Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah they never go well no matter how good your argument. Best not to engage imo... as hard as that may be.

I've found mocking the size of their endowment a great way of dealing with idiots in cars. It momentarily confuses them and instantly defuses a situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P_1 wrote: »
    I've found mocking the size of their endowment a great way of dealing with idiots in cars.
    'ha ha, your father did not leave you enough money to pay your college fees *and* sustain your drug hait'
    that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This taxi driver almost went right through me this morning, I couldn't believe it, I was heading down O'Connell St. When we pulls right across me, for no reason, as there was a bus pulling in ahead.:confused:
    Reg numbers and taxi driver numbers can be found in the youtube video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

papu wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYnXOqRbaE&feature=youtu.be

This taxi driver almost went right through me this morning, I couldn't believe it, I was heading down O'Connell St. When we pulls right across me, for no reason, as there was a bus pulling in ahead.:confused:

Considering the bus up ahead, He wasn’t a fan of you leaving the cycle lane and was pushing you back in. This type of behaviour is unbelievable. Some people really don’t realise the damage they could do if they get it wrong.

I’d have done exactly as you did with truck and bus, sometimes you just can’t win. I’ve found a little mirror at the end of the handlebar is invaluable. You can take the lane but if someone is that much of an asshole you can at least move in towards kerb just as they reach you to negate the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

What's really odd after all that is that the driver leaves you plenty of space on the inside at the lights. The generosity of the bullying motorist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

'ha ha, your father did not leave you enough money to pay your college fees *and* sustain your drug hait'
    that sort of thing?

Well usually its another type of endowment but I might just add that to the repertoire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Sure that may not have been a punishment swerve at all. He may not even have been looking out the windscreen as he was rolling past you. He was probably just checking something on his phone, or climbing into the back seat to get his breakfast roll. You're not the centre of the universe you know! :eek::eek:

Also, I'm sure that the footage must have been sped up somehow as I'm sure a professional driver would never be breaching the 30km/h motor vehicle speed limit on O'Connell St. ;)

In other news I spotted a motorist complete a near perfect left hook on a cyclist on a shared footpath based cycletrack. They spotted the cyclist from several hundred metres away (big sightlines on this stretch of road). They slowed just enough to reach the corner as the cyclist was about to continue straight on. The indicators were flicked on and the steering wheel was turned hard left.

Unfortunately for the driver, the cyclist was alive to the danger and jammed on. The driver was startled by this development and stopped in sympathy. The cyclist continued on with nary a sideways glance at the loolah that had nearly flattened them. The driver then beeped in anger at having their prey escape their clutches. They were shouting to themselves as they finally made the turn.

As an observer on the adjoining road I could do little more than wag my finger at them and shout the broad colloquial equivalent of "Your capacity to utilise your mental faculties is substantially less than your parents would have hoped for". They looked up at me in surprise and possibly, I'd like to think, a minute flicker of shame.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

check_six wrote: »
    In other news I spotted a motorist complete a near perfect left hook on a cyclist on a shared footpath based cycletrack.
    If the cyclist was on the footpath then from your story it sounds like they almost cycled straight out into the oncoming turning car.
    The car should have anticipated it but the blame would be mainly with the cyclist had anything happened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

If the cyclist was on the footpath then from your story it sounds like they almost cycled straight out into the oncoming turning car.
    The car should have anticipated it but the blame would be mainly with the cyclist had anything happened.

You might want to have a little read again:

In other news I spotted a motorist complete a near perfect left hook on a cyclist on a shared footpath based cycletrack.

It was a mixed use cycle lane. The incident itself highlights how **** it is as a piece of infrastructure too by the sounds of things, and reading your reaction.

nee wrote: »
    It was a mixed use cycle lane. The incident itself highlights how **** it is as a piece of infrastructure too by the sounds of things, and reading your reaction.

Yeah, it was a half footpath half cycle track. The cycletrack rejoins the road about 10 metres from each junction. Obviously to this particular motorist they felt that the cyclist should be able to yield to someone who was behind them up until the last second or two before the turn. Junctions are a hazard anyway, but this design does not help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah, it was a half footpath half cycle track. The cycletrack rejoins the road about 10 metres from each junction. Obviously to this particular motorist they felt that the cyclist should be able to yield to someone who was behind them up until the last second or two before the turn. Junctions are a hazard anyway, but this design does not help.

Alot of those cycle paths have a yield sign painted on them when merging onto the road, why they don't have a sign at eye height, I don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alot of those cycle paths have a yield sign painted on them when merging onto the road, why they don't have a sign at eye height, I don't know.

Firing people out within 10m of a junction is a fundamentally flawed piece of infrastructure. This is the number one reason I avoid almost all cycle paths like the plague. Motorists blindness to a whole traffic lane to their left is astounding, but these lanes are also more often than not designed to make the cyclist a surprise on the motorists' left.
    I don't think mixed use paths really work either but that's another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

nee wrote: »
    Firing people out within 10m of a junction is a fundamentally flawed piece of infrastructure. This is the number one reason I avoid almost all cycle paths like the plague. Motorists blindness to a whole traffic lane to their left is astounding, but these lanes are also more often than not designed to make the cyclist a surprise on the motorists' left.
    I don't think mixed use paths really work either but that's another discussion.

Is Ireland, we half arse do things and that won't change in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

depends on if by 'rejoins the road' check_six means this, with no yield that continues as a lane on the road through the junction, 

457156.PNG

or this that drops you into the main lane at a junction?

457157.PNG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the first of those two is dangerous anyway if leading up to a junction; because the motorist should still yield to the cyclist if turning left, but often won't register them because the motorist's mental radar is focussing on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

the first of those two is dangerous anyway if leading up to a junction; because the motorist should still yield to the cyclist if turning left, but often won't register them because the motorist's mental radar is focussing on the road.

If the "slip on" starts 20m ahead of the junction its fine, problem is the ones that do it 3m before.

For example, one of the very few bits of infra that SDCC have managed to not mess up.

BcdFfQj.jpg

ED E wrote: »
    If the "slip on" starts 20m ahead of the junction its fine, problem is the ones that do it 3m before.
    20m is not enough, that's about four or five cars parked bumper to bumper.
    the image you posted shows probably 60m or more.

Yeah its more like 70m + but thats a road that doesn't provide any access to side streets so has the facility for a long transition. In most locations thats not possible but 30m anyways should be enough if not 20m.

In the second photo (track dumps you on to the road at 90 degrees to the flow of traffic) there is a yield sign because the track is a wonky design and it is a get out clause for the engineer.

In the second photo (track slips down on to the main carriageway) there are a few varieties of swerving through turning lanes and disappearing completely. I'm sure I've seen one with a yield at the junction (there's that famous one in Galway, Doughiska something). What does that even mean? You're travelling on the main road with the right of way and then BOOM! yield to everyone? Is it yield to people swinging a right turn from the other side of the road? Is it yield to people at the red light on the adjoining road? Is it yield to people behind you who are still making up their mind what they would like to do at the junction? Does it mean everyone else at the junction can have a free hit at you and it is your fault? It makes no sense to turn you into a free target and is a disgraceful dereliction of duty of care on the behalf of the road designers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Can anyone tell me the significance of the bicycle signs on the road on Bird Avenue?

Was it because they forgot to put bicycle lanes when they narrowed the road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Taxi mans teaching you a lesson. Have this daily in the shared bus / bike lane just around the corner. Had some oaf in a taxi follow me westbound on the south quays, laying on his horn for about 300 yards the other evening. Plenty of space to overtake. He really needs to get that horn on his car looked at, because it was miking his face very red as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I cycle through KCR to Templeogue Bridge every day both ways. When i'm using the cycle path, who has right of way? Is it drivers turning into or coming out of adjoining roads?

I think all roads into the left (off the main road) have the cycle path continuing (the red speed ramp) through the road.

Do i have to yield to drivers turning in? Also, are drivers allowed straddle the path/speed ramp as they are waiting to turn out onto the main road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I cycle through KCR to Templeogue Bridge every day both ways. When i'm using the cycle path, who has right of way? Is it drivers turning into or coming out of adjoining roads?

I think all roads into the left (off the main road) have the cycle path continuing (the red speed ramp) through the road.

Do i have to yield to drivers turning in? Also, are drivers allowed straddle the path/speed ramp as they are waiting to turn out onto the main road.

You should provide some links to the junctions you mention. But who has right of way depends. If a vehicle ahead has its left indicator on and is moving to make the turn then you must yield as a cyclist and allow them to turn. But if you are ahead and approaching a junction where you intend to proceed straight, a car must yield to you and cannot force an overtake to make a left turn across you.

All vehicles/bicycles using auxiliary roads to the left must yield to you. They cannot straddle the path of the main road waiting to turn.

You should provide some links to the junctions you mention. But who has right of way depends. If a vehicle ahead has its left indicator on and is moving to make the turn then you must yield as a cyclist and allow them to turn. But if you are ahead and approaching a junction where you intend to proceed straight, a car must yield to you and cannot force an overtake to make a left turn across you.

All vehicles/bicycles using auxiliary roads to the left must yield to you. They cannot straddle the path of the main road waiting to turn.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3018846,-6.3095349,3a,75y,188.71h,92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2jnbhu8J_S0cJsI-Qt7z6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

For example, that junction there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oh I get ya. In that case you must yield on both counts, cars turning in and cars waiting to move out. A car can straddle the track when waiting to enter the main road in this case. Terrible road design and I can't say I would use that track. I was thinking it was an on-road type.

Oh I get ya. In that case you must yield on both counts, cars turning in and cars waiting to move out. A car can straddle the track when waiting to enter the main road in this case. Terrible road design and I can't say I would use that track. I was thinking it was an on-road type.

Thanks for that. It's fairly bumpy, particularly at the junctions.

Some mornings, there's a lorry that pulls out from one of those junctions which takes up the ramp and a good bit of road. I usually have to go out onto the main road as he finds it hard to get out due to traffic and it's not possible to go around him.

Love this in the most recent 2018 rules of the road:

457240.png

That's not correct is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Thanks for that. It's fairly bumpy, particularly at the junctions.

Some mornings, there's a lorry that pulls out from one of those junctions which takes up the ramp and a good bit of road. I usually have to go out onto the main road as he finds it hard to get out due to traffic and it's not possible to go around him.

Landscaping truck by any chance?

Use this route too and have opted to use the road instead for >12 years at this stage. Yield signs on cycle track are faded, there are so many junctions and each one means you have to yield in 3 directions - traffic from behind turning left, traffic from the estates, and traffic coming from in front of you which may be turning into the estate.

To top it all off, if heading towards town, you get forced left at the roundabout. Trying to rejoin at the roundabout is suicidal, as most motorists at that point are paying attention to traffic coming from their right side. One more irritation is the roundabout sign is at the perfect height to block a drivers view of you if they're entering from Templeogue college side.

Sorry, rant over.

In all fairness tho, I've only ever had one person beep and gesture towards the track in all my years using that route. This lad happened to properly lose the plot, but thats another story :)

• Advertisement

Landscaping truck by any chance?

Use this route too and have opted to use the road instead for >12 years at this stage. Yield signs on cycle track are faded, there are so many junctions and each one means you have to yield in 3 directions - traffic from behind turning left, traffic from the estates, and traffic coming from in front of you which may be turning into the estate.

To top it all off, if heading towards town, you get forced left at the roundabout. Trying to rejoin at the roundabout is suicidal, as most motorists at that point are paying attention to traffic coming from their right side. One more irritation is the roundabout sign is at the perfect height to block a drivers view of you if they're entering from Templeogue college side.

Sorry, rant over.

In all fairness tho, I've only ever had one person beep and gesture towards the track in all my years using that route. This lad happened to properly lose the plot, but thats another story :)

Yeah, that's the one with the trailer on the back of it? I think he has a wood chipper or something attached onto it.

The roundabout is shocking, so dangerous. Particularly on the way into town when you join the road from the path literally at the bloody junction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement