Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Yeah, that's the one with the trailer on the back of it? I think he has a wood chipper or something attached onto it.

Yeah thats it – though in fairness to him if he waits to leave the cycle track clear, he can't see into traffic at all, all down to design.
    The roundabout is shocking, so dangerous. Particularly on the way into town when you join the road from the path literally at the bloody junction.

More poor design. The entire cycle track was nearly lost to grass overgrowing it until last year when they finally pulled it all back.

All just arguments to stick to the road. Sure even beyond the roundabout when the road narrows, there's an-on road cycled track thats far easier to use and arguably safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I use that route too, I opt for the road over the cycle track as much as possible but I've noticed a lot of cars pressing as close to the kerb as possible. Hard to know if it's purely to block cyclists from filtering though I suspect in a lot of cases it it. Have had a run in with a fella outbound one day, tore past e & pulled in as close to the kerb as possible then started shouting as I got near him about the cycle track. I regrettably engaged with him, though I kept it civil but he didn't want to hear anything, just wanted to get his rant in. Which is often the case sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I use that route too, I opt for the road over the cycle track as much as possible but I've noticed a lot of cars pressing as close to the kerb as possible. Hard to know if it's purely to block cyclists from filtering though I suspect in a lot of cases it it. Have had a run in with a fella outbound one day, tore past e & pulled in as close to the kerb as possible then started shouting as I got near him about the cycle track. I regrettably engaged with him, though I kept it civil but he didn't want to hear anything, just wanted to get his rant in. Which is often the case sadly.

It can be tight enough on the way out of town there. Occasionally you'll get impatient drivers behind you, in a massive rush to get to the next set of traffic lights/traffic jam.

There's also a big pile of glass and crap left over from a crash piled up in the cycle lane on the way out there as well. It isn't exactly ideal. There's to much sh1t in it that could give me a puncture.

With the weather like it is currently, i don't fancy having to change a tube in the pissings of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

site_owner wrote: »

What happened to Moyagh? Is she(?) gone? It's beyond ridiculous at this stage :(.

Also, on page 107 AND page 196 they have another yellow box

107:REMEMBER Cyclists you must obey the traffic lights and may only proceed past a green traffic light if safe to do so

196:Remember: Cyclists put themselves and other road users at risk when they do not stop as required at traffic lights

I haven't been able to find anything similar (yellow box, red REMEMBER) for motor vehicles of any kind breaking red lights.

That's shocking.

• Advertisement

What happened to Moyagh? Is she(?) gone? It's beyond ridiculous at this stage :(.

107:REMEMBER Cyclists you must obey the traffic lights and may only proceed past a green traffic light if safe to do so

196:Remember: Cyclists put themselves and other road users at risk when they do not stop as required at traffic lights

I haven't been able to find anything similar (yellow box, red REMEMBER) for motor vehicles of any kind breaking red lights.

That's shocking.

It looks like the bloody thing was written by an angry motorist. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the ROTR is worded as such because the DOTTAS decided they'd messed up the law change in 2012 and it did not legally have any standing. thus they instructed/advised the RSA to amend the ROTR to reflect the actual state of the law as they saw it - that the law specifies that cyclists should use cycling infrastructure where provided.
    it seems official attitudes to what the law *should* be may have softened a little, but i suspect DOTTAS will continue to maintain the 'the 2012 amendment did not actually change the law' because that would involve admitting they were wrong about their legal advice - even though that involves admitting they were wrong in 2012.
    it's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

the ROTR is worded as such because the DOTTAS decided they'd messed up the law change in 2012 and it did not legally have any standing. thus they instructed/advised the RSA to amend the ROTR to reflect the actual state of the law as they saw it - that the law specifies that cyclists should use cycling infrastructure where provided.
    it seems official attitudes to what the law *should* be may have softened a little, but i suspect DOTTAS will continue to maintain the 'the 2012 amendment did not actually change the law' because that would involve admitting they were wrong about their legal advice - even though that involves admitting they were wrong in 2012.
    it's a mess.

they made their minds up, but guess they havent changed the law yet :(:(
    “The Minister intends to amend the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations to clearly show that the use of cycle tracks is only mandatory for a cycle track in a pedestrianized area or for a contraflow cycle track,” said Jimmy Thompson, a spokesman for the Department of Transport. He added: “Officials in the Department are currently working on the regulations and it is hoped to have them in place in the near future.”

http://irishcycle.com/2017/11/21/cyclists-dont-have-to-use-cycle-lanes-ross-to-clear-confusion/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That's shocking.

The light rules are explained in the driving lesson book and question are asked about in the first exam.

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/traffic-lights.html#1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

site_owner wrote: »

B&A survey of cyclists said 84% of cyclists said use of cycle lanes should be mandatory??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Chiparus wrote: »
    B&A survey of cyclists said 84% of cyclists said use of cycle lanes should be mandatory??????

And over 3 in 4 cyclists think that cycle lanes/tracks are well designed and well maintained. :eek::eek::eek:

The bar for what those people interviewed consider well designed and maintained must be pretty low.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That whole report reads like they just looked out the office window for the "observation" and contacted a load of families and friends. It certainly wouldn't be representative of what I see everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

JazzyJ wrote: »
    And over 3 in 4 cyclists think that cycle lanes/tracks are well designed and well maintained. :eek::eek::eek:

The bar for what those people interviewed consider well designed and maintained must be pretty low.

It's patently obvious they didn't ask people actually cycling, eg by stopping commuters to ask them. Instead, they probably asked family and friends "Have you ever been on a bike? Yeah? Ok, do you think..."

Chiparus wrote: »
    B&A survey of cyclists said 84% of cyclists said use of cycle lanes should be mandatory if they were in good condition and not designed to fcuking kill us half the time.??????
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weepsie wrote: »
    That whole report reads like they just looked out the office window for the "observation" and contacted a load of families and friends. It certainly wouldn't be representative of what I see everyday.
    p15574 wrote: »
    It's patently obvious they didn't ask people actually cycling, eg by stopping commuters to ask them. Instead, they probably asked family and friends "Have you ever been on a bike? Yeah? Ok, do you think..."

I don't disagree with the sentiments, but B&A are a professional research company, so they wouldn't be asking 'family and friends'. Somewhere in the B&A full research report, there is a methodology stating how they defined 'cyclist' and how they found them. It would be interesting to see that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'have you cycled a bike in the last 28 days; had a conversation with someone who cycled a bike; or came into physical or sensory contact with a bike? that'll do...'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How are there not multiple cyclists going into the drink every day in Grand Canal Dock especially the bit in front of Bord Gais with the red poles sticking out of the ground? I sat there for half an hour today at rush hour waiting for a lift and saw a huge amount of crazy overtakes of pedestrians that left one or both tyres a couple of inches from the edge, these weren't pros either, they were all slow and wobbly in casual or office attire, especially anyone on a Dublin Bike, I actually made to jump out of my seat a couple of times, at one stage a guy brushed against a pedestrian, nearly lost control of his ancient MTB, wobbled through the tiny gap between a life ring pole and the water, his tyres were literally on the edge, another mm and he was gone.

There are those pronged metal things that boats tie up to all along the edge just to spice things up aswell (cleats?) but these arent the big ones you see on piers, they're tiny little yokes perfectly designed to trip a bike into the water. It really is amazing that you dont hear about it, a few people must have gotten a dunk in there by now.

Entertaining way to pass half an hour though, and great to see so many on bikes, it looked a bit like Amsterdam at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thargor wrote: »
    How are there not multiple cyclists going into the drink every day in Grand Canal Dock especially the bit in front of Bord Gais with the red poles sticking out of the ground? I sat there for half an hour today at rush hour waiting for a lift and saw a huge amount of crazy overtakes of pedestrians that left one or both tyres a couple of inches from the edge, these weren't pros either, they were all slow and wobbly in casual or office attire, especially anyone on a Dublin Bike, I actually made to jump out of my seat a couple of times, at one stage a guy brushed against a pedestrian, nearly lost control of his ancient MTB, wobbled through the tiny gap between a life ring pole and the water, his tyres were literally on the edge, another mm and he was gone.

There are those pronged metal things that boats tie up to all along the edge just to spice things up aswell (cleats?) but these arent the big ones you see on piers, they're tiny little yokes perfectly designed to trip a bike into the water. It really is amazing that you dont hear about it, a few people must have gotten a dunk in there by now.

Entertaining way to pass half an hour though, and great to see so many on bikes, it looked a bit like Amsterdam at times.

Walked home from work yesterday. Crossing Dorset street and 6 cyclists stopped at a red light. Another came along and tried to go past them and clipped a guy crossing the road in front of me. Not enough to knock him over but enough for the guy to be angry enough to throw a bottle of water he was carrying at him

Am I alone in getting annoyed when drivers use the bus lane? Punishment pass here around 43 seconds in, and the driver lost his rag when I knocked on his car (if you're close enough to be touched, you're too close!):

Taxi driver here, pulling out, checks for traffic but then decides to just pull out anyway. Lucky for the motorcyclist there was no car in the next lane.

• Advertisement

Just aswell none of the many pedestrians waiting to my left didn't pre-empt the green man, with the speed that bus was going!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just aswell none of the many pedestrians waiting to my left didn't pre-empt the green man, with the speed that bus was going!
    Taxi driver here, pulling out, checks for traffic but then decides to just pull out anyway. Lucky for the motorcyclist there was no car in the next lane.
    Am I alone in getting annoyed when drivers use the bus lane? Punishment pass here around 43 seconds in, and the driver lost his rag when I knocked on his car (if you're close enough to be touched, you're too close!):
    Just a typical day in Dublin. I was going to suggest that you contact Dublin Bus about yer man breaking the red light, but really, why would you bother? They'll just tell you to 'fill out the webform' and then they'll ignore it.

You're right to say something to yer man in the bus lane. Even if he loses the rag with you, he might think twice about it next time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not quite a near miss, but this lad gave us a reminder that you could be totally ****ed if someone's not paying attention while driving their truck:

Not a near miss - cyclist clipped by a van mirror:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-close-pass-irish-cyclist/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thats frightening, heart skips a beat looking at that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cycling through my estate this morning with my son on the Weeride seat, a taxi driver that was parked on the left hand side of the road went to pull out in front of us to do a u-turn without indicating or looking properly.

I let a shout at him (politely worded) and pointed at his mirror as I went past, needless to say he gesticulated wildly that I was somehow in the wrong. I pointed at my son on the bike and he calmed down and looked like he may have realised both that he was in the wrong and also the harm he could have caused.

I've said on here before about bike trailers and the amount of extra space I'm given when I have my son in his, which I see as indicative of people's unwillingness to endanger a child, with the flip side being their relative willingness to endanger an adult on their own. in this scenario I really didn't feel that he'd have calmed down so quickly if I was on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

That's a f***ing disgrace. The disregard for another persons safety is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Have Dublin Bus drivers been given an incentive to go faster? I've been taking buses a lot lately, and the buses are booting it along the badly-maintained Dublin road to such an extent that it's now the norm for people to ring the bell and then stand in place until the bus slows before making their way down to the door - navigating from stanchion to stanchion along the bus as they go. The crazy speeds seemed to start some time in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

This sh*t happens the whole time in Dublin (at least) - cars/trucks/buses flying along and go through lights as they turn red and like that bus there a little afterwards as well - stand at any junction at any time and you'll see it happen consistently.

This is very reckless and dangerous but apparently cyclists breaking lights is far more of an issue.
    Furthermore, any cyclist breaking a red light will check it's safe to do so, consequently not endangering peoples lives (not condoning breaking red lights).

(rant over!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement