Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Over 1m viewers could have access cut over illegal streaming"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

mdwexford wrote: »
    Netflix charge €10 a month for a ton of content including loads of excellent original shows.

Talking out of your rear end there.

Netflix Ireland have feck all content besides the shows they make compared to the US.

Were as you can get everything in HD by another means. Including Netflix shows. People would pay more if content wasn't geo locked, you only have to look at the netflix thread on boards about people recommendations of shows in other regions to see this. Pain in the hole to jump through hoops to watch a show/movie .

If everyone paid for their stuff and the studios dont get more greedy when people start paying then streaming will become nealry extinct. Watching whatever you want should be fairly cheap if everyone paid for what they watch, my worry is that the recording studios would get greedy and try up the prices again, which would then mean pirating would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

I'm a huge movie and music fan and I buy everything I want, movie wise on blu-ray and music wise on vinyl. The last month I bought on blu-ray - "Goodfellas" "Suburra" "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia" "Rififi" "La Haine" "The Big Lebowski" "Boogie nights", only modern film released in the last 5 years there on Blu ray there is "Suburra", an Italian film. In the last month I bought 5 vinyl records all released in the last year, all of them forward pushing pieces of modern made musical enjoyment brilliance which I had no hesitation paying for. People complain about the state of modern music being made, especially on here, while the state of the absolute trash muck that Hollywood studio's create gets no complaint, and these hoors want to sue us?? A boycott of Hollywood made rubbish should be done here.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

deco nate wrote: »
    Netflix Ireland have feck all content besides the shows they make compared to the US.

Were as you can get everything in HD by another means. Including Netflix shows. People would pay more if content wasn't geo locked, you only have to look at the netflix thread on boards about people recommendations of shows in other regions to see this. Pain in the hole to jump through hoops to watch a show/movie .

For €10 a month it represents great value for money even on the Irish store.

There are different deals in place in each country so it's hard to just have it all open to everyone. Hopefully in the future it will be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Netflix charge €10 a month for a ton of content including loads of excellent original shows.

Talking out of your rear end there.

I'm watching Top Gun in 2160 with 7.1 sound right now. When Netflix can give me that I'll happily give them a few euro

• Advertisement

I guess it was only a matter of time before the studios tried to put an end to this especially due to the rise of Android boxes being used over the past few years and with people getting rid of their Sky/Virgin/Netflix subscriptions as a result due to broadband speeds actually getting better.
    Ironically I only just purchased my very first Android box the other day and am expecting it to arrive tomorrow and today I hear this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not really though.
    The data goes from the server, to your machine. You may not be saving the data, but you are still downloading it.

Pointless going after the downloaders, though. More effective going after the uploaders.

I'm watching Top Gun in 2160 with 7.1 sound right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm watching Top Gun in 2160 with 7.1 sound right now. When Netflix can give me that I'll happily give them a few euro

Exactly, so you won't pay a reasonable amount for a reasonable service.

But they don't charge a fortune like you said so you were spouting nonsense.

Exactly, so you won't pay a reasonable amount for a reasonable service.

But they don't charge a fortune like you said so you were spouting nonsense.

They don't have 'Top Gun' though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

These idiots don't think about the potential viewers.

I started watching a series 6 years ago. Could get it on UPC.

Channel dropped it but still shown in the USA.

Only way to watch it now is by streaming it.

I would pay for it if they made it available (along with series 3+ of CHiPs).

If you don't want us downloading or streaming it illegally, make it available you twats!

Steam is a good example of a central place to find content that potentially saved an industry.. Netflix is great and all but until everything is available one one system, there will always be piracy.

They expect people to use Netflix and be used to having things on demand.. But when it's not available on that service, we're supposed to just sit and not watch it.

I can get it downloading in 30 seconds and in higher quality than Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ok lads how much per month do u think would be to havecaccess to all the football matches your movies and tv shows. Lets say sky did it. They buy the rights to show movies after like a month in the cinema or heck they just buy the rights to show the movie on release date. Tv shows showb the same time as in the US or if not it would be available the very next day due to the time diff. Or u could set your box to record it if yer in work etc.And to top it off u have access to all this via sky go account or sky player account all live when its live as in sport, live tv and access to your recordings too on any and every platform.

Right so guys name a " fair price"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I started getting Netflix a while ago and the Irish site has about a tenth of the content that the American one does. Amazon Video launched in Ireland a few months ago and I think they have about ten titles. There's ways around it but that's against their rules so you're still risking being banned.

If the film and television studios want to stop people illegally downloading then they should give them a reasonable alternative. There should either be no restrictions on Netflix content or they should charge based on the amount of content available. And you should be able to stream a series for about €3.00, or watch an episode for about 50 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Word of mouth is such a big thing which is especially relevant for a film hoping to perform well.

The way I would see it is that if someone goes on the Internet and partakes in a bit of continual brand damage....then they can pay for the privilege.

There's something just incredibly entitled about the mentality that it's your "right" to do it without the threat of consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,366 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

buried wrote: »
    Somebody needs to tell the Hollywood movie studios its not the internets fault why nobody is going to the cinema anymore. They're not going because what Hollywood is currently making is absolute total f**king rehashed rubbish

Precisely.
    For the record anyone I know isn't streaming superhero movies anyway, those things are so boring and formulaic I wouldn't even bother watching them illegally never mind paying for the "privilege".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I started getting Netflix a while ago and the Irish site has about a tenth of the content that the American one does. Amazon Video launched in Ireland a few months ago and I think they have about ten titles. There's ways around it but that's against their rules so you're still risking being banned.

Dutch Netflix is even worse. It's a great service, but so much dross on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Somebody needs to tell the Hollywood movie studios its not the internets fault why nobody is going to the cinema anymore. They're not going because what Hollywood is currently making is absolute total f**king rehashed rubbish

I think the upcoming release of Transformers 5 somewhat undermines your point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Underpinning? Kodi has nothing to do with them.

Well those kodi plugins must get their content from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good. But not great. It hasn't made a show that comes even close to HBO's best creations.

Stranger Things
    House of Cards

are two that spring to mind.

Also involved with Better Call Saul which has been excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well those kodi plugins must get their content from somewhere.

Yes but not from Kodi.

Kodi is free software, anyone can modify it or make plugins. Third parties have made pirate plugins, but this is not Kodi's fault.

It's similar to blaming Microsoft because people download torrents on windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Underpinning? Kodi has nothing to do with them.

I think he means that Kodi 3rd party apps, streaming illegal content, only exists because of these illegal streaming sites.

I don't understand why the movie industry with all its trillions of dollars create something to deliver new movies to people's screens.

I'd pay 50 euro a month to have all cinema movies delivered to my home. Jesus, I'd even buy a projector and charge my mates €5 to come and watch the latest movies!! They could even smoke, drink and bring in food from outside without any issues. I'd do hotdogs and popcorn for a little extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jayop wrote: »
    What's the legal situation anyway. I had always thought that if you streamed and didn't download then you were technically not breaking the law and if that's the case then they would have no grounds to cut you off.

I know people in the UK who have had letters from their ISP's ordering them to stop downloading illegally but don't think I've ever heard of that here.

If you can see or hear it, you're downloading it.

Don't know how that one is still going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

But that's exactly my point URL, the bar has been sent that low with what the major studios have been putting out the last decade and a half, the action hero, throwaway, triple x bull$hit, or the rom-com sappy throwaway bull$hit, that kind of noise only appeals to a minority, and eventually that minority audience watches it, they realise its crap, pointless and don't bother to watch the next installment.

What's this got to do with people streaming this content?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yes but not from Kodi.

Kodi is free software, anyone can modify it or make plugins. Third parties have made pirate plugins, but this is not Kodi's fault.

It's similar to blaming Microsoft because people download torrents on windows.

In my head I was referring to the plugins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

murpho999 wrote: »
    Stranger Things
    House of Cards

are two that spring to mind.

Also involved with Better Call Saul which has been excellent.

None of those come close to the big HBO productions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

elefant wrote: »
    None of those come close to the big HBO productions though.

No, that's why they earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations and awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If Primewire gets blocked it'll be a minor pain in the hole, having to load up Tor every time you look for a link and then switch to another browser to actually watch it, since Tor doesn't support video or flash.

Oh, the unspeakable horror! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ok lads how much per month do u think would be to havecaccess to all the football matches your movies and tv shows. Lets say sky did it. They buy the rights to show movies after like a month in the cinema or heck they just buy the rights to show the movie on release date. Tv shows showb the same time as in the US or if not it would be available the very next day due to the time diff. Or u could set your box to record it if yer in work etc.And to top it off u have access to all this via sky go account or sky player account all live when its live as in sport, live tv and access to your recordings too on any and every platform.

Right so guys name a " fair price"!!

It's not a monthly sub that people want to pay. It's a pay per view of content that is wanted. So if I want to watch a movie I pay a small fee if I want to watch a match I pay a small fee, if I want to watch a series a small fee. As it stands if I was to pay for Sky sports I still only have access to about a third of the games I want to watch, and about 5 hours a week of content I'm interested on. The rest is utter rubbish that I have no reason to pay for so I don't. Sky movies the same. Reruns over and over of the same old crap. Why anyone pays for that is beyond me.

Netflix I pay for so the kids have access but once I've watched 3 series in a year I'll not look at it again till the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is the problem right there.

Regional restrictions.

Like f*ck a fan of a show is going to wait a few months for the next season while the yanks watch away.

This so, so, so much.

It's entirely the audiovisual industry's fault that it refuses to get with the times and live in the globalised world the rest of us live in. Just f*cking sort it out, how hard can it be to tell distributors that something can either be released worldwide or not at all? If they don't like it, they can f*ck off and lose the revenue, simple as that.

Advertisement