Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Thinking of picking up either Shovel Knight or The Messenger. Anyone who has both care to recommend best option. Looking for a platformer I can dip in and out of.

Have Hollow Knight but find its not great for a quick game here and there cos it can be hard to make progress sometimes. Could play for 30 mins there some days and not even make it to the next bench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

skerry wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up either Shovel Knight or The Messenger. Anyone who has both care to recommend best option. Looking for a platformer I can dip in and out of.

Have Hollow Knight but find its not great for a quick game here and there cos it can be hard to make progress sometimes. Could play for 30 mins there some days and not even make it to the next bench
    Guacamelee 2 could be a contender... Haven't played it but it reviewed very well and part one was supposed to be brilliant. I bought it on ps4 but never actually got around to playing it.

iamtony wrote: »
    Guacamelee 2 could be a contender... Haven't played it but it reviewed very well and part one was supposed to be brilliant. I bought it on ps4 but never actually got around to playing it.

Same as yourself now, I bought first part upon Xbox for a few bob but only played it for an hour and never got back to it again. Messenger supposed to be very good so I'm veering towards that although a lot of more content in Shovel Knight I'd imagine cos it has all DLCs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The Messenger is very good albeit fairly difficult in places. It starts off as a linear platformer but then opens up later on. It controls well but you might find yourself dying a bit at the start until you understand the different techniques.

It's a bit more forgiving than Shovel Knight in places and the areas leading up to each boss is quite short which lends itself well as a quick pick up and play. 15-20 hours of gameplay too.

You can't go wrong with either to be fair. Shovel Knight is up there with the best platformers of all time. Finish one, give yourself a break, then get the other. :D

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The Messenger is very good albeit fairly difficult in places. It starts off as a linear platformer but then opens up later on. It controls well but you might find yourself dying a bit at the start until you understand the different techniques.

It's a bit more forgiving than Shovel Knight in places and the areas leading up to each boss is quite short which lends itself well as a quick pick up and play. 15-20 hours of gameplay too.

You can't go wrong with either to be fair. Shovel Knight is up there with the best platformers of all time. Finish one, give yourself a break, then get the other. :D

Cool, might treat myself to The Messenger so. Don't mind a bit of a challenge as long as its fair and the controls are tight. Nothing worse than games presenting ridiculous challenges that require exact timing and having pi$$ poor controls ruin the whole experience.

Actually think I'd enjoy the linear part before it goes all Metroidvania. Refreshing to see a indie platformer have at least a section that isn't Metroidvania these days as the market seems to be completely saturated with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

... as the market seems to be completely saturated with them.

And the problem is? :)

I think there are more rogue like/lite games than Metroidvania games, to be fair...

The Messenger is a great choice, though. I'm stuck on a boss about half way through - must get back to it.

Mr E wrote: »
    And the problem is? :)

I think there are more rogue like/lite games than Metroidvania games, to be fair...

The Messenger is a great choice, though. I'm stuck on a boss about half way through - must get back to it.

I'm a fan of them myself when they are done right. Metroid is one of my favorite franchises in gaming. I'm just shocked these days if I read a review that doesn't mention Metroidvania :)

Agree on the Rogue like/ lite side of things though, a$$ load of them out too. Have Dead Cells on the Xbox and its good but I think I only have room in my life for 1 Rogue like game (although I did buy Crypt of the Necrodancer in sale which I haven't gave much play time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I see the switch uses a 3.5mm audio jack. I have 2 children that will most likely want to play online together. How will the audio options work. Can both use a headset with mic?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I see the switch uses a 3.5mm audio jack. I have 2 children that will most likely want to play online together. How will the audio options work. Can both use a headset with mic?

It depends on the game, all Nintendo games(maybe most 3rd party games too) require a separate phone app as far as I'm aware. But my son plays Fortnite on Switch, with his friends on PS4, and a normal headset works just fine without the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

OSI wrote: »
    Online chat is done with a separate phone app.

Ok thats fine. So along the lines of Discord etc?

• Advertisement

Lads I presume there is such a thing as approaching a boss too early in the game in Zelda. Getting my a$$ handed to me here for the last half hour. Reckon I'm just under-levelled or don't have right equipment.

Need to get a decent one handed sword I think. Any suggestions on where to pick one up that won't break if I look sideways at it?

You mean one of the guardians? Stay away from them for a while. Concentrate on exploring and shrines.

You'll get better weapons the further you get.

Mr E wrote: »
    You mean one of the guardians? Stay away from them for a while. Concentrate on exploring and shrines.

You'll get better weapons the further you get.

No its
    the Thunderblight Ganon in the Divine Beat in Gerudo Desert

Beat first one I came across without too much hassle but this guy is pasting me. Only have two handed weapons at the moment and their far too slow for him.

I might have got over ambitious in taking it on this early. Best I've done is about half health and got him down to second phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

No its
    the Thunderblight Ganon in the Divine Beat in Gerudo Desert

Beat first one I came across without too much hassle but this guy is pasting me. Only have two handed weapons at the moment and their far too slow for him.

I might have got over ambitious in taking it on this early. Best I've done is about half health and got him down to second phase.

Yeah the Gerudo valley section is like the hardest, you can go any order you want, but the proper order (in terms of difficulty) easiest to hardest is Zora (elephant) - Goron (lizard) - Rito (bird) - Gerudo (camel)

But again, you dont have to do them in this order, just might be progressively easier this way.

And in terms of weapons, be prepared to be disappointed, they all break and all last pissing time. Even the
    Master sword
    does but its repairable, that being a major let down, and its my only real complaint about the game, the weapon system was woeful :(

nix wrote: »
    Yeah the Gerudo valley section is like the hardest, you can go any order you want, but the proper order (in terms of difficulty) easiest to hardest is Zora (elephant) - Goron (lizard) - Rito (bird) - Gerudo (camel)

But again, you dont have to do them in this order, just might be progressively easier this way.

And in terms of weapons, be prepared to be disappointed, they all break and all last pissing time. Even the
    Master sword
    does but its repairable, that being a major let down, and its my only real complaint about the game, the weapon system was woeful :(

Its not until this stage in the game that I'm starting to have issues with the weapon system. All along it seemed grand and there is nearly always another better weapon to be picked up soon after one breaks. Badly need a decent one handed sword for this lad now as all I seem to be coming across is two handed and their too slow, need to have shield at the ready at all times with this guy.

Farmed a bit last night and got additional inventory slots for weapons and hoping to pick up a couple of reasonable one handed swords and try him again. Had him down to his last phase last night but just couldn't land a hit so he is looking more doable and reckon I'll beat him with a couple of decent swords at hand.

Still really enjoying the game though and its good that you can just leave the area once you've got to the boss and can come back again whenever (presume there is no time limit and it doesn't reset the beast or anything). Map is huge and despite is not being the most densely populated of maps, there is still loads to do and always fun getting over the next mountain to see whats there.

Have Mario coming next week and Xenoblade Chronicles too so will give Zelda a break for a bit then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, that's probably the trickiest of them, but being nimble, using the runes and having the best weapons you can gather is the way to tackle it.

If you work up the nerve to get into Hyrule Castle (just avoid going to the top unless you want to face the end-game boss!) and can beat some of the enemies in there, there are lots of really good weapons to be farmed in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hi Guys, picked up a switch for myself for Xmas, looking for a controller but think the pro one is a little steep, any cheaper decent alternatives you would recommend?

Hi Guys, picked up a switch for myself for Xmas, looking for a controller but think the pro one is a little steep, any cheaper decent alternatives you would recommend?

Have you got a gamecube by any chance? I got myself a gamecube controller adapter off amazon for £23 and now have myself 2 x gamecube controllers i can use, which is great as the cube controller is the best one ever :pac:

Failing that, if you want to stay official and dont mind wires, you can try the pro controller wired. You can get the pro controller wired for €25-30 in smyths.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-accessories/c/SM06045203

Failing that, you can look around for some non official pads, which might be ok, i never get them though, maybe look for reviews before you buy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Pro controllers are still nuts money (€75), what's up with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Too much tech packed into them. They can do everything the Joy Cons can do except for splitting them in half of course. There are a couple of 3rd party options that drop some features you may not need - like the IR camera, NFC and sometimes motion controls - that cost a little less. Amazon carries a few, and there's the 8BitDo ones that are about €40 (less if you don't mind waiting and rolling the dice with Ali Express) .

Nice! Id pick up a couple of them myself if i didnt already get sorted with the gamecube controllers. They are at a great price, and i have never had an issue with wires on joypads. :)

I was tempted to get the wireless gamecube controller as it works with all switch games, but they dont have rumble of any kind and require AA batteries which is lame :(

Star Lord wrote: »
    Yeah, that's probably the trickiest of them, but being nimble, using the runes and having the best weapons you can gather is the way to tackle it.

If you work up the nerve to get into Hyrule Castle (just avoid going to the top unless you want to face the end-game boss!) and can beat some of the enemies in there, there are lots of really good weapons to be farmed in there.

Finally beat him. Tough fight and was genuinely starting to wreck my head. I know I could have left him and got better gear and less frustration but I just couldn't enjoy wandering around exploring knowing he was still there. Managed to get a decent one handed sword and stocked up on food and got him after a few more goes this evening. Haven't had that much relief from beating a boss since Abyss Watchers in DS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

I only have mine a week but have found that virtually all of my gameplay at home has been portable over docked as it just suits me. I've only played Mario odyssey so far which is very easy but I know the controls could get a bit awkward in portable mode with a harder game. The D pads must be rubbish when you need to use them. I've only used the control Dock thing once but again I'd worry about the lack of real D pad. 2d platformers are still my favourite games at the end of the day so I need one. Might check out some of the 8bit pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bought a Switch (again) last weekend courtesy of a one4all voucher from work.

Mario Kart bundle. Wanted Odyssey but Gamestop didn't have it. Got DK: Tropical Freeze instead. Will pick up Mario today.
    Might tip back in to BOTW. It was the only game I had when I first bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Getting one for christmas myself so was on the lookout for controller.
    Came across this one which gets good reviews and from what I can see doesn't drop any features, has NFC, wireless, motioncontrol.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0795D8WPK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3F52NXPM7S2J0&psc=1

Be curious to hear if anyone here has it and what they think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

The switch subscription thingy
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Nintendo-Switch-Online/Pricing-1374627.html
    Is it worth getting? My son wants it and will probably get it for Xmas. Not sure if I should get the family one so his sister can play as well?
    Apologies if this has already been discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

john9876 wrote: »
    The switch subscription thingy
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Nintendo-Switch-Online/Pricing-1374627.html
    Is it worth getting? My son wants it and will probably get it for Xmas. Not sure if I should get the family one so his sister can play as well?
    Apologies if this has already been discussed.
    Unless he wants to play online, then no definitely not

I don't even think it's needed for all of the online games

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If the game was free (eg Fortnite or Paladins) then it probably doesn't need the sub.

• Advertisement

I know I have some eshop credit coming my way for Christmas, but I just checked my wishlist and only 6 out of 29 games there are on sale. :(

Advertisement