Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

TheDoc wrote: »
    What is wrong with me?!?!
    your a stingy git:D just go buy it you won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

iamtony wrote: »
    your a stingy git:D just go buy it you won't regret it!

haha I know, and **** me it's not like its even costing me anything, I've vouchers and everything :D

Think I might grab it tomorrow....or so I've said every day for about two months

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

STILL havn't picked up my switch. Damn the temptation and urge has been going on so long.

Nearly planned to walk into curry's and pickup their Smash offer and it looks the best about at the moment for what my voucher can use (Argos, SMyths, Currys)

I've left this off so long , I've actually been humming and haughing since launch, that I'm now at the point of thinking I might just wait to see what the refresh is later this year I keep hearing about. Either better than I get that one, or OG Switches come down again in price.

Something about Nintendo pricing always puts me off. A console I know won't have third party AAA games, and from the outside looks seriously driven by indie (Which I hate on PC and a genre I completely dismiss, but feel I'll force myself to try again on Switch)

Misses even said last night as I was watching Switch videos to just get a grip and go get it, so I even have permission. What is wrong with me?!?!

The Diablo console was €299 in Smyth's last week. Hardly any availabile around you?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The Diablo console was €299 in Smyth's last week. Hardly any availabile around you?

I posted that deal in the other thread :)

They were all out of stock, when I saw that I was getting ready for the car haha.

I actually reserved a bundle from Currys there before leaving work,Neon console and smash bros separately for €350, then planned to go Smyths and get Mario

Phonecall on the way home from them, game is out of stock.

So just going to bite the bullet and go into Smyths tomorrow and get the console and Mario Ody for €369. Not much of a deal but sure look. Just take it from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Odyssey, got a switch again at Christmas (thanks work voucher)

Originally had it just for Zelda but sold it as there was bugger all else to playing at the time.

Won't be selling this ones ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Really enjoying Hollow Knight now - took a bit to get into but once you start getting a sense of the world and you start building up abilities it becomes a lot more engaging. I really like the overall artistic vision of it, how the different areas blend into one another, and how lush the visuals can be which is very much down to the use of heavy blacks, allowing a strong contrast with the colours to make them pop out and also allows them to use those glowing gradients in the hidden parts on the screen.

A cool effect is the way the sound cuts off when you get damaged as well, it weirdly feels much "louder" than if it was to play a big sound effect.

I am a bit lost as regards the story but might look that up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

from the outside looks seriously driven by indie (Which I hate on PC and a genre I completely dismiss, but feel I'll force myself to try again on Switch)

Indie isn't a genre though. You're missing out on some exceptional games by this line of thought.

Indie isn't a genre though. You're missing out on some exceptional games by this line of thought.

Yeah I know what you mean but I just consider it a grouping now.

But I think also a problem I have with them on PC is I just feel like "here I am on a €2k gaming machine playing a 2D platformer" and it being an absolute waste. But I also did try some friends recommended and thought they were fine for like the initial 5 minutes of playing but then got pretty meh.

But I'm willing to go into the Switch with an open mind, and for the times and places I know I'll use the switch I'm not going to be "snobby" about 2d platformers or other bits and pieces.

From reading the various threads I've got Stardew Valley, Celeste and Hollow Knight on my list, so that's probably the grouping I've being alienated by on PC.

Was having a little browse last night through the eshop and Amazon etc., probably already been talked or debated to death, but paying more for going digital is probably going to annoy me a fair bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yeah I know what you mean but I just consider it a grouping now.

But I think also a problem I have with them on PC is I just feel like "here I am on a €2k gaming machine playing a 2D platformer" and it being an absolute waste. But I also did try some friends recommended and thought they were fine for like the initial 5 minutes of playing but then got pretty meh.

But I'm willing to go into the Switch with an open mind, and for the times and places I know I'll use the switch I'm not going to be "snobby" about 2d platformers or other bits and pieces.

From reading the various threads I've got Stardew Valley, Celeste and Hollow Knight on my list, so that's probably the grouping I've being alienated by on PC.

Was having a little browse last night through the eshop and Amazon etc., probably already been talked or debated to death, but paying more for going digital is probably going to annoy me a fair bit :D

The vast majority of my gaming on the Switch, outside of the AAA Nintendo titles, has been on the "Nindies" - apart from three (amazing) games you've mentioned, there's Bastion, Dead Cells, Transistor, Rogue Legacy, Golf Story, Gris, Thimbleweed Park, Yoku, Shantae Half Genie Hero, Axiom Verge, and many more I've probably not played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

It seems like that a first glance but once you get used to shopping on the Eshops like South Africa, you will find its pretty cheap to get many of the games .

have a look on ESHOP Comparison LINK

Like many of us, your problem is probably going to be trying to stop compulsive Eshop purchases while you are chilling with your handheld :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I really must set up an account for other counties. Choking on paying €60 for Lets Go Pikachu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

fixxxer wrote: »
    I really must set up an account for other counties. Choking on paying €60 for Lets Go Pikachu

Just go to Smyths and get it for €45 :confused:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/pokemon-gaming/pok%C3%A9mon-let-s-go-pikachu-nintendo-switch/p/168351

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

fixxxer wrote:
    I'm going digital only on the Switch.

I thought the same... But with 250gb card full atm and a few regret purchases I get some of the bigger/popular ones physical now.

Well happy to report I went into Smyths on lunch and picked up my Switch and Mario Odys.

Cashier had the nerve to hand me back change, so I asked him to also take for Mario Kart :P

Welcome me into your loving embrace, I've SWITCHed!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

TitianGerm wrote: »

Just confirming that this bundle is still available in Tralee.

Was in today picking up the Pokemon bundle and saw it. Could only see one, whether any more were behind it, I'm not sure. Either way, I nearly bought that instead of the Pokemon bundle I originally planned. But for nostalgic reasons I had to go with Pika. :pac:

Have to say I'm loving every minute of super mario bros U deluxe. I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as previous versions since putting over 200 hours into mario maker but these levels are gold! Don't ask me why I never played it on the Wii u:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

iamtony wrote: »
    Have to say I'm loving every minute of super mario bros U deluxe. I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as previous versions since putting over 200 hours into mario maker but these levels are gold! Don't ask me why I never played it on the Wii u:confused:

I forgot how difficult Mario is! There it is all cuddly, colourful and joyous and then you start to die a lot... :o

Dark Souls on acid.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I forgot how difficult Mario is! There it is all cuddly, colourful and joyous and then you start to die a lot... :o

Dark Souls on acid.
    yeah kids these days don't stand a chance with their hand holding dark souls and ****.
    If your not used to the format, when you finish the main campaign that's when the difficulty really gets ramped up and it then becomes a very rewarding game to play and finishing it fully is what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

sugarman wrote: »
    L.A Noire worth a go for €17?

Looking for something a bit different / cheap having got Mario Odyssey & Mario Kart with the Switch for Christmas.

Reviews seems positive, tho gameplay isnt the best it seems.

At that price, go for it.

I have this way of deciding on games, if ive nothing to play and the game catches my eye, sounds great in theory, and is all in the green on metacritic and around €20, then go for it. Bonus if the company that makes it has good rep, and Rockstar are one of the top dogs.

Where are you seeing it for that price exactly? I've always had an interest in trying LA Noir, but never took the plunge on its initial release period, had other games to play.

I miss games like it, i loved Broken sword 1 and 2, which i suspect that game is similar to in ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

sugarman wrote: »
    L.A Noire worth a go for €17?

Looking for something a bit different / cheap having got Mario Odyssey & Mario Kart with the Switch for Christmas.

Reviews seems positive, tho gameplay isnt the best it seems.

I played it on Xbox when it came out and enjoyed it.

I bought Hollow Knight after finishing Octopath and burning out on Mario Tennis. I don't think I've made a better purchase for anything less than a tenner ever. Amazing game.

Just saw that Nintendo are increasing the prices of Nintendo published games on the SA and RU stores. Well, I assume RU, as I can't read it, but it's a notice very similar looking to the SA one. I saw this on the News section on the Switch itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

VeryTerry wrote: »
    I played it on Xbox when it came out and enjoyed it.

I bought Hollow Knight after finishing Octopath and burning out on Mario Tennis. I don't think I've made a better purchase for anything less than a tenner ever. Amazing game.

Just bought Hollow Knight last night, that's my weekend sorted. Might also get Firewatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

chrislad wrote: »
    Just saw that Nintendo are increasing the prices of Nintendo published games on the SA and RU stores. Well, I assume RU, as I can't read it, but it's a notice very similar looking to the SA one. I saw this on the News section on the Switch itself.

What if you go to mexico??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Couldn't find an article online. Any details on when they plan on implementing or is it immediate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

petes wrote: »
    Just bought Hollow Knight last night, that's my weekend sorted. Might also get Firewatch!

Cant stop buying damn games for Switch, it's a sickness. Bought Feudal Alloy last night and it looks good so far. Starting to regret not getting Hollow Night at the discount considering everyone is raving about it.

Firewatch is a nice, enjoyable and strangely relaxing playthrough.

skerry wrote: »
    Couldn't find an article online. Any details on when they plan on implementing or is it immediate?

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was Jan 31st. I'm in work, so I don't have it on me :)

sweetie wrote: »
    What if you go to mexico??

I don't have a Mexican account set up, just US, SA, and RU, but I didn't see any corresponding message for US, so it may be just for the SA and RU regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was Jan 31st. I'm in work, so I don't have it on me :)

You need to get a new job :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

From April 6th
    Their reasoning is that VAT increase in South Africa affected the pricing in eShop to reflect the market conditions.

Edit: Current VAT in South Africa is 14% and after April 1st it will be at 15% FYI

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/88yrn2/new_game_pricing_for_the_south_african_eshop_from/

But also people commenting that some games XC2 for example have had huge jumps not reflective of the above.

Advertisement