Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Any idea when it might clear Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Any idea when it might clear Dublin?
    after 6 pm, wet afternoon ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just stopped here torrential rain all morning. Great for the garden though.

Very heavy rain in Naas. I reckon the grass in my garden has grown an inch overnight with the rain. Nice and cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Horribly humid here in D7, even though its cooled off a bit, its sweaty weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rain on its last legs in Dublin now- another 30 minutes of l rain or drizzle then should be dry in time for KO in the Aviva- may even catch a glimpse of the setting sun later this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Thanks guys that whole summer was glorious iirc and have great if somewhat grainy memories of it

Wonderful summer. People always think it reached 30 a lot that summer, but it didn't really, it was mostly mid to high 20s. Who cares, it was fab. :cool:

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It was. It's only competitor for best summer in recent times, according to the majority of people, is 1976. The summer started off very cool and dull in early June however, so Summer 2017 could turn out like Summer 1995.... YA NEVER KNOW.

We're due one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Murrisk wrote: »
    We're due one! :D

I don't think so frankly. Each decade tends to have its "brilliant" Summer. This being 1976 for the 1970s. Of course the 1970s also had 1975 so that decade had two brilliant summers - quite a lucky decade. The brilliant summers for the 1980s were 1983 and 1989 so like the 1970s, they had two. The 1990s had 1995. The 2000s had 2006. 2003 wasn't absolutely "amazing" in Ireland for the Summer as a whole. June was very wet and warm. July was very mixed rainfall wise, warm and very dull. Only August was really good. The 2010s had 2013. You'll see on Tuesday for what my thoughts on Summer 2017 are - I'm not giving any spoilers 'til then :rolleyes:.

Don't be so humourless. I wasn't being entirely serious.

And 2006 had only two weeks. Outside of that, it was distinctly average. Ditto 2013. And August 2003 was not good. It was warm AND dull. - awful weather. August 2003 was dreadful in Ireland. Anticyclonic gloom.

My point being, it's been a long, long time since we've had a sustained good summer. 1995 was the last one. Over twenty years.

• Advertisement

Don't be so humourless. I wasn't being entirely serious.

And 2006 had only two weeks. Outside of that, it was distinctly average. Ditto 2013. And August 2003 was not good. It was warm AND dull. - awful weather. August 2003 was dreadful in Ireland. Anticyclonic gloom.

My point being, it's been a long, long time since we've had a sustained good summer. 1995 was the last one. Over twenty years.

Frankly, I am humourless so you can't do anything about it, that's who I am.

August 2003 was very sunny, what are you talking about? :eek: August 2003 was easily one of Ireland's sunniest Augusts on record. Go read about it at Met Éireann: http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2003-Aug.pdf

See how Met Éireann says "A very sunny month everywhere" :cool:. So what are you talking about? And yes you really triggered me by saying what you said.

2006 had a very warm June AND July. That's hardly two weeks. Even the first week of August had its very warm days - the 5th getting up to 28c in the south. 2006 was far from average. Read about Summer 2006 here (on the last page - page 16): http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2006-aug.pdf

2013 was not as brilliant as 2006 but nevertheless, June was fine, dry and sunny in most places. July was extremely warm with a 2-3 week heatwave in places (LEGIT, not a figure of speech), very sunny and rather dry. August was warm and dull but dry.

"I wasn't being entirely serious". I saw what you said in your post about Gonzo saying European countries "constantly" getting 36c before you deleted it. You say you weren't being entirely serious, well you took Gonzo's post too serious also. It was a figure of speech of what he said.

And 2006 had only two weeks.

That's way off being true! I remember 2006 so vividly as it was the first year I moved away from home, lived with 5 other work-experience students in Maynooth, and I can remember BBQs every day, the grass turning yellow, just an epic lovely summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

Beautiful day on east galway
    Sunny and warm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

warm here in Castlebar with spells of sunshine and little or no wind.

August 2003 was very sunny, what are you talking about? :eek: August 2003 was easily one of Ireland's sunniest Augusts on record. Go read about it at Met Éireann: http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2003-Aug.pdf

Dublin in August 2003, I distinctly recall the contrast between the UK and Ireland. The UK got a proper heatwave, we got either hazy subshine or cloud cover to go with our heat.

The hazy sunshine might have been classed as sunny days but they were extremely hazy and not truly sunny. That month sticks out in my mind as particularly unpleasant because we were getting the warmth but the cloud cover made that warmth very unpleasant. Awful. Whilst the UK basked in proper sunshine. I remember my parents visited the UK for that month and we compared notes on their return.

Dublin in August 2003, I distinctly recall the contrast between the UK and Ireland. The UK got a proper heatwave, we got either hazy subshine or cloud cover to go with our heat.

The hazy sunshine might have been classed as sunny days but they were extremely hazy and not truly sunny. That month sticks out in my mind as particularly unpleasant because we were getting the warmth but the cloud cover made that warmth very unpleasant. Awful. Whilst the UK basked in proper sunshine. I remember my parents visited the UK for that month and we compared notes on their return.

Well sometimes your memories trick you as do mine. I remember July 2006 having endless sunshine day after day. Now it was a very sunny month indeed but not every day was as sunny as I thought when I looked at the statistics - when I first got interested into weather back in 2009.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's way off being true! I remember 2006 so vividly as it was the first year I moved away from home, lived with 5 other work-experience students in Maynooth, and I can remember BBQs every day, the grass turning yellow, just an epic lovely summer.

There was a two week heatwave which, yes, was fantastic but that was it.

It absolutely wasn't a full summer, the good weather didn't even last a month, not even close. Your memory deceives you.

The last long, hot summer we had was 1995. None since has come anywhere near close. Not 2003, not 2006, not 2013.

Well sometimes your memories trick you as do mine. I remember July 2006 having endless sunshine day after day. Now it was a very sunny month indeed but not every day was as sunny as I thought when I looked at the statistics - when I first got interested into weather back in 2009.

July 2006 had a good two week spell in it and I guess that might have seemed like a month in Ireland. I remember that the heatwave broke spectacularly in thunder and that was it. Note I'm talking about heatwaves, not sunny days. A sunny day in summer in Ireland might not be necessarily be very warm.

August 2003 was day after day of either thick haze or cloud which made the high temperatures very uncomfortable. In Dublin anyway. I remember how agonising it was to watch the reports from across the pond of wall to wall sunshine while we were stuck in murkiness.

As said, no summer since 1995 has come close to it, it was pretty much a flawless two months, though there was one or two cloudy days. These were thundery days that served to sort of reset and then it was back to sun. I'm bemused at anyone saying we've had anything like it since. We most certainly have not.

So for two decades on the trot, we haven't had the amazing summer that seemed to happen once or twice a decade before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

warm here in Castlebar with spells of sunshine and little or no wind.

Same here in West Clare, although getting hazier.

July 2006 had a good two week spell in it and I guess that might have seemed like a month in Ireland. I remember that the heatwave broke spectacularly in thunder and that was it.

August 2003 was day after day of either thick haze or cloud which made the high temperatures very uncomfortable. In Dublin anyway. I remember how agonising it was to watch the reports from across the pond of wall to wall sunshine while we were stuck in murkiness.

As said, no summer since 1995 has come close to it, it was pretty much a flawless two months, though there was one or two cloudy days. These were thundery days that served to sort of reset and then it was back to sun.

So for two decades on the trot, we haven't had the amazing summer that seemed to happen once or twice a decade before that.

I honestly can't say much from an experience point of view for August 2003 because I was only 2 years of age then :p. From the side of statistics, it's definitely giving a very different image to what you have told me.

May I ask what do you consider the two "flawless" months of Summer 1995 when you say that please? Just in case you actually know what you're talking about so that your memory doesn't trick you again ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I honestly can't say much from an experience point of view for August 2003 because I was only 2 years of age then :p. From the side of statistics, it's definitely giving a very different image to what you have told me.

How in the name of God would you remember 2006 then? I don't remember when I was 10 nevermind 5!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How in the name of God would you remember 2006 then? I don't remember when I was 10 nevermind 5!

I was on holidays in a mobile at Donabate for the whole of July 2006 - that is what really made it memorable to me. We would often go out to Donabate Beach too during the month.

OK, you're going by stats. I'm going by living through it as an adult. Some of those sunny days were hazy, believe me, and haze that did not burn off.
    May I ask what do you consider the two "flawless" months of Summer 1995 when you say that please? Just in case you actually know what you're talking about so that your memory doesn't trick you again ;).

I finished up fifth class at the end of June 1995, I was 11 and already very interested in the weather. The half day we had for the last school day was the start of it. July and August were perfect. I spent so much time that summer swimming in the local outdoor pool that usually only gets a few days business a summer. I can still recall the incredulity of the Irish weather forecasters every day going "Yep, another week of sun!" and that continued for two months with, I think, one or two cloudy thundery days in the mix. But they just helped clear the air.

But if you don't want to take my word for it, it is also well documented. I have certainly read an article on Met Eireann about it, as well as the Met Office UK. I'm not simply going by memory here, it is recognised as an exceptional summer. If you search for articles about it, you won't be disappointed.

I am just very passionate about this. Claims that there have been summers as good since are just so wrong.

OK, you're going by stats. I'm going by living through it as an adult. Some of those sunny days were hazy, believe me, and haze that did not burn off.

I finished up fifth class at the end of June 1995, I was 11 and already very interested in the weather. The half day we had for the last school day was the start of it. July and August were perfect. I can still recall the incredulity of the Irish weather forecasters every day going "Yep, another week of sun!" and that continued for two months with, I think, one or two cloudy thundery days in the mix. But they just helped clear the air.

But if you don't want to take my word for it, it is also well documented. I have certainly read an article on Met Eireann about it, as well as the Met Office UK. I'm not simply going by memory here, it is recognised as an exceptional summer. If you search for articiles about it, you won't be disappointed.

Ok, I'm glad that you didn't say June 1995 as for the most part, it was a dull and cool month. It was the last 10 days that made it an outstanding warm, dry and sunny month.

July 1995 wasn't anything exceptional in terms of sunshine, it was very close to average. August 1995 was very exceptional though.

July 1995 wasn't anything exceptional in terms of sunshine, it was very close to average. August 1995 was very exceptional though.

There were some thundery days in July as I already said, (these are likely what brought down the sunshine average) but outside of those thundery days, the July was excellent. The thundery days were probably welcome actually, bringing some much needed moisture to the scorched earth. They also seemed to reset the weather to lower humidity sunniness. Overall, it was exceptionally dry all summer. And consistently very warm to hot.

I think your posts are excellent example of why relying on cold, hard statistics and not actually living through the weather (or being far too young to recall it) doesn't not show the full story.

Anyone old enough to remember that summer would give your claims that July 1995 was average the short shrift it deserves.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Summer1995.pdf

There was a two week heatwave which, yes, was fantastic but that was it.

It absolutely wasn't a full summer, the good weather didn't even last a month, not even close. Your memory deceives you.

The last long, hot summer we had was 1995. None since has come anywhere near close. Not 2003, not 2006, not 2013.

Doesn't have to be a heatwave to be 'good weather' though! 2006 was extremely dry during the summer, from what I remember, plenty of sunshine too. That'll do me, I was only about 12 during 1995, so much better able to handle hot weather, can't hack 25+ anymore.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be a heatwave to be 'good weather' though! 2006 was extremely dry during the summer, from what I remember, plenty of sunshine too.

It was fine. Outside of the heatwave, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Well, it was a dry summer, driest summer since 1995 (but note that it didn't top 1995) but try and get anyone excited about dryness when it's accompanied by clouds. August 2006 was noted as a dull month. July would have been above average, sunshine-wise, on account of the heatwave and the heatwave period would have bumped up the rest of the summer stats-wise. To me, a dry but cloudy summer is nothing to get excited about.

Overall, it was barely half as good a summer as 1995 in the traditional sense but for anyone who is not too bothered about high temperatures and sun, then yeah, it was a better summer than most.

It was fine. Outside of the heatwave, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Well, it was a dry summer, driest summer since 1995 (but note that it didn't top 1995) but try and get anyone excited about dryness when it's accompanied by clouds. August 2006 was noted as a dull month. July would have been above average, sunshine-wise, on account of the heatwave and the heatwave period would have bumped up the rest of the summer stats-wise. To me, a dry but cloudy summer is nothing to get excited about.

Overall, it was barely half as good a summer as 1995 in the traditional sense but for anyone who is not too bothered about high temperatures and sun, then yeah, it was a better summer than most.

I'll just quote your own sentence back at you here ;)
    I think your posts are excellent example of why relying on cold, hard statistics and not actually living through the weather doesn't show the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Here in Bedfordshire I've already recorded 7 days of 25C+ this year. I had 15 the whole of last year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Wet start to the day here heavy rain and hill fog. Yesterday up to tea time wasn't a bad day I'd class it as more 2006 than 1995 though!

Advertisement