Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I used DPD Parcel Wizard, they post it out for 3.85 eur, or deliver to one of their collection points.

Cheers. I haven't got an account with DPD so tried AddressPal, hopefully no problems now :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Switch arrived. Plenty of updating. Initial impressions are: oddessy is awesome, as expected. Crash looks suprinsgly good but the controller latency is a bummer. Cities skylines is a bit fiddly but will get used to it. Haven't touched anything else yet

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There goes the weekend. Congrats. :)

Don't forget to put your friend code in the sticky thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Not sure if this is the right place to post but can you get YouTube and Netflix on the switch, my Young fella wants one for Xmas but he loves YouTube and Netflix and currently has a ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but can you get YouTube and Netflix on the switch, my Young fella wants one for Xmas but he loves YouTube and Netflix and currently has a ps3

No it doesn't have you tube or nextflix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

Wasn't Netflix in the works at some point?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Wasn't Netflix in the works at some point?

Nintendo fans got on to them about it. They said Netflix may be added at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Longing

Nintendo switch will be my first Nintendo product this Christmas since the Snes days. (Giving away my age Lol) I cant wait, Also picking up Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Bros and Diablo 3.

It was pure agony lurking in here and reading to all the good aspects of the Switch and gaming quality it has to offer.

Longing wrote: »
    Nintendo switch will be my first Nintendo product this Christmas since the Snes days. (Giving away my age Lol) I cant wait, Also picking up Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Bros and Diablo 3.

It was pure agony lurking in here and reading to all the good aspects of the Switch and gaming quality it has to offer.

If you like Mario I would recommend Mario Odyssey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That Namco Museum Arcade Pac seems very expensive for what it is.
    Or am I missing something?
    €39.99, is it cheaper elsewhere?
    I have most of the elements of the title across my collection, from Pacman Vs on the GC to the complete Namco Museum set on the PS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was tempted to get Valkyria Chronicles 4 today, but it's very pricy on Switch.

€49.99 on Xbox and PS4.
    €64.99 on Switch in Argos, €69.99 in Gamestop.
    It's €49.99 digitally.

I know cartridges are more expensive to produce, but it's hard not to have a bad taste in your mouth from it. I think I'll wait for a digital discount or a special offer on one of the UK sites in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr E wrote:
    I know cartridges are more expensive to produce, but it's hard not to have a bad taste in your mouth from it. I think I'll wait for a digital discount or a special offer on one of the UK sites in a few months.

Pretty sure FIFA on Switch is cheaper than other systems so it's not just cartridges. Like Divinity 2 it'll drop price on the other systems quick as few will buy it this time of the year maybe it might affect the switch prices too.
    Could be worse I bought Fire Pro Wrestling World yesterday for 45 quid as it was 90 on PSN as it's unavailable without the season pass :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Watching the Ryder Cup all weekend, I've been regretting the fact the Switch doesn't have a proper golf game yet.

I'd love a new Mario Golf soon. The one on the Gamecube was great craic and I don't think there's been a full console version since.

Also a Ryder Cup mode of Mario & friends against Bowser & friends would be sensational!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Watching the Ryder Cup all weekend, I've been regretting the fact the Switch doesn't have a proper golf game yet.

I'd love a new Mario Golf soon. The one on the Gamecube was great craic and I don't think there's been a full console version since.

Also a Ryder Cup mode of Mario & friends against Bowser & friends would be sensational!

Time to dig out the old Wii sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

I just turned my Switch on today for the first time in months. Sadly, I think I'm going to package it up and try sell it.
    There are just not enough decent games on it and I'm sicking of filtering through 30 year old games in the eshop trying to figure out what's actually a proper new release.

I'm done with Mariokart, Marioworld, Fifa, Sonic etc and don't see anything coming soon that's worthwhile? (I have a PS4 too by the way). Does anyone else who has another console feel this way? I really wanted to love it and I did at first but the games are just not coming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I just turned my Switch on today for the first time in months. Sadly, I think I'm going to package it up and try sell it.
    There are just not enough decent games on it and I'm sicking of filtering through 30 year old games in the eshop trying to figure out what's actually a proper new release.

I'm done with Mariokart, Marioworld, Fifa, Sonic etc and don't see anything coming soon that's worthwhile? (I have a PS4 too by the way). Does anyone else who has another console feel this way? I really wanted to love it and I did at first but the games are just not coming :(

Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveller, Odyssey and BOTW are all excellent and you haven't mentioned them so maybe you haven't tried them?

There's also Dark Souls, Smash and Pokémon coming shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well you'll have no problem selling it if you price it sensibly, good luck with the sale.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Not really. For a console a little over a year and a half old it has an exceptional library of games already. PC and switch is the perfect combo for my taste in games so I'm enjoying the Switch a lot, but if there's nothing of interest to you on it ya might as well move it on.

If you have some physical games too I think you will easily recoup the majority of your money spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I disagree completely. It simply could be that you don't want to play the type of games the Switch has to offer. If you want the likes of Assassins Creed, Red Dead, Shadow of Mordor, then yeah, it's not the console to get. Personally, I want those games too, but I simply just don't have the time to commit to them. I'm about 20% into AC: Orgins for the past 12 months! :)

For me, I have played/am playing: Axiom Verge, Bastion, Bayonetta 1 + 2, Dead Cells, Enter The Gungeon, Final Fantasy XV PE, Fortnite, Hollow Knight, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Mega Man Collections 1 + 2, Octopath Traveller, Okami, Owlboy, Resident Evil Revelations 1 + 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Steamworld Dig 1 and 2, Legend of Zelda, Undertale.

I'm also looking forward to Diablo 3, the FF games (VII, IX, X, and XII) next year, maybe Dark Souls, probably Mario Party, maybe Civ 6, Smash Bros., Firewatch, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, New Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Yoshi, Luigis Mansion.

There's probably more I've missed, and more I'm looking forward to, but it's definitely been a console that's not short on games. While they may not appeal to you, or you may have played them elsewhere already, not everyone has, and the pick up and play nature of the console is what makes it most convenient for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Honestly I was 50-50 to buy a switch but the thoughts of civ vi on it just made my mouth drool. I must have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Honestly I was 50-50 to buy a switch but the thoughts of civ vi on it just made my mouth drool. I must have it.

I want to try that & football manager this year but I fear Civ will run like sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm the same. Very rarely play it, most of my gaming is on PS4 and i've an Xbox and allright gaming PC too. I loved odyssey and BOTW but after that there is very little to recommend on the Switch (IMO of course). Almost every other game is a rogue like and they don't appeal to me at all. Just finished Spiderman on PS4 and loved it, Fifa 19/PES 19 now taking up most of my time and with RDR2 and FH4 on the way i can't see the switch being turned on until Christmas for a few MK sessions.

That being said the switch comes into its on when flying or on long journeys but i don't have enough of those where i get the benefit of it. I won't sell it but i do kind of regret buying it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

Jjjjjjjbarry said he wants new releases, why are you all suggesting old games?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Even the new releases are old games so it gets hard to keep them all straight in your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

2019 is going to be a huge year for the switch for sure, if you don't need the money i'd sit tight for another 8 months and at least see what's coming.

First party alone you got NSMBU (i know its a port), yoshi, fire emblem, Town, Luigi's mansion 3, new pokemon, animal crossing, daemon xmachina and probably metroid prime 4. If even a few of them appeal to you i'd hang on.

Plus the switch has been out long enough to prove successful and i would not be surprised to see some major third party games next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

How is fortnight playing on the switch, ive heard some stories of poor graphics and stuttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Phil.x wrote: »
    How is fortnight playing on the switch, ive heard some stories of poor graphics and stuttering.

I played it last week before the new Battle Pass and the performance was awful. Framerate seemed like it was in the low 20s. Visually it was fine. It's been patched since then, apparently with some improvements(Epic have usually been good with improving performance over time) but I haven't played it on the Switch since then.

I played it last week before the new Battle Pass and the performance was awful. Framerate seemed like it was in the low 20s. Visually it was fine. It's been patched since then, apparently with some improvements(Epic have usually been good with improving performance over time) but I haven't played it on the Switch since then.

I've only ever played it on the Switch, so I don't have a comparison, but I never had any real problems. Some pop in last season, but that seems to have been resolved. No real slow down or glitches to speak of. Bar my son calling everyone a try hard or a hacker. :rolleyes:

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Jjjjjjjbarry said he wants new releases, why are you all suggesting old games?
    I'm also looking forward to Diablo 3, the FF games (VII, IX, X, and XII) next year, maybe Dark Souls, probably Mario Party, maybe Civ 6, Smash Bros., Firewatch, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, New Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Yoshi, Luigis Mansion.

All new, all AAA, all within the next 1-15 months (probably, just Metroid and Bayonetta, but be shocked to see those slipping into 2020)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My fear is that as its a hand held unit playing ps4, xbox level games it will struggle, im asking as my kid is looking for one off santa. I dont want a ps4 as theres rumours of a replacement late 2019.

Advertisement