Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Over 1m viewers could have access cut over illegal streaming"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

VinLieger wrote: »
    There is no sign of them doing so

It's my point, and they have no reason to. They make TV and provide a service to the UK licence payer. They've no obligation to make it accessible to anyone outside the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

This is probably the one little win the ordinary person has over billion dollar industries....even at that movies still make hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's my point, and they have no reason to. They make TV and provide a service to the UK licence payer. They've no obligation to make it accessible to anyone outside the UK.

Except making money? The BBC bidget is getting gutted by the tories, i never said they had an obligation just that theres many people sround the world who would be willing to pay them for such a service and they do need the revenue

Yeah, but I think it's a different scenario though than movie rights spread across the different providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

This is probably the one little win the ordinary person has over billion dollar industries....even at that movies still make hundreds of millions of dollars.

I know, right? Providing goods that people still pay for at a profit? Scoundrels.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but I think it's a different scenario though than movie rights spread across the different providers.

It isn't just movies. People are taking about TV shows but those TV shows are often produced by competitors of Internet content providers like netflix. Or first broadcast, with rights, by their competitors. If you want the Grand Tour then you need amazon. If you want the mindy project then you need hulu.

As for movies iTunes has most things. And you can rent older movies cheaply. But that doesn't discourage streaming because what streamers want is new stuff for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Some people on this thread are behaving as though entertainment content is a god given right and that they should have access to it and that it's perfectly fine to stream or use kodi or anything else.

it is against the law

Rationalize it all you like but you're breaking the law and these companies have the legal right, and some would say an obligation to shareholders, to start to crack down on people who consistently engage in copyright infringement.

Just because something isn't available here doesn't mean it's acceptable to illegal download or stream it either.

If you don't want to pay for it, don't watch it. Go for a walk or something, I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

silverharp wrote: »
    dvd? cute , this isn't the retro forum :pac:

My colleague in work is always offering to bring me in DVDs of **** movies he likes. The only thing I have for DVDs is an external DVD drive I haven't used for years. It would take me an age set it all up so that I could watch the DVD on the TV, compared to seconds finding it on Netflix, Amazon Prime or downloading it.

I keep trying to explain this to him but he's just too stupid to understand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why is this just about Ireland I don't get it? Is ireland illegally streaming at a disproportionately high level? Im sure tens of millions of british people download movies online illegally
    Stats abound on Peer to Peer traffic collapsing whenever Netflix opens up in a new market are out there.

Another factor to consider that in Ireland a lot of people don't even buy TV licenses, yet despite that most people already pay SKY/Virgin/Netflix so paying for content is not an issue. So it's likely to be an issue of availability or price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Serious question. Can you not just buy the dvd box set if you want to pay for it?

Very few DVD shops left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Some people on this thread are behaving as though entertainment content is a god given right and that they should have access to it and that it's perfectly fine to stream or use kodi or anything else.

it is against the law

Rationalize it all you like but you're breaking the law and these companies have the legal right, and some would say an obligation to shareholders, to start to crack down on people who consistently engage in copyright infringement.

Just because something isn't available here doesn't mean it's acceptable to illegal download or stream it either.

If you don't want to pay for it, don't watch it. Go for a walk or something, I don't know.

or just click on a site that has it for free and watch/download/stream away. times have changed, if the content is worth paying for and is easily availible/accessible people will pay. if it's not then they won't and that is just tough on the companies.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

oneilla wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/over-1m-viewers-could-have-access-cut-over-illegal-streaming-1.2965805

Six US movie studios are taking Irish internet providers to court to force them to block illegal streaming websites. Fair enough but 1.3million is nearly a quarter of the population. Seems like a lot of people. Helluva attention grabbing headline.
    articles doesn't back up the headline

it is against the law

Please point to me the law that I am breaking by streaming a tv show or movie?

or just click on a site that has it for free and watch/download/stream away. times have changed, if the content is worth paying for and is easily availible/accessible people will pay. if it's not then they won't and that is just tough on the companies.

I don't think ive ever agreed with a single thing you've posted, this feels weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

Please point to me the law that I am breaking by streaming a tv show or movie?

It's a hotly debated subject, and people say that they are not downloading, only streaming, so no harm no foul. But, the company that you are streaming from doesn't own the copyright to the material...So they are breaking the law, and ipso facto, so are you

Wang Kerr wrote: »
    It's a hotly debated subject, and people say that they are not downloading, only streaming, so no harm no foul. But, the company that you are streaming from doesn't own the copyright to the material...So they are breaking the law, and ipso facto, so are you

Ipso facto..... so what you are saying is you can't point me to the law I am breaking?

The "people will pay for content that they think is worth paying for" argument is nonsense. If you are streaming something you want to watch it. So you like it.

It's popular and generally good content that is streamed.

The "people will pay for content that they think is worth paying for" argument is nonsense.

It's popular and generally good content that is streamed.

Its not nonsense its been proven time and again if given a reasonable option to pay for content people will pay.

Literally the biggest player in the room Netflix is the proof of this, people could stream all of its exclusives for free yet millions still pay for the subscription.

Same with Spotify, music piracy was rife until Spotify came along with a reasonable price point and good service and platform.

There's countless examples of video games, I already mentioned the Witcher 3 earlier in the thread, which the Devs put no DRM (anti-piracy software) in it whatsoever and it still sold 10 million copies.

The reason popular and good content is streamed from these sites here is because there is simply no way to pay to access the vast majority of it via an on demand service, for game of thrones you need a sky subscription and more and more people are cutting the cable every day, for most other shows you have to wait several weeks or months and in some cases a year for our tv channels to catch up, and still then you need to sit down at a specific time or DVR the show and have no access to an on demand service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My neighbour decided to get Netflix and used it twice,nothing really on it that they hadn't seen before. They are like me and stream stuff from 'other sources' and even get the Netflix exclusives there,apart from them the service here is a lot of filler.
    Even on regular TV I don't like waiting for stuff that's already on a second season in the States yet "coming soon" over here.Just take a look at the television forum for threads on shows with the US pace.
    Regarding the cinema,I get to go rarely now so I'm more choosy as to what I'll go watch, most time it's feet up at home and 2 clicks and I can watch a movie in HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

Ipso facto..... so what you are saying is you can't point me to the law I am breaking?

Ignorance of the law is no defence, it's not up to me to take you by the hand..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Actually it is, because there is a loophole that allows streaming. Go post the relevant legislation and you will see.

No no its fine if you aren't able to back up your claim that im breaking a law that's okay, and tbh id argue its you whose ignorant of the law in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Normal merry go round again.

Blocks put in against some pirating sites, a thousand proxies pop up. Anyone serious about downloading has already got the likes of VPN's and things in place that totally circumvent this, and people like me use uses newsgroups, that have been in existence for over 10 years and never get touched.

Be a nice PR win for the studios involved, but typically, nothing will change.

Still trying to fight off the changing times and consumer trends to ensure the gravy train keeps on rolling. They want to ensure the profit margins stay the same, and its easy to paint a devil being the cause of cutbacks, redundancies and less imagination and risk from studios, to blame pirating, as opposed to the collective, intellectual brainfart occuring in Hollywood at present

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

TheDoc wrote: »
    Normal merry go round again.

Blocks put in against some pirating sites, a thousand proxies pop up. Anyone serious about downloading has already got the likes of VPN's and things in place that totally circumvent this, and people like me use uses newsgroups, that have been in existence for over 10 years and never get touched.

Be a nice PR win for the studios involved, but typically, nothing will change.

Still trying to fight off the changing times and consumer trends to ensure the gravy train keeps on rolling. They want to ensure the profit margins stay the same, and its easy to paint a devil being the cause of cutbacks, redundancies and less imagination and risk from studios, to blame pirating, as opposed to the collective, intellectual brainfart occuring in Hollywood at present

I kind of remember usenet from the 90's , what do people do on them now?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

So, in the interests of science, which is better (faster/availability/quality) - no VPN & Newsgroups or VPN & Torrent site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The Film and music industry is run on greed and with the sole purpose of fleecing decent hard working people for the sake of a short time frame of entertainment.

How much does a new release blu ray cost to buy these days? 20 euro? Extortion.

When they all lower their costs and pass it onto the consumer I will continue to source the latest material from copyright infringing sources thus breaking the law which I know I will never be punished for.

A fair price for a new release blur ray I would say is 8 euro and no more. When you hear of actors getting 15-20 million for a movie it shows they are morally unhinged so why should we be any different I ask.

The reason popular and good content is streamed from these sites here is because there is simply no way to pay to access the vast majority of it via an on demand service, for game of thrones you need a sky subscription and more and more people are cutting the cable every day, for most other shows you have to wait several weeks or months and in some cases a year for our tv channels to catch up, and still then you need to sit down at a specific time or DVR the show and have no access to an on demand service.

But I think people just have to accept that's how it is. HBO, Showtime etc invest in good TV to attract people to their services, they don't make it so that every provider can initially carry it.

The issue as I see it is that there's a certain, vocal, element that feel they're entitled to see these shows immediately, even if they don't subscribe to the providers who have produced it.
    TheDoc wrote: »

Why do people feel that movie studios aren't entitled to make a profit? Without such an incentive then you won't have these shows.
    The Film and music industry is run on greed and with the sole purpose of fleecing decent hard working people for the sake of a short time frame of entertainment.

Straight out of the leftie we're entitled to everything free playbook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I've got Netflix for a few years and it really saw me cut down massively on pirated stuff. Though if something isn't on there, I just use Kodi but tbh that doesn't happen a whole lot. Meh, I don't feel bad at all.

The real thing "they" need to address is sports streaming. Do you know how much I'd need to fork over to get access to all Premier League games?! Not going to happen *kisses kodi* Now if there were a sweet, professional option like Netflix-for-sports, I'd be signed up in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

But I think people just have to accept that's how it is. HBO, Showtime etc invest in good TV to attract people to their services, they don't make it so that every provider can initially carry it.

The issue as I see it is that there's a certain, vocal, element that feel they're entitled to see these shows immediately, even if they don't subscribe to the providers who have produced it.

Why do people feel that movie studios aren't entitled to make a profit? Without such an incentive then you won't have these shows.

Straight out of the leftie we're entitled to everything free playbook.

I'm no lefty pal. But I do despise greedy capitalist corporations who won't to keep inflating their bottom line.

As I said I don't expect anything for free. I'd be more than happy to pay up to 8 euro for a new release Blu ray or 15 for a box set but not the kind of money they are costing now.

If Sony,Columbia etc want to start fighting piracy then they should lower their prices for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

seamus wrote: »
    Would happily pay 5 euro for one of the latest movies in full HD and smoothly streamed.

Even moreso a comprehensive streaming service that allows access to all tv shows within hours of their original air time and any movie that was released more than 2 years ago for something like €30-40 a month would clean up. It could be offered by ISP's instead of a tv package of foreign/premium channels. Sure not everyone would be willing to pay for what they could access for free but an awful lot of people would pay, probably so many that there would be a lot less uploading.

Advertisement