Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some long range models are showing a huge change towards the end of June with very settled conditions prevailing like the end of June 1995. Everything so far is going to plan to what I said in my forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,060 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's just opinion.

I don't remember any storm in May 2016. It's such a quiet month in my mind.

You're right, may have been the year before.....or a completely different time of year.

No concept of time here.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You're right, may have been the year before.....or a completely different time of year.

No concept of time here.

1st/2nd June 2015 (I referenced it in my post - windiest June day since 2015) storm had a minimum pressure of 973hPa near Ireland.

m2ukIro.gif

That was probably it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met eireann on radio 1 there. Monday, connaught and ulster look like been mainly dry with some sunny spells. Leinster and Munster,even at this late stage the forecast is uncertain but there is a possibility of some rain and strong winds but stay tuned for updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

Met eireann on radio 1 there. Monday, connaught and ulster look like been mainly dry with some sunny spells. Leinster and Munster,even at this late stage the forecast is uncertain but there is a possibility of some rain and strong winds but stay tuned for updates

Met Eireann has issued a Weather Advisory for Co. Cork from 12:00 hours Mon, 05/Jun/2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,122 ✭✭✭✭km79

Decent day in East Galway
    Avoiding all the showers so far and good drying out
    No excuses not to cut the lawn now apart from a severe hangover :D

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for .
    Bank Holiday Monday: There is a possibility of heavy rain over Munster and Leinster.

Issued:Saturday 03 June 2017 13:00
    Valid:Monday 05 June 2017 12:00 to Monday 05 June 2017 23:00

"Monday will be a cloudy day over Leinster and Munster with a possibility of heavy and persistent rain at times, as a low pressure system is forecast to track eastwards along the south coast. Scattered showers over Connacht and Munster. Southwesterly winds will veer northwest and freshen later, with a risk of strong winds for a time. It will a cool day with top temperatures of just 12 to 15 degrees. "

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some nice sun here earlier but things look like there about to go downhill with alot of showers and dark clouds edging close to here now.

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for .
    Bank Holiday Monday: There is a possibility of heavy rain over Munster and Leinster.

"Monday will be a cloudy day over Leinster and Munster with a possibility of heavy and persistent rain at times, as a low pressure system is forecast to track eastwards along the south coast. Scattered showers over Connacht and Munster. Southwesterly winds will veer northwest and freshen later, with a risk of strong winds for a time. It will a cool day with top temperatures of just 12 to 15 degrees. "

Both Met Éireann and MT showing this as a pretty average band of heavy rain I see. I guess ignore my post then because that's covering the BBC and GFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Hail (in) Wexford!

2017-06-03_15.jpg

2017-06-03_15.jpg

2017-06-03_15.jpg

And ten minutes later.
    Steam off the car.
    2017-06-03_15.jpg

Edit: Forgive the first two pictures. I had the colour turned up a little on the camera but couldn't wait to change the settings in case I missed the shots.

Very mixed bag of a day today here with overcast and blue skies along with heavy blustery showers. Not too cool or too warm also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we really dodged it at my location, noting more than 2 or 3 very light showers, more like drops which never really wet the ground. Much more pleasant than expected here today and lots of sunshine, all the neighbours were busy cutting their lawns in the sunshine today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for .

Plenty of weather the next few days.

tempresult_kqe5.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A windy night along Southern and and Eastern coasts

tempresult_ktx1.gif

Projected rainfall at this stage, could get heavy along Southern coasts

tempresult_qjx3.gif

Raining in West Clare, lovely system over us now!

This chart I made shows the NAO index for each Summer since 1950. So far in the 21st century, there has been only three summers that have had a positive NAO whilst one has had a neutral NAO and the other twelve have had a negative NAO. It's no surprise why many of our summers since the end of the twentieth century have been so ****. To get an amazing Summer, you need a positive NAO. There is not one "amazing" Summer (this is opinion however) in the negative NAO summers here though 2000, 2010 and 2014 are in there. 2000 was fine, just fine. 2010 was pleasant despite a terrible July. 2014 started off awesome but ended very poorly in August.

June 2017 looks like continuing the trend of negative NAO but could July break the trend? I think so. I have a strong feeling - as you saw from my Summer forecast, that this Summer will be the first positive NAO Summer since 2013.

zJ20Qn6.png

Heavy rain now in Castlebar with a temperature of just 9 degrees. low pressure system passing directly over.

System now in over the west. just 8 degrees at Knock and Claremorris at 8pm.

Lashing here now and it's 14c.

• Advertisement

Very heavy rain currently in a line between Athlone/Westport moving north

• Registered Users Posts: 48,122 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dirty dirty depressing night
    8 degrees
    Peeing rain
    Bank holiday weekend in JUNE

At least the farmers are happy now the "drought" is over
    Honestly every time there is a couple of dry weeks they start complaining like we will never see rain again

Will be listening to them moaning about the wet land by the weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lashing in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Absolutely awful day in South Cork, I'm pretty relaxed about the weather but this is very disappointing for a bank holiday Monday in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

lovely day in Galway, the past few weeks have been very nice,

feeling cool today, winter clothing back on, may have to turn on the heating later. Cloudy and damp after last night's rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's been threatening to rain all day here in D7, but it just won't! RainToday has been saying "it's raining now" for about 4 hours.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's been threatening to rain all day here in D7, but it just won't! RainToday has been saying "it's raining now" for about 4 hours.

A fair drop of rain here in Greystones in the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What are the chances of Wednesday evening in Dublin not turning out to be the total washout Met Eireann are predicting? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Escaped the heaviest of the rain yesterday evening, rained for about an hour around 10pm but was mostly overcast and dry, today started off nice and sunny but has clouded over now, feels cool enough to, but dry

Advertisement