Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bit delivery mans finger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What you on about? Cooped up? Fearfull? Do you know the dog? Getting ahead of yourself there.....

The dog has an acre of grass and freedom to roam around on when it needs to go outside for a few hours during the day. I can walk the dog without a leash in public it wouldn't bat an eye lid at a stranger

It can be argued that the dog did act out of fear, a stranger shoving something in a family members direction can be seen as a threat in the dogs eyes.....

Negligible part from my side is not having a sign up to keep people out
    it's there now anyway

I looked at the video again, dog is barking at him and hair and tail standing up. That's a warning to stay away. He doesn't even look in it's direction. Could have been avoided if he even considered the dog in the slightest as a threat.

Too casual, didn't pay attention, he got bit. Doesn't make it right but could have been avoided

Yeah, avoided by you as you are ultimately responsible. The delivery guy could easily have walked up your front door and would you be confident your dog wouldn't harm him? You need signs and a locked gate, at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Your attitude is actually scary OP. I feel really sorry for your dog and hope you take precautions to ensure he is properly trained. Next time it could be more serious. A dog that goes for someone like that can't be trusted. I hope you don't have small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

there is no enclosure, its my garden, dogs have every right to be there. Nothing wrong with electrical fence, keeps them from finding a way out of the garden or digging their way out under the fence or hedging somewhere

An alarm, what use is that if no-one can hear it? garda don't rush too often, all ya need is 10 minutes to clean a house out. So neither of the above is any use for protecting your home unless you live next door to the station and the garda listen out for your house alarm

No idea why you opened this thread when you`ve only time for people who tell you what you want to hear rather than posters (and not just me) who have told you the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It's a dog, not a weapon. To train him to be so aggressive is just pure selfish. This thread is so upsetting from an animal welfare point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

The delivery driver now has probably gone back to the depot after his trip to A&E described what happened to his mates. His friends may advise him to seek legal advice. OP just to be on the safe side I suggest you do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Even if the OP had a "beware of the dog" sign on the gate, would it make any difference to his responsibility/liability if the dog attacks a visitor/trespasser?

I didn't think so, but I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Totally in the wrong here OP. Dog should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

I've no ego to swallow I've nothing a against the delivery driver or an apologie or giving him a few quid within reason, just think he should be more careful with the nature of his job encountering angry dogs every day, this could have been avoided if he paid any attention to the dog at all

Its his job to deliver mail, not to spend the day trying to figure weather or not a dog is likely to attack him or not.

Furthermore, if the dog was accompanied by an adult which he probably mistook for the owner, he had every right to believe that there was no danger to him.

I also don't agree that the postman was even partially responsible. It's the responsibility of the owner to control dogs no matter where they are, be it on private property or in a public park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Even if the OP had a "beware of the dog" sign on the gate, would it make any difference to his responsibility/liability if the dog attacks a visitor/trespasser?

I didn't think so, but I'm open to correction on that.

No it doesn't and can leave you open as it can be argued that you knew the dog was aggressive before hand.
    Having a sign saying dog wandering freely gets the message across and doesn't imply danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

nhunter100 wrote: »
    The delivery driver now has probably gone back to the depot after his trip to A&E described what happened to his mates. His friends may advise him to seek legal advice. OP just to be on the safe side I suggest you do the same.

This is probably the best advice you will get on this thread OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

OP, you blame the delivery man for "not even looking in the dogs direction".
    Is it not accepted wisdom that in such situations, the person does not enter a staring contest with the animal, and thereby challenge it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Garden is fenced off properly, has an electric fence as well to keep dogs away from the fence and a large farm gate about chest high.
    Did it keep the dogs away from it this time? If not, consider getting a higher fence. This time it's only an adults finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

No idea why you opened this thread when you`ve only time for people who tell you what you want to hear rather than posters (and not just me) who have told you the way it is.

ahhh think ya just get carried away replying to all the posts, ya swear I trained the dog up from birth to kill postmen and intruders from some of the posts on here, and went out of my way to set up the garden in way that people will get bit. Just want to protect my house is all

The dog overall behaves well and does listen to me when I need it to. It is very protective and has a dislike for strangers when they go near her territory and biting is out of character, I don't encourage her to hate people and correct the dogs aggressiveness where possible or it's inappropriate, barking at people that come to the fense is perfectly normal for a dog but went too far this time and I wasn't there to control it, so fair enough if the blame falls on me

A dog is a great guard and will keep most people away unless ya have house full of brilliant jewels, they will rob ya if they really want to anyway

Sounds like there is a lot more responsibility on the owner when the dog is on your property, I wasn't aware of that. Not ideal but what can you do, gonna have to sort out a few things to keep the public a bit further away from the dog

I'll get onto your man see how he is, try get this sorted out of court

Thanks for all the post been an entertaining day!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The dog has an acre of grass and freedom to roam around on when it needs to go outside for a few hours during the day. I can walk the dog without a leash in public it wouldn't bat an eye lid at a stranger

No way should you be walking that dog without a leash. If you're worried about being sued now imagine if a child lost their face?

I've never heard a more irresponsible dog owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

bell is hidden for a reason, anyone can come around ringing to see if the house is empty, postmen or delivery men know where it is

only thing I am missing is a beware of dog sign

dogs were clearly visible anyway so don't think instructions are relevant in this case

You're excuse for hiding the bell for your house (the normal, everyday means of alerting you that someone is trying to deliver or visit) is amazing, ridiculous and very hard to make sense of.

Not everyone can read dogs well. A dog of any breed barking and wagging the tail can mean funtime for some people (frisbie!?). But some dogs bark and wag when they mean business (intruder?!).

You have a responsibility to people and your dog. Now a person is injured and you're dog is vulnerable to hysterical reactions to your carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Why on earth are you ordering stuff to be delivered to your home address, when you know there are dogs likely to bite the delivery people when they attempt to deliver the goods you have asked them to?

How do you expect the deliveries to be made?

And then blame a poor old joe soap only trying to do his job. Some delivery people are only paid for their successful deliveries. Thy also need a signature, not just keave stuff in a postbox.

The issue is with you op. Excuse the pun, Its not just the dogs who are barking!

I'm a dog lover and find there's usually not bad dogs, just bad owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ahhh think ya just get carried away replying to all the posts, ya swear I trained the dog up from birth to kill postmen and intruders from some of the posts on here, and went out of my way to set up the garden in way that people will get bit. Just want to protect my house is all

The dog overall behaves well and does listen to me when I need it to. It is very protective and has a dislike for strangers when they go near her territory and biting is out of character, I don't encourage her to hate people and correct the dogs aggressiveness where possible or it's inappropriate, barking at people that come to the fense is perfectly normal for a dog but went too far this time and I wasn't there to control it, so fair enough if the blame falls on me

A dog is a great guard and will keep most people away unless ya have house full of brilliant jewels, they will rob ya if they really want to anyway

Sounds like there is a lot more responsibility on the owner when the dog is on your property, I wasn't aware of that. Not ideal but what can you do, gonna have to sort out a few things to keep the public a bit further away from the dog

I'll get onto your man see how he is, try get this sorted out of court

Thanks for all the post been an entertaining day!!

I've known plenty of dogs and have had loads barking at me and to be honest I have barked back at a few. I've helped catch dogs after they got out through open gates. I've only known one dog that frightened me and it was a dog that had no training or solicitation It let me tickle it's stomach in the hall but once I went into the back garden it gave me warning to get out and I never went near it again, the owners family where terrified of the dog. I've never known a dog which had to be controlled with an electric fence

It's illegal to lay booby traps for thieving scum and there are plenty of legitimate ways to protect yourself in your own home now. Having a dog is a great alarm but that's all it should be. Your dog might be a lamb with you but unfortunately dogs aren't like us and only respond to the alpha and if not properly trained attack whatever they see as a treat.

The worse thing from this thread is that it appears that you have taken a highly territorial untrained dog which can't be controlled by anyone but you and put it somewhere worse than a garden where it has to be contained by an electric fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Any post this morning op? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

OP the first step is to ring the delvery driver and see how he is.

Secondly, the person who was with the dogs clearly doesn't have control of them, among other steps you need to ensure that everyone who is in control of the dog is actually in control, or has the where with all to shut the dog into the house to avoid these kind of conflicts. I don't understand how the person who was with the dogs allowed this to happen to be honest.

The driver is not to blame. It is not his job to assess the temperment of the dogs. Not all barking is the same and his job is to deliver stuff not to be a dog physic!

Personally I think like most things, its best to go the decent route first, and check that the guy is ok before going any legal route.

If I was the delviery guy and I got bitten and the owner lacked the decency to ring and see how I was then I would be angry enough with him to sue him, but if he was decent about it, you would probably just forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

anna080 wrote: »
    Any Registered post this morning op? :pac:

fixed your post, anna. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Regardless of owner handling, I can't believe anyone would hang over a fence where there is a hostile dog. A bit of cop on would have prevented injury. Stand well back and request that the OP come outside to sign for the package, or alternatively just throw the package over the fence.

percy212 wrote:
    Regardless of owner handling, I can't believe anyone would hang over a fence where there is a hostile dog. A bit of cop on would have prevented injury. Stand well back and request that the OP come outside to sign for the package, or alternatively just throw the package over the fence.

Dogs under control would have prevented injury as well , or OP arranging collection from a local shop/depot would also have prevented injury due to hostile dogs. Btw nowhere did the OP say the delivery guy was hanging over the fence. Can people not read?

I can read. Can you?
    Brave delivery man first tried to open the gate and stroll in well aware of the two dogs barking at him, bullmastif and cocker. My friend waved from inside the house and told him to wait

He was leaning over the gate with his two hands and notepad, as my friend walked up to him the two dogs were at his hip going mad at the delivery man, the postman stuck his hands further over the fence to show his notepad and the bulmastiff snatched his finger.

I recon it's your mans fault for not being cautious and swinging his arms around over the gate, house is properly fenced and has a postbox outside for a reason.

percy212 wrote:
    I can read. Can you?

I suggest you read the rest of the OP's posts and note the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Stick up the CCTV op ,clear it all up :)

Stick up the CCTV op ,clear it all up

Doesn't matter whether he has CCTV or not, the OP is liable. His best bet is legal advice or try to come to a mutually acceptable arrangement with the driver assuming of course the driver wants to make an issue out of what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I know I just wanna see it at this stage

I know I just wanna see it at this stage

Well unless the OP gets the permission of his mate and the delivery driver data protection precludes him from showing it.

NHunter is getting fierce worked up about everybody behaving themselves out in the world, and in here. Stressful being the guardian of all that is good and right!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

percy212 wrote: »
    NHunter is getting fierce worked up about everybody behaving themselves out in the world, and in here. Stressful being the guardian of all that is good and right!

At least s/he's not back-seat moderating.
    Give it a rest please. Everyone is allowed have their say as long as they do so within charter and boards guidelines, without smart-arse comments like yours.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement