Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Source?

Dont you be worrying about warm temps and sunshine, it'll still be wet, cloudy and cold down your area ;)

As for here today, its been a showery afternoon, mild though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I report it as I find it myself. Totday is showery and breezy about 15 degrees falling in showers. I'll report the good weather here if it comes its just I've a different definition on good weather than others on here. I've got personal abuse over that which the mods are aware of for not towing the party line on some threads but I love this forum and will contribute until told otherwise.ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

dry bright afternoon here in Castlebar with a nice fresh westerly breeze.great visibility

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely day in West Clare after the showers cleared. We've really been blessed with little rainfall over the past few months. Suppose there's always another way to look at things though :)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Lovely day in West Clare after the showers cleared. We've really been blessed with little rainfall over the past few months. Suppose there's always another way to look at things though :)

That there is. Pity that courtesy doesn't extend to the winter threads though......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

Every single shower went north or south of me again
    Glorious day in East Galway and next week looks even better

Very promising forecast there for the middle of the week, a blocking high no less with sun and temps of 23 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Very promising forecast there for the middle of the week, a blocking high no less with sun and temps of 23 degrees

Just beware anticiclonic gloom, a feature that has spoiled many a May anticyclone with persistent low cloud and sea fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There's pretty much no sign of any warm spell this week now. The high doesn't get to establish itself and erodes quickly to be replaced by westerlies.

Another wet dull morning here temps 14 degrees.

• Advertisement

Another wet dull morning here temps 14 degrees.

Another?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull, wet and humid morning in Castlebar, 94% humidity with 6.4mm of rain so far, although the rain is very welcome for the garden.

Looks like its about to rain here now, glad i got my cycle in early

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bucketing down here in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS 12z is showing low pressure dominating as we go into June from Saturday onwards but no other model is showing this, TYPICAL GFS when dry spells like this one coming take place. The BBC even says that there will be thunderstorms after the big warmth this weekend in the UK but they say that high pressure will be the dominating feature again after they take place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy in Kerry this evening, cloud has increased with that cold front nudging up against the coast but staying dry for now. Amounts of rain set to remain light overnight and into tomorrow with patchy rain and drizzle, looks like a low cloud day on the Western side of the country with areas around the mountains getting the most rain. Hopefully will start to clear from the W in the afternoon.

hb4kXRy.jpg?1

hFG8NdI.png?1

ES2oCnW.png?1

WOmGA2U.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Beautiful evening here in castlebar, long spells of sunshine in calm conditions. You can see mayo sticking out nicely on the latest satellite

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Coming into the reliable time frame now and some areas looking very warm indeed. Cloud will be a factor in places though. Possible rain in western areas on Fri. Models not in agreement yet with the weekend, GFS has a LP moving up the SW coast and showing heavy rain Sat but this is uncertain yet .

wW2cemp.png

p1mv9Nt.png

b6zcjdG.png

MDLRFJk.png

Some temp expected for Thurs night / Fri morning and humid too !

3pSUvgF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

12 degress along the west mayo coast on friday? 25 inland, hilarious.Think ill leave my shorts in the suitcase for Barcelona.

i see RTE are blathering away about a mini heatwave.

Looks like that trough / cold front could be encroaching on Western coasts on Fri unfortunately .

20170521.2355.PPVO89.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

why is it so difficult to sustain these type of high temperatures in ireland, i always notice once the 850 plus 10 or plus 15 isotherm finally encroaches over ireland its being swept away eastwards very quickly.

Persistent drizzle here in West Clare since 6:30, lovely evening for the last fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Praying for a decent weekend, as long as it stays dry i'll be happy. Need to lay a patio :D

why is it so difficult to sustain these type of high temperatures in ireland, i always notice once the 850 plus 10 or plus 15 isotherm finally encroaches over ireland its being swept away eastwards very quickly.

Our location and how much water surrounds Ireland is the reason why it's so difficult to sustain high temperatures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yet the heat builds and builds over the UK for several days more while most of Ireland is 15C and drizzle. Very annoying, we've seen it so many times before. Still up in the air tho what happens from Friday onwards.

Gonzo wrote: »
    yet the heat builds and builds over the UK for several days more while most of Ireland is 15C and drizzle. Very annoying, we've seen it so many times before. Still up in the air tho what happens from Friday onwards.

Ireland is closer to the Atlantic than the UK thus we are more prone to getting depressions and cooler temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

It's hard to keep that cold air from Greenland at bay.
    Plus the old adage of High Pressure loves land and Low Pressure loves water.
    You always mostly get a low in the Atlantic to steer some of that cold air our way.

Still not bad looking for Friday for 850 temperatures.
    Getting some hot air steered up over us.

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

Plus the Thunderstorm potential there Friday morning.:D
    screenshot_1.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking very good for us, particularly the East which should just about hang on to the heat over the weekend and a reload of warmth and high pressure for most of next week across the country. Has potential to last all the way to Saturday week.

Provisional Spring 2017 statistics for Grange (up to 22nd May)

Rainfall: 93.0mm (65% of the LTA)
    Mean temperature: 9.4c (+0.3c above the LTA)
    Sunshine: 433 hours (94% of the LTA)

It has been a relatively dull, mild and very dry Spring so far here. It has only been dull due to my extremely dull April. March and May have been very sunny months. See why now I was complaining about the dull weather in April? In my opinion, it has been the best Spring since 2011.

What do you think of Spring 2017?

• Advertisement

really good Spring here too!

Infact the past 6 months has been mostly incredibly dry, apart from February which from memory was very wet and miserable.

edit: now that I think of it, the past 9/10 months has been very decent with only minor interruptions with rain. There was a very wet weekend around mid September, then a very dry autumn, rain in February and then the unsettled conditions last week. I know I'm leaving some stuff off that I can't remember but compared to most year's the past 12 months has been very kind to us.

Advertisement