Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

COH wrote: »
    Brandon Lilly is doing a seminar in RevFit on Saturday March 11th if anyones interested...

This was deadly. 6 hours felt like 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saw parallel bars and chinup bars and some other stuff installed in kilbogget park (home to cabinteely GAA and seapoint rugby club). Some looked gimmicky but at least they did get some decent choices, and not just 100% these yokes with moving parts and zero resistance that some council installations have (they did have a few of these, maybe they did have resistance though).

The chin up bars were quite low (just bend your legs) and the ends were tapering downwards to suit wide grip pullups.

Not sure when they were put in, good to see people were using them, not just kids pricking about, and they are not as far apart as the ones in cabinteely park. They are located around this area, just beside the path
    https://goo.gl/maps/st3CgMKNAiQ2

Near the rubgy club there is a 40ft container with pullup bars on it, also in the carpark there is a railing which has a V shape where it meets at 90 degrees which is good for dips. There is a playground which can be full of kids in daytime, and full of drinking kids at night time -but in early morning or evening you could go in. It has really high bars that could be for chinups or muscleups if able. There are monkey bars that go in an arc.

_big_Kilbogget_Park1.jpg

in this link the "dip railing" is near the disabled parking space at the top, and the row of chinup bars are on the blue containers at the bottom.
    https://goo.gl/maps/x3iFAto9N1F2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

This was deadly. 6 hours felt like 2.

That's alot of time to talk. What kind of stuff did he cover? Was it all theory or did he get everyone out lifting too?

That's alot of time to talk. What kind of stuff did he cover? Was it all theory or did he get everyone out lifting too?

There was probably a little over 2.5 hours of lifting I'd say. Went through all 3 lifts and watched everyone do each one and gave tips on improving.

Just went through all the important elements that tie in with training, different strategies and a lot of Q&A.

Tom Martin with a 957.5kg total at 108kg.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRlAIz2BPeM/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Tom Martin with a 957.5kg total at 108kg.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRlAIz2BPeM/

About a year ago I posted a question about deadlifting on a Strongman and powerlifting site and much to my surprise one of the first people to answer the question was Tom Martin.
    It pretty cool when people of that level are happy to pass on knowledge and experience and for free also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Boardsie on The Last Word with Matt Cooper on Today FM right now talking about steroids!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Boardsie on The Last Word with Matt Cooper on Today FM right now talking about steroids!

Who?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who?

Dominic Munnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

What are peoples opinions on the humble spud as a carbohydrate source?

I had someone telling me yesterday that when looking to get lean its not great due to how the body processes potatoes, and that rice is a much better carb source for reducing bodyfat....... Sounded like a bit of broscience to be honest but then I was thinking, you wouldn't see too many bodybuilders/athletes etc eating spuds!

Is there any truth to it? Or is it just that your less likely to put butter & salt on your rice?! :D

• Advertisement

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on the humble spud as a carbohydrate source?

I had someone telling me yesterday that when looking to get lean its not great due to how the body processes potatoes, and that rice is a much better carb source for reducing bodyfat....... Sounded like a bit of broscience to be honest but then I was thinking, you wouldn't see too many bodybuilders/athletes etc eating spuds!

Is there any truth to it? Or is it just that your less likely to put butter & salt on your rice?! :D

Nothing wrong with spuds.

The problem is where people put far too many f then into their face hole.

Nothing wrong with spuds.

The problem is where people put far too many f then into their face hole.

I was thinking that alright, the sketchy reasoning of our bodies preferring rice seemed abit mad!

I suppose you should take everything you hear in the gym with a pinch of salt...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,137 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sound so like a lot ad of balls.
    Spuds are probably considerably better than rice when cutting weight as they are nearly as carb/energy dense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of fitness people think eating a 'normal' potato will practically make you obese overnight, but if it's sweet potato, go ahead and fill up the plate because it's 'clean'. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Spuds are grand. Just not loads of spuds. Sweet potatoes are better as they as lower GI.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

From a bit of googling, the satiety of spuds looks pretty good, guess I won't be cutting them out!

http://sigmanutrition.com/how-do-you-avoid-overeating-without-counting-calories/

satiety-index-1024x547.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Brian? wrote: »
    Spuds are grand. Just not loads of spuds. Sweet potatoes are better as they as lower GI.

But sweet potatoes are actually slightly higher in calories per 100g I believe so if weightloss is your goal, normal potatoes might be better. Also you would generally be having sweet potatoes or potatoes with a protein source so the GI is less relevant, as the GI of the meal would probably be similar enough.

I would view them both broadly the same tbh, but can't understand the obsession a lot of people have with sweet potato, but who demonise a normal spud (not directed at you Brian in any way - a general point :))

But sweet potatoes are actually slightly higher in calories per 100g I believe so if weightloss is your goal, normal potatoes might be better. Also you would generally be having sweet potatoes or potatoes with a protein source so the GI is less relevant, as the GI of the meal would probably be similar enough.

I would view them both broadly the same tbh, but can't understand the obsession a lot of people have with sweet potato, but who demonise a normal spud (not directed at you Brian in any way - a general point :))

But if you're counting calories for weight loss the kcals/100g can easily be factored in. But yeah, I don't understand why spuds are frowned upon so often. They're grand.

they/them/theirs

It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of fitness people think eating a 'normal' potato will practically make you obese overnight, but if it's sweet potato, go ahead and fill up the plate because it's 'clean'. :confused:
    Sweet potatoes were a little bit niche a few years ago. The trendiness of that, plus GI, Paleo, and a few other pushing them lead to superfood status.

They also got tarnished by being "white" carbs along with white rice and bread. The criticise of white rice/bread/pasta is incredibly weak (difference discussion) but lumping white potatoes in with them is dumb imo.
    They are only lower GI when raw.
    When baked starches in a sweet potato convert to sugars, and the GI increases to 94. Which is pretty high.

Mellor wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes were a little bit niche a few years ago. The trendiness of that, plus GI, Paleo, and a few other pushing them lead to superfood status.

They also got tarnished by being "white" carbs along with white rice and bread. The criticise of white rice/bread/pasta is incredibly weak (difference discussion) but lumping white potatoes in with them is dumb imo.
    They are only lower GI when raw.
    When baked starches in a sweet potato convert to sugars, and the GI increases to 94. Which is pretty high.

Didn't know that! Thanks.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Didn't know that! Thanks.
    Don't think boiled/mashed or fried increases as much.
    So, twice cooked fries for dinner :P.

Food is odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Have a quick question. Which would be considered my PR at squats

115kg x 5 reps or
    100kg x 8reps

I was under the impression that 115 was because it's the heavier weight. But the one rep max calculator for both puts the 100kg lift higher. Roughly 134kg and 142kg (can't remember exactly figures now)

*****(ignore this post. Had the wrong figures in the calculation!!!)*****

In any case, one would be your 8RM and the other your 5RM.

Calculators might give a rough idea but they don't necessarily mean you will hit the 1RM it gives you.

So they're both PRs. One for 5 reps and one for 8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ugh there's parades on blocking my gym route today

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

bluewolf wrote: »
    Thank you!!! Living abroad and have to work today, just watched the Irish ladies in the 72kg squats and 63kg bench, they made me all kinds of proud :)

And St Patrick is the patron saint of Iron an' all!

You should be lorrying pints and gambling on horses anyway.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I skipped my usual gym session last night and I'm regretting it now
    Ah well I'll go in the morning sure

Omg there is actually a guy curling in the squat rack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Omg there is actually a guy curling in the squat rack

I've given out to people for doing that in the past. Totally justified but, to them, I looked like a psychopath, I'm sure...

Advertisement