Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Europe (the Franco German allience) turned its back on Brittan and the rest of Europe long before Brexit (hence why the brits voted out)

nope, europe really didn't. britain simply wanted to play the victim/hard done by because they didn't always get what they wanted. all member states have the same rules, all member states discussed suggested and voted for the rules in place. so, every country has not got something they wanted from time to time. that's life as part of a club which one chose to join. as for why people voted out, well a number of reasons exist for that, all of it based on lies. people blame the EU for things successive british governments actually did. they believe that out of the EU government are going to start funding public services including the border force, they aren't. people believe that out of the EU they're will be no black and brown people coming to britain, and that those all ready there will leave. won't happen. they believe that suddenly they're will be a job for everyone, not going to happen. they fail to realise britain always could control immigration even from EU citizens, but refused to fund the relevant enforcement and didn't wish to do it. that won't change. lots more reasons as well which won't be changing.
    Liberals are just throwing their toys out of the pram all together

both the far right and far left have always done it. the "liberals" who aren't one single group of people with the same views, but a number of different people and groups with many differing views, are just expressing legitimate concerns based on the nonsense being spouted by the likes of flipflop farage and trump. democracy i'm afraid, the opposition also get to express their viewpoint. democracy isn't simply for the right.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Here is the solution to the Syrian plight ....
    [font=Arial, Georgia, serif]DAMASCUS: Syria’s foreign minister on Monday called on the country’s refugees to return home, official media reported, without directly commenting on a US ban targeting them.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Georgia, serif]Walid Muallem “renewed the invitation of the government to Syrian refugees living in neighboring countries to return to their country,” the SANA news agency said.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Georgia, serif]The minister “stressed the country was ready to receive them and grant them a dignified life,” the agency reported, as Muallem met UN refugee agency chief Filippo Grandi.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

pilly wrote: »
    For all those people who keep repeating the chant that Trump was democratically elected so he can do what he likes, how would you feel if he decided that no Irish could enter America?

There is no RIGHT for the Irish to be in any non-EU or non-CTA country.

I'd feel disappointed but a couple of things would not change:
    • Trump is the president
    • The people elected him under pre-agreed electoral rules
    • The U.S. is a democracy

You can't whinge about any of these points just because the flow isn't going to your liking. If you are democratically in the minority - you suck it up. If you can't accept it - you are quite simply not a democrat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

topper75 wrote: »

• Trump is the president
    • The people elected him under pre-agreed electoral rules
    • The U.S. is a democracy

You can't whinge about any of these points just because the flow isn't going to your liking. If you are democratically in the minority - you suck it up. If you can't accept it - you are quite simply not a democrat.

Don't know why people's stock answer to this is always we don't have a RIGHT to be somewhere.

So what? Doesn't mean I don't have a RIGHT to not ****ing like it when my freedom is restricted.

I can whinge all I like about whatever I like, that's why I love living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

eeguy wrote: »
    When you look at the amount of gun violence, gang violence, school shootings, and almost weekly massacres, it amazes me that immigration is the hot topic.

I'll say this, the US is amazing at deflecting attention from homegrown problems onto some other less important, but more emotive causes.

Illegal immigration is connected to gang and gun violence. The largest, fastest growing and most ruthless gangs in the US are swelling their ranks with members who illegally enter the country from south of the border. Latin American gangs are an absolute scourge in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Don't know why people's stock answer to this is always we don't have a RIGHT to be somewhere.

So what? Doesn't mean I don't have a RIGHT to not ****ing like it when my freedom is restricted.

I can whinge all I like about whatever I like, that's why I love living in Ireland.

you can not like it all you want but the US is not unique in restricting entry literally every country in the world restricts entry in some way , shape or form and for good reason.

It don't get how this new travel restriction or any immigration process anywhere impacts you're freedom ?

smurfjed wrote: »
    Here is the solution to the Syrian plight ....

I'd love to see some sort of marshal plan for Syria so that the place can be rebuilt. Same for Libya which had the best infrastructure in Africa before all the chaos. We can thank Obama and Clinton for what happened in Libya, Syria and across that entire region. The wars and the migrant crisis were largely generated by their insane policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Illegal immigration is connected to gang and gun violence. The largest, fastest growing and most ruthless gangs in the US are swelling their ranks with members who illegally enter the country from south of the border. Latin American gangs are an absolute scourge in the US.

Maybe, but you'd have to wonder how many gang members walked across the border, as opposed to flying from South America, or coming across from the Carribean islands, or are Americans, like the east and west coast African American gangs.
    Simply put, if there had always been a wall, would crime in the US be much different?
    Or would people have just found alternative methods to entering the country, like they do now.

