Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a load of old cobblers, and will only end in a sore neck and eye strain.
    Just buy a cheap PSVR headset for the PS4 instead, and Astro Bot, feels like VR Mario Sunshine in there!

How is PSVR with the standard PS4? Half thinking adding it to the Santa list. Be great if can use it on PC as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

JustShay wrote: »
    Anybody else get serious neck strain whilst playing on the bus. Dublin Bus seats don't help the situation, but I just started playing recently on the bus, and I can't do it for long.

The switch isn't the problem it's the fact you're on a bus. A dublin bus one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ste- wrote: »
    The switch isn't the problem it's the fact you're on a bus. A dublin bus one at that.

In fairness, I tried playing Switch in the comfort of my car and not only am I still in hospital but the other driver has a brace on his neck and it's been two weeks now, so it's probably the Switch, not the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nedd

The way to stop the neck strain is to hold the screen higher when playing, but then you end up with arm strain.

I play on the train and after the first couple of days of sore neck from looking down at the screen your body adjusts. Now my posture is so bad I will probably contract scoliosis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How is PSVR with the standard PS4? Half thinking adding it to the Santa list. Be great if can use it on PC as well

Some games look a bit muddy but in play are great, such as Drive Club VR.
    Others, like Dirt 2 and Wipeout Omega, are amazing.
    Astro Bot is pure genius, reminds me of the class at work in Tearaway on the Vita and Puppeteer on the PS3.

So, with the discounts right now, a worthy purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cheers. Must look more into it such as cable length and ability to use on PC. Too bad Smyths or somewhere doesn't have a demo booth. Though I guess be unhygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

skerry wrote: »
    So after a long hard day of my finger hovering over the Buy button, gravity got too much and I am now the proud owner of a Switch Ltd Edition Diablo bundle which should touch down next week :)

Thanks for all the info folks, no doubt I'll be frequenting this page more often.

So after all the excitement above I had my order cancelled by Boss-Deals on Ebay today as they don't use Parcel Motel anymore due to issues with fraudulent activity. Raging, wish they could have just refused the order in the first place when address was selected. Missed out on the 15% discount from Ebay too.

Decided to head into Smyths and pick one up in B&M store altogether. Luckily they have a reasonable offer on same bundle at the moment.

Downside, it cost a few bob more. Upside, its all set up now and downloading Diablo 3 as I type :D

Seems there are less and less UK outlets willing to use Parcel Motel which is a pity but obviously some folk are taking advantage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got Swords and Sworcery and RType today, haven't tried the former but RType is still a class act, and switching between original visuals and new is smooth and well implemented, especially as the soundtrack also shifts from original to new too.
    The autofire makes it a lot easier though you can resist temptation and just use the original firing mechanics if you want.

Had my first blast of the Switch today and have to say I'm impressed so far. Put it on the TV for a few minutes last night and thought it was a bit blurry but changed TV to game mode today and it's much better. Actually looks better than I thought it would.

Loving the convenience of it. Have a toddler so she was watching Peppa for a bit earlier and I was playing a cheeky game of Diablo for 20 minutes.

Diablo is good so far. Hadn't played it on any other platforms but seems like the type of game that's well suited to the Switch.

Well impressed with the library of retro titles too, that was a nice little surprise.

God help me when I get Zelda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anyone know where I can get Labo parts? UK store is out of stock for the accessory pack

https://m.store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-labo/nintendo-labo-toy-con-01-variety-kit-replacement-pack-accessories/11770938.html

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Haven't played Switch yet but am getting one for Christmas. So far I'm getting Mario Kart 8 and Zelda games. One thing I was wondering though, do people think it's worth getting a game like 1,2 Switch as a beginner game and first try of the console? Is it a good game? I want one that will show off the cooler aspects of the console and the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

laneykin wrote: »
    Haven't played Switch yet but am getting one for Christmas. So far I'm getting Mario Kart 8 and Zelda games. One thing I was wondering though, do people think it's worth getting a game like 1,2 Switch as a beginner game and first try of the console? Is it a good game? I want one that will show off the cooler aspects of the console and the controls.

Definitely don't get 1,2 Switch! It would literally be a waste of money. The main hook of the Switch is that it's portable and not it's motion control capability. Therefore always focus on getting genuinely good games and you won't be disappointed.

If you're looking for a third game that is beginner friendly, Mario Odyssey all day long. It utilizes the vibration and motion control aspects but it doesn't force them upon you. It is literally one of the best games of all time and it should be at the top of your list of what to buy next.

Zelda, Mario Kart & Mario Odyssey is the perfect combination of games for a first time Switch owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Definitely don't get 1,2 Switch! It would literally be a waste of money. The main hook of the Switch is that it's portable and not it's motion control capability. Therefore always focus on getting genuinely good games and you won't be disappointed.

If you're looking for a third game that is beginner friendly, Mario Odyssey all day long. It utilizes the vibration and motion control aspects but it doesn't force them upon you. It is literally one of the best games of all time and it should be at the top of your list of what to buy next.

Zelda, Mario Kart & Mario Odyssey is the perfect combination of games for a first time Switch owner.

Thanks for the advice :) Will start looking around to see where I can get Mario Odyssey cheapest. Cannot wait to try out this console! Have wanted one since it first came out but the price tag was too high so major excitement to be getting it for Christmas now.

One other question I have that you might be able to answer is regarding Zelda, I chose to get this game as I've heard it's the best there is and an absolute must have. I'm not much of a gamer though, usually sticking with the Mario games or Pokemon and one concern I have had is that Zelda will be a bit difficult for me, is there any concern there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

laneykin wrote: »
    One other question I have that you might be able to answer is regarding Zelda, I chose to get this game as I've heard it's the best there is and an absolute must have. I'm not much of a gamer though, usually sticking with the Mario games or Pokemon and one concern I have had is that Zelda will be a bit difficult for me, is there any concern there?

That's hard to say without directly knowing your capability. You're not a complete first timer. At least you understand the process moving, jumping and testing your reactions while playing Mario.

The most difficult part of Zelda will obviously be the combat, but that doesn't mean it's too difficult. As with any game, you'll be surprised what you can do with a bit of practice. Your brain just figures it out. Don't be afraid to look up a few YouTube videos for combat tips.

Combat is only one part of the game though. Personally it's my favourite game of all time and it's definitely not because of the combat! I won't spoil anything but you'll feel compelled to explore and reach the top of a random mountain in the distance and more often than not, the journey to that peak rewards you in many different ways, leaving you excited to go and explore some more!

As I said, don't be afraid to refer to some online guides to explain different aspects of the game when you start playing and just enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Really thinking of picking this up as a Xmas treat for myself. Can get the bundle with Mario Kart deluxe for 329 in smyths. Only really interested in the mario games at the moment so not sure if Id get the value. Mario Kart online looks great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Really thinking of picking this up as a Xmas treat for myself. Can get the bundle with Mario Kart deluxe for 329 in smyths. Only really interested in the mario games at the moment so not sure if Id get the value. Mario Kart online looks great craic.

Have a look at my post in the BA thread. That bundle with a headset for £280 which is about €315. Not a massive saving but you'll get the headset as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Don't we all love our switches for many different reasons :D

vo48sGD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Do physical and downloaded games take up the same amount of space. If I was buying this mainly for mario kart and didn't plan on trading it is there any downside to downloadable game v physical

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Physical games are on the cartridge. They don't take up space on the Switch (apart from patches and save files).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mr E wrote: »
    Physical games are on the cartridge. They don't take up space on the Switch (apart from patches and save files).

Well there are games on cartridge which take quite a lot of storage, LA Noire and Wolfenstein 2 a couple of examples.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well there are games on cartridge which take quite a lot of storage, LA Noire and Wolfenstein 2 a couple of examples.

Didn't know that. I suppose to keep costs down. I wonder what size the largest cartridge capacity is? 4GB's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Didn't know that. I suppose to keep costs down. I wonder what size the largest cartridge capacity is? 4GB's?

32gb i think I read somewhere, but not many/none use that size (wide open to correction on this though)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think they go up to 64GB, but those are very rare... If any have used it!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

Seems there are less and less UK outlets willing to use Parcel Motel which is a pity but obviously some folk are taking advantage.

Firstly, congrats on your purchase! You have a lot of fun times ahead! ☺️

Secondly, why not use AddressPal with An Post. Excellent service and so easy to use! Sign up, you get a UK Address and a USA Address. Then it gets delivered directly to your door, or you can select a local post office to pick it up from.

P.s. those wondering about Zelda, I have a bad habit of not finishing games, cough The Witcher 3, because they’re so large in scale, but I probably will finish Zelda because it’s just beautiful to look at. Difficulty wise, there’s these things called Shrines, and those alone are just FUN to complete. They use the motion control too which really makes it so immersive.

And Mario Kart 8, be warned the joycons don’t do it justice when playing two player. I’ve ordered a usb Xbox adapter so that if somebody is over I then have two decent controllers to play with. Joycons are just too small for Mario kart.

Human Fall Flat is a great game, but they really messed up multiplayer on the switch with the joycons. It’s completely broken and you can’t move the camera. So avoid this one if getting it for its multiplayer with joycons. It may be ok with Xbox controller and two joycons attached as one. Single player works perfectly though.

Have to add this game in. Inversus. Really cool multiplayer game. Try the Demo, I’m tempted to get full version cuz my friend and I loved it so much.

Firstly, congrats on your purchase! You have a lot of fun times ahead! ☺️

Secondly, why not use AddressPal with An Post. Excellent service and so easy to use! Sign up, you get a UK Address and a USA Address. Then it gets delivered directly to your door, or you can select a local post office to pick it up from.

P.s. those wondering about Zelda, I have a bad habit of not finishing games, cough The Witcher 3, because they’re so large in scale, but I probably will finish Zelda because it’s just beautiful to look at. Difficulty wise, there’s these things called Shrines, and those alone are just FUN to complete. They use the motion control too which really makes it so immersive.

And Mario Kart 8, be warned the joycons don’t do it justice when playing two player. I’ve ordered a usb Xbox adapter so that if somebody is over I then have two decent controllers to play with. Joycons are just too small for Mario kart.

Human Fall Flat is a great game, but they really messed up multiplayer on the switch with the joycons. It’s completely broken and you can’t move the camera. So avoid this one if getting it for its multiplayer with joycons. It may be ok with Xbox controller and two joycons attached as one. Single player works perfectly though.

Have to add this game in. Inversus. Really cool multiplayer game. Try the Demo, I’m tempted to get full version cuz my friend and I loved it so much.

I have an Address Pal account but it never occurs to me to use it and I generally default to Parcel Motel. I messaged the Ebay seller last week to see if Address Pal would be acceptable but never got a reply, I don't think customer service is top of their agenda.

Really enjoying the Switch so far though and I haven't even got Zelda or Mario yet. Think I'm gonna pick up Zelda before the weekend. I'm used to Xbox and PS4 games going on sale but I can't see that happening with Zelda anytime soon seeing as its been on sale a week ago on E Shop. Can get it for 55 digital and think that's about the best I'll get. I'm just depriving myself of an awesome experience by holding out. Have played a lot of Zelda games in the past and its definitely in my top 3 franchises across all consoles.

Playing Hollow Knight at the moment which I already had on Xbox but never played much. I think its more suited to the Switch and actually making some progress now although it can be frustrating at times. I'm used to games where you move onto the next level straight after a boss whereas in this I find myself wandering around the level for the bones of an hour exploring before I find a way to proceed after the boss.

Thanks for the heads up on Human Fall Flat, was thinking of picking it up for some co-op over the Christmas but I have it on Xbox and from the sound of it its more suited to the controllers there given the Joycon issue.

Actually had the missus sitting on the couch over the weekend getting well stuck into Mario on the NES classic games library which is a first. Have Xbox and PS4 and she wouldn't so much as consider playing them. I'm thinking if I get a fun couch co-op game for the Christmas I might lure her into the wonderful world of gaming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

My Switch arrived yesterday. Its a nifty little machine, really surprised at the clarity of the screen for 720p.

No game as of yet so downloaded hollow knight to keep me going.

Debating whether to get a controller for Zelda or just stick with the joycons.

I have an Address Pal account but it never occurs to me to use it and I generally default to Parcel Motel. I messaged the Ebay seller last week to see if Address Pal would be acceptable but never got a reply, I don't think customer service is top of their agenda.

Yeah, definetly try it next time :D No need to ask a seller if they would accept AddressPal, to them its just another address.

Really enjoying the Switch so far though and I haven't even got Zelda or Mario yet. Think I'm gonna pick up Zelda before the weekend. I'm used to Xbox and PS4 games going on sale but I can't see that happening with Zelda anytime soon seeing as its been on sale a week ago on E Shop. Can get it for 55 digital and think that's about the best I'll get. I'm just depriving myself of an awesome experience by holding out. Have played a lot of Zelda games in the past and its definitely in my top 3 franchises across all consoles.

I actually never played Zelda games in the past, played a lot of Pókemon and Mario...etc but BOTW, is like The Witcher 3, Pokemon and Portal had a baby. I usually get lost in tips and tricks videos for games, but I feel like they are spoilers in Zelda. There's a certain combat move I figured out and that is a great feeling. Tips and Tricks are spoilers so avoid these.
    Playing Hollow Knight at the moment which I already had on Xbox but never played much. I think its more suited to the Switch and actually making some progress now although it can be frustrating at times. I'm used to games where you move onto the next level straight after a boss whereas in this I find myself wandering around the level for the bones of an hour exploring before I find a way to proceed after the boss.

Not usually a platformer kinda guy, but the idea of exploration I love. Along with the 99% Postive ratings on Steam, I'll add Hollow Knight to the Watch List for sure!
    Thanks for the heads up on Human Fall Flat, was thinking of picking it up for some co-op over the Christmas but I have it on Xbox and from the sound of it its more suited to the controllers there given the Joycon issue.

No problem. Whilst using the two joycons on splitscreen, the camera literally does its own thing, I was very dissapointed. I am waiting for my usb - xbox adapter, so I will test out the Joycons as One along with my Xbox controller on 2 player and let you know if it behaves itself then :pac: Because its such a fun game, as you know already.
    Actually had the missus sitting on the couch over the weekend getting well stuck into Mario on the NES classic games library which is a first. Have Xbox and PS4 and she wouldn't so much as consider playing them. I'm thinking if I get a fun couch co-op game for the Christmas I might lure her into the wonderful world of gaming :D

NES classics are a nice touch, worth the €20 for the year of online service / games. Haha I'm in the same boat with herself. Going to have her try Overcooked 2 with me soon... That's the ultimate couch co-op game. Although it may cause a few arguments :D

Try the Demo for Inversus, she may like that too. Anyone can pick it up, its like an old NES style game but perfect for couch co-op and very competitive.

My Switch arrived yesterday. Its a nifty little machine, really surprised at the clarity of the screen for 720p.

No game as of yet so downloaded hollow knight to keep me going.

Debating whether to get a controller for Zelda or just stick with the joycons.

Congrats! :D I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago. And then my Wallet took the ultimate hit as I browsed the eStore, every day... :cool:

Joycons for me are fine for Zelda. I mainly use the Joycons as One in the included controller grip. I have however ordered one of these to hook up an XBox controller for the likes of Mario Kart...etc Mario Kart on the small individual Joycons, don't do it. I mean you can try, but its just gross. Its fine when using both as one whole controller though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hollow Knight guy - I can't stress this enough : When you die, go back to where you died and pick up the money you dropped before you get killed again. Otherwise the first 10 minutes of the game can take hours and it's really offputting!
    YeHaha I'm in the same boat with herself. Going to have her try Overcooked 2 with me soon... That's the ultimate couch co-op game. Although it may cause a few arguments :D

For the love of god, if you value the relationship don't do this. On the one hand, if you get to the end of the week and neither of you are dead you know it's time to take/renew some vows. On the other hand, chances are you'll be stabbed to death or going to prison.

Overcooked demands there be one head chef, and that is incompatible with a romantic arrangement.

On the other hand, because there's something in the water you're drinking and now you have three, playing with your kids is great because you're in charge, you're better than them, screw you I'm getting the pro controller and if you want your own you can ask Santa for one, and if anyone drops that fish I just battered they're going straight to bed!
    Plus, if you start talking to your significant other about having kids before they bring it up (don't do this in the first week of going out, but after that it's fair game!) they know you're serious, it scores you serious commitment points and she never needs to know that you're driven solely by your couch co-op addiction.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Hollow Knight guy - I can't stress this enough : When you die, go back to where you died and pick up the money you dropped before you get killed again. Otherwise the first 10 minutes of the game can take hours and it's really offputting!

Have been doing that but last night I popped on for a quick 30 mins blast and lost 900 geo out of pure carelessness. Was making my way back to where I died and got killed again. Think it was the most I've had at any one time.

Never made it out of first level on Xbox but I'm in Fungal Wastes level at the moment so making some progress at least.

Are there any essential early game items I should be buyin? Already have the compass and gathering swarm. I find it less stressful when I can resurface and buy something useful once I've built up a bit of geo as I've nothing to lose when I die but most of items that seem useful right now are upwards of 1500 geo.

Great little game though. I have The Messenger on my radar too as I've heard good things about it.

Advertisement