Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

He made 4 Big Promises on his Election Campaign
    1. He's gonna build that wall - CHECK
    2. He's gonna introduce extreme vetting from Muslim countries - CHECK
    3. He is going to be the Greatest job creator that God has ever produced - Work in Progress
    4. He's gonna blow **** outta ISIS - ISIS will be done in 4 years time, no matter what he does. Penicilled-in CHECK

Now let's start focusing on Ivanka 2024

Not a single one of those things has happened. Build the wall? Who's gonna pay for it? Not F8cking Mexico apparently. Most illegals in the US can simply fly there and overstay their visa, like the thousands of Irish.

Extreme vetting? Even with all the furore today that's not going to happen.

Greatest job creator? What jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Trump has restricted immigration from countries which have produced lone wolf attackers (Somalia, Afghanistan and Syria) in three countries in 2015 and 2016 (Germany, the USA and the UK).

he has also restricted immigration from countries which haven't produced any lone wolf attackers, and let other countries which have out. no saudi on that list dispite them being the biggest funder of islamic terrorism. it's funny how the countries he has implemented restricted immigration from are countries he has no personal business dealings in, and countries which could fit the list for his restrictions (restrictions that are pointless by the way) are ones he has personal business dealings in.
    2017: The year of the leftist mental health meltdown epidemic. Trump has exceeded all triggering expectations. Eight executive orders within a week you say?

Strap yourself in lads. Crazy SJWs being crazy you say? You ain't seen nothing yet.

It's days like this I wish I was back in university. All the fun I could have.

well, when one uses terms like "sjw" (which don't actually exist) i would suggest it isn't university they should be going back to, but cresh.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

TheRa wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time before Europe enacts similar policies. I give it one more "spectacular" in a major European city and that will be that.

Or Wilders and Le Pen winning this year.

We can't keep going as we have been over the last 2 or 3 yards with the numbers of people coming in to Europe. Trump has already said he sees what is happening in Europe and he thinks its madness. There is talk of him making a deal with Saudi to help create safe zones in the middle east for refugees. Hope he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

degsie wrote: »
    With Trump's executive order on Muslim immigration, his siding up with Russia and his spat with Mexico, alongside the UK turning its back on Europe, we are heading towards a darker place. The world seems a little less safe right now.

Surely warmer relations between the two worlds superpowers is a good thing. Seems a lot of so called liberals miss the old Cold War days with the Soviet Union.

Bush kills hundreds of thousands of Muslims, media don't care
    Obama continues murdering thousands of Muslims, media don't care
    Trump bans Muslims, media goes ape****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

All these stats are funny

We can all think of many americans killed by ISIS inspired terrorists in USA in last few year.

Stuff happens in every country, No need to import more on top. That's a very simple point.

• Advertisement

he has also restricted immigration from countries which haven't produced any lone wolf attackers, and let other countries which have out. no saudi on that list dispite them being the biggest funder of islamic terrorism. it's funny how the countries he has implemented restricted immigration from are countries he has no personal business dealings in, and countries which could fit the list for his restrictions (restrictions that are pointless by the way) are ones he has personal business dealings in.

well, when one uses terms like "sjw" (which don't actually exist) i would suggest it isn't university they should be going back to, but cresh.

Tell the people calling themselves that. Snowflake I agree was a made up term but apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I for one relish the chaotic period the world is entering to some extent. The only way deep seated establishment power structures come tumbling down is through societal upheaval. The Trump years are going to be horrible for the world, but the fact of his election and Clinton's loss, and its ramifications for the establishment on both sides in the US, as well as the implications of Brexit (that people no longer listen to smug, condescending talking heads on the TV who belittle them and tell them what to do) are good for society long term.

My lifetime might be unpleasant due to the short term consequences. It might not. But I feel that long-term, what's been happening over the last few years has a chance at unseating and dismantling some of the core institutions which currently stand between the people and real democracy. The banking crisis has shown that reform isn't enough - there are some institutions which simply ignore the democratic will of the people and need to be taken an axe to rather than attempting to make them work any longer. I'm happy, to an extent, to suffer through my own era of history being messy and dark if it gives future generations a shot at escaping the miserable structures we've constructed for them.

