Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

What I would love to see, since they seems to be tying family accounts together more closely, is the concept of a shared library - It's ridiculous that both my son and I can't play the same digital games. I prefer to go digital as I don't like the carts, and there's games that I got before he got his Switch that he can't play, even though I've paid for the game (Zelda and Mario Kart 8 being the two major ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

chrislad wrote: »
    What I would love to see, since they seems to be tying family accounts together more closely, is the concept of a shared library - It's ridiculous that both my son and I can't play the same digital games. I prefer to go digital as I don't like the carts, and there's games that I got before he got his Switch that he can't play, even though I've paid for the game (Zelda and Mario Kart 8 being the two major ones)

Seems unlikely. Playing devils advocate. In your suggested scenario whats to stop a group of people getting a family sub and buying games once as a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

South Africa eshop is offering most value overall if anyone is worried changing region might become a problem in the future

magnumbud wrote: »
    Seems unlikely. Playing devils advocate. In your suggested scenario whats to stop a group of people getting a family sub and buying games once as a group?

Off the top of my head

1) A system where a token is attached to game. Token is released with game is uninstalled or user can pass to another member, at which point they can't use the game, unless it's uninstalled by the other user, or token passed back.

2) Online checks - Store last user, if user id matches, play the game, otherwise change user to current user, so the older user now has to do an online check. This is a bit messier than a token though, and there's a bit of synchronous communication that relies on both systems being online.

3) Library System - all games in the family library - all can be installed, and when a user isn't playing, he checks in back in, and another user can check it out.

4) Limit a family size, and stop being a dick about sharing digital games. Yes, there will be people who game the system, but for the most part, Sony and Microsoft have already solved this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I have to send another left joycon in to be fixed now as well. 3 sets in a row have this stupid issue where it always drifts to the left without any input from me. It's getting pretty tiresome at this stage.

Sent mine off 2 weeks ago for same issue, just got an email back saying it'll be £29 to repair - so ~€33. Fecking thing new is €45 (or €39 ea if a pair was bought!) :mad:

• Advertisement

• 2019 is going to some year for the Switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

manual_man wrote: »
    South Africa eshop is offering most value overall if anyone is worried changing region might become a problem in the future

I find the Norwegian one can be cheaper at times, usually go between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Xenji wrote: »
    I find the Norwegian one can be cheaper at times, usually go between the two.

Yeah the Russian one as well.

I haven’t checked recently but in my past experience South Africa is clearly cheaper for Nintendo games while usually either Russia or Norway are the cheapest options for other games.

(The advantage of South Africa is that the UI of the eshop is in English, but I can manage with Russian to save a few euros :-D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone have the issue with the joycon not physically staying connected onto the screen and slipping off from time to time? If I report to Nintendo do I need proof of purchase and will it be a chargeable fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

sweetie wrote: »
    Anyone have the issue with the joycon not physically staying connected onto the screen and slipping off from time to time? If I report to Nintendo do I need proof of purchase and will it be a chargeable fix?

I've had that happen a couple of times. I didn't send in proof of purchase with my joycon so they asked for over €30 to fix it. So I'm certain they'll charge you something.

• Advertisement

9 months old console and I haven’t had such issue. But if the console is still under warranty and there is no mark of damage made by you which would cause the issue, I don’t see why they would charge you to fix it (not sure what their policy is with regards to warranty but I assume the will require a receipt showing the purchase date).

My son did (The left one, I believe) - they fixed it under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YP7kZezcqoY9V1xn6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pra7viX2Pho5HSMC7

Decided to 3d print myself a little stand for the switch.
    Loads of cool 3d prints can be made. There's a mini arcade cabinet I'd like to do, maybe my next project or these controller grips. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2769344

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was looking through the games folder on my PC to see which of my favourite games from the last few years are left to port to the switch. Most have made it (or have been announced), but there are a few left.

Out of the ones that are left, I think I'd like to see FTL, Move or Die, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rogue Legacy, Seraph and Spelunky.

What else is missing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Def Jam : Fight for New York.
    I haven't thrown Snoop Dogg out a window to his death in what seems like forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ori is a Microsoft published game, isn't it?
    you're a fan of rogue-likes/lites? So it's all your fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

MkSouGV.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    MkSouGV.jpg

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The cone of shame is rightfully deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ori is a Microsoft published game, isn't it?
    you're a fan of rogue-likes/lites? So it's all your fault!

Yup it is and a sequel is out early next year. One of my favourite games of this generation !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mr E wrote: »
    I was looking through the games folder on my PC to see which of my favourite games from the last few years are left to port to the switch. Most have made it (or have been announced), but there are a few left.

Out of the ones that are left, I think I'd like to see FTL, Move or Die, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rogue Legacy, Seraph and Spelunky.

What else is missing? :)

FTL on the Switch would be great. I was horribly addicted to it at one point. Got to the Final Boss loads of times but I don't think I ever actually finished it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Alright, finally got myself a switch. Civ VI got me fully converted.

My to-buy list:
    Civ VI
    Mario Odyssey
    Fast Racing Neo
    Crash Trilogy
    Rocket League
    Cities: Ckylines
    Team Sonic Racing
    MK 8
    Mega Drive Classics

Anything else to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Breath of the Wild is probably the best game of all time so maybe get that...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

From Nintendo's side - Splatoon 2, ARMS.

Sonic Mania
    Stardew Valley
    Steamworld Dig 2
    Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
    Hollow Knight
    Into the Breach
    Golf Story

are some more that fit the platform well.

I'd take fast racing neo off the list. It's good but there's no one online and the AI is cheating, rubberbanding nonsense!

Wii U ports are well worth looking into as well if you didn't own that console. I haven't played Celseste or Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle but they're supposed to be very good too.

My to-buy list:
    Civ VI
    Mario Odyssey
    Fast Racing Neo
    Crash Trilogy
    Rocket League
    Team Sonic Racing
    MK 8
    Mega Drive Classics

I really liked Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (and since it’s an exclusive on the Switch and you have the console, might be worth a try :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My to-buy list:
    Civ VI
    Mario Odyssey
    Fast Racing Neo
    Crash Trilogy
    Rocket League
    Team Sonic Racing
    MK 8
    Mega Drive Classics

Hollow Knight and Octopath Traveller

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

keane2097 wrote: »
    Breath of the Wild is probably the best game of all time so maybe get that...

Finished it on Wii U emulator so no intention of getting it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

My to-buy list:
    Civ VI
    Mario Odyssey
    Fast Racing Neo
    Crash Trilogy
    Rocket League
    Team Sonic Racing
    MK 8
    Mega Drive Classics

I'm with the others - Hollow Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Captain toad is a great one, I'm not sure how much they added to the Wii u version though, it always seemed too expensive for what it was, despite my loving it in the 3dworld taster levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hi everyone I have 2 near 13 hour flights ahead of me.

Any ideas of games I could play on the plane?.

Have about 50 euros to waste. And have about 150GB free on my sd card so no issues with digital games

Advertisement