Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Derry airport reporting 27c, that's very hot for those parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Raining now in Castlebar, although the temperature has now risen to 23.4C, humidity is also creeping up to 90%, very oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extremely humid here in castlebar now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Hooter23

If this is the kind of weather they get in summer in most other countries they can keep it...our normal 18-22 degrees we get in summer is much better than this torture :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hooter23 wrote: »
    If this is the kind of weather they get in summer in most other countries they can keep it...our normal 18-22 degrees we get in summer is much better than this torture :pac:

I don't mind the very warm days just as long as the humidity is not there, also mixed with reasonably cool or mild (not oppressively warm) nights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

loving this weather, 25C here today. To the people thinking that this weather is torture or way too oppressive, this is like an easterly cold snap compared to hot days they get in many European countries. Several days of 36C+ with no wind is a very different experience and most of Europe regularly gets that in the summer!

I've been experience insane humidity by day and night in London and what we get here pales in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

So Irish.. we have a few days of just WARM weather and people are complaining about how horrible it is and that they can't sleep at night. Don't worry, we will back back to gloomy grey misery before long.

Gonzo wrote: »
    loving this weather, 25C here today. To the people thinking that this weather is torture or way too oppressive, this is like an easterly cold snap compared to hot days they get in many European countries. Several days of 36C+ with no wind is a very different experience and most of Europe regularly gets that in the summer!

I've been experience insane humidity by day and night in London and what we get here pales in comparison.

It's not the temperatures that are the problem for me, it's the humidity and the humidity (without breeze I might add) earlier was just too unbearable for me. Luckily, now the humidity has gone down somewhat and there is a nice breeze along with it.

I remember July 2006, one of my favourite months, and it had low humidity yet temperatures frequently hitting 25c or more during the days. That is what I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The humidity is lovely :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

To the people thinking that this weather is torture or way too oppressive, this is like an easterly cold snap compared to hot days they get in many European countries. Several days of 36C+ with no wind is a very different experience and most of Europe regularly gets that in the summer!
    I disagree, for some reason I find 36C in Spain easier to handle than 28C in this country.

• Advertisement

I disagree, for some reason I find 36C in Spain easier to handle than 28C in this country.

I find them equal, just the humidity is my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

It doesn't really matter what happens in other countries, the inhabitants there are acclimatised to it. And many people don't really like hot weather and don't complain when it switches back to cooler conditions.

The heat today is much different from yesterday. Yesterday had a lovely breeze, today was much more oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Murrisk wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what happens in other countries, the inhabitants there are acclimatised to it. And many people don't really like hot weather and don't complain when it switches back to cooler conditions.

The heat today is much different from yesterday. Yesterday had a lovely breeze, today was much more oppressive.

Where in the country are you? I'm over 40km from the east coast and there was a breeze all day. Dublin Airport was reporting gusts to 50 kmph during the afternoon

highdef wrote: »
    Where in the country are you? I'm over 40km from the east coast and there was a breeze all day. Dublin Airport was reporting gusts to 50 kmph during the afternoon

I'm in Dublin, very little breeze where I was. Do you think people are making it up when they say that they found it oppressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm in Dublin, very little breeze where I was. Do you think people are making it up when they say that they found it oppressive?
    Of course not. I guess everyone feels eat and cold differently. You are just sensitive to a bit of warmth and I'm not. What I consider cold, you could very well call mild. We're all different

Though a band of rain will cross the country early Tuesday, Met Éireann is not seeing a poor spell of weather by any means as we go into early June:
    Outlook for second half of next week: Fresh weather with a mixture of sunny intervals and passing showers. Temperatures typically in the mid-teens and in places into the high teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I know this is a weather forum.
    But I've been watching the worldview satellite pictures from NASA for the last while and Meteorite has a little bit of in his pic above.
    So I'd thought I'd ask maybe here.
    You see those blue green patches on the pictures are those Blue Green Algae ( Cyanobacteria ).
    They don't look like sand banks. But maybe they are.
    I was just thinking with the warm weather and no real storms in the last while that it could possibly be Cyanobacteria.
    Anyway anyone hazard a guess??

screenshot_1.png

Edit: It's not the end of the world if I don't get an answer.
    I just said i'd chance it.:D :pac:

Sorry to clog up the thread with this but just to answer my own question.
    I posted the answer to this in the After Hours forum in the "I bet you didn't know that" thread.
    Here's a link to that post.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103634499&postcount=1692

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd love you to tell.me anywhere in Europe that regularly gets 36c and no wind for days on end. It does happen, and may happen annually, but it is rare.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd love you to tell.me anywhere in Europe that regularly gets 36c and no wind for days on end. It does happen, and may happen annually, but it is rare.

Southern inland Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Syran could you check something out for me please. With all the talk of slane today one of my favourite concert memories is REM and oasis on July 22 1995. I remember it as a glorious hot day can you confirm for me please?

• Advertisement

Southern inland Spain.

Oh yes, I did not realise that they had 36c as an average daily maximum. See here JCX BXC as an example of a place: (Córdoba)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B3rdoba,_Spain#Climate

Syran could you check something out for me please. With all the talk of slane today one of my favourite concert memories is REM and oasis on July 22 1995. I remember it as a glorious hot day can you confirm for me please?

It wasn't a "hot day" but it was a pleasant day. The air stream was westerly which gradually turned more to a southwesterly direction. It was a fine dry day in most places with the south and east having a good amount of sunshine from 6-10 hours of sunshine. Temperatures were in the 16-20c range. It's July after all however, so the sunshine or high UV levels would make it feel much warmer than what it actually was. Also, July 1995 was a very warm month - so that's what else could be messing with your memory. But anyway, it was a glorious day but not hot by any means.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Max temp that day at Dublin Airport was 20c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Thanks guys that whole summer was glorious iirc and have great if somewhat grainy memories of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was lashing rain here earlier, more drizzly now, im not far from slane, so it could get pretty mucky there today if it keeps up

Finally lashing here now! I am loving it. Haven't had rainfall as heavy as this since March 22nd.

Thanks guys that whole summer was glorious iirc and have great if somewhat grainy memories of it

It was. It's only competitor for best summer in recent times, according to the majority of people, is 1976. The summer started off very cool and dull in early June however, so Summer 2017 could turn out like Summer 1995.... YA NEVER KNOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

My garden is loving this. :)

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

My garden is loving this. :)

Same here, great day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Absolutely bucketing down here now

Advertisement