Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Over 1m viewers could have access cut over illegal streaming"

• 06-02-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭oneilla

The Commercial Court was told yesterday that as many as 1.3 million people in the State may be involved in illegally accessing the work of six film and TV studios through various streaming websites.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/over-1m-viewers-could-have-access-cut-over-illegal-streaming-1.2965805

Six US movie studios are taking Irish internet providers to court to force them to block illegal streaming websites. Fair enough but 1.3million is nearly a quarter of the population. Seems like a lot of people. Helluva attention grabbing headline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

The 1.3 million unique user figure is rediculous , court should have asked for proof or thrown out.

Of course this is a report in an irish paper so could be entirely unresearched and inaccurate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hmmm, this is nothing new tho inst it?
    Eircom and UPC already blocked the pirate bay and KAT before. But tons of proxy websites still pop up in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Jonathan Newman SC, for the studios, told the court that illegal downloading of movies posed an extremely serious threat to his clients’ interests
    My heart weeps for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What's the legal situation anyway. I had always thought that if you streamed and didn't download then you were technically not breaking the law and if that's the case then they would have no grounds to cut you off.

I know people in the UK who have had letters from their ISP's ordering them to stop downloading illegally but don't think I've ever heard of that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Presume these are the sites underpinning the likes of kodi etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Jayop wrote: »
    What's the legal situation anyway. I had always thought that if you streamed and didn't download then you were technically not breaking the law and if that's the case then they would have no grounds to cut you off.

I know people in the UK who have had letters from their ISP's ordering them to stop downloading illegally but don't think I've ever heard of that here.

Apparently it's illegal to upload content to streaming sites or through Kodi. Downloading is illegal but streaming is not, might be only UK related but most people don't download anymore surely? If it's streaming it's an impossible job to police, websites and proxys pop up daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭oneilla

Jayop wrote: »

The studios are going after the internet providers to force then to block stuff. Article doesn't mention users being served.

In theory I guess they could sue people who breach copyright but the studios would have to find those people first I'd assume and they wouldn't have access to that information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Won't people just use the likes of kodi through a VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Somebody needs to tell the Hollywood movie studios its not the internets fault why nobody is going to the cinema anymore. They're not going because what Hollywood is currently making is absolute total f**king rehashed rubbish

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

oneilla wrote: »
    The studios are going after the internet providers to force then to block stuff. Article doesn't mention users being served.

In theory I guess they could sue people who breach copyright but the studios would have to find those people first I'd assume and they wouldn't have access to that information

No I know that. My point about the letters from the ISP's are them warning the users that due to threats upon the ISP's from the studios they will have to cut off persistent torrent downloaders.

I was just wondering as an aside, am I right in saying that streaming itself isn't illegal so long as you don't download and thus make a copy of the item?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Howard Long Tablespoon

If the likes of HBO was accessible for a reasonable fee in Ireland, it would help, but some tosser organisation has the rights to some thingamajig somewhere making it difficult for this to happen.

Same goes for Netflix being regional, it's a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The studios still rely on the customers to watch their films. It is through the medium of the internet we discover what we want to go to in the cinema or movies to buy.

If the likes of HBO was accessible for a reasonable fee in Ireland, it would help, but some tosser organisation has the rights to some thingamajig somewhere making it difficult for this to happen.

Traditional methods of viewing TV are on the way out imo. Soon everything will be on demand and you will only pay for what you watch.

That would make a huge difference to how TV is being made. Basically all those crap filler shows would be scrapped and only shows people will actually pay for will be made. Regional restrictions will be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

If everything was available at a reasonable cost, everywhere, immediately far fewer people would stream illegally.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The studios still rely on the customers to watch their films. It is through the medium of the internet we discover what we want to go to in the cinema or movies to buy.

There's a lot of suggestions that studios will intentionally leak content in order to get word of mouth going about stuff they have coming up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lawred2 wrote: »
    Presume these are the sites underpinning the likes of kodi etc

Underpinning? Kodi has nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

Netflix model is the future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭TheChizler

duffman13 wrote: »
    Apparently it's illegal to upload content to streaming sites or through Kodi. Downloading is illegal but streaming is not, might be only UK related but most people don't download anymore surely? If it's streaming it's an impossible job to police, websites and proxys pop up daily.
    There's no real difference between downloading and streaming. Streaming is just downloading data in a particular order, and is normally deleted after it's viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Maybe they should make the content accessible and not sell the rights to Sky, which is not available in many apartments.

• laugh wrote: »
    If everything was available at a reasonable cost, everywhere, immediately far fewer people would stream illegally.

That's debatable imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

The problem is that they haven't made everything accessible in one place for a reasonable fee, and loads of the shows don't air on Irish TV. So even if they somehow managed to block every torrent and streaming website, the people using them wont suddenly start paying to use the services legitimately because the ability to do so doesn't exist.

Do they just calculate the lost revenue based on number of illegal streams rather than working out how many of those people would otherwise pay for the service? I bet it would show some very different numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Accessibility isn't the problem, whats being created is the problem, and that's Hollywood's problem. Google the cinema showings tonight in Ireland, would you pay a tenner a month to watch whats being offered there? Would ya F**k

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Muir wrote: »
    The problem is that they haven't made everything accessible in one place for a reasonable fee, and loads of the shows don't air on Irish TV. So even if they somehow managed to block every torrent and streaming website, the people using them wont suddenly start paying to use the services legitimately because the ability to do so doesn't exist.

Do they just calculate the lost revenue based on number of illegal streams rather than working out how many of those people would otherwise pay for the service? I bet it would show some very different numbers.

Exactly. The only ones who lost out on the streaming of movies was the video rental shops. I rarely went to the cinema before I started streaming everything and I still rarely go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

shane7218 wrote: »
    Maybe they should make the content accessible and not sell the rights to Sky, which is not available in many apartments.

Sky are going down the IPTV route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

matchthis wrote: »
    Netflix model is the future
    I hope not. Netflix shows are mostly awful.

I hope not. Netflix shows are mostly awful.

There's one thing Netflix has over Amazon prime and Hulu, you know you don't have to pay extra for content when you've already subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pissing in the wind. Providers will just change domain and/IP address to get around this.

Studios need to accept the new business model and allow paid access to movies soon after the cinema release. People pay for the experience of the cinema moreso than the exclusivity of it. The people streaming movies are people who would never have gone to see these movies in the cinema anyway. They are a non-existent revenue stream, but one which is ripe to be monetised.

Create a PPV model that allows people to easily and legally stream new movies for a small fee and they'll make a killing in revenue. No region locks or provider exclusivity. All platforms, at once.

I rarely bother with Kodi and such, the quality is often awful or has Chinese subtitles, or the stream constantly stuttering or something. Would happily pay 5 euro for one of the latest movies in full HD and smoothly streamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That's debatable imo.

He is right. If I didn't have to pay to watch football, movies or tv shows I wouldn't stream them.

• Turtyturd wrote: »
    He is right. If I didn't have to pay to watch football, movies or tv shows I wouldn't stream them.

Obviously if you didn't have to pay you wouldn't but if you had to pay a "reasonable fee" most would still opt for the illegal free option.
    seamus wrote: »

I rarely bother with Kodi and such, the quality is often awful or has Chinese subtitles, or the stream constantly stuttering or something. Would happily pay 5 euro for one of the latest movies in full HD and smoothly streamed.

Downloading is still much better than streaming* to kodi especially with the ability to auto download nowadays so all your shows are just waiting for you to watch.

*kodi is a great piece of software in general though especially running on a raspberry pi where so much can be done in the background also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have SKY and another means of watching telly, I can watch watch three episodes of a show in 1080p in the time it takes one to download from SKY boxsets. In SD!!

I pay ten cents a day to a crowd that can get me any show, any movie, any webcam around the world, whenever I want it. Sky or Netflix or whoever have a few shows for as long as it suits them and they charge a fortune.

I have no problem paying a fair price for TV, but I'm fcuked if I'm gonna let them ride me.

Advertisement