Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bit delivery mans finger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Delivery driver looking for a handy few pound here. I hope he doesn't get a penny. He's the reason we're all paying way over the top for insurance. The government and the system is the reason the OP just to feel safer in a country where gangs are running riot in rural Ireland had to get two dogs to protect him, his family and his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Delivery driver looking for a handy few pound here. I hope he doesn't get a penny. He's the reason we're all paying way over the top for insurance. The government and the system is the reason the OP just to feel safer in a country where gangs are running riot in rural Ireland had to get two dogs to protect him, his family and his property.

Delivery man hasn't asked for a cent so far.

OP I'd advise getting a bit of legal advice so if there is any fall out you don't say or do anything to make your situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

And absolutely I am worried about getting sued, cause it's a joke how much compensation you can get for a soar finger.
    I wouldn't even started this thread if it was over 500euro after all medical and court expenses
    Not a hope am I willing to pay 10-15k oven an indecent like this, and getting the dog put down

was a case in papers recently where a postie got 100k after being badly bitten by a german shepard, not saying thats what will happen here , but take my advice,as a postie, do not be a dick about it towards him, ring the office,try talk to him,be apologetic, it will go a long way towards the eventual outcome being favorable towards you and the dog.

you will get a letter from an post shortly after he reports it,usually the day after. pay his bills at a minimum,and any loss of earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

was a case in papers recently where a postie got 100k after being badly bitten by a german shepard, not saying thats what will happen here , but take my advice,as a postie, do not be a dick about it towards him, ring the office,try talk to him,be apologetic, it will go a long way towards the eventual outcome being favorable towards you and the dog.

you will get a letter from an post shortly after he reports it,usually the day after. pay his bills at a minimum,and any loss of earnings.

A postman who got his little finger bit (hardly even see it) by my Jack Russel when he stuck his hand in my letter box tried to sue me and get my dog put down.

Judge had the sense to see through the postman and struck out the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

my dog just bit delivery man, he said he has to report it.

Whats next or what to expect?

Garden is fenced off properly, has an electric fence as well to keep dogs away from the fence and a large farm gate about chest high.

Brave delivery man first tried to open the gate and stroll in well aware of the two dogs barking at him, bullmastif and cocker. My friend waved from inside the house and told him to wait

He was leaning over the gate with his two hands and notepad, as my friend walked up to him the two dogs were at his hip going mad at the delivery man, the postman stuck his hands further over the fence to show his notepad and the bulmastiff snatched his finger.

Not trying to fluff up story - have it on CCTV - might post the link

I recon it's your mans fault for not being cautious and swinging his arms around over the gate, house is properly fenced and has a postbox outside for a reason. ---- only thing I'm missing is a beware of dog sign....... on my to do list....

Don't think he has a right for a claim, what you think?

Contrary to what most people are saying he is at fault. If his hands were over the fence it is his problem. The dogs are on private property and he chose to enter the property.

A postman who got his little finger bit (hardly even see it) by my Jack Russel when he stuck his hand in my letter box tried to sue me and get my dog put down.

Judge had the sense to see through the postman and struck out the case.

hardly comparable but thanks, a serious bite draws blood and causes damage

Palmach wrote: »
    Contrary to what most people are saying he is at fault. If his hands were over the fence it is his problem. The dogs are on private property and he chose to enter the property.

if you order/recieve something for delivery your inviting someone to your door or postbox,whichever applies. packet/letter

hardly comparable but thanks, a serious bite draws blood and causes damage

Did you see the delivery drivers finger? Mustn't have been too bad if he was able to drive off again.

If I was that driver, I'd shut my mouth and carry on about my business. Put it down to it being all part and parcel of the job. Sh!t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

the dogs are there to keep people out, that's their job to warn me and go for anyone trespassing

bell is hidden for a reason, anyone can come around ringing to see if the house is empty, postmen or delivery men know where it is

Totally agree if you are if this was out in a public place It wasn't Dogs are there to protect the private property, trespassing is illegal

It definitely looks like there is a deliberate intention to have the dogs attack anyone who comes into contract with the property, and to make it deliberate by trying to hide a mechanism where that might prevent it.

• Advertisement

I am curious on whether a claim can be made here on not, and to be honest i font mind giving the guy a hundred quid to cover AandE visit and the tetnis shot.

Oh yeah there is no way I would disclose the intentions of biting people on any legal grounds. only saying it here

Don't. That could be construed as an admission of liability.

It definitely looks like there is a deliberate intention to have the dogs attack anyone who comes into contract with the property, and to make it deliberate by trying to hide a mechanism where that might prevent it.

OP was afraid of the Limerick and Dublin gangs going around terrorizing the people of rural Ireland.

The delivery driver got a slight nip on his finger, nothing serious, it'll heal in no time.

If the judge has an ounce of cop on at all he'll throw this case out and leave the OP and his dogs in peace.

Your & my insurance won't be going up anymore as a result.

if you order/recieve something for delivery your inviting someone to your door or postbox,whichever applies. packet/letter

He saw the dogs and saw they were not friendly. Could have and should have rung the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

The delivery driver got a slight nip on his finger, nothing serious, it'll heal in no time.

Did you see the bite ??
    Maybe he has tendon damage, or nerve damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Palmach wrote: »

That's irrelevant, dogs should be under control at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

OP was afraid of the Limerick and Dublin gangs going around terrorizing the people of rural Ireland.

If the judge has an ounce of cop on at all he'll throw this case out and leave the OP and his dogs in peace.

Have you read any of this thread. The OP said "finger was bleeding kinda heavy". Not a slight nip! What Judge are you talking about? There is no case yet! Also, most of these cases will be settled before court between the insurance company and the person suing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Palmach wrote:

How do you suggest a delivery person makes a delivery to private property? Btw try reading the thread he didn't enter the property also have a read up on what constitutes trespass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What judge are you on about? You'd swear the postman was already on the court room steps.

The OP claimed the delivery drivers fingers were bleeding quite heavily, so assuming you weren't there and are not the OP how did you arrive at 'slight nip on his finger'?

Palmach wrote:
    He saw the dogs and saw they were not friendly. Could have and should have rung the number.

So his mate came out to the driver, Driver holds out pad for signature dog bites driver. What number should the driver have rang?

• Advertisement

nhunter100 wrote: »
    The OP claimed the delivery drivers fingers were bleeding quite heavily, so assuming you weren't there and are not the OP how did you arrive at 'slight nip on his finger'?

He packed up his van, closed doors, fired on his seat belt and drove off.

My money is on it being a slight nip.

Mountain out of a molehill here. Another claim for a handy few quid and all of our Insurance about to go up even more.

Hopfuly the Judge at hand see's through this stunt by the driver and makes an example of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Well, me thinks it's simple: The delivery man leaned INTO the fenced of area, as such, technically, he was trespassing.
    However, Dogs have to be under control at all times - in or outside your property. That didn't happen. I'd say blame here is 50% delivery man and 50% owner. It's most certainly not the fault of the dog - he only acted what was right in his mind.So i do hope this will not have the end that very often meets these animals due to failure of humans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Mountain out of a molehill here. Another claim for a handy few quid and all of our Insurance about to go up even more.

Hopfuly the Judge at hand see's through this stunt by the driver and makes an example of him.

Jaysus, you must have been there Tommy where you?

Well the OP claims otherwise. Just aswell the delivery guys was able to drive off, because I'm sure there would be a few whinging if an ambulance was called for a 'slight nip on the fingers'.
    Btw ever driven a car/van with an injured hand, not easy but not impossible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

What are you talking about? What stunt is this driver trying to pull?

Judges don't make examples, OP dogs were not under control driver got attacked whilst doing his job. OP is in the wrong. Whether you disagree or not is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well, me thinks it's simple: The delivery man leaned INTO the fenced of area, as such, technically, he was trespassing.
    However, Dogs have to be under control at all times - in or outside your property. That didn't happen. I'd say blame here is 50% delivery man and 50% owner. It's most certainly not the fault of the dog - he only acted what was right in his mind.So i do hope this will not have the end that very often meets these animals due to failure of humans.

He was not trespassing. It appears a lot of people on this thread have no idea what trespass is.

13.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass on any building or the curtilage thereof in such a manner as causes or is likely to cause fear in another person.

Trespass occurs when you have no valid excuse to be on a property. According to the OP the driver put his hand over a gate for a signature on a pad/form he was attacked by the OP's dog. Liability particularly if as claimed by the OP his dogs are trained to attack lies with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

He wasn't trespassing though. He would have asked for a signature and the person who went to sign it would have agreed. That's an invitation to hand someone something to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

A delivery man leaning over a fence does not constitute trespass as he had "reasonable excuse" to be there. Even if he was trespassing,

In respect of a danger existing on premises, an occupier owes towards a recreational user of the premises or a trespasser thereon (“the person”) a duty—
    (a) not to injure the person or damage the property of the person intentionally, and
    (b) not to act with reckless disregard for the person or the property of the person,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement