Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

This question might stump ye all.

Are sea temperatures warmer than normal for the time of year?

I was just looking at the Met Eireann buoy reports and they are up to 13 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    This question might stump ye all.

Are sea temperatures warmer than normal for the time of year?

I was just looking at the Met Eireann buoy reports and they are up to 13 degrees.

High side of normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    really good Spring here too!

Infact the past 6 months has been mostly incredibly dry, apart from February which from memory was very wet and miserable.

edit: now that I think of it, the past 9/10 months has been very decent with only minor interruptions with rain. There was a very wet weekend around mid September, then a very dry autumn, rain in February and then the unsettled conditions last week. I know I'm leaving some stuff off that I can't remember but compared to most year's the past 12 months has been very kind to us.

Glad to see somebody agrees with me in saying it has been a good Spring.

By middle of September, do you not mean the 3rd/4th September? Well actually, the 24th/25th was quite wet in places too.

Here's what the past 12 months have been like, to remind you:

May 2016: Very sunny, warm and rather dry. Sunniest and warmest May since 2008. Before this May, we had quite a run of non-remarkably warm and or cool Mays from 2009-2015 (2009 had quite a warm end though).

June 2016: Very warm or muggy with wet and dull conditions persisting after a fine start. People tend to have mixed opinions on this month. If I'm honest, I don't like this month whatsoever, the very warm/muggy nature mixed with the wet and dull conditions was not pleasant at all.

July 2016: Rather warm, dry and dull. Some south and eastern parts had a very dry but dull July. I have mixed feelings on July because though it was warm, the dull conditions really offset the pleasant warmth of the month for me.

August 2016: Rather dry, dull in most places and warm. It was the best August since 2010 in my opinion in terms of overall conditions, whilst for warmth, since 2003.

September 2016: Very warm, dull and rather wet. It was the dullest September on record in places including Cork Airport (which recorded only 61 hours of sunshine during September) continuing on from the high humidity, warm conditions that was evident from the Summer - which brought all that cloud across the country. I don't like this September for similar reasons as those mentioned for June.

October 2016: Very dry and anticyclonic. Variable sunshine and rather mild. A very quiet month that was pretty uneventful but it was gloriously dry across the country. It was the driest October for many years and the IMRP (Irish Mean Rainfall Percentage) for October was only 47% of the average.

November 2016: Exceptionally sunny, cold and dry. Sunniest November on record for Ireland. Coldest since 2010. No really low temperatures during November 2016 but the cold was persistent during much of the month. I absolutely loved November 2016 and honestly, my second favourite November after 2010. It was the driest November since 2007. For how awful November 2015 was, I think it was worth it because of November 2016.

December 2016: A very quiet month with mild and dry conditions. Sunshine was rather high but not exceptionally so with the exception of Shannon Airport which had its sunniest December on record according to Met Éireann. I did hate December for how mild YET dry it was but once you don't consider it being Winter, I thought it was a lovely month.

January 2017: Dry, mild and rather sunny in places. Another very quiet month and my opinion is the same to that of December in that I did hate it for how dry and mild it was considering it is a Winter month after all but once you don't consider it, it was a lovely month.

February 2017: Very dull, mild and relatively wet. Ugh.... this month. This sorry excuse of a month. Yeah if you could not guess there, I utterly despise this abysmal month. It felt like drizzle on end with persistent dull skies from the middle to the end of February. It was that terrible. My one day I enjoyed from this month was Storm Doris as I loved the wind blowing me in the very heavy rain when I was in Dublin City with my friends.

March 2017: Very mild, wet and sunny. I have mixed opinions on this month. It had its very miserable moments like those of February but it did have its equal share of lovely, beautiful moments too. I think March 2017 is the ideal month as a result.

April 2017: Extremely dry, dull and rather mild. I don't like April for how dull it was. Despite it being a gloriously dry month, the dull conditions ruined it for me.

And May 2017 has been quite similar to May 2016 in that it has been a very sunny, warm and dry month. I love it as a result.

I just had to give my opinions on each month too :D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Glad to see somebody agrees with me in saying it has been a good Spring.

By middle of September, do you not mean the 3rd/4th September? Well actually, the 24th/25th was quite wet in places too.

Here's what the past 12 months have been like, to remind you:

May 2016: Very sunny, warm and rather dry. Sunniest and warmest May since 2008. Before this May, we had quite a run of non-remarkably warm and or cool Mays from 2009-2015 (2009 had quite a warm end though).

June 2016: Very warm or muggy with wet and dull conditions persisting after a fine start. People tend to have mixed opinions on this month. If I'm honest, I don't like this month whatsoever, the very warm/muggy nature mixed with the wet and dull conditions was not pleasant at all.

July 2016: Rather warm, dry and dull. Some south and eastern parts had a very dry but dull July. I have mixed feelings on July because though it was warm, the dull conditions really offset the pleasant warmth of the month for me.

August 2016: Rather dry, dull in most places and warm. It was the best August since 2010 in my opinion in terms of overall conditions, whilst for warmth, since 2003.

September 2016: Very warm, dull and rather wet. It was the dullest September on record in places including Cork Airport (which recorded only 61 hours of sunshine during September) continuing on from the high humidity, warm conditions that was evident from the Summer - which brought all that cloud across the country. I don't like this September for similar reasons as those mentioned for June.

October 2016: Very dry and anticyclonic. Variable sunshine and rather mild. A very quiet month that was pretty uneventful but it was gloriously dry across the country. It was the driest October for many years and the IMRP (Irish Mean Rainfall Percentage) for October was only 47% of the average.

November 2016: Exceptionally sunny, cold and dry. Sunniest November on record for Ireland. Coldest since 2010. No really low temperatures during November 2016 but the cold was persistent during much of the month. I absolutely loved November 2016 and honestly, my second favourite November after 2010. It was the driest November since 2007. For how awful November 2015 was, I think it was worth it because of November 2016.

December 2016: A very quiet month with mild and dry conditions. Sunshine was rather high but not exceptionally so with the exception of Shannon Airport which had its sunniest December on record according to Met ?ireann. I did hate December for how mild YET dry it was but once you don't consider it being Winter, I thought it was a lovely month.

January 2017: Dry, mild and rather sunny in places. Another very quiet month and my opinion is the same to that of December in that I did hate it for how dry and mild it was considering it is a Winter month after all but once you don't consider it, it was a lovely month.

February 2017: Very dull, mild and relatively wet. Ugh.... this month. This sorry excuse of a month. Yeah if you could not guess there, I utterly despise this abysmal month. It felt like drizzle on end with persistent dull skies from the middle to the end of February. It was that terrible. My one day I enjoyed from this month was Storm Doris as I loved the wind blowing me in the very heavy rain when I was in Dublin City with my friends.

March 2017: Very mild, wet and sunny. I have mixed opinions on this month. It had its very miserable moments like those of February but it did have its equal share of lovely, beautiful moments too. I think March 2017 is the ideal month as a result.

April 2017: Extremely dry, dull and rather mild. I don't like April for how dull it was. Despite it being a gloriously dry month, the dull conditions ruined it for me.

And May 2017 has been quite similar to May 2016 in that it has been a very sunny, warm and dry month. I love it as a result.

I just had to give my opinions on each month too :D.

I meant the 24th and 25th of September, that weekend was the Harvest festival in Dunshaughlin and the relentless rain and dark skies really put a dampener on the event with many stalls packing up by 3pm on the Saturday afternoon.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    High side of normal!

I wonder is it high enough for sea based convection for thunderstorms yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I started daily weather observations as a high school student in 1964 and I can still remember most of the details of the weather in the years that I kept that up.

So just imagine, sryanbruen, if you're as young as I suspect, you will be talking about 2017 in the year 2070, deus volante.

(the main highlight was that February 1964 had an abnormal amount of sunshine and almost no rain or snow where I was, which was 30 miles west of Toronto).

I started daily weather observations as a high school student in 1964 and I can still remember most of the details of the weather in the years that I kept that up.

So just imagine, sryanbruen, if you're as young as I suspect, you will be talking about 2017 in the year 2070, deus volante.

(the main highlight was that February 1964 had an abnormal amount of sunshine and almost no rain or snow where I was, which was 30 miles west of Toronto).

Doubt I'll even live that long :pac:. The day I have grand kids, the first story I will be telling them is what December 2010 was like and giving my experience of it - December 2010 will never be beaten as my favourite month, even if I do see an even colder month in my life. My nostalgia for December 2010 is so special and it annoys me so much how I did not take pictures of myself during it! :(

In contrast with your abnormal amount of sunshine in February 1964, Ireland recorded quite a dull month with values between 60-80% of the average sunshine generally. Rainfall, like the other two months of the Winter of 1963/64, was well below average ranging from 30-60% of the average rainfall widely. Definitely not as interesting as how February 1964 was for you though. This information I've posted here is from a source I looked at long ago and so I forgot.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I wonder is it high enough for sea based convection for thunderstorms yet?

Actually scrap I asked that!

If we have sea temps higher than the air temps and the air pressure is right then we have sea based convection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can I ask Syran, do you have a clear memory of 2010? Or is it just weather records you go by and some memory?

I remember it to a fairly good extent, I wouldn't have had the same interest in weather back then so all I remember is watching the radar (and window) for impeding snow showers (many of which never arrived). I understand I'm quite a few years older than you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Any chance any of you guys could take a quick look at slane on Saturday and give a forecast? I fear the worst...

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Can I ask Syran, do you have a clear memory of 2010? Or is it just weather records you go by and some memory?

I remember it to a fairly good extent, I wouldn't have had the same interest in weather back then so all I remember is watching the radar (and window) for impeding snow showers (many of which never arrived). I understand I'm quite a few years older than you though.

Both, I have an eidetic (i.e. photographic) memory for remembering the weather of days. I've had an interest in the weather since I was 8 years of age. After watching tons of forecast videos online since then, I've gotten to know the daily weather for other months before I gained my interest and even months before I was born. 2010 is the year I remember most because it is my favourite year in terms of weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lovely evening yesterday warm and hazy real balmy feel to it. Today is typical mini heatwave Irish style so far I'm afraid. Zero sun 16 degrees. Hopefully it'll pick up though

Met Éireann showing some quite heavy rain early Saturday.

pKmfHql.png

MidMan25 wrote: »
    High side of normal!

I was thinking they were a bit on the warm side alright.

Sea temperature anomaly map taken from windy. com.

screenshot_1.png

Beautiful day here now sun has burned off clouds lovely warm afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

23C in Oak Park at 3pm, probably the highest temp of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very warm here in Naas now

Grand and warm in West Clare for the hour and a half the sun was out. Clouded over again, lovely.

I'm sure it'll be stunningly beautiful tomorrow when I can't enjoy it.

At least Friday looks interesting.

Yesterday was a fine warm day here with a max of 22.4c. Today conditions are very similar but with even more sunshine and the maximum so far has been 23.7c. I am loving this weather. Hope Calibos doesn't get mad at me for calling my area Costa Del Grange :P.

EDIT: Almost getting sunburned in the sun today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

23C in Oak Park at 3pm, probably the highest temp of the year.

AWS max of 24.1c here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Poor folk down in parts of S.Munster under that immovable bank of cloud - hasn't budged an inch since this morning. Glorious in Dublin. I used to not be a fan of the trade-off between wall to wall sunshine and the lower temperatures here versus further west/inland where it's usually warmer but generally a higher risk of cloud buildup during the day, but most definitely getting used to it especially when the breeze is not a factor.

Heading to Killarney tomorrow for a few days and fear that cloud bank going to linger - will be a kick in the teeth if we end up in one of the only cloudy places in the country. ME seem to think it'll be one of the cooler parts of the country too. Will be a shame as planned several outdoor activities based on what the models were showing a couple of days ago - already lost Friday seemingly to rain/showers would be a shame if Thursday turned out crappy as well.

Cloud cleared again in West Clare, beautiful evening and extremely humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

very same in Castlebar, last of the cloud has dispersed , beautiful sunset . roll on tomorrow for the warmest day of the year so far in the West/northwest

Air temperature is very warm atm but unlike last night, I have a nice cool fresh breeze to ease the discomfort nature of the humidity.

Glorious evening here can't get enough of it. Beautiful light there now with the sun going down. What I wouldn't give for a month of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

Glorious evening here can't get enough of it. Beautiful light there now with the sun going down. What I wouldn't give for a month of this.

Stop complaining
    Oh wait
    :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jeepers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The South Coast struggling today

Temp Max rounded

Ogimet

eNlx6k9.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Danno wrote: »
    AWS max of 24.1c here.

Screen max of 23.8c.

Advertisement