Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

TheDoc wrote: »
    Soooo.

Absolutely loving life with my Switch (you're free to say I told you so) but looking to make a little pickup over the weekend. Mario Kart and Odyssey have been great so far, and I want to ensure I don't go down the route I normally do, buy a load of games with no time to play them. Want to try finish things before buying. But I think I would like something new to the collection already.

Toying with getting something "indie" in the sense, not a first party title. Plenty of suggestions on this forum, youtube and the likes. Wondering if there is any universally agreed MUST have's.

Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight and Stardew Valley keep coming up. Overcooked(that what its called) gets a lot of mention too.

Leaning towards Stardew Valley. My GF is playing the switch a lot more than I expected and think she might dig this.

Give GRIS a look. Indie puzzle platormer game. The art style is absolutely stunning and the game doesn't outstay its welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

almost 2 years later and I am still playing Stardew Valley, absolutely love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I think Golf Story is essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Hollow Knight, Celeste and Steamworld Dig 2 would make my top ten Switch games, each of them is essential. My suggestion would be to start with Steamworld Dig 2, as it's not as taxing as the others in terms of time/difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

My top thee indie games would pretty much match pasta-solo. Celeste and Hollow Knight are much longer games than Steamworld Dig 2, but SD2 is still a lot of fun. If you want a fun game to get through, and not feel like you have to move on, go for SD2. Celeste is about 10 hours or so, but has a lot of replayability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'll be playing RE2 this weekend interspersed with Hollow Knight (maybe, still trying to get in to it).

Will have a browse of the shop later to see if there is something to take my fancy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Does Superbomberman R have battle vs ai mode like other titles did ?

As in just setup a 4 player battle me or another against bots ? Or me v three bots?

Can’t seem to find the option

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Bit the bullet and bought a switch with super mario bros :D charging at the moment then me and herself are gonna give it a bash :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Hollow Knight, Celeste and Steamworld Dig 2 would make my top ten Switch games, each of them is essential. My suggestion would be to start with Steamworld Dig 2, as it's not as taxing as the others in terms of time/difficulty.

SD2 is a great game , starts slow and hooks you in. Then keeps you hooked right till the end.

Still need to get into celeste and hollow knight ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Kimbot wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and bought a switch with super mario bros :D charging at the moment then me and herself are gonna give it a bash :)

It's a great Mario game. Wish they'd done a new one for the switch. Might still buy it for the Luigi levels or just get them on Wii u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Prices on the South African store have all been raised :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Teddy Picker

Just arrived home with my new switch which I had reserved for pick up in store. There’s a hole in the screen, upon closer inspection someone clearly put staples through the top of the box one of which hit the screen. It’ll be going back tomorrow for an exchange! No fun tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

ShaneU wrote: »
    Prices on the South African store have all been raised :(

Just first party titles though, don't think indies are impacted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So I got around to playing and OMG im addicted. Mario with its new bits and pieces is great craic in co-op. Managed to get through the weekend with no new bruises :P

I showed herself a video or two of Super Mario Oddessy and she likes the look of it so I will pick that up down the line some stage.
    My must have list so far consists of the following:

Mario Kart 8
    Super Mario Oddessy
    Diablo 3

Im not too sure what else to pick up but have downloaded a few demos to try out so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Kimbot wrote: »

Im not too sure what else to pick up but have downloaded a few demos to try out so far.

Zelda!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son has dropped my Switch, breaking a Joycon.
    I got a Whatsapp image of the damage to the affected area.
    I assured him that his death will be swift and merciful.
    Apparently, the Switch is undamaged, but his pocket money may never recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

He had a good run in fairness.

Might be worth just checking the Joycon slot too if you can. A friend dropped theirs and the Joycon attachment was very loose after. A slight tap would knock the controller out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ouch. :(

My nephew has had a Switch since September and a friend of his managed to remove one of joycons without pressing the little button. They still work but the connection is a little bit wonky when it's connected to the Switch.

I gave him my spare joycons over the weekend (to be honest, they've been in my Switch bag unused for 6 months).

It was worth it for the look on his face. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Poor CiDoNaBoY, not exactly the cheapest controller to replace. Looking on Amazon a single side on on its own is £50 :eek:

I think you can get replacement shells if that's all that's broken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It looks like the Joycon component stayed on the rail but the rest snapped away, looks like two ribbon connectors are no longer... connected.
    I'll probably just forego the nonsense and pick up another Joycon somewhere, keep this one for part, unless, by some miracle, the two ribbons can slot back into their proper places.
    We shall see.
    The damage appears like this, apologies for the size of the image

bDvXjEZ.jpg?fb

edit:
    Might be fixable

Here's a tear down of the controller, hopefully the repair will be as easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did you not get him his own Switch for Christmas or was that someone else :confused:

It must have been someone else, he used to get to use my Switch, with his own account on there.
    I'm sure he's going to miss it...
    I mean, I've been telling him since I bought it not to leave it on the arms of the sofa and so on.. "Yes Da, no Da...." and so on in response.

Anyway, I'll see about a repair or replacement.

I only got this set of Joycons two weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It must have been someone else, he used to get to use my Switch, with his own account on there.
    I'm sure he's going to miss it...
    I mean, I've been telling him since I bought it not to leave it on the arms of the sofa and so on.. "Yes Da, no Da...." and so on in response.

Anyway, I'll see about a repair or replacement.

I only got this set of Joycons two weeks ago!

I think the only fair outcome is you break something he loves. That'll learn him.

Opened it up, put it back together.
    It's working but not connecting to the Switch when slotted in the rail.
    I may have another crack at it some other time.
    I think one of the zero force connectors is borked, might need to secure it with hot glue instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmm, with your son dropping the Switch and your wife not liking Mario, I think it's just time to cut your losses and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Version 7.0.0 firmware out now. New mario icons, new languages and some stability. Bit of a waste of a major release. It's more like 6.3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »
    Version 7.0.0 firmware out now. New mario icons, new languages and some stability. Bit of a waste of a major release. It's more like 6.3.0.

Ah in fairness, we're really on 2.x of the Switch interface. The only thing of note added was the cloud saving. Their versioning system, as a developer, causes me anxiety :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mr E wrote: »

Your dead right. That is pretty laughable stuff. As a developer and release manager, I'd be hard pushed to even give that an actual release.

Are Nintendo generally meh when it comes to the evolution and upkeep of their devices past launch? I'm enjoying my Switch very much, think it's brilliant. But there are some definite annoyances and they mainly are around navigation, UI's and how to swop joycon functions easily and seamlessly.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the joycons are starting to become a pain in the hole with how much I jump from single player to the kids or GF wanting to play with me and trying to shift them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, my switch kind of went in to dust collecting mode after massive disappoinment with Xenoblade game.
    Then my brother in law sorted me out with a code for Diablo 3 (Love having relatives working in Blizzard. :D ), and it rekindled some love for my switch again.
    First of all Diablo on switch just works. I was afraid it will be hard to play, but it's perfect in handheld mode. The only issue is that eats battery!!!

I tried to have a look at Nintendo shop to find out what stuff came out and what I missed. Needless to see I was shocked and lost. The amount of trash in eshop is almost worse then Steam!
    So lads, if you can help me out here. Anything decent out on Switch since Xenoblade? I know about Smash and Pokemon game. None of them appeal to me. Anything decent in Indy space?

• Advertisement

Looking for a bag/case for the switch and all accessories, anyone got recommendations?

I like the look of this but not sure how much protection it would offer: https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7644256/Trail/searchtext>Nintendo+switch.htm

Advertisement