Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

and burns one of the update fuses so you cant go back down after updating either.

Xbox 360 done the same years ago but hackers eventually found another exploit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

As have the current Nintendo hackers.
    They've already found a way around it.

It's an unpatchable hardware exploit. From now on, Nintendo will probably include these attempted workarounds in every update. But all they're doing is giving the hackers more work in the hope they'll lose interest.

They've also stopped the grace period for updating and going online. Previously you had a week where you could be on an old firmware and still access online and the eShop but that's stopped with this update. Actually they pushed the update to all online switches and forced an update! Some people aren't happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ah I fgured theyd get around it again, wasn't expecting it to be so soon, youd imagine they wouldn't bother there arse and just work on security for the next SKU in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

If be surprised if the new SKU wasn't already patched. I'm sure Nvidia can do it in the factory and release a new hardware revision that drops straight in. Although they'll probably add a few extras to make it worthwhile, like a smaller chip with better heat management, which would improve battery etc. It's Nintendo though, so they'll prob add in some mad gimmick that'll sell like hotcakes.

Also, I dunno how much you keep up with this stuff but you may or may not know that Nintendo has already released a new version with updated bootloader. It's not the new hardware revision with patched bootloader (codenamed "Mariko") but its definitely giving people problems once they update to firmware 5+. Funnily enough it comes with version 4, which is still vulnerable. So the long and short of it is they've been focusing on anti-hacking for a while now.

My left JoyCon analogue stick has started drifting. Bought the Switch in October 2017, so the 12 month(?) warranty is up.

I was talking to Nintendo support, who are sending me a return label to pack it up and send the JoyCon in for repair. Thing is, isn't the JoyCon out of warranty? Will it be a case of they receive it, fix it, then say "that'll be €xx please".

Might just cancel the repair and buy a new JoyCon if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My left JoyCon analogue stick has started drifting. Bought the Switch in October 2017, so the 12 month(?) warranty is up.

I was talking to Nintendo support, who are sending me a return label to pack it up and send the JoyCon in for repair. Thing is, isn't the JoyCon out of warranty? Will it be a case of they receive it, fix it, then say "that'll be €xx please".

Bring the joy cons back to wherever you bought your console and ask them to replace it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Bring the joy cons back to wherever you bought your console and ask them to replace it.

Amazon. :o

Usually their good with returns, so I'll give that a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Amazon. :o

Usually their good with returns, so I'll give that a shot.

You should have no problem with Amazon. Just do it through contact us and explain the problem, say it's a known issue and you'd like a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

That's what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Grassey wrote: »
    That's what happened to me.

How much did they look for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

€35 I think.

And at that I don't think they repaired it, they sent me a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Their 12 month warranty doesn't mean squat, when EU law dictates that they must provide a 2 year warranty on all electrical goods:
    EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Hey,

Just ordered my switch today noticed there was a sale on Microsd cards one for 20 pounds 128gb would that be worth getting? or is it too small how big are the games install size on the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Hey,

Just ordered my switch today noticed there was a sale on Microsd cards one for 20 pounds 128gb would that be worth getting? or is it too small how big are the games install size on the switch?

128gb is loads for now in my opinion.
    Games like Zelda & Skyrim are around about the 13-15gb size, Mario Odyssey is about 5gb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hey,

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I ordered that same sd card just last week. Finally outgrew my 64gb card. Pull the trigger. It's not gonna get much cheaper than that for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

I've ordered a switch but don't have one yet. Is it possible for someone to buy me a gift token for the Nintendo estore so that I can download a game on Christmas day. Its been surprisingly hard find a link to send them to buy one.... Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

redlead wrote: »
    I've ordered a switch but don't have one yet. Is it possible for someone to buy me a gift token for the Nintendo estore so that I can download a game on Christmas day. Its been surprisingly hard find a link to send them to buy one.... Thanks

Can't you just swing into a game shop somewhere and buy an eshop voucher there?
    Might be best to open that thing and register/download the game ahead of the big day, even the PS4/XB1 have some trouble as people all try to update from the servers at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I thought eShop Vouchers were not working yet on the Switch, read something about it a while back as I had a voucher I ended up using on my 3DS instead

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I thought eShop Vouchers were not working yet on the Switch, read something about it a while back as I had a voucher I ended up using on my 3DS instead

e-shop vouchers work fine on Switch. Have bought several from gamestop and they all worked. Don't think they specifically mention the Switch on the voucher itself but they work 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

Thanks guys. Will pick one up in store so. I saw they just said wii on them so presumed they wouldn't work on switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Quite a few little tidbits coming out from 'insiders', some quite reliable about what could be shown at The Game Awards next week. Metroid is the one heavily hinted at by a few, with some also possibly hinting at Retro's game. I think we may get a Metroid trailer with a release 'window', Q4 2019 etc.

With Smash released the day after it's gonna be a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

5 Nintendo trailers. One for each Smash DLC character. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, they've had such success all the other times they've tried this.
    While the PSP sold as did the Vita, they didn't perform anything like Nintendo's offerings, despite being more powerful hardware.
    Turned out people didn't want to play Uncharted on the go.
    Maybe it's a dongle for a tv, bringing some sort of PSTV type functionality to any HDMI telly, with the port on it being for the power supply.
    Doesn't look like a game cart though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Unless their answer to the dock was just to plug a cable from the TV directly into the cart? Weird idea but possible I suppose. Or plug the cart in to the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That new 'cartridge' is possibly from Sony's Toio range of educational/coding electronic toys.

https://c.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/toio-800x420.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Lads, looking for some advice. I'm sure its been asked more than a few times here but nearly 500 pages of comments I guessed it would be easier just post.

Debating getting a Switch for Christmas but I'm not sure its for me just yet. I have One X and PS4 Pro and between them I have a few of the indie games that are common on the Switch (Dead Cells, Celeste, Hollow Knight). Thing is I don't find myself playing those games much.

For Switch owners on here did you find yourself playing this type of game more as they are more suited to the Switch form factor or are did you get it for the bigger titles like Mario Odyssey and Zelda. I'm a huge Zelda fan and feel I'm losing out by not experiencing BotW but not sure that and Mario and a couple more titles will justify the purchase.

Can get the Mario Odyssey bundle for 310 euros at the moment, presume that's a reasonable price.

Advertisement