Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Too wet to mow the grass here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'll just quote your own sentence back at you here ;)

Having to deploy the winky smiley immediately makes me a take a post less seriously.

Oh and I'm not just relying on stats re: summer 2006. I lived through it. And 1995, both as someone who was old enough to remember them both. 2006 had a nice spell of weather that I thoroughly enjoyed. It lasted two weeks. My summer antics in 1995 lasted two months. Two whole months and actually a bit of Indian summer in September 1995 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Murrisk wrote: »
    Having to deploy the winky smiley immediately makes me a take a post less seriously.

Oh and I'm not just relying on stats re: summer 2006. I lived through it. And 1995, both as someone who was old enough to remember them both. 2006 had a nice spell of weather that I thoroughly enjoyed. It lasted two weeks. My summer antics in 1995 lasted two months. Two whole months and actually a bit of Indian summer in September 1995 too.

That's nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Well, you've accepted my account of the two summers, that's good. No summer since 1995 has come close to matching it. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not really, I have not accepted that you're right at all. I'm just not saying anything further so this conversation will end and also, it is hard to come through to you EVEN WHEN I KNOW WHAT SUMMER 2006 WAS LIKE FROM EXPERIENCE. So yes, conversation ended.

Adult discussion here Syran,

And I'd challenge your assertion that you know what 2006 was like, nobody remembers the weather when they were 5 ffs.

This is coming from a completely unbiased perspective, I have absolutely no recollection of 2006 (I hardly remember 2013!) nor do I really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some nice sunshine today after three consecutive very dull days here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

long spells of sunshine this evening in Castlebar as the cloud continues to disperse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

long spells of sunshine this evening in Castlebar as the cloud continues to disperse

Same here beautiful evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Same here beautiful evening.

And in east galway

Been a great run tbh
    The garden enjoyed the bit of rain Friday evening and then back to sun

It's usually rain , bit of sun and back to rain !

Loving it

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Turned out to be a mostly sunny evening for my location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beautiful sunny evening here in West Clare since around 5pm. Currently 11:10 here now and it's amazingly bright out still.

One of the best qualities (and there's not many) of an Irish summer is how bright it is late into the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Grange's Spring 2017 summary

Mild, dry and sunny.

Rainfall: Driest Spring since 2011.
    I recorded a rainfall total of 124.6mm during Spring 2017 which was 87% of the average. This meant that it was my driest Spring since 2011. March was wet however with 69.0mm (157% of the average) whilst May was close to average with 48.4mm (93% of the average) and April was extremely dry with only 7.2mm (15% of the average). March was my wettest since 2008, April was my second driest on record and driest since 2007 whilst May was my driest since 2008. I recorded my wettest day on May 27th with 29.7mm on this day, my wettest Spring & May day since 2015. My previous wettest day was 24.1mm on March 22nd which was my wettest March day on record. Apart from May 1st-10th, there weren't any notable long dry spells during Spring 2017 even in April where the odd day just had drizzle which made any possible dry spells temporary and limited. Nothing much to say about rainfall for Spring other than that. A very forgettable season for rainfall overall.

Temperature: Mildest Spring since 2011.
    I recorded a mean temperature of 9.7c for Spring 2017 which was +0.6c above the average. This made Spring 2017 my warmest Spring since 2011. March had a mean of 8.2c which was +0.7c above the average and my warmest March since 2012. April had a mean of 8.5c which was bang on my April average and wasn't that much warmer than March as you can see. May had a mean of 12.6c which was +1.3c above the average and was my warmest May since 2008. My maximum temperature of 18.1c on March 29th was my warmest March day since 2012 and was one of my warmest on record. My maximum temperature of 18.6c on April 8th was my warmest April day since 2015. My maximum temperature of 25.4c on May 26th was my second warmest May day on record and since 2010. My maximum of 24.2c on the previous day, May 25th, was my third warmest May day on record. Unusually, I recorded my minimum temperature for Spring on April 26th with -1.7c but was still my highest Spring minimum temperature since 2014. March recorded a minimum of -1.5c on the 25th and May recorded a minimum of -1.1c on the 10th. My minimum of 10.8c on March 30th was my warmest March night on record. April unusually did not beat this high minimum. I also broke my warmest May night on record on the 24th with a minimum of 14.1c. I recorded 8 days with 20c or more, all in May which was above the average for Spring of just 3 or 4. Quite an interesting Spring temperature wise and a very strange one at that.

Sunshine: Sunniest Spring since 2010.
    I recorded a sunshine total of 490 hours (107% of the average) which meant it was my sunniest Spring since 2010. Sunshine was very unevenly distributed through Spring 2017 with March and May both being very sunny months. March was my sunniest since 2010 (with 135 hours) and May was my second sunniest on record (with 243 hours). April meanwhile was my third dullest on record (with only 112 hours). Only April 1991 & 1992 were duller. I had my sunniest start to May on record with a total of 123 hours from the 1st-11th. I had my sunniest day for Spring on May 10th with 14.5 hours, my sunniest Spring day since 2010. This was a very forgettable Spring for sunshine despite April being my third dullest on record and May being my second sunniest on record.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Some of the trees on the east coast line didn't survive the late cool blasts.
    Young tree leaves burnt all along the DART line/seaboard.

Advertisement