Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Over 1m viewers could have access cut over illegal streaming"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well those kodi plugins must get their content from somewhere.

They have nothing to do with Kodi. They constantly speak out against those plugins.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've no problem paying, but availability is still an issue.

Google Music covers all my music
    DAZN covers my sport
    And then I have Amazon Prime and Netflix. They only cover about 60% of my TV shows, the rest are not even available anywhere legally.
    Movies have gone down hill big time, anything I want to watch I go to film festivals and the cinema. But the quality has really stagnated in comparison to what TV shows are offering. The movie studios need to have a look in the mirror at why their profits are decreasing.

Streaming is not the problem plus they need to cop to f*ck on, a download does not equal a potential sale and loss in profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They have nothing to do with Kodi. They constantly speak out against those plugins.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

well they could rework their plugin model to only run approved plugins if they wanted to

Jayop wrote: »
    It's not a monthly sub that people want to pay. It's a pay per view of content that is wanted. So if I want to watch a movie I pay a small fee if I want to watch a match I pay a small fee, if I want to watch a series a small fee. As it stands if I was to pay for Sky sports I still only have access to about a third of the games I want to watch, and about 5 hours a week of content I'm interested on. The rest is utter rubbish that I have no reason to pay for so I don't. Sky movies the same. Reruns over and over of the same old crap. Why anyone pays for that is beyond me.

Netflix I pay for so the kids have access but once I've watched 3 series in a year I'll not look at it again till the following year.

Netflix content here is rubbish. Even for the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And anyone saying that people will continue to stream illegally should this stuff be available for a reasonable cost just need to look at music. I don't know anyone who illegally downloads music any more. Like not a single person because it can all be got for a reasonable price per month on excellent services like Spotify.

Of course I'm sure a tiny minority do dl music but compared to a few years ago where everyone did or a few years before that when everyone was buying copied cds it's nothing.

Time for the TV industry to adopt the same model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

lawred2 wrote: »
    Netflix content here is rubbish. Even for the kids.

It totally is but it's handy for us. We have a lot of small kids in the house every day and being able to stick on the kids shows on Netflix when needed is handy. My teenage daughter also gets a lot of use from it, but she'll re-watch the same stuff over and over.

I used to bother with getting the American version but I don't bother any more and just use the other apps if something isn't on the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

The problem with the likes of sky and virgin is they have dual financial streams. You paying the bill to them and the fee they take from channels and advertising . Then sky go and bib for the premiership rights and dump the cost on to the home user who doesn't even have the sport package. This was just completely wrong.

And to be honest most of the channels are actually crap now . I went free to air 2 years ago and have Netflix..never looked back. I do download a few TV shows that I simply will not wait for our TV stations to catch up say 6 months later.

I would love to see a company like Steam (gaming central for those who don't know) offer a service where you can pick the shows you want regardless of provider and pay a small fee for that, it would stop the illegal side and keep the user happy as well.Netflix are too locked into their own stuff as are hulu and HBO. Steam or something like it could be the middle man let people pick what they want ...and no ads and every one gets paid

Jayop wrote: »
    It totally is but it's handy for us. We have a lot of small kids in the house every day and being able to stick on the kids shows on Netflix when needed is handy. My teenage daughter also gets a lot of use from it, but she'll re-watch the same stuff over and over.

I used to bother with getting the American version but I don't bother any more and just use the other apps if something isn't on the Irish one.

Oh don't get me wrong - we use it too for the young lads but even our three year old has begun to cop that it's the same episodes over and over..

One season available of something that might have 10 seasons to it.. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Joeface wrote: »
    The problem with the likes of sky and virgin is they have dual financial streams. You paying the bill to them and the fee they take from channels and advertising . Then sky go and bib for the premiership rights and dump the cost on to the home user who doesn't even have the sport package. This was just completely wrong.

