Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread from 14th March 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Nice to end the thread on a golden Liveline episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Last post on de thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭boardise

Aine =an unhinged dominatrix (nap).
    Wouldn't you pity the poor daughter ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hadn't seen any of the D'Arcy sketches before:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

stock-photo-closeup-shot-of-a-big-metallic-chains-with-big-lock-that-locks-gates-495632563.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ah i'll have to listen back on the podcast to Mother Aine and her plight, Liveline Gold, freshly made!!!!

It was wonderful marvelous caller in the microsecond that aine was not barking like a demented beagle dog seamus got the knock out blow "do you want a blue Peter badge?" This set her off loike a triggered liberal snowflake that she is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Classic stuff today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Days like today is the reason I listen to the snoozfest that is usually on. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Days like today is the reason I listen to the snoozfest that is usually on. :)

Tbf you get lunatics like that on Niall Boylan at night all the time, don't usually have them during the day granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

pilly wrote: »
    Tbf you get lunatics like that on Niall Boylan at night all the time, don't usually have them during the day granted.

I'll have to check that out. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

heard the girl from during the week, that rang Covney about the homeless woman outside her premises. I thought she was great.

heard the girl from during the week, that rang Covney about the homeless woman outside her premises. I thought she was great.

So thought so too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yesterdays show won't download on podcast addict, must have been dodgy was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She came across as a bit arrogant and bullying today.
    She constantly tried to put others down and insist on her opinion being always right.
    I couldn't take to her even if I sympathise with her on homelessness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Who's controlling Joe's twitter account?
    https://twitter.com/talktojoe1850/status/865567732435214336

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Who's controlling Joe's twitter account?
    https://twitter.com/talktojoe1850/status/865567732435214336

It's RTE's, but he uses it as if it were his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just thinking about Loud Aine Dude's rants today.

She made a big deal of how she sent a group text to her buddies saying "I've made a difference for one person - now you need to help the next homeless person out there"

But all she did was move the Woman she met up the queue, and stopped someone else getting a bed. Not a single extra bed created from her antics, and still she thinks she has the moral authority to shout down someone from the Peter McVerry Trust - whom I would suspect knows a hell of a lot more about the subject than she has learned since her sudden interest in the issue two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mzungu wrote: »
    Classic stuff today.

Two Mother Theresa's in the one day. Great stuff. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The woman on liveline has put me off any sympathy for the homeless situation in this or any country. God help our charities if this is the example of activists in that sector. The bloke was a little better but inclined to use language like "those people" which seeks to put a distance between average people and the homeless. The awful truth being that all of us are one paycheck away from being homeless or a bad health episode, or a breakdown in a relationship etc.

This can happen to anybody.

The situation now is that society can no longer blame dysfunction for homelessness and an increasing number of otherwise "normal" people are becoming homeless. There are probably as many reasons for it as there are homeless people and a holistic approach needs to be taken in trying to solve it.

Any country which has next to no public housing built in the last 20 or 30 years, no private housing built in the last 10 years, since the crash of 2007, and little or no wage rises to offset huge rises in the price of houses is going to have a housing crisis. Add that to drug and alcohol addiction, family violence and separation, sudden and irreplaceable loss of a job etc. then you are going to have homelessness.

Also to be included in the septic cocktail of disaster is the treatment of landlords in this country who are vilified and abused by those in authority for populist and short term political score pointing and electoral gain so that the countrys rented sector ends up being owned by huge impersonal corporations who can afford legal expertise to control and extract the maximum rents from their tenants.

A lot of small scale landlords have left the rental sector and there is now a huge scarcity of accommodation especially in Dublin. AirBNB also has soaked up a lot of units The real problem lies with taxation where a lot of impoverished tenants are paying so that landlords can afford to pay 52% taxes plus USC and higher insurance and LPT on their houses. The government should not have moved to increase taxes on landlords until a large stock of local authority housing was available to counter the inevitable flight from the sector and the inevitable rises in rents resulting from high taxes and reduced allowances meted out to landlords.

doolox wrote: »
    The woman on liveline has put me off any sympathy for the homeless situation in this or any country. God help our charities if this is the example of activists in that sector. The bloke was a little better but inclined to use language like "those people" which seeks to put a distance between average people and the homeless. The awful truth being that all of us are one paycheck away from being homeless or a bad health episode, or a breakdown in a relationship etc.

This can happen to anybody.

The situation now is that society can no longer blame dysfunction for homelessness and an increasing number of otherwise "normal" people are becoming homeless. There are probably as many reasons for it as there are homeless people and a holistic approach needs to be taken in trying to solve it.

Any country which has next to no public housing built in the last 20 or 30 years, no private housing built in the last 10 years, since the crash of 2007, and little or no wage rises to offset huge rises in the price of houses is going to have a housing crisis. Add that to drug and alcohol addiction, family violence and separation, sudden and irreplaceable loss of a job etc. then you are going to have homelessness.

Also to be included in the septic cocktail of disaster is the treatment of landlords in this country who are vilified and abused by those in authority for populist and short term political score pointing and electoral gain so that the countrys rented sector ends up being owned by huge impersonal corporations who can afford legal expertise to control and extract the maximum rents from their tenants.

A lot of small scale landlords have left the rental sector and there is now a huge scarcity of accommodation especially in Dublin. AirBNB also has soaked up a lot of units The real problem lies with taxation where a lot of impoverished tenants are paying so that landlords can afford to pay 52% taxes plus USC and higher insurance and LPT on their houses. The government should not have moved to increase taxes on landlords until a large stock of local authority housing was available to counter the inevitable flight from the sector and the inevitable rises in rents resulting from high taxes and reduced allowances meted out to landlords.

Ah, you do realise this is De Lahv Lahn Thread, right? Don't be calling in to this show with your logical well constructed arguments.
    ;)

Joking aside, you raise some very good points. :) The problem however is now so big the kind of radical thinking and policy shifts required would never pass through the Doyle (that's "Dáil" to RTE newsreader whose names aren't Sharon or Brian).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Aine dude is just a classic example of these postmodern, loudmouth, social justice warrior loons. And yes, homelessness is a terrible thing and it is upsetting for everyone, most of all for those going through it and others who have to witness it, But Aine dude just basically wants to use the situation as some sort of soap box crusade to just basically go off on one about it "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, IMA DOING IT, LISTEN TO ME, I SHOULD HAVE THE POWER, EVERYONE DO WHAT I SAY, DO WHAT IMA DO,"

No dialogue with anyone else, shouted that other guy down until he nearly lost the rag himself, that's what these people do.
    Its not a sign of a clear intellect, they just want drama, noise, hastle and fights. And these types think they have the right to show everyone else how to run the world?? lol

People like that have literally no business trying to help or change anybody else's situation as they can't even help themselves. There's an old saying "Don't mind the bit of dust in your neighbours eye when there is a rock in your own" The likes of Aine would do well to heed that sort of advice

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

doolox wrote: »
    The woman on liveline has put me off any sympathy for the homeless situation in this or any country. God help our charities if this is the example of activists in that sector. The bloke was a little better but inclined to use language like "those people" which seeks to put a distance between average people and the homeless.

Recently I heard someone on the radio complaining about other people referring to other people as "those people". And as I expected would happen he duly proceeded to use the very same phrase without even realising that he had done so.

To me it is just a normal part of speech and I don't see how it could be interpreted as seeking to put a distance between average people and the homeless. Whatever "average people" means?

Recently I heard someone on the radio complaining about other people referring to other people as "those people". And as I expected would happen he duly proceeded to use the very same phrase without even realising that he had done so.

To me it is just a normal part of speech and I don't see how it could be interpreted as seeking to put a distance between average people and the homeless. Whatever "average people" means?

Well if Duffy was on he'd BARK down the throat of anyone who said it with

"YOU CAN'T SAY THAT! YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!"

Then within 5 minutes make some stupid comment, joke or go into a giggle fit that was immeasurably more offensive than the original comment - like the true pro he is....so to speak...

when is Joe back lads? I saw on Atlantic Dawn's rollsheet he's really accumulating the annual leave and were not even halfway through the summer let alone the year.

when is Joe back lads? I saw on Atlantic Dawn's rollsheet he's really accumulating the annual leave and were not even halfway through the summer let alone the year.

It's mine technically....as de creator so to speak, Atlantic is in charge of maintaining it so to speak as my attendance can't be guaranteed. My inspiration for it was based on last year's attendance record by the host. Just like the Bingo Buzzword Sheet however credit for its creation has gone elsewhere. Sigh*.

This latest breakeen has been described as "a couple of weeks". Now a couple means 2 to most people; but this is RTE, so who knows?

*I'm being "shmart" here. What matters is we get the figure this year so we can figure out exactly how much he's taking in fees per show. Unfortunately it'll take 3 years to do that as that's when RTE will release the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Really?

You were attempting to making a point suggesting the thread's popularity and the short period of time required to hit 10,000 posts, thus implying a certain quality of output of the show.

The thread's popularity has nothing to do with the quality of the show. The thread is popular due to the LACK OF QUALITY of the show AND the stupidity, ignorance, and temper of the host - all seen vividly over the last 2 months.

Thanks for explaining the point. I think it is a poor use of anyone's time to listen to low quality radio programmes presented by stupid ignorant short tempered hosts, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He will be back for a Funny Friday special so to speak on June 2nd for de Bloomsday and dat, whether that's his first day back or whether he will be back on Monday 29th May is anyones guess, he is off for "a few weeks" after all :pac:
    On RT? Radio 1, Joe Duffy will front a Liveline Funny Friday special while Miriam O'Callaghan will present her show there on the Sunday.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rt-stars-ready-to-bloom-at-festival-35732361.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

If the homeless lady hadn't a lovely face would ?ine have cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

If the homeless lady hadn't a lovely face would ?ine have cared.

I suspect she'd have given much less of a shyt if the homeless lady didn't have two degrees.
    <voice cracks>
    "But she had TWO DEGREES, Philip!"
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Just after finishing listening Aine on the podcast.

I'm actually shell shocked.

I would not be surprised if she has a hyperactivity disorder or super ego or something.
    I genuinely think she has an I Q of a coffee bean aswell and was probably given her business.

That a couple of seemingly reasonable callers would agree with and not see through her is bizarre.

It's people like Aine that are everything that's wrong with the charity/instagram/faux caring industry.

Funny the way, people like Aine always have an excuse not to let a homeless person stay at their house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement