Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bit delivery mans finger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

dev100 wrote: »
    There's no point in crying over spilt milk at this stage . Not advisable to antagonise the post man either . It's all about damage control now. If the dog drew blood it's a tetanus shot .
    You should have a beware of dog sign on all your entrances into property. Hopefully the post man will decide not to claim off you. So it'll pay to be nice to him . I'd be looking at keeping dogs away from the front or controlling how people enter your property and keeping the dogs well away from that area. As another poster said if it were kids or what not then it's a different story

The problem with the signs is that we have a certain ethnic minority in this country who will go to court and swear blind that they cant read ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

dev100 wrote: »
    There's no point in crying over spilt milk at this stage . Not advisable to antagonise the post man either . It's all about damage control now. If the dog drew blood it's a tetanus shot .
    You should have a beware of dog sign on all your entrances into property. Hopefully the post man will decide not to claim off you. So it'll pay to be nice to him . I'd be looking at keeping dogs away from the front or controlling how people enter your property and keeping the dogs well away from that area. As another poster said if it were kids or what not then it's a different story

I completely agree here, not having signs up is my fault
    Delivery men shouldn't be bitter for trying to do their job
    It was an accident that could have been avoided from both sides, me having a sign on the gate and driver being more cautious of the big dog
    I've no problem paying for the guys tentnis shot ( I got bit myself before its not nice ) and settling things without courts is preferred

All I wanted to know is where I stood legally, if he was to go down the legal route

I still disagree that you should be responsible for people on your property especially if they are not meant to be there in the first place whether it's a dangerous dog or or having 8foot pot holes around your garden for the crack, too easy to sue and claim everything of everyone, but I'm sure there is another thread for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

All I wanted to know is where I stood legally, if he was to go down the legal route

He wasn't tresspassing, he wasn't on your property at all. His hand was over your gate for your mate ( who didn't have your dogs under control) to sign for delivery when your dog attacked him. The fact you claimed your dogs are there to attack intruders, leads me to believe if you find yourself in court it's going to be expensive for you especially if your home insurance company finds out your dogs are there to attack strangers. Good luck I think you'll need it.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Bad bad memories here. Years ago I had a bad neighnour; old man who refused to accept that an old right of way was defunct.

My dogs were outside but behind a fence, a locked gate and a long driveway.

He suddenly climbed in and started yelling, then walloped my old collie with his stick; I will hear her yelp to my dying day. Clearly from what followed, he was trying to provoke her to bite.She with broken teeth by the way and he wearing thick wellies.

In fact she simply ran to me and I took the dogs in and called the Gardai.

Heard later that he was telling the folk roundabout that my dog had bitten him and he had had to go to the dr for an anti tetanus. I even had a nasty letter from his solicitor about my dogs being vicious "when she sets them on people."

Te next time he caused trouble and I had to get the gardai, I made totally and utterly sure that they saw and knew that my dogs were pure pets.. let collie climb on my lap etc...the gardai knew the old man well enough by then that they had taken no action.

I knew that I could have lost both of them.

Just takes one wrong word. That is all. and it made me even more careful with them

F***....... sorry to hear about your dog, it's ridiculous that you would have been at fault if the dog bit the old man after being provoked.

If some one is on you property or in your house with bad intentions, what happens next should not put the owner at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

So if your dogs are this vicious to someone at the gate , what happens when there is a power failure considering you reckon that they are under control with a electrical type fence control

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I completely agree here, not having signs up is my fault
    Delivery men shouldn't be bitter for trying to do their job
    It was an accident that could have been avoided from both sides, me having a sign on the gate and driver being more cautious of the big dog
    I've no problem paying for the guys tentnis shot ( I got bit myself before its not nice ) and settling things without courts is preferred

I still disagree that you should be responsible for people on your property especially if they are not meant to be there in the first place whether it's a dangerous dog or or having 8foot pot holes around your garden for the crack, too easy to sue and claim everything of everyone, but I'm sure there is another thread for that

A delivery person delivering items you ordered has no choice but to approach your property.

When you choose to hide doorbells and have attack dogs bite people who pose no threat you're looking to be sued TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Mrs cockett

I take it the dog does'nt bite everybody he comes in contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

F***....... sorry to hear about your dog, it's ridiculous that you would have been at fault if the dog bit the old man after being provoked.

If some one is on you property or in your house with bad intentions, what happens next should not put the owner at fault

Thankfully the gardai knew the old man by then else might have ended very differently. Still makes me sweat and the collie is long dead of old age now. Bless her she was a very abused girl when I took her in .

But it is not court that is the threat OP but the dog warden.Please take care.?

So if your dogs are this vicious to someone at the gate , what happens when there is a power failure considering you reckon that they are under control with a electrical type fence control

electric fence is to keep them from digging a way out and getting knocked down, there is a 4-5 foot fence around the garden to keep them away from people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Ah well then they'd have to identify the delivery man using DNA because the dogs would have eaten most of him of course.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thankfully the gardai knew the old man by then else might have ended very differently. Still makes me sweat and the collie is long dead of old age now. Bless her she was a very abused girl when I took her in .

But it is not court that is the threat OP but the dog warden.Please take care.?

if warden comes around "the dog ran away" ill get her back in a few weeks

sure this only happened this morning haven't even been home or spoke to the delivery driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

And how was the delivery man supposed to know that? He didn't provoke your dogs, he stayed outside and looked for a signature. He put his hand over the fence for the signature, and was bitten without provocation. How can that be his fault?

With all due respect that's bollox. His hand entered the property. How else would it be bitten. Sue him for trespassing!

....... wrote: »

Never consider people to be thick, or assume, think a few posters like to throw that word around. Not good to assume in most situations

This will all depend on how this turns out and how determined the warden is

I can keep the dog away as long as it takes, but I'm not planning on going down that route, get this settled with delivery man and warden doesn't have to get involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

newwan wrote:
    With all due respect that's bollox. His hand entered the property. How else would it be bitten. Sue him for trespassing!

You clearly have no idea what tresspassing means. Saying 'bollox' doesn't make you right.

I take it the dog does'nt bite everybody he comes in contact with.

Not at all, his protective and will go nuts until I get there and allow someone in and introduce them, then she will relax

It's a country road ya might have 5 people walk past on a busy day, it's not like a dog in a busy estate terrorizing the public, it sees strangers it barks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

I love these threads where an OP asks what people think and then refuse to hear other people's valid opinions when it differs from theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

it sees strangers it barks bites

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

op is completely at fault here,

i say this as a postie of 20 years who has had plenty of run ins with dogs. if you want stuff delivered to your house you cannot have a guard dog patrolling it,even if the postman is aware of it,he may change route,be off sick etc, you have no visible signs up warning a new delivery person that you have a very aggressive dog behind your gate. nobody should have access to inside that gate or be able to simply lean over it having such a animal behind it.

your at fault op,stop being so thick headed about it is my advice,or it wont end well for the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

newwan wrote: »

He was delivering a parcel to the house, he had a right to be on the property. How can he be trespassing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

SteM wrote: »
    He was delivering a parcel to the house, he had a right to be on the property. How can he be trespassing?

Especially as the OP purposely has the bell hidden so no one can see it, the mind boggles, don't order packages to your house in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭emo72

The delivery guy backed out when he realised what was going on. Then the friend came out to receive the package. Then he handed it over the fence to get it delivered/signed for? That's when his hand got bit?I don't see much more that the courier could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

"Well lad, have a package here for you and it needs a signature"
    "Yeah, no problem - I can sign for it, show me the notepad"

Invitation to extend his hand right there.

Your dogs were NOT under control by any stretch of the imagination. If your dog is inclined to bite, you should move your electric fence back about a foot from the barrier fence so that they never get close enough to it. It can act as a reserve barrier if the electric fence fails. Your friend should have been warned by you to keep the dogs under control and WELL away from the man who was paid to bring you a package.

You are 100% at fault for not controlling your dog. If the dog had bitten the man trying to open your gate and there was no-one around, I'd say he should have exhibited more cop-on. But since someone was there to control the dogs, sorry pal - your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Op from reading the thread and having some cop on its fairly obvious your to blame here. Your dogs should not react violently unless there is a danger, this man was not on your property, he was standing at your gate, therefore IMHO your dogs should not have attacked. My jack russell barks like a lunatic at everyone, she barks at me when she's nervous and wants to be picked up, she barks at my boyfriend when he has ham and she wants some, she barks at my neighbour all the time. Shes a yappy dog. She never once has bitten anybody other then some very little nips as a small pup and she soon learned not to do it.

My point is, I wouldn't assume that every barking dog is going to be violent automatically, and obviously this man didn't either. People should be able to enter your property safely, especially to complete work. Your friend should not have engaged with the delivery man if the dogs are so unhinged. He should have waiting for you if you have control of the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

scamalert wrote:
    point being sometimes its easy to overestimate dogs,some can be go happy,but protect home when not needed.luckily in my case ended up with pissed off postman,guess bite is more serious,but would try to rectify with cash and explanation.

OP your attitude is disgraceful. To think that all you are worried about is not getting sued and are willing to hide a vicious dog from the dog warden. People like you shouldn't keep dogs.

If it were me who was in the postman's position I would be happy to accept an apology and reimbursement of medical costs, but after seeing your attitude here I hope the postie goes all the way with legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭robinwing

Ig you had a toy poodle instead of a bullmastiff you ( and Fido ) would not be in this predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭robinwing

Providing enough socialization. Most Bullmastiffs have protective instincts toward strangers. They need extensive exposure to friendly people so they learn to recognize the normal behaviors of "good guys." Then they can recognize the difference when someone acts abnormally. Without careful socialization, they may be suspicious of everyone, which could lead to biting. Some Bullmastiffs go in the opposite direction -- without enough socialization, they become fearful of strangers, which can lead to defensive biting.

If you have children, I do not recommend a Bullmastiff. Young Bullmastiffs (up to about three years old) can be bulls in a china shop. When they romp and jump, they do so with great vigor, and things can go flying, including people. In addition, Bullmastiffs may try to protect their own children from other children, which could lead to tragedy if kids are simply roughhousing and your Bullmastiff decides to stop it.

Animal aggression. Many Bullmastiffs will not tolerate another dog of the same sex, and some won't tolerate the opposite sex either. Some Bullmastiffs have strong instincts to chase and seize cats and other fleeing creatures. If anything goes wrong in the breeding, socializing, training, handling, or management of this breed, it is capable of seriously injuring or killing other animals.

The strong temperament. Bullmastiffs are not Golden Retrievers. They have an independent mind of their own and are not pushovers to raise and train. Many Bullmastiffs are willful, obstinate, and dominant (they want to be the boss) and will make you prove that you can make them do things. You must show them, through absolute consistency, that you mean what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You`ve said you have them under control but electric fencing doesn't suggest to me that the dogs are easily controlled.
    If you have children, nieces/nephews or just friends with children who are likely to visit you need to consider what would happen if one of them wandered into the enclosure with these 2 dogs.

At a minimum you need to redesign the enclosure so people can walk up to your door step without having to enter it.
    If you need security I`d suggest a home alarm system.
    The days of using dogs as security guards are over. It leaves you wide open to being taken to the cleaners.

To sum up, you`re liable. Pay the mans medical bills and cross your fingers he doesn't take it any further.

• Advertisement

On a personal level I've nothing against the postman, yeah he reached in to get a signature, dog wasn't under control at the time by me, he got bit, it was an accident, could have been avoided by me being more responsible with signs and him bit more cautious of the dog and situation

I'm asking if this goes to court where do I legally stand and is it a valid claim that can be made against me?

OR

like the other posters have said - is there a legal boundary by law the decides on which side of the fence you get bitten, that the responsibility falls on the postman?

And absolutely I am worried about getting sued, cause it's a joke how much compensation you can get for a soar finger.
    I wouldn't even started this thread if it was over 500euro after all medical and court expenses
    Not a hope am I willing to pay 10-15k oven an indecent like this, and getting the dog put down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement