Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Rechuchote wrote: »
    navigating from stanchion to stanchion along the bus as they go.

New word of the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    That's a f***ing disgrace. The disregard for another persons safety is sickening.

It's only a very small step away from attempted murder IMO.

Thats no mistake, it's someone who not only has a grudge against cyclists, but who indulges that grudge by deliberately driving close to them (and hitting them) with a 2.5 tonne vehicle at high speed. That individual has proved in those few seconds that he/she does not possess a mental state fit to hold a driving licence. Wilful endangerment of innocent lives needs to be made an example of. Licence should be taken off him and posted to the moon + prosecution for attempted murder with that footage as evidence. People need to be shocked into sitting up and taking notice in order to change their behaviours.

Won't happen of course, this is Ireland, the land of can't be arsed to change anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    It's been used forever in GAA match commentary. Is it really a new word for you?

It's been used forever in GAA match commentary. Is it really a new word for you?

I wouldn't watch a lot of GAA, certainly not before September in previous years. They never use it in cycling commentary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

They never use it in cycling commentary!

I always knew MTB suspension fork "legs"(tynes?) as stanchions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

marvin80 wrote: »
    This sh*t happens the whole time in Dublin (at least) - cars/trucks/buses flying along and go through lights as they turn red and like that bus there a little afterwards as well - stand at any junction at any time and you'll see it happen consistently.

This is very reckless and dangerous but apparently cyclists breaking lights is far more of an issue.
    Furthermore, any cyclist breaking a red light will check it's safe to do so, consequently not endangering peoples lives (not condoning breaking red lights).

(rant over!)
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Walked home from work yesterday. Crossing Dorset street and 6 cyclists stopped at a red light. Another came along and tried to go past them and clipped a guy crossing the road in front of me. Not enough to knock him over but enough for the guy to be angry enough to throw a bottle of water he was carrying at him

Marvin, try that sentence again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

ganmo wrote: »
    Marvin, try that sentence again

*The majority of cyclists!!

Essentially if you're a cyclist breaking a red light you're going to check for oncoming traffic, if you don't you're an idiot and it's not going to end well if a car/truck crosses your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Duckjob wrote: »
    It's only a very small step away from attempted murder IMO.

Thats no mistake, it's someone who not only has a grudge against cyclists, but who indulges that grudge by deliberately driving close to them (and hitting them) with a 2.5 tonne vehicle at high speed. That individual has proved in those few seconds that he/she does not possess a mental state fit to hold a driving licence. Wilful endangerment of innocent lives needs to be made an example of. Licence should be taken off him and posted to the moon + prosecution for attempted murder with that footage as evidence. People need to be shocked into sitting up and taking notice in order to change their behaviours.

Won't happen of course, this is Ireland, the land of can't be arsed to change anything :(

White van man and taxi drivers both bottom feeders when it comes to cyclists. Worst on the road in my experience,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    White van man and taxi drivers both bottom feeders when it comes to cyclists. Worst on the road in my experience,

I used to own a white van. Sad that I’m one of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

marvin80 wrote: »
    *The majority of cyclists!!

Essentially if you're a cyclist breaking a red light you're going to check for oncoming traffic, if you don't you're an idiot and it's not going to end well if a car/truck crosses your path.

Actually I wouldn’t qualify degrees of idiocy here, if you’re running a red in a car, van, truck, on a bike or even on foot you’re a bit of an idiot. Doesn’t stop us all from doing it at some point though. I’ve seen a lot from buses running though 4 way junctions on a red, cyclist flying through pedestrian crossings, pedestrians walking in to a road in front of me while looking right me and parents crossing roads against the pedestrian lights with the buggy in the traffic lane. People are morons. Theres loooooooads more to add to that list. People are stupid. Excusing one group of stupid people based on an assumed risk assessment is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What would you call them? I just reached for the handiest word.
    Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Actually I wouldn’t qualify degrees of idiocy here… People are stupid. Excusing one group of stupid people based on an assumed risk assessment is ridiculous.

My own opinion, but the red light jumpers (on bicycles) that I see are nearly all young lads all in black, no lights, but the glow of self-assumed immortality lighting all around them.

It's my theory that the reason for this is the lack of safe infrastructure. Bear with me a moment.

Women, in general, are reluctant to ride bicycles on our city streets, because they feel unsafe among the reckless drivers. And parents are reluctant to allow their children to cycle for the same reason. (In fact I've heard drivers, without so much as a whiff of irony, express shock at the careless parenting of people who do allow their children to cycle, or who carry their children on bikes.) Old people tend to abandon cycling after the second or third time they're knocked off the bike.

The result of the lack of women, children and old people is that there is no example of normal careful bicycle riding as the main mode of city cycling. So whizzing along as if alone on the road is normalised for young lads.

Not that red light jumping is the norm, but I reckon it's more so than it would be if the bicycle-riding population were more normally balanced and came from both sexes and all ages.

And of course if there were safe infrastructure. But apparently that's too much to ask of our politicians, who see granny grants as a better vote getter. (Time for cyclists to get out on the canvass, especially in areas where anti-cycling-infrastructure ministers and TDs are standing for election.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My own opinion, but the red light jumpers (on bicycles) that I see are nearly all young lads all in black, no lights, but the glow of self-assumed immortality lighting all around them.
    I have to say, that's not my experience. RLJers (on bikes and in cars) come in all sizes, shapes, ages and genders - young and old, male and female, lycra louts and hipster beards, older people and parents with kids or kid seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Well the Dublin Bus announcer voice says:
    Please hold the hand rails when moving through the bus.

'Poles' is simpler, but I like your word better.

Not a near miss as such due to some quality driving and awareness. Car in front of us passes 2 lads on their bikes on the footpath and he's soon turning left. The lads hop down onto the road behind him and he obviously spots them as he's about to turn and then likely loses them in the rvm. Worried they've gone up the inside he slows to a stop as he's about to turn. Lads looked they were thinking about it too from were i was but opted for the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Friday evening, worst left hook in a while.

Thursday morning, she's actually holding a normal mug in 1 hand. not a travel mug, just a regular mug. that I remember and from what the video shows, she never once looked in my direction. I had a bright flashing light on my bike so not exactly hard to see if she had looked...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Last week nearly ran head on into a guy on a weird electric scooter going the wrong way down a cycletrack.

I have seen him a lot, more often than not going the wrong way yet he totally stands his ground, staying dead central on the track at full speed, as though he is in the right to be going the direction he is (let alone the legality of the scooter), and expecting others to get out of his way.

As you see no head or leg movement at all it is all the more surprising, as you see a guy in the distance who looks like he is walking, but he is actually pissing along. It must be much more powerful than the other scooters you see.

Looks something like this, guy looks spanish or brazilian.
    toucan20e.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »
    As you see no head or leg movement at all it is all the more surprising, as you see a guy in the distance who looks like he is walking, but he is actually pissing along. It must be much more powerful than the other scooters you see.

If its on the N11 I think it tops out at just over 30kmph based on my own speed, although the guy I meet is always on the correct side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »
    If its on the N11
    Yes, N11 and leopardtown road, I have seen him in other places too. I think he goes one route and then backwards on the same path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Last week nearly ran head on into a guy on a weird electric scooter going the wrong way down a cycletrack.

I have seen him a lot, more often than not going the wrong way yet he totally stands his ground, staying dead central on the track at full speed, as though he is in the right to be going the direction he is (let alone the legality of the scooter), and expecting others to get out of his way.

I've an electric motor on my bike and that kind of thing annoys me. It's going to give them a bad name. Ebikes are great for daily commuting. No more worries about winds or hills and a bit more acceleration is handy when you're dealing with traffic.
    Generally the motors are artificially limited to about 25kmph on the bikes, but they're generally capable of higher speeds. This guy might have disabled it or never had one in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've an electric motor on my bike and that kind of thing annoys me. It's going to give them a bad name. Ebikes are great for daily commuting. No more worries about winds or hills and a bit more acceleration is handy when you're dealing with traffic.
    Generally the motors are artificially limited to about 25kmph on the bikes, but they're generally capable of higher speeds. This guy might have disabled it or never had one in the first place.
    Different kettle of fish. The bike assists, the scooter is always mechanically propelled. Push to get moving likely wouldn't fall within the law (yet untested).

I'd be giving him a right earful if I met him oncoming like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

ED E wrote: »
    Different kettle of fish. The bike assists, the scooter is always mechanically propelled. Push to get moving likely wouldn't fall within the law (yet untested).

I'd be giving him a right earful if I met him oncoming like that.

GET the front wheel up. Into a wheelie and let him move or take the hit to the head lol

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

just got a hostile pass by a mercedes near my house. went to the shop (850m) so no cameras.

500m normal straight road, left turn that always gets cut, then about 200m narrow with cars usually parked on both sides before turning into the estate.

as usual there was a parked car blocking the cycle lane on before the left (entrance to park) so i took the lane, car in front was holding me up, maybe 35kmh
    kept the lane through the left, car in front went on straight.

parked car blocking the lane after left after the turn (post office) so i kept the lane.
    its <100 m now to the estate and its a sharp left with speed bump and car parked on the junction on the opposite side (as usual) so i keep the lane and indicate.

hear engine roar behind me, mercedes passes under heavy acceleration inches from me (bit of tyre squeal for good luck)
    let a roar at him as i turn left, see him caught up to the car ahead in less than 50m

dickhead

site_owner wrote: »
    just got a hostile pass by a mercedes near my house. went to the shop (850m) so no cameras.

500m normal straight road, left turn that always gets cut, then about 200m narrow with cars usually parked on both sides before turning into the estate.

as usual there was a parked car blocking the cycle lane on before the left (entrance to park) so i took the lane, car in front was holding me up, maybe 35kmh
    kept the lane through the left, car in front went on straight.

parked car blocking the lane after left after the turn (post office) so i kept the lane.
    its <100 m now to the estate and its a sharp left with speed bump and car parked on the junction on the opposite side (as usual) so i keep the lane and indicate.

hear engine roar behind me, mercedes passes under heavy acceleration inches from me (bit of tyre squeal for good luck)
    let a roar at him as i turn left, see him caught up to the car ahead in less than 50m

dickhead

Not a close pass, but had something similar yesterday. Cycling in the right hand lane of a one way system; left lane backed up with cars the length of the street. Hear a toot behind me. Start hearing more. Look back and realise the it's car behind me. He starts waving like mad to get out of the way so I wave back :D. Not sure what he wanted me to do. There was a solid line of cars on both sides between traffic and parked cars. Fairly certain he was just skipping the line of traffic too and merged into the left lane once he got to the end of the right hand lane. Can't be certain because I was well ahead by the time he got that far :rolleyes:. On the Dock Road in Galway for those that know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

xckjoo wrote: »
    Hear a toot behind me. Start hearing more. Look back and realise the it's car behind me. He starts waving like mad to get out of the way so I wave back :D.

Brilliant response. I've heard others recommend blowing of kisses in such situations, but I never quite remember it at the time.

Brilliant response. I've heard others recommend blowing of kisses in such situations, but I never quite remember it at the time.

It wasn't quite as smooth as I made out but I kept my cool and kept my space on the road. I used to get annoyed until I realised it's only effecting me so try to let these things go. Plus to be honest it's far more satisfying to leave them stewing. They expect the reaction and leaving them without if more frustrating :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've just left my job for a shiny new one across town extending my commute significantly. My lovely former work colleagues bought me a GoPro Hero 2018 as a going away gift. I did a test run of the new route today and this was the only incident fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

toucan20e.jpg
    CramCycle wrote: »
    If its on the N11 I think it tops out at just over 30kmph based on my own speed, although the guy I meet is always on the correct side.
    Yes, N11 and leopardtown road, I have seen him in other places too. I think he goes one route and then backwards on the same path.

Seem him a few mornings including today.....up leeson st, through donnybrook and up the n11.

This was about 6.45.

The wheels are much smaller that the picture.

He zipps along at some pace.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ludicrous-electric-scooter-law-needs-to-be-changed-says-td-37074517.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Ignore the saddle bag..bad angle selected..

this lad wasnt giving me much space!

• Advertisement

Maddening considering the nice pass the Nissan made right afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement