Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

JustShay wrote: »
    Congrats! :D I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago. And then my Wallet took the ultimate hit as I browsed the eStore, every day... :cool:

Joycons for me are fine for Zelda. I mainly use the Joycons as One in the included controller grip. I have however ordered one of these to hook up an XBox controller for the likes of Mario Kart...etc Mario Kart on the small individual Joycons, don't do it. I mean you can try, but its just gross. Its fine when using both as one whole controller though.

Ah that is nifty enough might grab that myself at some stage. was thinking about a wired one either ? Like the decals on them.

Hope I give my switch a good bit of time anyway, got red dead for xmas haha

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

Banjo wrote: »
    For the love of god, if you value the relationship don't do this.

Haha maybe I'll just play (OC2) with the sisters when I'm back home for crimbo. Less to lose there and we don't live together :D
    Ah that is nifty enough might grab that myself at some stage. was thinking about a wired one either ? Like the decals on them.

Hope I give my switch a good bit of time anyway, got red dead for xmas haha

Haha, you will have plenty to keep you entertained so! But yeah, wired solution is cheaper obviously, up to you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Rive Ultimate Edition is 50% off on the store at the moment down to 7.49. Anyone know if its worth a punt? Gets good reviews and looks like a fun twin stick type shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

skerry wrote: »
    Are there any essential early game items I should be buyin? Already have the compass and gathering swarm. I find it less stressful when I can resurface and buy something useful once I've built up a bit of geo as I've nothing to lose when I die but most of items that seem useful right now are upwards of 1500 geo.
    Once you have the map and the compass everything else is gravy. Just explore and you'll eventually be stinking rich. The one that makes your nail slightly longer is useful as is the one that makes it slightly quicker, and as long as you're just exploring the Gathering Swarm is brilliant. Switch in something more combat focused when you're going after a boss.
    After that it's down to how you play, what tends to get you killed and what you can afford - I get hit a lot, so the boosted soul collection and/or earning soul for getting hit come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Yeah, definetly try it next time :D No need to ask a seller if they would accept AddressPal, to them its just another address.

That used to be the case.

For example, Argos UK will cancel orders with a parcel motel, parcel wizard or address pal, address. Basically anything with a person identifier number such as APW xxxxxxxxx for address pal. But this is down to the person processing your order. Some will let it through and others won't.

I've been using all of these services for quiet a few years and in the last 6 months have had orders cancelled similar to Skerry.

Yeah I have gotten plenty too but the bigger companies are going to phase out supplying to those address's

I've had multiple lengthy conversations with a 'supervisor' after an order was cancelled and it was pretty clear to them that they would just cancel the moment they got to processing.

Reason being, their tracking ends when the parcel reaches the forwarding company. They have had a lot of people claiming they never received parcels and it is now identified as an insurance risk.

From a user point of view, we also have little protection when a parcel goes missing and unless you have checked the insured value, you could also be out of pocket. So it's worth checking the insurance cover they give you. In parcel motels product, you can take out extra for a set fee.

I've had more than one discussion on this with some companies and they said that they expect amazon will also phase it out in the future as they give a prime service to Ireland already.

Its a very grey area and it is Not just seen as "another address" to all suppliers.

No doubt the forwarding services will tweak their products but from speaking to argos uk, they will cancel orders immediately when they are at the processing stage and see a forwarding address identifier number.

Can't say I'd blame them as it would seem there are a minority of users exploiting the lack of full tracking from source to final destination.

There will be plenty of posts in different threads about cancelled orders and yeah some of us may get our orders from certain suppliers but enjoy the services in their current format, when you can as there are great savings from the UK at times

Im still going to continue to use them all, when I can, but you will see many suppliers refusing to take orders into the future.

• Advertisement

amadablam wrote: »
    That used to be the case.

Anywayy.... Without getting too off track. The Switch ey. Nifty little device. :pac:

Anybody else have an addiction of browsing eStore for new games, rather than playing games which they still haven't completed... I was sat on my sofa last night, looking at whats on offer for a good 20 minutes. Also looking at my Demos, wishing I had the full versions. Maybe if I get myself banned on the eStore, I will finish all my games :D

Actually, another great idea. Uninstall all games except Zelda. That way I will eventually finish Zelda, and won't be arsed re-installing the other games. It's like I procasinate the big games with other games or by browsing the eStore. Getting in the Zone for Zelda is important. Because if you're in a rush or won't have a nice hour or two to play, then you can't appreciate such a game. This goes for all open world, large-scale games.

My two cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anywayy.... Without getting too off track. The Switch ey. Nifty little device. :pac:

Anybody else have an addiction of browsing eStore for new games, rather than playing games which they still haven't completed... I was sat on my sofa last night, looking at whats on offer for a good 20 minutes. Also looking at my Demos, wishing I had the full versions. Maybe if I get myself banned on the eStore, I will finish all my games :D

Actually, another great idea. Uninstall all games except Zelda. That way I will eventually finish Zelda, and won't be arsed re-installing the other games. It's like I procasinate the big games with other games or by browsing the eStore. Getting in the Zone for Zelda is important. Because if you're in a rush or won't have a nice hour or two to play, then you can't appreciate such a game. This goes for all open world, large-scale games.

Just in case, use Archive instead of Delete when removing games

Actually, another great idea Uninstall all games except Zelda. That way I will eventually finish Zelda, and won't be arsed re-installing the other games. It's like I procasinate the big games with other games or by browsing the eStore. Getting in the Zone for Zelda is important. Because if you're in a rush or won't have a nice hour or two to play, then you can't appreciate such a game. This goes for all open world, large-scale games.

Nothing like a bit of self praise for your own ideas :P but well done you!! :D:D

But staying on topic.....I think we are all guilty of having a regular browse on the Eshop for 'bargains'
    and purchasing an awful lot for the back catalog.

The Eshop comparison site is quite good though as you can keep yourself informed on the price changes if you are looking for something in particular.

For anyone that doesnt use it, here is the link to one of them

Eshop Comparison site

Thankfully 'overseas' purchasing isnt as convoluted as on XBL and PSN so I guess we should be grateful for small mercies there.

As long as there are digital games, we will all have significant back logs and the more platforms you plays on, the larger the back catalogs get :D At least the SD and HD suppliers are making a few bob from us too :pac:

We could look at running some multiplayer stuff over the Christmas break, with players on here.

Any interest lads?

Currently play with a good few lads from here on PSN and XBL but we could coordinate a little from here.

@Ciderman, Banjo, Mr E, etc. :

Would there be any interest in using something like Discord or similar for us ninty lads to have a bit of fun?

They work well for certain games on PS and the likes

#firstworldproblems
    :)

amadablam wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of self praise for your own ideas :P but well done you!! :D:D

Thank you! My Mommy says.... :pac:
    But staying on topic.....I think we are all guilty of having a regular browse on the Eshop for 'bargains'
    and purchasing an awful lot for the back catalog.

Yes, was it bad that I didn't complete Mario Odyssey and then bought Zelda whilst it was on sale and started playing it. Not sure how much of Mario I have left, nor do I want to know, to me that's a spoiler. But I've played a good few worlds in it already. Also, Stardew Valley I've done two days (in game), and really want to play it, but god damn, If I get into that, then I won't progress in Zelda. #firstworldproblems

I have genuiely thought about setting up a schedule for myself. Zelda Mondays, Mario Tuesdays, Stardew Wednesdays, Zelda Thursdays, Fridays Whichever.
    The Eshop comparison site is quite good though as you can keep yourself informed on the price changes if you are looking for something in particular.

For anyone that doesnt use it, here is the link to one of them

Eshop Comparison site

Thanks for this. I saw that, but was like, meh too much effort. Need to see how you setup the Switch on another account...
    We should look at running some multiplayer stuff over the Christmas break, with players on here.

Any interest lads?

Currently play with a good few lads from here on PSN and XBL but we should coordinate a little from here.

@Ciderman, Banjo, Mr E, etc. :

Would there be any interest in using something like Discord or similar for us ninty lads to have a bit of fun?

They work well for certain games on PS and the likes
    #firstworldproblems :)

Would definetely be interested. My Code: SW-1606-5018-980. Post the Discord Link too :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just can't get into multiplayer stuff at all.
    So I just avoid it, enough single player content on the Switch to keep me going!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just can't get into multiplayer stuff at all.
    So I just avoid it, enough single player content on the Switch to keep me going!

I see what you mean. Its a lot more effort to go into a room with Discord than it is to just chill on the couch with a Single Player game. Such is the selling point of The Switch, a Portable Games Console. I'm a PC gamer and haven't sat in my gaming room since I got The Switch. I love sitting on the couch whilst submerged in the Kingdom of Hyrule with abosulte sh**e TV on in the background. :p Plus my girlfriend sees me more, now that I play games beside her, instead of in my man cave :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

Still waiting for my switch to arrive but have decided to keep all my games digital. Just wondering if I have it registered as an Irish account is it only the Nintendo e shop and smyths that I can buy digital games? I notice that smyths seems to be about a tenner cheaper than Nintendo for any AAA games that they sell.

Also wondering how often Nintendo have a digital sale? I see that they had some very good offers for Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Have a read of the new owners guide (a sticky thread in this forum)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/108752075

They should be having a sale at Christmas too...

redlead wrote: »
    Still waiting for my switch to arrive but have decided to keep all my games digital. Just wondering if I have it registered as an Irish account is it only the Nintendo e shop and smyths that I can buy digital games? I notice that smyths seems to be about a tenner cheaper than Nintendo for any AAA games that they sell.

Also wondering how often Nintendo have a digital sale? I see that they had some very good offers for Black Friday.

Setup a South African account and link it to your switch alongside your Irish account. Should save you a few bob getting games from that eStore. Plenty of guides around and discussed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Mr E wrote: »
    Have a read of the new owners guide (a sticky thread in this forum)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/108752075

They should be having a sale at Christmas too...

Any idea if the sale does be on before or just after Christmas? Probably be getting a few games as presents but would nearly get E-Shop credit if sale is before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

JustShay wrote:
    Setup a South African account and link it to your switch alongside your Irish account. Should save you a few bob getting games from that eStore. Plenty of guides around and discussed above.

Or just switch your account to whichever (EU) region has the best deals and keep 1 account on the switch.

Grassey wrote: »
    Or just switch your account to whichever (EU) region has the best deals and keep 1 account on the switch.

If you have credit on your account and you switch region, you'll lose the credit. Not an issue if you pay the exact amount every time though...

Not sure what happens to gold points of you switch region...

FYI the boards game awards have started up again. There are 2 switch categories to nominate for... I'm closing this group tomorrow and putting up the next batch of categories.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/499

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Mr E wrote:
    Not sure what happens to gold points of you switch region...

They stay there in that region for their 12 month lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »

Yep, that will do perfect.

Have a look on mymemory.co.uk and picstop.co.uk as well.

Usually an offer with one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads is it possible to play OOT and Pikmin 1 on the virtual console on the Switch? If not, is a Wii U the best option to buy these games on?

There is no Virtual Console on Switch. It is not possible to play either of those two games on Switch at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Lads is it possible to play OOT and Pikmin 1 on the virtual console on the Switch? If not, is a Wii U the best option to buy these games on?

Wii U would work, or even a Wii which can be picked up for peanuts these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

As said, there's no Virtual Console on Switch. You're better off with a Wii U than a Wii, it can do more and it's backwards compatible with the Wii. Besides, the Wii Shop Channel is closing in just over a month, 30th January 2019.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Virtual Console branding is not being used on the Switch, to be more accurate.

Nintendo will be bringing their classic library of titles to the Switch in due course, but the type of service it will be has yet to be disclosed.
      • Will they sell them in packs,
      • Will they sell them singly,
      • Will they be remasters, reproductions or emulations,
      • Will it be blended with the existing Nintendo Online or additional sub?

Nothing has been shown aside from the NES releases on the aforementioned service, but you know it'll be coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Bought myself a switch today with Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey. Will save it as an Xmas present and enjoy getting stuck in. Haven't had a nintendo since the SNES so can't wait. Are the original Mario games still available on the Nintendo online service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Bought myself a switch today with Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey. Will save it as an Xmas present and enjoy getting stuck in. Haven't had a nintendo since the SNES so can't wait. Are the original Mario games still available on the Nintendo online service?

Currently, Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3 are available with the Online subscription, with more games being added all the time. It's all NES games so far, but hopefully SNES and beyond will be added in future.

Enjoy the Switch! It's my favourite gaming console of all time, you have lots to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

pasta-solo wrote:
      Currently, Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3 are available with the Online subscription, with more games being added all the time. It's all NES games so far, but hopefully SNES and beyond will be added in future.

pasta-solo wrote:
      Enjoy the Switch! It's my favourite gaming console of all time, you have lots to look forward to!

Thanks can't wait. Wasn't on my radar until a couple weeks ago. Have been obsessed since watching few youtube videos. Can't wait to get stuck in.

• Advertisement

Congrats dude. Don’t forget, Crash Team Racing next Summer. This will make the switch even more valuable!

Also, Super Mario Odyssey, wow, I’m still not finished it. I bought Zelda and other games which distracted me from it. So much good stuff on the switch. Lots of Demos too which is so handy! I honestly think a Pro Controller will be something you should get eventually. Especially for Mario kart. I played it with a friend on the joycons and they’re just too small separated. Together as one though their fine. But for the second player get a pro controller.

I got the 8bitdo adapter for my Xbox one controller and it has input lag and I don’t like it. It’s a usb device which goes into the dock and allows console controllers to work. Pro controller will also work without the dock.

p.s. the NES games included in Switch Online subscription are perfect. You can create save points, and even play with somebody online. Well worth the €20 a year if you play online games anyway.

Advertisement