The idea of the wall is great, it's powerful and emotive, but there's no way it'll actually work in practice.
    I'd love to see some sort of marshal plan for Syria so that the place can be rebuilt. Same for Libya which had the best infrastructure in Africa before all the chaos. We can thank Obama and Clinton for what happened in Libya, Syria and across that entire region. The wars and the migrant crisis were largely generated by their insane policies.
    That would be a much better use for the money. Invest it in these countries, so that people have less reason to emigrate.

you can not like it all you want but the US is not unique in restricting entry literally every country in the world restricts entry in some way , shape or form and for good reason.

It don't get how this new travel restriction or any immigration process anywhere impacts you're freedom ?

Well if you don't understand how all of this will impact on us all in the future then I'll leave it at that.

My argument was how would we feel if it was us and others argue that we'd have to take it lying down. I for one would not take it lying down.

If you're willing to sure that's grand for you. For people who live in there own little bubble in Ireland and couldn't care less about the rest of the world of course it's fine. Usually the type of people who don't go out of their own county much.

In all honesty i think Syria and Libya will go the way of Yemen and become failed states , they are destroyed and dived beyond repair their economies are ruined both countries are totally bankrupt and stuck in two pretty much un-winnable civil wars.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    Maybe, but you'd have to wonder how many gang members walked across the border, as opposed to flying from South America, or coming across from the Carribean islands, or are Americans, like the east and west coast African American gangs.
    Simply put, if there had always been a wall, would crime in the US be much different?
    Or would people have just found alternative methods to entering the country, like they do now.

The idea of the wall is great, it's powerful and emotive, but there's no way it'll actually work in practice.

That would be a much better use for the money. Invest it in these countries, so that people have less reason to emigrate.

It will work in practice if it is properly patrolled. It will be good for Mexico too. Finally the Mexican authorities might be able to get a grip on large swathes of the north of that country which are basically completely controlled by cartels whose criminal empires rely on a porous border.

Well if you don't understand how all of this will impact on us all in the future then I'll leave it at that.

My argument was how would we feel if it was us and others argue that we'd have to take it lying down. I for one would not take it lying down.

If you're willing to sure that's grand for you. For people who live in there own little bubble in Ireland and couldn't care less about the rest of the world of course it's fine. Usually the type of people who don't go out of their own county much.

but already Irish people can be be rejected for via's to move to and live in places like Australia , Canada and the US , a friend of mine was rejected for a permanent Ozzy visa about 6 months ago because he had no skills they required effectivly.

The Us have put travel restrictions on what they percieve as hostile nations (Obama designed those 7 as such) why wouldn't they give extra vetting to people coming in from countries where it is know that large swaths of the population harbour strong anti american sentiment ... look at the mess that has been created in France and Germany with the this open border nonsense , id take Trumps approach every day of the week ,twice on sundays over what the French , Germans and Sweeds have done.

This ban doesn't affect us in the slightest and until large swaths of our public are burning the US flag , attacking their embassy and chanting death to america i doubt it will be extended our way.

but already Irish people can be be rejected for via's to move to and live in places like Australia , Canada and the US , a friend of mine was rejected for a permanent Ozzy visa about 6 months ago because he had no skills they required effectivly.

The Us have put travel restrictions on what they percieve as hostile nations (Obama designed those 7 as such) why wouldn't they give extra vetting to people coming in from countries where it is know that large swaths of the population harbour strong anti american sentiment ... look at the mess that has been created in France and Germany with the this open border nonsense , id take Trumps approach every day of the week ,twice on sundays over what the French , Germans and Sweeds have done.

This ban doesn't affect us in the slightest and until large swaths of our public are burning the US flag , attacking their embassy and chanting death to america i doubt it will be extended our way.

I'm not talking about moving to live in America, Canada or Australia. I'm talking about going on business or holiday.

I agree, it's unlikely to extend to us here but that doesn't mean we should adopt an "I'm alright Jack" attitude.

Ireland could certainly be viewed as a hostile nation by the British, especially in times gone by and even they never stopped us going there. Imagine the uproar if they had?

And you know it may not be long before Irish people are burning the US flag, attacking the embassy etc. if the current protests build.

I'm not talking about moving to live in America, Canada or Australia. I'm talking about going on business or holiday.

I agree, it's unlikely to extend to us here but that doesn't mean we should adopt an "I'm alright Jack" attitude.

Ireland could certainly be viewed as a hostile nation by the British, especially in times gone by and even they never stopped us going there. Imagine the uproar if they had?

That was their choice , the American public have voted for this and that should be respected.

again where was the outrage when Obama did the exact same thing 2014 after he'd royally screwed Iraq , by pulling out early ? or when he spent the last two year drone bombing the Sh!te out of Yemen ? Armed rebels in Libya and fueled a civil war ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Random, completely unrelated fact... possible trolling.

You're less likely to commit suicide in the US but more likely to go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Rado, completely unrelated fact... possible trolling.

You're less likely to committee suicide in the US but more likely to go insane.

Or more likely to go insane and live to tell the tale. We don't know how many people had gone insane before killing themself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Or more likely to go insane and live to tell the tale. We don't know how many people had gone insane before killing themself.

I suppose my pondering hints at, not insanity in Donald Trump but how sane is the man? Show of hands for the option: 'very'.

topper75 wrote: »

Trump is the president
    The people elected him under pre-agreed electoral rules
    The U.S. is a democracy

i'm afraid the minority don't have to "suck it up" at all. while they can't change the fact someone is elected until election time, they can protest it and make it difficult to implement changes that will make life worse for people. democracy is for all, not just the people who agree with the policies of those they elect.

the people of those countries had enough of dictatorial rule. they had enough of being jailed murdered and all else for nothing. while they are now effectively back where they started at least they tried to remove the tirants and for that they should be congratulated for trying to make things better for themselves.
    It will work in practice if it is properly patrolled. It will be good for Mexico too. Finally the Mexican authorities might be able to get a grip on large swathes of the north of that country which are basically completely controlled by cartels whose criminal empires rely on a porous border.

it couldn't be patroled effectively. you would need probably half the american population to patrol it effectively. it's a vanity project.
    That was their choice , the American public have voted for this and that should be respected.

again where was the outrage when Obama did the exact same thing 2014 after he'd royally screwed Iraq , by pulling out early ? or when he spent the last two year drone bombing the Sh!te out of Yemen ? Armed rebels in Libya and fueled a civil war ?

not our job to respect it and i certainly won't respect the decisian. nothing i can do to change it but i will show it the contempt it deserves. many people did criticise obama's drone strikes and banns but of course facts don't matter. either way what obama did is whataboutery now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Being able to freely express your disapproval of the government is a cornerstone of a free society.

• Advertisement

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I suppose my pondering hints at, not insanity in Donald Trump but how sane is the man? Show of hands for the option: 'very'.

I'd like to talk to him in person to get a feel for what he's really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Anarchists have been banned from entering the US for years yet nobody protests.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1918

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Anarchists have been banned from entering the US for years yet nobody protests.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1918

Surely that law should stop all terrorists from entering the US, thus rendering the current rule unnecessary?

Isn't that why I have to fill out the "Are you a terrorist?" box on the immigration form?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Being able to freely express your disapproval of the government is a cornerstone of a free society.

And what have you seen over the last week to show that that right has been taken away from them?

Nobody has stopped them protesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

One person stopped from leaving an Irish airport according to 6.1 news.
    They didn't state the nationality of the person involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

InTheTrees wrote: »

And what have you seen over the last week to show that that right has been taken away from them?

It seems that some people are of the opinion that the president should be "given a chance", and that criticism should be tempered.

no but the trump supporters have whined, moaned, whatabouteried and deflected, more then those against trump could ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd like to talk to him in person to get a feel for what he's really like.

I don't know if that would do any good. I detest the man for what he's said and done. However if I met him and he was charasmatic would I walk away with a false inpression of him.

I don't want to godwin but think of hitler. Some people who met him thought he was amazing. Some people thought he was a tosser who was full of himself. He's an extreme example but I chose it because of that reason. I have no idea if I met him if I would like/hate him.

On a side note, I've often thought that if I were a youth in germany in 1935 would I be pro nazi? I'm older now but I can imagine myself as a 18 year old finding this stuff fascinating. Being a sharply dressed SS soldier with a huge sense of pride. I might have fallen for it.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't know if that would do any good. I detest the man for what he's said and done. However if I met him and he was charasmatic would I walk away with a false inpression of him.

I don't want to godwin but think of hitler. Some people who met him thought he was amazing. Some people thought he was a tosser who was full of himself. He's an extreme example but I chose it because of that reason. I have no idea if I met him if I would like/hate him.

On a side note, I've often thought that if I were a youth in germany in 1935 would I be pro nazi? I'm older now but I can imagine myself as a 18 year old finding this stuff fascinating. Being a sharply dressed SS soldier with a huge sense of pride. I might have fallen for it.

I'm not easily led, but I don't know either.

I suppose we can only guess how we'd feel and behave in certain situations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement