Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bit delivery mans finger

Options
  • 21-03-2017 12:25pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭


    my dog just bit delivery man, he said he has to report it.

    Whats next or what to expect?

    Garden is fenced off properly, has an electric fence as well to keep dogs away from the fence and a large farm gate about chest high.

    Brave delivery man first tried to open the gate and stroll in well aware of the two dogs barking at him, bullmastif and cocker. My friend waved from inside the house and told him to wait

    He was leaning over the gate with his two hands and notepad, as my friend walked up to him the two dogs were at his hip going mad at the delivery man, the postman stuck his hands further over the fence to show his notepad and the bulmastiff snatched his finger.

    Not trying to fluff up story - have it on CCTV - might post the link

    I recon it's your mans fault for not being cautious and swinging his arms around over the gate, house is properly fenced and has a postbox outside for a reason. ---- only thing I'm missing is a beware of dog sign....... on my to do list....

    Don't think he has a right for a claim, what you think?


«1345678

Comments

  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    If he had an ounce of cop on he would've took out his phone and rang you to come out and sign for the package.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez


    This post has been deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin


    So he wasn't actually on your property when this happened? I don't know legally where you stand but he would have to report it to his manager especially if it required taking a break from work for treatment.

    Agree that blaming him isn't helpful. What happens when other callers come to the house, people passing etc.

    You probably won't be allowed post the link here btw


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100


    my dog just bit delivery man, he said he has to report it.


    So was it a delivery man or postman ? Was it a letter which would fit in a postbox or was it a parcel that required a signature?


  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1


    Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

    I only seen from cameras, but finger was bleeding kinda heavy apparently, and I've no problem if he has to follow procedure and report it. He was kind of alright about the situation but wasn't too happy obviously.

    My dogs are under control they are on my property and fenced in and behind an electric fence.

    Not blaming the victim here but a bit of cop on goes a long way, if there is a 50kg dog going mental at me over a fence or gate there not a hope i would put myself in a position where it can reach me. and if i do i would take responsibility for sticking my hand in


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin


    I think by staying outside the property he was being careful. He is not to blame here. It's your duty to ensure your dogs are under control at all times, that includes while they are on your property.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc


    It reminds me of the guy who got €7k after being bitten through the letterbox. I didn't agree with it at the time but it might set a precedent.

    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/pizza-delivery-man-gets-7000-after-dog-bites-hand-through-letterbox-29064094.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1


    eviltwin wrote: »
    So he wasn't actually on your property when this happened? I don't know legally where you stand but he would have to report it to his manager especially if it required taking a break from work for treatment.

    Agree that blaming him isn't helpful. What happens when other callers come to the house, people passing etc.

    You probably won't be allowed post the link here btw

    No it wasn't on my property, he was over the other side of the gate and leaned over to show his notepad or get a signature, he just didn't expect the dog would pounce for him

    The dogs bark at people passing by they don't go too close to fence because they are afraid of the electric fence, it's a back country road and the fence is away from any passers by at least 6-8 feet if they are on my side of the road.
    So on a normal day there about 20 feet from the dog to the person walking by

    Postman has a door bell to ring when he needs a signature and people know not to stroll in unless the dogs know them


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu


    My dogs are under control ...
    Well apparently not, unless you wanted them to bite him.
    Not blaming the victim here but a bit of cop on goes a long way,
    Sadly not everyone has cop on. Imagine if this was a child. Take this as a warning; you need to reassess how close your dog gets to the public. You are responsible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1


    nhunter100 wrote: »
    So was it a delivery man or postman ? Was it a letter which would fit in a postbox or was it a parcel that required a signature?

    NEW delivery man, and signature I think


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100


    NEW delivery man, and signature I think


    So why didn't you leave instructions that there was a bell to ring for a signature? New delivery man didn't know the story. Sorry but I think you are fully are fault here. However if there is a claim your home insurance will to the best of my knowledge cover it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez


    This post has been deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1


    eviltwin wrote: »
    I think by staying outside the property he was being careful. He is not to blame here. It's your duty to ensure your dogs are under control at all times, that includes while they are on your property.

    the dogs are there to keep people out, that's their job to warn me and go for anyone trespassing

    anyone that has a need to come onto the property, gets introduced to the dog properly by me and the dogs are fine but still cautious of the stranger


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly


    You're totally to blame here OP. This man was trying to carry out his job and the dog bit him. No ifs ands and buts about it.

    You say people know not to go near the dog like people are psychic. A lot of people would presume a dog not on a lease is not vicious.

    A dog is not under control if it bites someone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1


    nhunter100 wrote: »
    So why didn't you leave instructions that there was a bell to ring for a signature? New delivery man didn't know the story. Sorry but I think you are fully are fault here. However if there is a claim your home insurance will to the best of my knowledge cover it.

    bell is hidden for a reason, anyone can come around ringing to see if the house is empty, postmen or delivery men know where it is

    only thing I am missing is a beware of dog sign

    dogs were clearly visible anyway so don't think instructions are relevant in this case


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez


    This post has been deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout


    No it wasn't on my property, he was over the other side of the gate and leaned over to show his notepad or get a signature, he just didn't expect the dog would pounce for him

    The dogs bark at people passing by they don't go too close to fence because they are afraid of the electric fence, it's a back country road and the fence is away from any passers by at least 6-8 feet if they are on my side of the road.
    So on a normal day there about 20 feet from the dog to the person walking by

    Postman has a door bell to ring when he needs a signature and people know not to stroll in unless the dogs know them

    And how was the delivery man supposed to know that? He didn't provoke your dogs, he stayed outside and looked for a signature. He put his hand over the fence for the signature, and was bitten without provocation. How can that be his fault?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly


    the dogs are there to keep people out, that's their job to warn me and go for anyone trespassing

    anyone that has a need to come onto the property, gets introduced to the dog properly by me and the dogs are fine but still cautious of the stranger

    So you shouldn't order something that requires delivery then or if you do you need to inform the delivery person that they are not to go near your property.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin


    the dogs are there to keep people out, that's their job to warn me and go for anyone trespassing

    anyone that has a need to come onto the property, gets introduced to the dog properly by me and the dogs are fine but still cautious of the stranger

    They can do that without biting someone. You can't leave dogs in a garden if there is a chance they might attack. You are lucky it was just a finger tbh.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5


    OP Do you have signs at the front of the property saying beware of dogs?
    Do not enter while dogs loose?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout


    the dogs are there to keep people out, that's their job to warn me and go for anyone trespassing

    anyone that has a need to come onto the property, gets introduced to the dog properly by me and the dogs are fine but still cautious of the stranger

    So your dogs job is to attack people. The vast majority of people that call to houses aren't trespassers looking to break in. This guy was just doing his job. Sounds like your dogs are primed to attack people. This is all on you. If a delivery man is just trying to deliver a parcel to you and you don't have instructions to stay outside the gate, no beware of the dog sign, a hidden bell, and your dogs reason for being outside is to 'go for anyone trespassing' you are the one at fault.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b


    eviltwin wrote: »
    I think by staying outside the property he was being careful. He is not to blame here. It's your duty to ensure your dogs are under control at all times, that includes while they are on your property.

    No he didn't, he crossed the boundry with his hands, that is on the persons property

    "Brave delivery man first tried to open the gate and stroll in well aware of the two dogs barking at him, bullmastif and cocker. My friend waved from inside the house and told him to wait

    He was leaning over the gate with his two hands and notepad, as my friend walked up to him the two dogs were at his hip going mad at the delivery man, the postman stuck his hands further over the fence to show his notepad and the bulmastiff snatched his finger."

    Whether it be an inch or a mile he proceeded to place his hands in an unknown property with dogs there. 100% the delivery guys fault, he should have rang the number on the package.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin


    billie1b wrote: »
    No he didn't, he crossed the boundry with his hands, that is on the persons property

    "Brave delivery man first tried to open the gate and stroll in well aware of the two dogs barking at him, bullmastif and cocker. My friend waved from inside the house and told him to wait

    He was leaning over the gate with his two hands and notepad, as my friend walked up to him the two dogs were at his hip going mad at the delivery man, the postman stuck his hands further over the fence to show his notepad and the bulmastiff snatched his finger."

    Whether it be an inch or a mile he proceeded to place his hands in an unknown property with dogs there. 100% the delivery guys fault, he should have rang the number on the package.

    Good luck getting that to hold up in court. Putting your hand over a gate to hand a delivery to someone is not on their property.

    This is not the guys fault at all. The owner is solely responsible for keeping the dogs under control.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich


    Zulu wrote:
    Well apparently not, unless you wanted them to bite him.


    Why does your dog bite people to begin with? Mine would only bite if they thought I was in danger.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123


    I hope the driver does a quick Google and sees your attitude OP - it's not coming across very well in this thread! :rolleyes:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez


    This post has been deleted.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100


    bell is hidden for a reason, anyone can come around ringing to see if the house is empty, postmen or delivery men know where it is


    You said 'NEW' delivery man so sorry unless you left instructions with the company he delivers for I don't see how you can avoid responsibility.


  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1


    pilly wrote: »
    You're totally to blame here OP. This man was trying to carry out his job and the dog bit him. No ifs ands and buts about it.

    You say people know not to go near the dog like people are psychic. A lot of people would presume a dog not on a lease is not vicious.

    A dog is not under control if it bites someone.

    Totally agree if you are if this was out in a public place
    It wasn't
    Dogs are there to protect the private property, trespassing is illegal

    On average 2 post men get bitten a week or a day in Ireland, so I'm sure its in their training not to approach dogs and to be on the cautious side

    I walk past houses with massive dogs barking, I stay the F*** away and would throw stones at someones house for attention before trying to stroll in on to the property on the assumption that the dog is friendly.......while its barking at me....


  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1


    nhunter100 wrote: »
    You said 'NEW' delivery man so sorry unless you left instructions with the company he delivers for I don't see how you can avoid responsibility.

    very easily, UN-delivered, dogs out on property, didn't go in - rescheduled for another day

    Or try ringing....

    He was not on my property just to make that clear again, and the dogs were out in plain view, barking(not being friendly)


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100


    billie1b wrote:
    Whether it be an inch or a mile he proceeded to place his hands in an unknown property with dogs there. 100% the delivery guys fault, he should have rang the number on the package.


    So there was a number on the package? OP never said this he also said he did not think it was necessary to leave instructions about a bell. As for claiming the delivery man is 100% at fault you're a 100% wrong.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement