Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Over 1m viewers could have access cut over illegal streaming"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

What's an android box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The Raptor wrote: »
    What's an android box?
    I think they're generic Roku competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Serious question. Can you not just buy the dvd box set if you want to pay for it?

When it comes out 6 months later by which time the amount of spoilers will be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As the famous film quote said "if you build it, they will come".

I stream my music through a Spotify subscription, use Steam for gaming and have a Netflix account.

For sport I buy the NFL game pass, costs about $150 all in but I can choose any game I want. UFC fight pass is the same.

All these legit operations seen the way the wind was blowing and gave the consumer what they wanted, and how they wanted it.

When the big studios cop on to themselves and stop trying to dictate how and when their content is consumed they'll be the better for it.

The majority of people will pay a reasonable fee to view content but the days of being gouged by the big studios and channel providers are coming to an end.

Offer your service at a reasonable price with superior capabilities to the pirates and the people will allows go for the path of least resistance. If the gaming and music industry hasn't shown them this then nothing will.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

heh heh good to see that the lawyers are scamming the studios now 'Give us millions in legal fees and we will stop this for you'. Ho ho ho, you can't get rid of the internet, you morons. There are so many different ways to get around this, they obviously don't understand what they're doing.

These poor old men are still living in the past when they could rip off the public. They must be so confused now that we have the choice to bypass their rip-off.

The lawyers will put a good dent in them with this alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Jayop wrote: »
    Traditional methods of viewing TV are on the way out imo. Soon everything will be on demand and you will only pay for what you watch.

That would make a huge difference to how TV is being made. Basically all those crap filler shows would be scrapped and only shows people will actually pay for will be made. Regional restrictions will be a thing of the past.

Seeing as we've been waiting over a decade in the Republic for TV programmes on iTunes, I won't hold my breath waiting for that. No legit means of access to the BBC iPlayer yet either. That's not going to happen soon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

Stop stealing, start paying. Stop making excuses and expecting the rest of us to pay to keep video alive.

Yeah the movies the last 10-15 years have gone to crap. Hmm what does that coincide with? Oh yeah... Internet use.

You can buy an Xbox 360 for 50 quid, it has Xbox movie rentals, it has Netflix I bet none of the whiners in this thread have ever paid a tv license either but complain about fake news on Facebook.

Spotify is a ripoff though. Who the hell thought 10quid a month was fair for a regular user? They need to offer different models for people who don't use it as heavily.

Anyway, stop torrenting, stop downloading, stop streaming illegally. There's plenty available if you'd have the decency.

I worked with professionals across the world in the movie industry. I've watched students get media production qualifications, I've watched video games survive because their anti piracy measures are better.

Movies are dead and it's because people are stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The fundamental problem is that digital media is worthless.

That's why people don't pay anything for it.

No work nor cost goes into making it, it has no physical footprint, it's infinitely plentiful.

The stuff about willingness of people to support creators of media or offering streaming services is a bit of a red herring.
    Access in a centralised location at a time of your convenience is somewhat valuable but I don't think its enough on its own.
    I'd pirate a tv show I have unlimited access to on Netflix or Amazon Prime just so I can have it sitting there on my PC and to save me having to log in.

People pay for digitial media as a form of charity at this point. There's nothing wrong with that either - it's a form of patronage which has to be adopted more comprehensively going forward.
    Things like Patreon allow people to finance things that are intrinsically worthless if you don't try and sell them until after you've already given them to everyone and that kind of system has potential to give all forms of media creators a financial platform to do their work.

People go to the cinema not to experience the film but first and foremost because it's a service.
    It's no coincidence that things that are actually worth going to the cinema to see are the ones everyone goes to (not how good they are but how well they take advantage of what a cinema offers exclusively).

The cinema is the only place I can get that size of a screen, the giant speakers and all that. And it's a bit of a day out.
    I'd pay for films in a smaller setting as well as part of a social outing, involving booze or a meal.

Similarly, Steam offers a service of sorts.
    It has the sales, it has a centralised platform for all your games, it has reviewing facilities, discussion fora, the workshop for hosting mods.
    I never pirate games, not just because steam gives me a way to access them, but because it creates value in and of itself.

Games themselves can work on that basis as well - a game with online play or other player-developer interaction can be worth paying for above and beyond what you're willing to pay to access it and that offers protection against piracy.

Copyright infringement with regards to digital content needs to be completely binned.
    It's a completely incoherent and nonsensical notion.
    There's no incentive to pay for it and there's no moral obligation to either. Why then are we still doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Stop stealing, start paying. Stop making excuses and expecting the rest of us to pay to keep video alive.

Yeah the movies the last 10-15 years have gone to crap. Hmm what does that coincide with? Oh yeah... Internet use.

You can buy an Xbox 360 for 50 quid, it has Xbox movie rentals, it has Netflix I bet none of the whiners in this thread have ever paid a tv license either but complain about fake news on Facebook.

Spotify is a ripoff though. Who the hell thought 10quid a month was fair for a regular user? They need to offer different models for people who don't use it as heavily.

Anyway, stop torrenting, stop downloading, stop streaming illegally. There's plenty available if you'd have the decency.

I worked with professionals across the world in the movie industry. I've watched students get media production qualifications, I've watched video games survive because their anti piracy measures are better.

Are you claiming that movies are dead because there is not enough money in the industry due to downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

They really haven't. There's little that annoys me as much as golden age fallacies.
    I'd bet most of the posters on this thread have a Netflix account. They have hundreds of thousands of subscribers in this country.

But keep stabbing that straw man. I bet he'll fold any minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All of the top 43 most expensive films except Titanic were made in the last 10-15 years.
    So Hollywood is throwing money at the screen, but it isn't sticking. The only non-animated one that isn't a sequel or reboot or adaptation of a very very successful (comic) book was 2012.

If you want repeat viewing of a film make a good one. If it's "save the cat" plot by numbers beat-sheet formula then it's not going to stand out.

(if you factor in inflation it's 51 out of the top 59 movies that were made in the last 10-15 years)

If movies were dead Hollywood wouldn't spend so much money would they ?
    Another factor is that TV has upped it's game in the last 10-15 years.

Sill have to get through a mound of DVD's and loads of recordings on the Freesat box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i loves robbin!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lawred2 wrote: »
    well they could rework their plugin model to only run approved plugins if they wanted to
    They could $ell it too using a typical Commercial End Looser License Agreement.

But somehow I don't seen the media rights holders offering to compensate them for the work.

Anyway since it's open source anyone competent could release a version that used plugin's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

lawred2 wrote: »
    well they could rework their plugin model to only run approved plugins if they wanted to
    prob would take an hour for experienced programmer to either break it open and allow plugins or just revert to older version and keep pushing them out,since kodi is open source thus easily modified by those who are in the field.

As someone mentioned better aproach would be centralized platform,since used to download games music for decades,but with steam rolling strong you get deals community and access to all contents be it eu asia or us,all happens at same time.music while used to have thousands songs ,now its easier just to go to youtube and make playlist,annoying adds aside its convenient plenty to choose from,and free.

but film studios seem to think that whatever crap they push out its like old times people will wait until content is released when waiting 6-12 months on most tv shows,when internet is at this stage ,and takes less then half and hour to get latest show from anywhere defeats purpose in buying any bundles or set's when whole story line by the time is released here everyone has seen it or knows it.Amazon is moving right direction where they release full episodes,but trouble is all these companies compete with each other rather then unifying into single,thus one show on one company another on netflix and click away kodi has all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I've watched video games survive because their anti piracy measures are better.

Well thats complete bullsh1t, ever heard of the witcher 3? The developers made a concious decision to put no anti piracy in it whatsoever...... It SOLD 10 million copies. Verifiable evidence that content matters and people will pay for it if its good.

Theres other incidents of developers actually uploading their own cracked torrents of their games on sites and selling more copies as a result

Games that use denuvo are actually making themselves more of a target.

Basically your talking out of your ass on this and the rest of your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mikhail wrote: »
    . I say we enforce their rights only after we cut the term of copyright on entertainment media to five years.

So everything should be free after 5 years? Is this a generational thing in which people of a certain age expect, and feel entitled to, certain forms of media for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why is this just about Ireland I don't get it? Is ireland illegally streaming at a disproportionately high level? Im sure tens of millions of british people download movies online illegally

Banjoxed wrote: »
    No legit means of access to the BBC iPlayer yet either. That's not going to happen soon either.

Why should it happen at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

ThisRegard wrote: »

English people abroad may like to use it ?

10 a month is exceptional value, that can't be argued against. I would previously have spend 5 or 6 times that a month on music.

• Advertisement

Wang Kerr wrote: »
    English people abroad may like to use it ?

So let them set up a subscription model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

Why?

I could access it by paying a tv subscription and would happily pay for access to the iplayer as i dont currently have one and dont intend on getting one ever again.

So once again now i just pirate their shows or use a vpn to access iplayer although they seem to have clamped down on that recently, but i would be willing to pay for access to iplayer on demand cus they make damn good tv, i just dont wanna have to pay for sky or virgin and be lumbered with all the other crap i dont want to pay for.

There is no sign of them doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

I signed up to Amazon Prime Video the other day after hearing that they had added a show that I wanted to watch.

Aaaand...guess what? You're not allowed to watch it outside the US :rolleyes:

So I immediately cancelled my membership and won't be providing them any more of my money.

Now I'll just have to look elsewhere for it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why is this just about Ireland I don't get it? Is ireland illegally streaming at a disproportionately high level? Im sure tens of millions of british people download movies online illegally

It's happening in England too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Skerries wrote: »

Saw that when it came out, a great watch!

Skerries wrote: »

That presentstion is always a great example to prove how bonkers the industry estimates of lost revenue are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Will they ever just feck off with their blocking and their cutting off and their DRM? Will the music and film lobby groups please just go away and die.

Advertisement