Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

I'm very new to the switch, it's a present for my son and want to have everything right. How many wired controllers cam be used at the one time please? Some of the games I've bought are 2 player games and I'd like to have the controllers got but I'm not buying 2 wireless ones at €70 each 😉 the girl in smyths thought only one wired controller could be used

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can use the Joycons seperately so you'll have two controllers out of the box.

Thanks, but if I wanted to use the wired in ones could I use 2 of them do you know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tazwaz wrote: »
    Thanks, but if I wanted to use the wired in ones could I use 2 of them do you know please?

Should be able to but don't really see the point in buying two wired controllers. Exited young kids and wired Controllers and the switch could go flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

tazwaz wrote: »

I took a look online and the responses are mixed, but a few people tested it and said they could connect more than 1. This was only on forums like this though, I couldn't find any official confirmation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The wired controllers are pretty cheap in the likes of Smyths and Argos.
    Using the 2 usb ports on the dock they should work just fine.
    A usb hub might also work, of you have one around to test.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Balanadan wrote: »
    I picked up a grey Switch last weekend. It's quality, I think it's a brilliant console for adult gamers or people who may be bored of gaming. I know I'm mostly preaching to the converted here but there may be a few people reading who are considering buying the Switch.

Apart from a few Pro Evo sessions and GTA 5, I haven't really played games properly in over 10 years! A mate of mine bought a PS4 last year and never finds time to play it (I did too but sold mine!). We just never find time to sit down in front of a tv. A lot of us played Clash Royale on mobile and the lads who have PS4s got more gametime from Clash Royale than any PS4 game!

Rocket League is fantastic. Like Clash Royale, it's easy to pick up and play for 5 minutes but that can easily turn into an hour, it's competitive, it's frantic and just fun gameplay. Unlike Clash Royale, there's no drive for additional paid content and there's a level playing field, which makes it all the better. Obviously very different games though!

The Switch isn't a graphical powerhouse, but that doesn't matter. The graphics are still pretty good. Gameplay is the most important thing and there are some phenomenal games on it. There are games I played as a kid that are still enjoyable to this day because the gameplay was fun, like Streets of Rage!

The grey version looks like a tablet with a unique control interface. It looks acceptable for an adult to play it. I know some people will disagree, but I think some handhelds had an image problem.

The Switch taps into nostalgia for adult gamers, partly because of the use of cartridges (they're tiny!) and of course because of the fantastic Nintendo first party games like Mario and Donkey Kong. I weighed up getting physical cartridges against digital downloads and went for the physical because I'll trade in the likes of Super Mario Odyssey once I've completed it, or Rocket League if the online community moves on.

I'm hoping that by the time I get Mario Kart, which could be months and months from now, that there will still be decent numbers playing online!

Months later, I haven't played anything other than Rocket League! Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Thinking of switching or adding in my case.

Have a ps4 slim that I want trade in for a switch...any good deals going at the moment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One of my Joycons seems to have a casing that refuses to close flush.
    This wasn't dropped or opened and closed again, but up near the shoulder button, not too far from the screw, it is open a mm or so, very annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One of my Joycons seems to have a casing that refuses to close flush.
    This wasn't dropped or opened and closed again, but up near the shoulder button, not too far from the screw, it is open a mm or so, very annoying...
    you sure cidonalad didn't hop if off the wall in a fit of rage playing fortnite?
    I'd try open it and see if it's just a catch that is on the wrong side or something.

OSI wrote: »
    Hope it's not an expanding battery.

Is that a thing? (I mean in a general sense, not just the JoyCon.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is that a thing? (I mean in a general sense, not just the JoyCon.)

Yup, that's what happened to the exploding Samsung note phone. Faulty batteries expand then burst.

Bugger.

And he doesn't like Fortnight, he's a hardcore Destiny 2 player right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

damo86 wrote: »
    Thinking of switching or adding in my case.

Have a ps4 slim that I want trade in for a switch...any good deals going at the moment?

Wouldnt know of deals, but from my own experience, I would add rather than switch completely from PS4. I have an Xbox One and when I got the Switch thought I would never go back, then PUBG came out. PS4 has a lot of great exclusives that have me debating making an investment, but its hard to justify when I have the Xbox, Switch and gaming PC :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Sometimes i think i've spent more time buying games for my Nintendo Switch than actually playing them

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got this email overnight. Looks like the v6.0.0 update is on the 18th (next Tuesday)
    On 9/18, your Nintendo Switch will be receiving a system update, version 6.0.0. Afterwards, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user profile. Prior to this change, you should verify that your Nintendo Account or your child’s Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user profile.

For example, please confirm that the parent’s or legal guardian’s Nintendo Switch user profile is linked to the parent’s or guardian’s Nintendo Account, and that the child’s Nintendo Switch user profile is linked to his or her child account.

By ensuring that your Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user profile, you will be able to appropriately manage your save data, Nintendo Switch Online membership, and Nintendo eShop content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Does that mean no more region jumping for cheap deals then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Grassey wrote: »
    Does that mean no more region jumping for cheap deals then?

That was my first thought too...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I am wondering as well. What could be possible (and what I’m hoping for) is that it makes it harder to regularity switch between different accounts which are in different regions (EMEA, North America, Japan, ...), but that it is still possible to easily change the country of an account within a region (Ireland, South Africa, Russia) without affecting the online subscription.

Yeah maybe. I fear I will need a family account for all my regional profiles. I'll find out soon enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah maybe. I fear I will need a family account for all my regional profiles. I'll find out soon enough..

That's exactly what I'm thinking.
    I bought many games from many regions on the switch but my "main" account is american due to the fact I originally set it up when I was staying there. Then I made the grave mistake of adding cash to it on my 3DS instead of a direct buy game and now I have a $1.17 left that I cannot clear to zero to be allowed change. I'm worried that if I get the subscription with my main account that I'll not have online for my Irish and others.

Has there been any details of a family account?
    Is tonight's direct going to be very long? Surely they'll be explaining the online service and system update and new games or is it just games in a direct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Does Nintendo allow family groups with accounts in different countries/regions?
    If I was them I don’t think I would.

Edit: just googled it and they seem to allow it, but the more services they associate to it the more of an incentive they will have to lock the whole family to a specific location I think.

Tonight will be interesting.

@lafors - it's going to be 35 minutes long

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

From what I've read on other places, and I'm still not 100%, the users will be 'in the cloud' as such and not 'linked' to the console, technically. As far as I can make out it won't affect region switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Why do you need a family account? Thought when you bought a game, it can be played on the primary account

I dunno. I bought Splatoon 2 in South Africa (with an SA account) but my main Switch account is IE. Will I be able to play multiplayer with my IE account on a single €20 subscription?

I think once all the accounts are registered to the one system and within family group it should be fine.... I'm worried now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Not sure if mentioned already, but this is now coming up when you go to change regions. So be aware that if changing regions, any gold coins unused from the region you're changing from will be lost

rOqQNxHFn0dm8_XCdEMh0G88WtiF7SXFw9wSSgI_sZjIXG0H-dzlWgw79r7Fa5-NwrOQNyedL3B4SpQfyX4febKXFtVuIKFUlpd9jpki7ehT4H2CjhogQAS2yJDzFvPX2oh4SVw1E8Rcbi6k7YKEJgqnmYrcgxpj4I5IcSTn8Nn7X8iO712oM0NPH4_DwTm-oshNRzASWFZ-4uapjip-575aagJTumPm_dagBI0o1fHaSEcbZeL_SI4Zg5gd6k3Mt4IAR85T0fQzo8zr-oEemIeUpvYORuTsUkA2bBdqgEBDjxmr0CMPt_waVFddeUC86OmyYYNqCS98GcwsGN6GOHdMqq6Q1OQi7MtN9hHn1Losza6RMrr8qi0-8zl1oCzYadbLWUJasz-TwN00_Sw7PfT7DjNEnFr-z9G07pmvEuyN6hXwxdY3iUxni7msVO9pHHdbrUEGn9XzNww0c7OEETxS0620h7ta_vzyiR0SXq1viknxIm9I8CvmI64jZ8umV38f5TtB9BJM3dQtLZ3a10dD8pBN_zbxqEN1_Uhl-tIBiagbTmk-UiwISdwt3ugJGl0PLRz-dnaGx_6mwPR7xv-pvnGu8NtWEzTgJUqOhmIfXN4ufJUUlUXxEibJTns=w692-h288-no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't change region, but I do have 3 other accounts for US, SA, and RU - I can't imagine Nintendo would block online play for games purchased from these regions, if I'm playing it on my IE account which does have the online service. That said, Nintendo seem to have a massive monopoly on one step forward, two steps back.

I never bothered with all those multiple accounts, because I thought it was too much trouble. And you never know what Nintendo would do down the line.

So right now, watching you all panic, I'm just sitting here like:

hE7FEA15A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

manual_man wrote:
    Not sure if mentioned already, but this is now coming up when you go to change regions. So be aware that if changing regions, any gold coins unused from the region you're changing from will be lost

Now that's a pain in the hoop!

Advertisement