Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

skerry wrote: »
    Lads, looking for some advice. I'm sure its been asked more than a few times here but nearly 500 pages of comments I guessed it would be easier just post.

Debating getting a Switch for Christmas but I'm not sure its for me just yet. I have One X and PS4 Pro and between them I have a few of the indie games that are common on the Switch (Dead Cells, Celeste, Hollow Knight). Thing is I don't find myself playing those games much.

For Switch owners on here did you find yourself playing this type of game more as they are more suited to the Switch form factor or are did you get it for the bigger titles like Mario Odyssey and Zelda. I'm a huge Zelda fan and feel I'm losing out by not experiencing BotW but not sure that and Mario and a couple more titles will justify the purchase.

Can get the Mario Odyssey bundle for 310 euros at the moment, presume that's a reasonable price.

Zelda BOTW & Mario Odyssey are 2 of the most fantastic games I've played. In my opinion they are well worth the cost of the Switch alone.

I've got an XBox One & PS4 as well but nowadays the XBox is used as a media player & PS4 was only used recently for Spiderman.

I don't play much of the indie games on the switch, recently I've been playing through Pokemon with my wife but I've also played JRPG (Octopath Traveller), Fantasy RPG (Skyrim), city building (Cities: Skylines), strategy (Mario & Rabbids), racing multiplayer (Mario Kart) and chaos relationship destroying multiplayer (Overcooked) games.

I've also found it replacing my PC gaming with Football Manager & Civilisation.

There is something for everyone. From what I can tell, the people who are not satisfied with the Switch are people who expect XBox/PS4 graphics or only want to play AAA/Sports/FPS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Dermo wrote: »
    Zelda BOTW & Mario Odyssey are 2 of the most fantastic games I've played. In my opinion they are well worth the cost of the Switch alone.

I've got an XBox One & PS4 as well but nowadays the XBox is used as a media player & PS4 was only used recently for Spiderman.

I don't play much of the indie games on the switch, recently I've been playing through Pokemon with my wife but I've also played JRPG (Octopath Traveller), Fantasy RPG (Skyrim), city building (Cities: Skylines), strategy (Mario & Rabbids), racing multiplayer (Mario Kart) and chaos relationship destroying multiplayer (Overcooked) games.

I've also found it replacing my PC gaming with Football Manager & Civilisation.

There is something for everyone. From what I can tell, the people who are not satisfied with the Switch are people who expect XBox/PS4 graphics or only want to play AAA/Sports/FPS games.

Thanks for that. Definitely not expecting 4k graphics or anything, I have that base covered with the One X and the Pro.

Would love to play Odyssey and Zelda and I hear Metroid is in development, which I'm also a big fan of. I also enjoy JRPG's, something I've only recently discovered since getting a PS4 as the Xbox is woefully short on JRPG offerings.

Some OK deals on Ebay today and as far as I understand the Mario bundle isn't bad at around 310. Nearly pulled the trigger on it a few times already today.

Its either a Switch or PSVR and I'm thinking VR novelty might wear off quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks for that. Definitely not expecting 4k graphics or anything, I have that base covered with the One X and the Pro.

Would love to play Odyssey and Zelda and I hear Metroid is in development, which I'm also a big fan of. I also enjoy JRPG's, something I've only recently discovered since getting a PS4 as the Xbox is woefully short on JRPG offerings.

Some OK deals on Ebay today and as far as I understand the Mario bundle isn't bad at around 310. Nearly pulled the trigger on it a few times already today.

Its either a Switch or PSVR and I'm thinking VR novelty might wear off quick enough.

I havent touched my XB1 a since getting the Switch. Now the XB1 is a great console with loads going for it but as someone who works and has a young child, the time I get to play games is less and less.

The Switch is really easy to pick and and play on the commute or at lunch etc, which gives it the edge over the other consoles for me. Also has someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since the N64, the ports etc don't bother me.

If you want to do any "gaming on the go" the switch is really great for that

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

Got a Switch a week ago. Two words... Get One.

Games are pricey, but think of them as investments :P At least that's how I've justified spending so much on games already :pac:

JustShay wrote: »
    Got a Switch a week ago. Two words... Get One.

Games are pricey, but think of them as investments :P At least that's how I've justified spending so much on games already :pac:

My only concern is that I already have a lot of the type of games I think I would enjoy on the Switch on my Xbox (Skyrim, Dead Cells, Doom, Celeste).

Obviously there is the big factor of the Nintendo exclusives like Zelda and Mario but I'm concerned that once I finish them I'll leave it down again until maybe Metroid is released.

Never played Diablo and would think that would be a good option on the Switch.

Finger currently hovering over the Switch Diablo 3 bundle for 310 on Ebay :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Diablo 3 is great fun, but a bit lonely and repetitive solo, so factor in the online sub to your price!

My only concern is that I already have a lot of the type of games I think I would enjoy on the Switch on my Xbox (Skyrim, Dead Cells, Doom, Celeste).

Obviously there is the big factor of the Nintendo exclusives like Zelda and Mario but I'm concerned that once I finish them I'll leave it down again until maybe Metroid is released.

Never played Diablo and would think that would be a good option on the Switch.

Finger currently hovering over the Switch Diablo 3 bundle for 310 on Ebay :confused:

You won't put Zelda down for a long time, trust me. If you do, then get Stardew Valley. That will give you a few hundred more hours until Metroid is released :P

I hope you pushed the button? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

put in presents into the voucher section on ebay and it should give you a 15% discount to a max of £50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

put in presents into the voucher section on ebay and it should give you a 15% discount to a max of £50

Make that ebay.co.uk wont work on ie, got Mario party switch today with that.

Cheers, had that code in and it brings the bundle down from £319 to £271 (around 310 euro). Dilemma is do I pull the trigger now or wait and hope there will be another discount in a few weeks closer to Christmas. Would be better if there was a Zelda bundle but haven't seen one pop up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Next eBay discount is going to be 10% off
    I dont know what categories that applies to yet though

So after a long hard day of my finger hovering over the Buy button, gravity got too much and I am now the proud owner of a Switch Ltd Edition Diablo bundle which should touch down next week :)

Thanks for all the info folks, no doubt I'll be frequenting this page more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So after a long hard day of my finger hovering over the Buy button, gravity got too much and I am now the proud owner of a Switch Ltd Edition Diablo bundle which should touch down next week :)

Thanks for all the info folks, no doubt I'll be frequenting this page more often.

3 games for €100 on amazon.de at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Welcome to the club. Next step. Get Zelda.

Welcome to the club. Next step. Get Zelda.

Definitely top of the list, will be dropping the hints for Santa and hopefully Diablo will keep me occupied in the meantime.

TitianGerm wrote: »

That's just cruel! :D

TitianGerm wrote: »

Cheers, gonna let the wallet recover for the moment though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Definitely top of the list, will be dropping the hints for Santa and hopefully Diablo will keep me occupied in the meantime.

Despite me not posting to sway you on this latest purchase , i knew how this would play out. :D

It reminded me of the 'Will I? Won't I? " playstation debacle of June 2017 which was brought to you by the makers of ' i can't see the sense in an Xbox One X' last year, which was the dramatised version of 'im not into gaming, why would I buy a One S', the prequel in 2016

Im looking forward to a private screening of 'My gaming brother is always right' when I call over Christmas. :D

Well wear Ted :D

amadablam wrote: »
    Despite me not posting to sway you on this latest purchase , i knew how this would play out. :D

It reminded me of the 'Will I? Won't I? " playstation debacle of June 2017 which was brought to you by the makers of ' i can't see the sense in an Xbox One X' last year, which was the dramatised version of 'im not into gaming, why would I buy a One S', the prequel in 2016

Im looking forward to a private screening of 'My gaming brother is always right' when I call over Christmas. :D

Well wear Ted :D

Feel free to never believe a word that comes out of my mouth again :D

"Couldn't justify a Switch" I believe is what I said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

A few of us on here about to start some co-op on Sat night. There might be a space if you’re interested. I’ll post my friend code if you are.

• Advertisement

tony1980 wrote: »
    A few of us on here about to start some co-op on Sat night. There might be a space if you’re interested. I’ll post my friend code if you are.

Sound, won't have console until next week and never played Diablo before so will give a shout once I get used to the game and level up some.

Was debating getting it for the Xbox recently but reckon it might be more enjoyable on Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Okay I'll admit, it's probably my first time posting here as I'm not a Nintendo head, I only picked up a Super Famicom and Wii in recent years and barely played them, and never owned another Nintendo system ever but anyway...

As a VR enthusiast I had to share the worst idea ever with you guys, how it was funded 3 times over begs belief.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ns-glasses-first-3d-headset-for-nintendo-switch

Doge wrote: »
    Okay I'll admit, it's probably my first time posting here as I'm not a Nintendo head, I only picked up a Super Famicom and Wii in recent years and barely played them, and never owned another Nintendo system ever but anyway...

As a VR enthusiast I had to share the worst idea ever with you guys, how it was funded 3 times over begs belief.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ns-glasses-first-3d-headset-for-nintendo-switch

As a non VR enthusiast it looks ok to me, whats the issue from someone with more experience like yourself because my son would love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Because the Switch doesn't do 3d displays, this thing is effectively trying to fake a 3d display...

" the Lens passively zooms at a set of preliminary colors turning your game into 3D"

... ya what now?

As a non VR enthusiast it looks ok to me, whats the issue from someone with more experience like yourself because my son would love that.

The resolution of the screen is way too low for VR. It'd be awful.

Not to mention the weight of the screen! Don't let this happen to your son!
    giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a load of old cobblers, and will only end in a sore neck and eye strain.
    Just buy a cheap PSVR headset for the PS4 instead, and Astro Bot, feels like VR Mario Sunshine in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Banjo wrote:
    The resolution of the screen is way too low for VR. It'd be awful.
    ]

Did you miss the but where it says it smooths the pixels!!

The future is now! IMAX your face baby!

Grassey wrote: »
    ]

Did you miss the but where it says it smooths the pixels!!

The future is now! IMAX your face baby!

So how can they do that but Nintendo cant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

They are keeping that in the bank for sligeachs switch u in 2019

• Advertisement

Anybody else get serious neck strain whilst playing on the bus. Dublin Bus seats don't help the situation, but I just started playing recently on the bus, and I can't do it for long.

Advertisement