The collapse of the church as a sphere of influence in the West has had profoundly positive effects on social and sexual freedom. The collapse of the political and economic establishment could likewise have profoundly positive effects on society's wellbeing - like trashing an essay you know you've written too many unescapable corners into and starting again from the beginning. Yes, the process of rewriting the essay will be nasty especially considering you have to re-do so much work you've already put in, but deep down you know that the finished product will be far better than the first draft ever could have been if you'd kept re-writing it instead of just dumping it.

tl;dr: My thinking over the last few years has been that as far as human civilisation is concerned reform > chaos > status quo. Reform didn't work, so therefore chaos is the next best option. Trump may ultimately have been a better long term option for the future of humanity because his victory was the ultimate rejection of the status quo, such that the powers that be may be too terrified to try and shove a status quo candidate down the American peoples' mouths next election. Same with Brexit - the leading powers in the EU may now wake up and realise that they have to fix the EU's democratic deficit, and quickly, or risk more haemorrhaging.

I'm sure I sound quite unhinged to some here, but the way I see it, I'm merely seeing the possibility of what humanity's "essay" could become if we were willing to delete the unfixably messy draft we've been writing and start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

red ears wrote: »
    We can't keep going as we have been over the last 2 or 3 yards with the numbers of people coming in to Europe. Trump has already said he sees what is happening in Europe and he thinks its madness. There is talk of him making a deal with Saudi to help create safe zones in the middle east for refugees. Hope he does.

Saudi Arabia - the country responsible for creating many death zones in the Middle East.

red ears wrote: »
    “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

.. As seen In Europe and coming here.

Well, when one uses terms like "sjw" (which don't actually exist) i would suggest it isn't university they should be going back to, but cresh.

Honest question: What word do you like to use when describing the no-platforming, safe space demanding, internet policing, politically correct re-write demanding cultural fascists who have been making so much noise in recent years?

I agree that the term SJW doesn't convey the truth (social justice warrior sounds like a positive thing), I prefer cultural fascists or just cultural authoritarians, but if you have a different phrase in mind I'd be happy to consider using it from now on.

What you can't do is deny that such a movement exists and calls itself "liberal". As a lefty and a liberal myself, you know I'm not a right wingnut just attacking the left in general - this is a cancerous movement on our own side of the political aisle which seeks to place sensibilities above freedoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Marine Le Pen is surging ahead according to polls in France. That will be interesting. There could be a hat-trick on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Honest question: What word do you like to use when describing the no-platforming, safe space demanding, internet policing, politically correct re-write demanding cultural fascists who have been making so much noise in recent years?

I agree that the term SJW doesn't convey the truth (social justice warrior sounds like a positive thing), I prefer cultural fascists or just cultural authoritarians, but if you have a different phrase in mind I'd be happy to consider using it from now on.

i just call them dip****s or busy bodies depending. works fine and is accurate.
    What you can't do is deny that such a movement exists and calls itself "liberal". As a lefty and a liberal myself, you know I'm not a right wingnut just attacking the left in general - this is a cancerous movement on our own side of the political aisle which seeks to place sensibilities above freedoms.

i have never denied the movement exists. however as i don't agree with them i simply ignore them and get on with my life. they won't convince me of their way of thinking so i ignore their nonsense.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i have never denied the movement exists. however as i don't agree with them i simply ignore them and get on with my life. they won't convince me of their way of thinking so i ignore their nonsense.

It's hard to when you meet them for example. My partner was surrounded by these lot yes campaigning. They became very aggressive when she would not tell them what way she was voting. They seemed to virtue signal off each other and ramp up the language to out do each other. She came home crying. The worst thing was it was a group of 5 women attacking another woman.

Just to add she was firm yes supported before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

It's hard to when you meet them for example. My partner was surrounded by these lot yes campaigning. They became very aggressive when she would not tell them what way she was voting. They seemed to virtue signal off each other and ramp up the language to out do each other. She came home crying. The worst thing was it was a group of 5 women attacking another woman.

Just to add she was firm yes supported before that.
    Sure that happened. :D

Still using your tired old nonsense cliches as well, I see. :D

Marine Le Pen is surging ahead according to polls in France. That will be interesting. There could be a hat-trick on the cards.
    Or, to put it another way, she's currently absolutely miles behind where she needs to be to win.

Sure that happened. :D

Still using your tired old nonsense cliches as well, I see. :D

Aye, when the narrative does not fit the reality.

Or, to put it another way, she's currently absolutely miles behind where she needs to be to win.

Said that about, Trump. Problem with denouncing something before the final. I'm sure we will be seeing loads of SJW crying vids again in the near future.
    Obama: Donald Trump won't be president

Said that about, Trump. Problem with denouncing something before the final. I'm sure we will be seeing loads of SJW crying vids again in the near future.
    "SJW" :D

You just keep proving my point, don't you?

You're like some sort of robo-conservative. Almost like you came from a factory.

"SJW" :D

You just keep proving my point, don't you?

You're like some sort of robo-conservative. Almost like you came from a factory.

1 out of 10, Free water ror Ireland, Respecting the Greeks sticking it to Europe.. Ay am a robo-conservative.. Social welfare in Ireland is fine would actually put it up.

She isn't, shes leading the polls, her chances are looking good. Sorry to disappoint you. It will be an interesting year again this year.

• Advertisement

She isn't, shes leading the polls, her chances are looking good. Sorry to disappoint you. It will be an interesting year again this year.

Remember Brexit too. :pac:

No we will have the no Brexit lads who mocked and are still mocking everyone probably supporting Cal leaving the USA. Cant make this stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

As we have seen with Trump and Brexit, I'd take the polls with a pinch of salt.

Saying that, Marine Le Pen will be the next president of France. I have no doubt. That will be more certain if there is another terrorist attack on French soil. Then the EU will collapse in my opinion as Germany won't want to be propping up the smaller nations.

Not something I want to happen but wreckless policy has led us to where we are today. Hold tight folks.

They won't affect your life unless people like LoN and Una Mullally get their way when it comes to restricting what opinions people are and are not allowed to air in mainstream discourse... And without opposition, this is going to happen. It already is.

I despise Breda O'Brien's opinions on many issues, but if LoN and her ilk had their wish, the IT wouldn't publish her columns at all. Do you not find that rather worrying? Do you want to live in a society in which all of the mainstream voices are left wing mouthpieces and no dissent or debate is allowed?

These right wing types are going to get more and more extreme if their voices and opinions continue to be unreasonably demonised and silenced. Mark my words - from the man who predicted both Brexit and Trump when everyone around him was telling him he was barking mad :D:D:D

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    As we have seen with Trump and Brexit, I'd take the polls with a pinch of salt.

Saying that, Marine Le Pen will be the next president of France. I have no doubt. That will be more certain if there is another terrorist attack on French soil. Then the EU will collapse in my opinion as Germany won't want to be propping up the smaller nations.

Not something I want to happen but wreckless policy has led us to where we are today. Hold tight folks.

The worst part its. All the other countries will set the building on fire and Ireland will be locked in. I wager there is no contingency plan for an EU breakup.

You clearly don't understand how the French Presidential system works, mate.

And I note your lack of figures - Le Pen is down 2 points in the latest poll.

Le Pen needs to be at absolute minimum 45% in the first round - she's currently on 25% and since the start of October has not got higher than 27% in any poll.

Remember Brexit too. :pac:

No we will have the no Brexit lads who mocked and are still mocking everyone probably supporting Cal leaving the USA. Cant make this stuff up.

You would think they would be delighted at the prospect of France having a female president for the first time ;)

You clearly don't understand how the French Presidential system works, mate.

And I note your lack of figures - Le Pen is down 2 points in the latest poll.

Le Pen needs to be at absolute minimum 45% in the first round - she's currently on 25% and since the start of October has not got higher than 27% in any poll.

Then Germany was Attacked. Would not cling to the polls.

1 out of 10, Free water ror Ireland, Respecting the Greeks sticking it to Europe.. Ay am a robo-conservative.. Social welfare in Ireland is fine would actually put it up.

And you swallow the alt-right (far right) dictionary whole.

You would think they would be delighted at the prospect of France having a female president for the first time ;)

it's frys their Brain Anti Islam platform.... Woman President Feminist too if I recall.

• Advertisement

And you swallow the alt-right (far right) dictionary whole.

Nope sorry just sick of generation safe space. There opinions are scary and all over the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement