Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 209: Woodley vs Thompson 2 Sat Mar 4th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

When is the poll going up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

My worry for conor vs khabib would be conors gas tank. I think if he doesnt knock khabib out in the first 2 rounds he will suffer with khabibs style going into the later rounds.

Really hope wonderboy wins on at 209 hes an all round good guy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Poll needed for both main and co-main. Tony Khabib will probably be 50/50 on here, interesting to see the results.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think people will have a different opinion of Khabib vrs Conor after this weekend.

In what way? do you think Khabib wins or loses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

alverez and aldo had reach of 69 inches to mcgregors 74 , khabib's reach is 70 , so he will have to take one or two to try and get inside which is a big question to be answered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

peteeeed wrote: »
    alverez and aldo had reach of 69 inches to mcgregors 74 , khabib's reach is 70 , so he will have to take one or two to try and get inside which is a big question to be answered

Yeah I have a feeling he almost trusts himself to be able to take one to get inside. Dan Hardy had a very good breakdown of this fight he showed a lot of interesting things that both of them do. Two very unorthodox fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Look at what we have seen in their last fights. Khabib locking MJ up while having a conversation with him for the crack and fergson having some dancing lessons with RDA... this will be insane from the first bell....i dont even care woodley and wonderboy are fighting....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Poll needed for both main and co-main. Tony Khabib will probably be 50/50 on here, interesting to see the results.

First time adding a poll, it's there now. Also dunno where the main image has disappeared to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Has Khabib ever been in a 5 rounder?

Anyways, Ferguson via decision for me, I think Khabib will take him down once or twice but he'll be too slippery. While it's on the feet I think Khabib will get butchered. I hope to see them trade elbows with Khabib on top Ferguson on bottom.

Woodley is gonna beat Thompson too, could see that by KO, sub or possibly decision. Only way Wonderboy wins is if he outpoints him and Woodley doesn't use his wrestling.

Ep:3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The breakdown of Tony Khabib has my hype levels through the roof, gonna be an epic fight. Highly recommend giving that a watch, Hardy is so good at breaking down fights.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The breakdown of Tony Khabib has my hype levels through the roof, gonna be an epic fight. Highly recommend giving that a watch, Hardy is so good at breaking down fights.

Love inside the octagon. Best analyst programme in all of sports imo.

I hope its a 5 round war with Ferguson and Nurmagomedov and not over in round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I agree with Firas, don't think it'll end in the early rounds. Two of the toughest mofos goin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

In a bit of a dilemma for the bets.

Really want Ferguson and wonderboy to do the job but don't think that's the smart money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

D.Q wrote: »
    In a bit of a dilemma for the bets.

Really want Ferguson and wonderboy to do the job but don't think that's the smart money.

I think Ferguson will get the job done by submission and make it look extremely easy.

Khabib is massively over-rated on what he has actually achieved in the Octagon and I honestly don't think he's that much better than his decision-machine friends from Dagestan he corners in the UFC.

He may very well prove himself to be the second coming of Christ but for the moment all he's done is beat RDA (before RDA's miraculous transformation from decision machine to wrecking-ball) and Michael Johnson (who, with all due respect, is 17-11....not far off the type of record people slate Artem for).

Speaking of Johnson, 7 of his 11 career defeats have come by submission. He's proven vulnerable his whole career when it hits the mat.

Khabib's undefeated record is also a bit sketchy. I've watched the Gleison Tibau fight a handful of times and Khabib clearly lost that fight. Gleison had 2 takedowns, stuffed every takedown Khabib attempted and did the cleaner work on the feet. You could make a case for 30-27 across the board for Gleison.

Actually, every time Khabib has come up against high-level BJJ guys he has never really looked close to securing a finish on the mat, not to mention he gave his neck to RDA quite easily in that fight..... Ask Edson Barboza how that works out against Ferguson.

I can't see past Ferguson and Woodley and I think they'll both make it look surprisingly easy. People hoping for 2x 5 round wars might be in for a surprise. I think Woodley will get Wonderboy out of there inside 2 and Ferguson will submit Khabib inside 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Khabib wont be tapping out to Tony Ferguson thats one absolute certainty his da would disown him, will have to put him asleep,

Im off the opposite opinion Wonder I think Khabib will absolutely rag doll him slice through his guard and control the wrist, harsh using the Tibua fight against him that was donkeys ago sure Ferguson lost to Danny Castillo if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wonder you must have lost a fortune on MJ.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Khabib wont be tapping out to Tony Ferguson thats one absolute certainty his da would disown him, will have to put him asleep,

Im off the opposite opinion Wonder I think Khabib will absolutely rag doll him slice through his guard and control the wrist, harsh using the Tibua fight against him that was donkeys ago sure Ferguson lost to Danny Castillo if thats the case.

I'll bet you a 2-week no-post period that Khabib doesn't land more than 2 takedowns in the entire fight AND he loses. How's that for confidence in Ferguson's skills. I.e. If Khabib gets him down 3 times and wins, then you win.

Look I'm open to being hugely wrong - I did predict Johnson would KO Khabib in the 1st Round (close!) - but I just can't see past Ferguson and I don't think it's a coincidence that Khabib has pulled out of fights twice already against Ferguson. I really don't think Khabib wants any part of El Cucuy.

I don't think Conor does either to be fair. Conor is generally quiet about 2 people - Holloway and Ferguson. I'm not saying for one second he's afraid of either but I suspect he respects both hugely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Django99 wrote: »
    In what way? If Khabib beats Tony the same way he beat MJ and RDA, my opinion would be that Khabib would be a huge favourite against McGregor.

In what way? do you think Khabib wins or loses?
    I'm about 50/50 on the results. As above, I'm thinking in terms of the fight, not the results.

As it stands, for current impression of Khabib to continue unfaltering, he needs to completely smash Tony for the entire fight. While not impossible, it's one of the less likely outcomes imo.

If Khabib wins a closer fight, but Tony manages to land a lot of strikes, then there's significant carry over to Conor's striking landing and the implications that go with that.

If Tony wins a close fight with strikes (or a hail mary sub). Then the khabib domination idea drops significantly.

Tony could dominate Khabib, in which case his chances vrs Conor drop entirely. That's the most unlikely scenario imo.

Out of the four outcomes, there's only one where the Khabib hype train continues. As I said, it's not impossible, but its much more likely that one of the other outcomes happens.
    FWIW I think it will be one of the middle options, either by a close fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'll bet you a 2-week no-post period that Khabib doesn't land more than 2 takedowns in the entire fight AND he loses. How's that for confidence in Ferguson's skills. I.e. If Khabib gets him down 3 times and wins, then you win.

Look I'm open to being hugely wrong - I did predict Johnson would KO Khabib in the 1st Round (close!) - but I just can't see past Ferguson and I don't think it's a coincidence that Khabib has pulled out of fights twice already against Ferguson. I really don't think Khabib wants any part of El Cucuy.

I don't think Conor does either to be fair. Conor is generally quiet about 2 people - Holloway and Ferguson. I'm not saying for one second he's afraid of either but I suspect he respects both hugely.

Conor's quiet about Holloway because it's a nothing fight for him money wise. He beat him with 1 leg. He'd take his head off healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Khabib pulled out once with a rib injury, Tony pulled out of the second fight. Im not sure if its his religious views or associations outside the cage but your blind hate of Khabib is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ASOT wrote: »
    Khabib pulled out once with a rib injury, Tony pulled out of the second fight. Im not sure if its his religious views or associations outside the cage but your blind hate of Khabib is staggering.

tis gonna be fair interesting round here then mcgregor takes a trip on eagle airways

A bit shocked by the lack of confidence in wonderboy by some on here against woodley. He was perhaps to cautious at 205 but i think he turns up the style on saturday and takes the belt off woodley.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Lukker- wrote: »
    Conor's quiet about Holloway because it's a nothing fight for him money wise. He beat him with 1 leg. He'd take his head off healthy.

When that fight happened Holloway was 21 and not too much further along in his career than McGregor was when Joe Duffy tapped him in under a minute with ease. Holloway then and Holloway now is like two different fighters.

I would agree McGregor doesn't mention him because he's largely irrelevant at the moment, but predicting a future fight based on one so long ago wouldn't be wise in my opinion.

On this fight, can't see Tony keeping it under 3 take downs. This is one fight where it will be just as exciting and interesting on the ground as on the feet, so I'm hoping for a good mix of strikes and takedowns which I think we'll get.

Stamina will play a big part too. I definitely don't see an early finish, both are tough as nails and i find it hard to see either being finished before championship rounds. Khabibs relentless pressure on the ground takes energy but to be on the receiving end would be far worse. Haven't really been able to make a prediction yet and it will probably change several times over the next few days, but I'd go for Khabib 48-47 decision or else a late TKO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

ricero wrote: »
    A bit shocked by the lack of confidence in wonderboy by some on here against woodley. He was perhaps to cautious at 205 but i think he turns up the style on saturday and takes the belt off woodley.

He needs to kick more, he was effective with his kicks in the last round last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Can't wait for khabib Ferguson.

I think Ferguson is on another level at the moment. He's ridiculously strong everywhere. Plus he's a bit tapped in the head and you would need a train to knock him out.
    I'm putting 50 on him too have khabib finished within 3.

ASOT wrote: »

Blind hate?

He may very well end up one of the best fighters of all time.

I'm very willing to say he warrants the praise and hype if/when he deserves it.

Beating "pre-suspicious-career-rejuvenation" RDA and 17-11 Michael Johnson added to 17 tomato cans in Russia, does not warrant the existing hype.

His striking is extremely limited and he clearly lost the one fight he was unable to get his opponent to the mat (Tibau). Listen to the commentary on that fight, Rogan and Goldie were pure shocked. They called the fight as a wash-out 30-27 for Tibau.

He has 2 submission wins in the UFC.

One was Johnson - and of Johnson's 11 career losses, 7 have been by submission. He's been vulnerable his entire career on the mat.

Other was Kamal Shalrous, who incidentally is now a pro-wrestler doing WWE-style moves from the top rope.

When he encounters high-level grapplers and BJJ black-belts what has he actually done on the mat?

RDA hit the deck 5 times in that bout. Twice because he chose to attempt a guillotine and jumping guillotine. He didn't get Gleison Tibau down once. He got Pat Healy (purple belt) down once in the first 7 minutes and didn't hold him there.

People are going on about him like he's going around absolutely WRECKING elite grapplers, elite BJJ guys.

He's not. Demian Maia, on the other hand, is literally wrecking the elite of the elite. Gunni did amazingly well to go the distance but it was pure domination.

If he ragdolls Ferguson for 5 rounds and destroys him on the ground, I'll be the first on here to eat humble pie.

Funnily enough, I don't think you'll be so quick to say Khabib was over-rated if he gets destroyed.

• Advertisement

Funny for years it was thrown against Conor - "Who has he beaten though?".

Now, Conor has beaten the consensus P4P #1 at time, Aldo, near-consensus top-3 LW of all-time, Alvarez, add to that Diaz, Holloway, Mendes, Poirier.

And people are talking like Conor has no chance against Khabib?

I'm pointing out the same argument applies to Khabib. Who has he beaten? And the answer is RDA who was 8-4 in UFC at time of fight with 5 decision wins and Michael Johnson who was 8-6 in UFC with 4 decision wins.

That's it. They are the only 2 high-level wins on his entire CV.

If he adds a peak Tony Ferguson to that list then I'll be on board the Khabib-train.

Advertisement