Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The worst part its. All the other countries will set the building on fire and Ireland will be locked in. I wager there is no contingency plan for an EU breakup.

No, sure we haven't even got a ministry and plan in place for Brexit yet when it's staring us in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    As we have seen with Trump and Brexit, I'd take the polls with a pinch of salt.

Saying that, Marine Le Pen will be the next president of France. I have no doubt. That will be more certain if there is another terrorist attack on French soil. Then the EU will collapse in my opinion as Germany won't want to be propping up the smaller nations.

Not something I want to happen but wreckless policy has led us to where we are today. Hold tight folks.
    There's a difference between taking polls in a close race with a pinch of salt and thinking they'll be 20 points out.

The final poll spread in the US election was about 1 point out from the result.

A majority of the polls in the last month of the Brexit referendum campaign showed Leave ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

There's a difference between taking polls in a close race with a pinch of salt and thinking they'll be 20 points out.

The final poll spread in the US election was about 1 point out from the result.

A majority of the polls in the last month of the Brexit referendum campaign showed Leave ahead.

Remember no more single party gov in the UK....

Remember no more single party gov in the UK....

Please post a relevant reply rather than irrelevant gibberish.

Please post a relevant reply rather than irrelevant gibberish.

I suggest one reads up about the UK election.

• Advertisement

I suggest one reads up about the UK election.
    I know all about the UK election, mate.

I was merely observing that your post is written in gibberish, which it is.

I know all about the UK election, mate.

I was merely observing that your post is written in gibberish, which it is.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

You clearly don't understand how the French Presidential system works, mate.

And I note your lack of figures - Le Pen is down 2 points in the latest poll.

Le Pen needs to be at absolute minimum 45% in the first round - she's currently on 25% and since the start of October has not got higher than 27% in any poll.

The Le Monde poll with a sample of about 15000 wasn't asking people who they would be supporting in the runoff when it is narrowed down to two candidates. It was a poll that took in all the candidates presented, of which Le Pen is currently in the lead.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170120-marine-le-pen-takes-lead-opinion-poll-le-monde-ipsos-france

The Le Monde poll with a sample of about 15000 wasn't asking people who they would be supporting in the runoff when it is narrowed down to two candidates. It was a poll that took in all the candidates presented, of which Le Pen is currently in the lead.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170120-marine-le-pen-takes-lead-opinion-poll-le-monde-ipsos-france

Eu had a good run. Maybe eventually they will go back to the old no war and trade area.

Yeah, and unfortunately for you and Ms. Le Pen, there's a run off, and she's miles behind in any potential match up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Yeah, and unfortunately for you and Ms. Le Pen, there's a run off, and she's miles behind in any potential match up.

We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Where's the All Lives Matter people at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

vicwatson wrote: »
    A stay has been put on the order, ACLU took it into court last night.

Here's some stats for yis - 737 people killed by falling out of bed :D:D....only in America

C3ShpWXWIAEoHEe.jpg

I'm very confused :confused:, what is the obsession with Americans and terrorist, they are more likely to be shot by a toddler than they are a terroist!
    Why would anyone in their right mind go out of their way to alienate a billion people?!? I always hoped trump was like all politicians and talked bs on the campaign trail, then while in power totally ignore his promises. The Americans have essentially given the real terrorists exactly what they want - more recruits.

I wouldn't put it past trump to nuke someone for disagreeing with one of his rants on twitter.

I'm very confused :confused:, what is the obsession with Americans and terrorist, they are more likely to be shot by a toddler than they are a terroist!
    Why would anyone in their right mind go out of their way to alienate a billion people?!? I always hoped trump was like all politicians and talked bs on the campaign trail, then while in power totally ignore his promises. The Americans have essentially given the real terrorists exactly what they want - more recruits.

I wouldn't put it past trump to nuke someone for disagreeing with one of his rants on twitter.

No one will be using nukes aside from the likes of NK or Pakistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Obama bans Iraqi refugees for 6 months in 2011 - nothing said

Trump bans refugees for 4 months to enhance the vetting system - THE END IS NIGH!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Trump bans refugees for 4 months to enhance the vetting system - THE END IS NIGH!!!!

Ashley Judd was right, Hitler is back :pac:

Yeah, you're right. I've thought about the same. The President of America is capable of nuking individuals world-wide for disagreeing with him. I'm absolutely fủcking terrified. Are you?

Ashley Judd was right, Hitler is back :pac:

LOL, Prey tell how. I thought he was in Russia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I remember criticism of Obama's ban in 2011, specifically as it affected people who had helped American troops during the invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

In what significant ways, if any, as Obama's ban different? Is the following quote accurate? (Or was it the case prior to the most recent court ruling. I'm asking about the specifics of Trump's ban)

''Obama didn't ban entry, what he did was deny access for citizens of certain countries to the visa waiver program.They could still visit for business/tourism under these new rules, but they'd need to apply for a travel visa in advance (and of course part of that might mean an interview etc. at a US embassy in their home country).

Trump's ban means if you're from one of the countries on the list, there's just no current process for you to set foot on US soil, even if you'd been approved prior to this order, and even if you happened to be in mid air at the point it was given.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Met a friend yesterday who had just come back from her days off in Damascus, she apparently goes there every month by flying to Beirut and going overland. If a 25 year old single girl can do this, does it indicate that people are fleeing persecution or are just economic migrants? Why didn't they travel south to their holy land?

Also worth noting that she is banned from Egypt and Morocco, so the USA wasn't the first to impose travel restrictions on Syrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Hilary took the Saudi money with no questions, RTÉ forgets this.
    The RTE1 coverage of the Trump story this morning had three speakers - all from the opposed opinion.
    Fair enough if it was Newstalk or some private outfit, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Obama Banned Iraqi immigration for 6 months in 2014 (3 months longer then trump) and Roosevelt put massive restrictions on the US taking Jewish refugess during the first years of WW2 to preserve America "neutrality" , Clinton and Bust both had bans on immigration enacted during their presidency and Iranian immigration was halted completly previously following the hostag crisis in the 70's. This hysteria over trump is beyond tragic , this is not a mad cap ide its been done before and he was elected on a mantra of doing exactly this , this is democracy in action like it or not.

Europe (the Franco German allience) turned its back on Brittan and the rest of Europe long before Brexit (hence why the brits voted out) , the world is not a darker place , its the same as its always been ... Is Trumps election a darker moment in history then 9/11 ? is Brexit worse then the financial crisis of 2008 and the forced bailouts ? i think not

Liberals are just throwing their toys out of the pram all together, i have to say iv lost allot of respect for allot of people in the last few months swallowing the chicken little crap being churned out by the mainstream media... the sky is not falling down , repeat the sky is not falling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Liberals are just throwing their toys out of the pram all together, i have to say iv lost allot of respect for allot of people in the last few months swallowing the chicken little crap being churned out by the mainstream media... the sky is not falling down , repeat the sky is not falling down.

"Sky is fine - status quo to largely continue into the coming years"
    doesn't shift copy, or 'get clicks' in modern parlance.

topper75 wrote: »
    "Sky is fine - status quo to largely continue into the coming years"
    doesn't shift copy, or 'get clicks' in modern parlance.

Exactly dancing to the Medias Tune , Brexit was going to be economic Armageddon for the UK , they've now had 3 consecutive quarters of growth but all the main stream media have focused on is the Brexit court case drama.

Trump is the new Hitler for banning Yemeni's , but Obama was a saint for bombing the sh!te out of them for the last two years and helping destabilize the entire middle east during the Arab spring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

For all those people who keep repeating the chant that Trump was democratically elected so he can do what he likes, how would you feel if he decided that no Irish could enter America?

Simply being elected does not give anyone free reign to do whatever the hell they feel like. As he soon found out when he had to back down on letting people who already had a green card back into the country.

He can not break the law or trample all over people's human rights simply because he was elected by idiots.

pilly wrote: »
    For all those people who keep repeating the chant that Trump was democratically elected so he can do what he likes, how would you feel if he decided that no Irish could enter America?

Simply being elected does not give anyone free reign to do whatever the hell they feel like. As he soon found out when he had to back down on letting people who already had a green card back into the country.

He can not break the law or trample all over people's human rights simply because he was elected by idiots.

i dont think you have the human right to live in whatever country you like , he's is not doing whatever he likes he is carrying out the will of the American people , the people who elected him firstly the republican candidate and subsequently the president of the United States. He ran on policy , some of the keystones of which focused on immigration and border control and he was elected and to be honest he has been on of the most direct candidates of recent times , nobody can argue they didn't know what they were voting for with Trump and vote they did.

His ban on immigration from those 7 nations and limiting Refugees is nothing new Obama did it , Clinton Did it , Bush 1 and 2 did it Carter did it , Roosvelt did it (to the Jews in the 40's).I'd rather Trumps approach to Refugees ie an ban and new stronger vetting the Holland's in france that's lead to the Calais camp . His border wall is a good idea , I've lived in southern Texas there's no minimum wage illegals can literally come in and work for a few dollars a day far less then what the average american could afford to live off. some are crossing over and back every day or every few days to work for pittance but that gets them an oK standard of living in Mexico

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

i dont think you have the human right to live in whatever country you like , he's is not doing whatever he likes he is carrying out the will of the American people , the people who elected him firstly the republican candidate and subsequently the president of the United States. He ran on policy , some of the keystones of which focused on immigration and border control and he was elected and to be honest he has been on of the most direct candidates of recent times , nobody can argue they didn't know what they were voting for with Trump and vote they did.

His ban on immigration from those 7 nations and limiting Refugees is nothing new Obama did it , Clinton Did it , Bush 1 and 2 did it Carter did it , Roosvelt did it (to the Jews in the 40's).I'd rather Trumps approach to Refugees ie an ban and new stronger vetting the Holland's in france that's lead to the Calais camp . His border wall is a good idea , I've lived in southern Texas there's no minimum wage illegals can literally come in and work for a few dollars a day far less then what the average american could afford to live off. some are crossing over and back every day or every few days to work for pittance but that gets them an oK standard of living in Mexico

I never said people had the human right to live anywhere but the fact of the matter is that people who have legally applied for and been given a green card and made lives in the USA have the right to return there.

Do you dispute this?

pilly wrote: »
    I never said people had the human right to live anywhere but the fact of the matter is that people who have legally applied for and been given a green card and made lives in the USA have the right to return there.

Do you dispute this?

yes, because that's factually incorrect hyperbole , greencard holders will be permitted re-entry as will those who hold duel passports with countries such as the UK i.e. Mo Farrah et all , this was clarified yesterday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/donald-trump-travel-ban-green-card-dual-citizens/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I've lived in southern Texas there's no minimum wage illegals can literally come in and work for a few dollars a day far less then what the average american could afford to live off. some are crossing over and back every day or every few days to work for pittance but that gets them an oK standard of living in Mexico

Does anyone actually believe the Great Wall of America will actually work?

Tunnels under the border that already exist.
    People can still arrive on boats.
    People can still arrive legitimately and overstay their visas.
    There's no way they can afford to build and patrol this thing effectively. This thing is going to be 12 times longer than the DMZ between the North and South Korea, the most heavily guarded border in the world, and people still manage to get through that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement