Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a bit of a barney with a neighbour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The OP has disappeared off the thread, I wonder if he has spoke to that neighbour since or if the kids are still peeking through his window.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

You seem to be getting more excited and focussed on me? Relax, deal with the thread.

Look, I have no doubt you'd swear at kids. And maybe give them a shoe along the way. But don't assume everyone is angry and defensive about their 300 square metres of land. As I said, I'd laugh it off. If kids being kids makes others angry, that's their right, neither response is "more right"...

I have never sworn at kids on my property. That said if a kid was leaning on my window sill he would have to have the ability to fly.

I'm reducing it to you because your posts are all about you, how you are more moral than the rest of us, those who "kids being kids" make angry. That post is an excellent example.

There's the illiberal mob and you the secular Saint; a man who would not only accept any number of pre teens staring in on his living room or bedroom at any time day or night, but one who would treat an irate neighbour who kicked a door to wine.

However plenty of normal people don't want kids staring in windows - most women, most old people, many singletons and many families (although of course if its your children's friends you generally won't care).

And they have a right to tell the kids to scramble. And the right to not have their door kicked when they do it. Curses or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I certainly cannot agree with that, rather depressing, view of today's young people. In my experience most are far from bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I certainly cannot agree with that, rather depressing, view of today's young people. In my experience most are far from bad.
    I wouldn't say people are worse than they ever were but there is certainly an ever decreasing sense of personal responsibility in society now. Everything is someone else's fault and children who grow up with this notion are certainlythe poorer for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

anewme wrote: »
    Sorry, but it wouldn't be taken as a civil matter.

if I give out to kids for being on my property does not change the fact that it's illegal for you to damage my property.

They are separate incidents.

You can't just damage people's property or threaten them, these are offences

Kicking someone's door is not going to damage it in any meaningful way. Will you get a grip.

I'd imagine telling minors to 'fuck off' also falls into the category of threatening behaviour. ;) If this whole incident was recounted to the guards, they'd humour you and then go on their merry way with a chuckle under their breath. Not that you'd even report it. The internet big talk is strong in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd love to hear the dog's version of events.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    If this whole incident was recounted to the guards, they'd humour you and then go on their merry way with a chuckle under their breath.

I think some of them would find it hard to suppress laughing outright.

Kids were playing and the adults have elevated the matter to swearing and kicking doors. Well done adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...When you live on an Estate, its important to respect peoples privacy and boundaries. Important lesson in growing up for the children. The Da would be better placed teaching his kids to respect adults rather than kicking someones door.

What I notice is, there seems to be a lot of repressed rage in estates, with people going disproportionately off their chumps over minor matters. Is it to do with the close proximity, or what?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have never sworn at kids on my property. That said if a kid was leaning on my window sill he would have to have the ability to fly.

I'm reducing it to you because your posts are all about you, how you are more moral than the rest of us, those who "kids being kids" make angry. That post is an excellent example.

There's the illiberal mob and you the secular Saint; a man who would not only accept any number of pre teens staring in on his living room or bedroom at any time day or night, but one who would treat an irate neighbour who kicked a door to wine.

However plenty of normal people don't want kids staring in windows - most women, most old people, many singletons and many families (although of course if its your children's friends you generally won't care).

And they have a right to tell the kids to scramble. And the right to not have their door kicked when they do it. Curses or not.

MOD
    Quit making this about another poster or I will go around to your gaff and kick yer da's door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I think some of them would find it hard to suppress laughing outright.

Kids were playing and the adults have elevated the matter to swearing and kicking doors. Well done adults.

No the kids were looking through his windows. And came back a 2nd time.
    Im no way saying they should be hauled before the guards but it is not acceptable for kids to do this, especially after being told to stop.
    OP says they were between 10 and 12, which is old enough to know its wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If they do it again . .stand in front of the window with wearing nothing only a menacing smile.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    No the kids were looking through his windows.

They are not mutually exclusive.

He said they were looking through his windows, and he later asked would others let their kids play on neighbours property which suggests that's all they were up to.

jimgoose wrote: »
    What I notice is, there seems to be a lot of repressed rage in estates, with people going disproportionately off their chumps over minor matters. Is it to do with the close proximity, or what?

I know friends in estates who would let neighbours kids wander in their front door and out the back and just shrug their shoulders. They have kids themselves and are just used to kids coming and going.

Not sure if the OP clarified if he has kids but that might be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

He said they were looking through his windows, and he later asked would others let their kids play on neighbours property which suggests that's all they were up to.

So would you let yours pick a neighbours garden to go and play in and peer in the windows of? At 12 years old? Small kids might not know any different but twelve year olds tend to understand about not randomly wandering into other peoples gardens and gawking through the windows.

Maybe OP was having a bad day and didn't feel like indulging them? I wouldn't expect others to indulge them if I was their parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Kicking someone's door is not going to damage it in any meaningful way. Will you get a grip.

I'd imagine telling minors to 'fuck off' also falls into the category of threatening behaviour. ;) If this whole incident was recounted to the guards, they'd humour you and then go on their merry way with a chuckle under their breath. Not that you'd even report it. The internet big talk is strong in this thread.

Kicking someone's door could easy damage it, not sure why you cant see that.

So would you let yours pick a neighbours garden to go and play in and peer in the windows of? At 12 years old?