Virgin are very much positioning themselves to get out of the live TV market. They're focussing heavily on their broadband, mobile and in-demand offerings in the expectation that live TV is going the way of the dodo. They have no interest in running add-on packages any more when their TV subscription model will be non existent soon enough.

There will always be a certain amount of demand for live events, whether that be sports or speeches or news coverage But the revenue streams provided by broadcasting pre-recorded content are on a massive decline.

Within a decade or two we'll probably be back to one or two broadcast channels in Ireland and 95% of content being on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I suppose it hasn't occurred to them that if they just made the likes of Netflix and HBO available in full to users worldwide, for a reasonable price, then they wouldn't have such problems with streaming.

It's so frustrating to see announcements on social media about this movie or that show being available of Netflix when in fact it's only available to viewers in the US.

Do the rest of us viewers not matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seamus wrote: »
    Virgin are very much positioning themselves to get out of the live TV market. They're focussing heavily on their broadband, mobile and in-demand offerings in the expectation that live TV is going the way of the dodo.

There will always be a certain amount of demand for live events, whether that be sports or speeches or news coverage But the revenue streams provided by broadcasting pre-recorded content are on a massive decline.

Within a decade or two we'll probably be back to one or two broadcast channels in Ireland and 95% of content being on demand.

Ive just cancelled my Virgin TV package and saving myself 30 Euros per month and looking forward to the 360MB broadband. Ideally I just want a couple of news channels via the broadband but if that's not possible Ill throw up a Sat dish or find a way to stream on the TV from a computer. Otherwise I am happy to sub to something but if they don't have something in particular I want to see Ill Buccaneer Cove it for now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Considering the state of broadband in this country Id say those figures are way over estimated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This so, so, so much.

It's entirely the audiovisual industry's fault that it refuses to get with the times and live in the globalised world the rest of us live in. Just f*cking sort it out, how hard can it be to tell distributors that something can either be released worldwide or not at all? If they don't like it, they can f*ck off and lose the revenue, simple as that.
    I suppose it hasn't occurred to them that if they just made the likes of Netflix and HBO available in full to users worldwide, for a reasonable price, then they wouldn't have such problems with streaming.

It's so frustrating to see announcements on social media about this movie or that show being available of Netflix when in fact it's only available to viewers in the US.

Do the rest of us viewers not matter?

They are released worldwide, but different companies purchase the rights across the regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

and filmmakers in Ireland say digital piracy has led to the loss of 500 jobs in the State in 2015 and €320 million in lost revenues.

correct me if wrong how is that related to piracy if anything is made in Ireland its most likely on telly,not sure about movies,but there's no any recent that ive heard in last decade that would be massive hits.

seems more like 500 cast members who never get seen on screen never got jobs,since only filming thats been done would be just for location wise and few jobs that come out of it is for filler casts-vikings,game of thrones.last movie released here was mr,brown boys which made quite a profit,but then again id imagine they would made more from tv shows.

Anyway article goes to kodi boxes and three streaming sites most addons use.dont imagine itll break ground for maybe couple days until new hosts are setup,since this approach is hollywood being bum hurt since whenever they decide to release shows after year or two people have seen them already since atm theres no decent platform to watch any worth paying shows or movies up to date,when it takes rounds from 3months to few years until they are shown here.

In a sense its good business for proxy providers to get more service around the globe,while piracy issue will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They are released worldwide, but different companies purchase the rights across the regions.

Sure, but they could stipulate that the buyer must air / release on a given date or no sale. Geo-restrictions and geo-discrepancies with release dates are killing their potential customer pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

murpho999 wrote: »
    Stranger Things
    House of Cards

are two that spring to mind.

Also involved with Better Call Saul which has been excellent.
    elefant wrote: »
    None of those come close to the big HBO productions though.
    No, that's why they earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations and awards.

Well, we clearly have very different views on judging quality in television series if you think House of Cards and Better Call Saul are anywhere close to The Wire and The Sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Stranger Things
    House of Cards

are two that spring to mind.

Also involved with Better Call Saul which has been excellent.
    None of those come close to the big HBO productions though.
    No, that's why they earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations and awards.

Well, we clearly have very different views on judging quality in television series if you think House of Cards and Better Call Saul are anywhere close to The Wire and The Sopranos.

To be fair, they're all in the top tier of television. HBO's offerings are better, but with all the absolute ****e that's been produced, they're forced into the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hilarious how they continue fighting this losing battle instead of simply innovating and giving customers what they are begging for.

It will take minutes for workarounds to be setup by the sites in question if this action is successful not to mention the very simple solution of anyone just getting their own VPN to workaround the ISP block.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

ThisRegard wrote: »

I meant that the content should be made available in full worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Maybe if Hollywood produced better films, people would be willing to pay.

At the moment, about 1 in 10 films is half decent. The rest are just over-egged sequels, prequels, rehashed formulas and single joke "comedies".

People are staying away from the cinema or pay TV not because of any illegal content but mainly there's rarely anything worth paying to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I meant that the content should be made available in full worldwide.

But it comes down to rights. A studio or distributor, and their shareholders, will want the best return of investment, it would be madness for them just to set a flat rate and sell to everyone who wants it rather than sell to the highest bidder. That's the problem we have in Ireland and the UK, Sky have the deeper pockets and it's not Netflix's business model to operate the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

buried wrote: »
    Somebody needs to tell the Hollywood movie studios its not the internets fault why nobody is going to the cinema anymore. They're not going because what Hollywood is currently making is absolute total f**king rehashed rubbish

It's not even that. There are countries where the likes of Game of Thrones is not available through any of the online services or on tv. So people look for other means to watch it.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Luckily it seems most big companies are finally starting to understand the appeal of online streaming services, but things like this show that many of them still don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

buried wrote: »
    Somebody needs to tell the Hollywood movie studios its not the internets fault why nobody is going to the cinema anymore. They're not going because what Hollywood is currently making is absolute total f**king rehashed rubbish

This isn't really true, to be fair.

Yes, there's an argument to be made that many/most illegal downloads or streams don't equal lost revenue because the person would not have watched it if payment was the only option.

However, you'd be very naive to think that there isn't lost revenue.

Even on a personal and basic level, even if most people don't stop to think about it, the amount of times we say to ourselves "Ah, kinda want to see it, but I'll just wait for it to come out"

Coming out meaning downloading, for me and for most people. If such a possibility did not exist, I would likely have gone to see it in the cinema (and I do go to the cinema quite a lot as it is).

There is massive amounts of lost revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

You literally picked the two best shows in the history of HBO.

Going on the past three years of brand new shows I think Netflix offerings beat any of the big networks hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think the 'it's the TV/film/media company's fault that I'm streaming because they make a lot of rubbish not worth paying for' is fairly weak to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yeah, I was coming at it from the 'because they make a lot of rubbish not worth paying for' angle I've seen on here, rather than the issue of access.

I'll edit the post to add that.

The argument excludes the streaming of live sports too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

osarusan wrote: »
    Yeah, I was coming at it from the 'because they make a lot of rubbish not worth paying for' angle I've seen on here, rather than the issue of access.

The argument excludes the streaming of live sports too.

The argument is very simple: if piracy provides a better service then people will choose to pirate. All the stupid restrictions imposed, and stupid "anti piracy" ads etc before films - these only punish paying consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

mdwexford wrote: »
    You literally picked the two best shows in the history of HBO.

Going on the past three years of brand new shows I think Netflix offerings beat any of the big networks hands down.

What the initial poster said was:

'It hasn't made a show that comes even close to HBO's best creations.'

Which is true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, it's not entirely true, it's subjective. As much as I loved The Sopranos and The Wire, I don't think I'd personally say that no Netflix show has 'come close' to them in terms of quality. Stranger Things, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black come to mind as excellent original content. Not saying they're on-par with or better than, but they're certainly brilliant TV shows.

Advertisement