Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Dita Von Teese is fond of taxidermy.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VWGskxpdjWo/maxresdefault.jpg

Not to my taste at all. Don't see the point in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

meeeeh wrote: »
    That looks cool.

A lot of things can look well if you know how to style them. I don't have the skills.

I like quirky houses and I have no problem with ethical taxidermy. I.e if the animal was not killed for that purpose. I wouldn't go out of my way for it though.
    I'm not sure if it's a swan or an ostrich?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Back in the 80s there was a house near where I was growing up where a taxidermist lived.
    His house had a large picture window looking out onto the street. In which there was a full sized DEER. :(

I know a taxidermist. She got a visit from a social worker ( in relation to her children's safety, I guess) because someone had reported her and said her house is ''full of dead animals''. That was one way to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My aunt married a man my family didn't approve of (drinker, wife beater etc.) but he wheedled his way into their good books by developing an interest in huntin', shootin', fishin' all that sort of stuff.

Resulting in their tiny council house living room being stuffed to the gills with stuffed animals of all sorts in glass cases. Creepy as hell.

"What's that? I've sat on something? JESUS IT'S A FOX!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

Satin/shiny bedsheets. Carpets in bathrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Crystal too.
    It'd be fine in a mansion, or Victorian house, or castle.
    I'm in a cottagey house, and crystal would look so bad, no matter what way I tried to present it. So I sold or gave away all the crystal bowls, lamps, etc... that I got for my wedding. I didn't like the idea of getting rid of wedding presents, but realistically there was no way I was going to expose any of it ever in my place. I kept the whisky tumblers and other glasses though, they have a use. :)

Cokezero wrote: »
    Satin/shiny bedsheets. Carpets in bathrooms.

I got a satin duvet cover and matching pillowcases. They slid all over the bed if you moved them at all. Not practical. What's people's opinions on bath mats. I'm not talking about the toilet mat just the bath mat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

KKkitty wrote: »
    I got a satin duvet cover and matching pillowcases. They slid all over the bed if you moved them at all. Not practical. What's people's opinions on bath mats. I'm not talking about the toilet mat just the bath mat itself.

Wouldn't be without it - the tiles in my bathroom are in bits and I'd cut my foot if I didn't have it!

Toilet mats - eeuuwwwww!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wouldn't be without it - the tiles in my bathroom are in bits and I'd cut my foot if I didn't have it!

Toilet mats - eeuuwwwww!

Toilet mats are horrible but I have flooring that is cold no matter what so stepping out onto it after bathing is a no no for me. It's a bit slippy too so the bath mat is essential.

I have a nice thick cotton bath mat in my bathroom, lovely in the mornings to stand on. It's a neutral plain color similar to the tile, I can't stand the textured/patterned ones.

It's a yes from me, from a comfort point of view as well as a practical (stops me sliding on the tile when I'm out of the shower).

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    I have a nice thick cotton bath mat in my bathroom, lovely in the mornings to stand on. It's a neutral plain color similar to the tile, I can't stand the textured/patterned ones.

It's a yes from me, from a comfort point of view as well as a practical (stops me sliding on the tile when I'm out of the shower).

Whether they look tacky or not they are a necessity. Anyone have the toilet roll covers back in the day?

https://youtu.be/kEmlmuA_0NI :D

I have a bath mat ... and a toilet mat :o:o:o

Bath mat is non negotiable, for safety and comfort.

I hate the toilet mat, but I wash it often. I've a 9 year old boy. It's the mat or the floor, and I find it easier to throw the mat into the wash than constantly mopping.

I rotate with one that is plain and that I tolerate, and one set that has several colours in big stripes (all in the colour scheme but still) and that I loathe. I'm gonna throw it away I swear. As soon as I remember to replace it.

I actually love the toilet roll covers, some of them are so ... interesting ! But I don't have one, and I wouldn't put one in my bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You need floor mats. However bath mats are a death trap. We got mats and the only time I fell in bath was when bath mat wasn't secured properly and it slipped when I was getting into bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Zaph wrote: »
    Dado rails. The fcukers who owned the house before us put one in the living room, along with different types of wallpaper above and below and a border thrown in for good measure. The wallpaper was the first thing to go after buying the house, but pulling out the dado rail would probably damage the wall, so it's painted the same colour as the rest of the room (which actually camouflaged it quite well, my wife didn't notice it until about two years after she moved in :D). Plus they put cornices in every bloody room in the house and a huge plaster rose in the middle of the living room ceiling. What the fcuk was wrong with those people???

Ah, sounds like the sad little corner where taste crawled into and died - hope its better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

meeeeh wrote: »
    However bath maths are a death trap.

I can relate. The last time I said the five times tables in the bath it nearly killed me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I can relate. The last time I said the five times tables in the bath it nearly killed me. :D

Lol

I spelled it right once. Anyway I amended the post, this one is to ridiculous to leave it unchanged even in the name of historical accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

TVs on walls

(sorry, if already mentioned, but too lazy to read all comments)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

TVs on walls

(sorry, if already mentioned, but too lazy to read all comments)

I have to disagree, it can save a lot of space.

stevek93 wrote: »
    I have to disagree, it can save a lot of space.

A lot of evil things have been done in the quest for space.

A lot of evil things have been done in the quest for space.

True. I could never give up that fight though !
    I would sell my soul to the devil for more space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

Space is overated IMO, the more space yoiu have the more worthless junk you accumalate.

milehip wrote: »
    Space is overated IMO, the more space yoiu have the more worthless junk you accumalate.

I think you'll find your argument eats itself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

You can't bate a bit of room even if it's only in the bed :)

Next you'll be annexing a small eastern European nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Been to a house with carpet in the bathroom, which was as naff as it was disgusting. When I heard they were doing up the bathroom I thought, "fair play, they're coming to their senses".

They painted the walls and stuck in a new carpet. Takes all sorts, eh?

It's true too though.
    It's like the Holy Grail, but worse.

So much junk.
    It's even worse when you don't buy the junk, when it's gifted junk, like at Christmas.
    The children's Irish Granny deposits junk in my place all the time. Every time she turns up with more junk my heart sinks a little. I know it's very ungrateful of me but there's only so much a house can take.

It's true too though.
    It's like the Holy Grail, but worse.

So much junk.
    It's even worse when you don't buy the junk, when it's gifted junk, like at Christmas.
    The children's Irish Granny deposits junk in my place all the time. Every time she turns up with more junk my heart sinks a little. I know it's very ungrateful of me but there's only so much a house can take.

But the person's argument is space is overrated - so why are they so bothered by junk stealing their space?

superglue wrote: »
    Been to a house with carpet in the bathroom, which was as naff as it was discgusting. When I heard they were doing up the bathroom I thought, "fair play, they're coming to their senses".

They painted the walls and stuck in a new carpet. Takes all sorts, eh?

Carpet in the bathroom... Ick!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Garden ornaments and fountains in small gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

The overly feminine bed nonsense... The gauzy boudoir canopies that puddle in a hot mess... or even the 'romantic' mosquito netting that 'drape softly encircling the bed'. Would drive me nuts trying to keep it out of the way to get in and out of bed. Makes no sense - beds are for rest, not some fashion novelty ya have to fiddle with. But I am not a girly girl, so it doesn't appeal (then again I can't imagine any man would find that appealing to mess with either).

Also the too many pillows on bed trend a few years back. Sure, stack them all on the floor when you go to bed then trip on them in the dark, no thanks.

Advertisement