I wouldn't expect to be consulted in advance, so not sure about the "letting" them.

jimgoose wrote: »

Only person out of order was yer man kicking the door instead of facing up to his parental responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Kicking someone's door could easy damage it, not sure why you cant see that.

It's possible but unlikely, considering the homeowner would be partially blocking the door. It's not going at it with a sledgehammer, it's kicking it whilst navigating a person standing in front of it. In all likelihood, that means it was not a strong kick. The melodrama of it all!

Neither adult in this story is covering themselves in glory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The amount of people on here getting enraged on the OP's behalf. OP's probably off getting pissed with the neighbour. Relax lads, it's nearly paddy's day.

pilly wrote: »
    The amount of people on here getting enraged on the OP's behalf. OP's probably off getting pissed with the neighbour. Relax lads, it's nearly paddy's day.

No, somehow I dont think OP going to go for the bottle of wine and an apology suggestion. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'm impressed at how the OP managed to turn kids looking into his living room window into a shouting match with potential for violence.

Then again, I once turned a Boards thread into a real life threat.

(It wasn't me doing the threatening)

OP, next time politely ask the kids to desist from their unwanted behaviour. It's amazing what the benefits of being polite are. It might even save you from being stabbed by an enraged father.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

If all they were doing was "playing" why couldnt they do that in their own garden?

SAMTALK wrote: »
    If all they were doing was "playing" why couldnt they do that in their own garden?

Because they are kids.

Not sure why you put "playing" in inverted comes, the word was used by the OP. If you think they were doing something more nefarious, you should take it up with the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

pilly wrote: »
    Has no-one got blinds or curtains anymore, just bleeding close them! Problem solved. My house is right on a street and if I was to tell everyone who looked in the window to go FO I'd be soon locked up for being the mad woman of the village.

People need to get over themselves sometimes, kids will be kids. They were looking at the dog for gods sakes.
    I tried pulling the curtains, and they thumped the sh1t out of the window then. What's your solution to that? Turn up the telly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

pablo128 wrote: »
    I tried pulling the curtains, and they thumped the sh1t out of the window then. What's your solution to that? Turn up the telly?

Didn't realise so many people had this problem. :P If someone is thumping the **** out of the window that's an entirely different scenario altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Lots of rural one off housing attitude on display here. A real quaint picture being painted at the expense of others and their opinions. Try living in a large housing estate in an urban area. Private or council. Yes we are all technically on top of each other and it carries a lot of problems and issues with it.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Lots of rural one off housing attitude on display here. A real quaint picture being painted at the expense of others and their opinions. Try living in a large housing estate in an urban area. Private or council. Yes we are all technically on top of each other and it carries a lot of problems and issues with it.

I think that was suggested earlier, that people in estates may be angrier and edgier - presumably as a result of living in such close proximity to others. Maybe a higher sensitivity to crime which manifests itself in swearing at kids playing, kicking doors etc. Rural communities might tend to be more cohesive and settled, if my neighbours kids were playing in my garden I'd probably text the parents to make sure they knew where they were in case they had gone missing, but it would be no real bother to me.

I think that was suggested earlier, that people in estates may be angrier and edgier - presumably as a result of living in such close proximity to others. Maybe a higher sensitivity to crime which manifests itself in swearing at kids playing, kicking doors etc. Rural communities might tend to be more cohesive and settled, if my neighbours kids were playing in my garden I'd probably text the parents to make sure they knew where they were in case they had gone missing, but it would be no real bother to me.

You enjoy your rural setting so. Try to be less condescending towards housing estates and while you are trying that out, how about you stop trying to discuss aspects of housing estates that you know nothing about and perhaps judge based on your profession.

condescending...
    Lots of rural one off housing attitude on display here. A real quaint picture...

Are you saying that living in housing estates mean it is acceptable for adults to swear at kids and kick doors? I know people who live in estates and manage to get by without that behaviour. Perhaps they lack your insight and don't know how things should be done?

Maybe they could learn to live more like us country bumpkins and relax a little...if anything it would help the blood pressure if they could just laugh at the sight of kids peering in a window?

• Advertisement

Are you saying that living in housing estates mean it is acceptable for adults to swear at kids and kick doors? I know people who live in estates and manage to get by without that behaviour. Perhaps they lack your insight and don't know how things should be done?

Maybe they could learn to live more like us country bumpkins and relax a little...if anything it would help the blood pressure if they could just laugh at the sight of kids peering in a window?

Seriously Conor you are not in a district court now and moving goalposts to make your point won't wash with me. Just be yourself.

That said, you haven't a clue about urban living, beyond what you may have experienced in your profession. I say this with respect as you obviously never grew up in an urban environment. Lots of people live happily in housing estates. However housing estates are very different places to rural Ireland/areas and issues such as the OPs are quite common. In fact I could quote even worse issues from experience. I think you have trivialised the circumstances in the OP. What's acceptable in a housing estate is a completely different world to your view, which you appear to accept by suggesting there is something to be learned from (as you say) country bumpkins. I related to the OP because I grew up in housing estates and I have seen many versions of the door kicking parent. It can also come down to a garden wall backing onto a green area and the owners or even renters getting peeved off at kids sitting up on said wall glaring into the garden/house. A really simple yet common issue. Tell the kids off and you may be on the receiving end of an angry parent. Whats lacking is basic manners and behaviour and respect for some semblence of privacy.

Advertisement