Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd love a bidet !
    I'd love for it to just happen to be there, in my bathroom, and I'd be secretly using it, so I wouldn't have the mortification of having deliberately purchased a bidet for use in my bathroom.
    Our house had no bathroom when we bought it so that wouldn't wash off. (;))

I might just put one in one day, feck it.
    Grew up with them in every bathroom in France, very handy they are. You can soak delicates in them, wash feet ... they're not just for ahem ! you know.

In my grandparents' the bathroom was small, so they actually had one on wheels, no shít. It could be wheeled under the sink after use. That was so cool.

Kinda wondered why a bidet is not acceptable in Ireland but is acceptable in Spain or France.

Do Irish people have different arses.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

listermint wrote: »
    Kinda wondered why a bidet is not acceptable in Ireland but is acceptable in Spain or France.

Do Irish people have different arses.?

Yeah, I don't know ... :confused:
    Are they easy to find here I wonder ? I don't spend much time in bathroom sales places. I'd have room for one in bathroom.

edit : a quick Google search tells me they're not that easy to find actually. Like, one or two models seem available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Home improvements you find tacky.

Getting rid of Blu Tack. :)

Use a blob of Blu Tack to get rid of Blu Tack but it's still a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Oh and I'm sorry I've touched such a raw nerve here. Obviously you won't like my posts if you've just lathered your home in grey... However, this whole thread is about what people find tacky and I resend the right to that opinion. Just because I find the current trend poorly implemented for the most part is no reason to view it as an attack on you.

My problem with your posts (besides the use of sheeple) isn't any kind of Iove of grey. I don't have any grey paint in my house. It's the general unearned – as far as I can tell – air of superiority.

The problem isn't with grey, you tell us, but the fact that the lesser classes haven't been using it properly. They are just followers of fashion, following interior design fads. You on the other hand, you are the expert on the use of grey paint.

It could be the case that your are in fact the world's foremost grey paint design expert but it's unlikely

I've just had a great idea for a TV show.

We could call it "Design Wars" or summat.

I have a couple of contestants picked out already! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm devastated with my grey house now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My problem with your posts (besides the use of sheeple) isn't any kind of Iove of grey. I don't have any grey paint in my house. It's the general unearned – as far as I can tell – air of superiority.

The problem isn't with grey, you tell us, but the fact that the lesser classes haven't been using it properly. They are just followers of fashion, following interior design fads. You on the other hand, you are the expert on the use of grey paint.

It could be the case that your are in fact the world's foremost grey paint design expert but it's unlikely

You're right, I'm not the world's foremost expert on grey paint, or any paint for that matter :)

If you read my first post in this thread, you'll see that it's fairly ordinary, noting beyond any other post criticising other fads/trend in this thread.

However, I then got smug responses attempting to belittle me rather than really look at my post and find a way to contradict it. Fight fire with fire.

Simple enough and not very nice. Your post is a very fair assessment! I don't normally post like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Picture frames on the wall as decoration. Just the frame.
    Mirrors as decoration.
    Gaudy garden ornaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

milehip wrote: »

I think I just discovered my new favorite furniture website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think I just discovered my new favorite furniture website.

A veritable cornucopia of crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Grueller

I noticed a lot of new builds now a days are going a "luxury" look. It usually means shiny floors, shiny kitchens, lots of glass tables, "chandlers" mirrors, leather sofas, furry cushions and lots of wall paper. No amount of this stuff is going to make a 3 bed semi look like a mansion. The whole things together looks really tacky and uninviting.

Speaking of leather sofas...I find them mostly tacky. Especially red leather sofas. yuk!

I also don't get feature walls...I mean the kind where you paint your chimney breast a bright colour/cover it with "funky" wallpaper while the other four walls are magnolia.

Agreeing with all of this except leather sofas. For anyone that works a dirty job a leather sofa is a godsend as a fabric one would be destroyed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Piriz wrote: »
    It's different, I'll give it that. TBH while it wouldn't be my taste, at least they made an effort. It's a reflection of them.
    gramar wrote: »
    Picture frames on the wall as decoration. Just the frame.
    Mirrors as decoration.
    Depends on the frame and the mirrors I'd say G. 18th century plaster and gesso gilded frame, with "shabby chic" from actual time, then grand, placcy frame copying same from Argos, not so much. Ditto for the mirrors. Oh and before the "the real thing is way out of reach for most people", some might be surprised. Some antique stuff is often to be had cheaper than modern reproductions coming on the slow boat from China. Depends as ever with what is currently fashionable. A few years back I was in a Dublin shop that had "high quality" reproductions of Georgian chests of drawers, that were near double the price of the real deal. And the real deal has survived a couple of centuries, so quality isn't at issue. So if you want "authentic", so long as you steer clear of the currently fashionable, the real deal can often be cheaper to source.
    I think if you're happy and comfortable in your house, it doesn't matter what way you have it decorated. Other people's taste doesn't bother me all that much.
    This. So much this.

Though I will admit to a bit of a grimace with houses that look like all items within were bought in an afternoon as a currently fashionable job lot.

I personally like the "Victorian clutter", cabinet of curiosities look(among others). Think Sherlock Holmes' gaff style, with various styles, including modern stuff added in. Though if money were no object… Maybe more than a touch of original Art Nouveau stuff*(and some high Deco, rather than the mass produced stuff), mixed with original renaissance stuff. Furniture wise anyway. You'd need a large room(s) though. That style, especially the latter tends towards the monumental and was designed for such large spaces. I also tend to prefer dark woods to light woods. Pine generally gives me hives. All that would appeal to few enough, but it's a reflection of me and I can live with that. :D

*Quality Art Nouveau was about the last gasp of the excessive ornament, hand made, natural and very bourgeois style, in the face of the rise of the machine and futurism. The New Art looking to a past that never existed. It's part of the appeal for me. High Art Deco was more about the machine and futurism, but was just as excessive, hand made and very bourgeois too. I'm a sucker for futurism/modernism TBH. That it has become nostalgic is ironic in of itself. BUt I digress. As effin usual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KKkitty wrote: »

That must be the most claustrophobic bed ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

meeeeh wrote: »
    That must be the most claustrophobic bed ever.

I'd say it can get quite clammy in it. Don't think I'll shell out for it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Maybe it's because I'm from Florida, but there are some things that are just so outlandishly tacky that I can't help but love them. This is one of those things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Who wants to sleep in a compact?....:p

Maybe it's because I'm from Florida, but there are some things that are just so outlandishly tacky that I can't help but love them. This is one of those things :D

There's tack and there's tack......

for almost two years in the 1980's I worked security in an old factory while studying, vast open floor space where they made huge dolls and the like with plenty of old parts still on rails and ceiling hook lines, well eventhough the bosses didn't know it, I stayed there too to save rent.
    I put my lilo in the middle of the vast floor and was able to drive my bike in as the doors and most of the windows were broken, but security was still needed for the site but only over night as someone tried to burn the place down. I was the only security there, so I was ok. During bad weather or storms the fu**in shadows and noises were soo creepy, I used to talk to my bike, it was the best serviced CX out there....:P There were times I couldn't wait to go there and there were times I couldn't stop shaking going through the gates, but I lasted 22 months....

As an observer what you see as tacky decor or surroundings or furniture doesn't matter a f**k, it's what the user/occupier sees and experiences is what matters, at least their comforting piece of decor isn't a Honda CX 500.....:p

Who wants to sleep in a compact?....:p

There's tack and there's tack......

for almost two years in the 1980's I worked security in an old factory while studying, vast open floor space where they made huge dolls and the like with plenty of old parts still on rails and ceiling hook lines, well eventhough the bosses didn't know it, I stayed there too to save rent.
    I put my lilo in the middle of the vast floor and was able to drive my bike in as the doors and most of the windows were broken, but security was still needed for the site but only over night as someone tried to burn the place down. I was the only security there, so I was ok. During bad weather or storms the fu**in shadows and noises were soo creepy, I used to talk to my bike, it was the best serviced CX out there....:P There were times I couldn't wait to go there and there were times I couldn't stop shaking going through the gates, but I lasted 22 months....

As an observer what you see as tacky decor or surroundings or furniture doesn't matter a f**k, it's what the user/occupier sees and experiences is what matters, at least their comforting piece of decor isn't a Honda CX 500.....:p

That's some story. :eek: You're made of pretty stern stuff, not many would last that long.

It's true though, while we're here picking apart decor there are people out there who would give their arms to be safe and secure in a home of their own regardless of the color scheme or size of the sofa.

Candie wrote: »
    That's some story. :eek: You're made of pretty stern stuff, not many would last that long.

It's true though, while we're here picking apart decor there are people out there who would give their arms to be safe and secure in a home of their own regardless of the color scheme or size of the sofa.

You're right Candie but I wasn't referring to the homeless but the prolonged tit for tat about the grey colour.

Stern stuff, naw, I had no money so I saved on rent for a while, student concessions to the gym and pool looked after hygiene three times a week. When you're young you don't care, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've just had a great idea for a TV show.

We could call it "Design Wars" or summat.

I have a couple of contestants picked out already! :)

Will it involve bitchslapping with Farrow and Ball paint charts?

Wibbs wrote: »

I personally like the "Victorian clutter", cabinet of curiosities look(among others). Think Sherlock Holmes' gaff style, with various styles, including modern stuff added in. Though if money were no object… Maybe more than a touch of original Art Nouveau stuff*(and some high Deco, rather than the mass produced stuff), mixed with original renaissance stuff. Furniture wise anyway. You'd need a large room(s) though. That style, especially the latter tends towards the monumental and was designed for such large spaces. I also tend to prefer dark woods to light woods. Pine generally gives me hives. All that would appeal to few enough, but it's a reflection of me and I can live with that. :D

[/SIZE]

I was going to say, that sounds like my house, but not so much after the ''Victorian clutter", cabinet of curiosities look(among others). Think Sherlock Holmes' gaff style''.

We do have some pitch pine, mostly old oak but very little heavy dark brown colour furniture. No art deco apart from a radio. I do not like green embossed tiles or chrome. It's more along the lines of the Weasley's house (The Burrows). Except it's tiny.

You're right Candie but I wasn't referring to the homeless but the prolonged tit for tat about the grey colour.

Stern stuff, naw, I had no money so I saved on rent for a while, student concessions to the gym and pool looked after hygiene three times a week. When you're young you don't care, do you?

Oh I know, but in the grand scheme of things it's a bit trivial arguing about color choices when we're all just lucky to be in a position to have a roof over our heads.

(Sez she, who poured scorn on PVC doors and corner baths :))

I certainly hope so!

Leather couches. The fur coats of interior decorating. Beloved of people who go on tanning machines. Status symbol for people who have no socio-economic status.

Oh I know, but in the grand scheme of things it's a bit trivial arguing about color choices when we're all just lucky to be in a position to have a roof over our heads.

(Sez she, who poured scorn on PVC doors and corner baths :))

Haa, me too, and I design this for clients every working day......:D

Fiddy shades o'grey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Leather couches. The fur coats of interior decorating. Beloved of people who go on tanning machines. Status symbol for people who have no socio-economic status.

We got a free leather couch for a play room/den and I tell ya it's bloody well comfortable. And it's a wine/red coulor one at that.

Maybe we got it from the poster here decrying red leather couches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'd love a bidet !
    In my grandparents' the bathroom was small, so they actually had one on wheels, no shít. It could be wheeled under the sink after use. That was so cool.

Ain't that the idea?

:pac:

• Advertisement

Just to make it clear I didn't like the sheep comment, I thought it was very condescending. I couldn't care less about the grey (unless I count bathroom tiles we even don't have any). But I agree the discussion went a bit too far.

Advertisement