Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Unreal leg DOMS last night and this morning from Friday morning's leg session so have abandoned today's leg session. The guilt has set in though :( I know training with DOMS is grand afaik, so part of me is still saying "suck it up lightweight" and another part is saying, the bar will still be there tomorrow, sure it probably wouldn't be a great session anyway :D

Been ages since I got DOMS this bad so I can't figure it out - haven't changed my routine or anything (normally do legs twice a week as well so there's not a long gap - last did them on Tuesday). Strange one - the only thing I can think of is a bit of higher volume on squats as I restarted back at 70% after working at 90%+ the past few weeks but wouldn't have thought that would cause such an effect by itself? Have stopped foam rolling the past few months so maybe I should get back into that? :confused:

Normally I train with "nice" DOMS (a bit of general soreness) no bother, but do most people just suck up the barely-able-to-walk DOMS and train through it? Does it interfere with recovery at all? (I am clearly just looking for an excuse/justification to make myself feel better : D)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you haven't changed much bar up the volume then it's time to suck it up. You'll probably be grand once you start moving. Take a bit longer to warm up, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Uggghhh, thanks Alf. That really wasn't what I wanted to hear :pac::pac::D

Am wavering and will see how I feel after another coffee I think...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I find by the time I've gotten through warm up stretches the pain is usually nearly gone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Unreal leg DOMS last night and this morning from Friday morning's leg session so have abandoned today's leg session. The guilt has set in though :( I know training with DOMS is grand afaik, so part of me is still saying "suck it up lightweight" and another part is saying, the bar will still be there tomorrow, sure it probably wouldn't be a great session anyway :D

Been ages since I got DOMS this bad so I can't figure it out - haven't changed my routine or anything (normally do legs twice a week as well so there's not a long gap - last did them on Tuesday). Strange one - the only thing I can think of is a bit of higher volume on squats as I restarted back at 70% after working at 90%+ the past few weeks but wouldn't have thought that would cause such an effect by itself? Have stopped foam rolling the past few months so maybe I should get back into that? :confused:

Normally I train with "nice" DOMS (a bit of general soreness) no bother, but do most people just suck up the barely-able-to-walk DOMS and train through it? Does it interfere with recovery at all? (I am clearly just looking for an excuse/justification to make myself feel better : D)

Higher volume always destroys me with DOMS. I train using the westside template, very little DOMS after the max effort day and horrible DOMS after the dynamic effort day. The DE day is 8x3 at 60% of my 1RM, which sounds like a walk in the park but is horrendous on the last 2 sets.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Should I have hamstring Doms after front squats?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Should I have hamstring Doms after front squats?

Not really. What else did you do in the same session?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Not really. What else did you do in the same session?

Back squats, leg press, leg extensions. Front squats are the only new ones I added in so I thought they were the culprit

Just checking the doms are more located to the insides of the leg on the hamstrings

Adductor Magnus I think the doms are coming from

Quick question: did the squats feel good, move well?

• Advertisement

Quick question: did the squats feel good, move well?

Ye they felt grand. Last couple of reps on the last set were a push but overall good. I just thought the extra dept I was getting in the front squats was working something extra in my hamstrings

Ye they felt grand. Last couple of reps on the last set were a push but overall good. I just thought the extra dept I was getting in the front squats was working something extra in my hamstrings

It won't have been down to front squats. The load being in front means the hamstrings will be less taut so you can get more depth.

Adductors make more sense and it's not unusual, especially with higher volume.

Adductor Magnus I think the doms are coming from

Adductor Magnus sounds like an Icelandic strongman.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Adductor Magnus sounds like an Icelandic strongman.

Factoid: there actually was a Norwegian called Magnus Aduktor, who came third begind John Pall Sigmarsson in WSM in 1990

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How much salt is too little do ye reckon? I can't find anything useful on google

bluewolf wrote: »
    How much salt is too little do ye reckon? I can't find anything useful on google

Over a day?

Over a day?

Yeah
    I'm just curious - MFP has 2500mg as my recommended daily amount. Some days I go as low as 300mg and today is still less than half even though I had salty crisps
    So I was wondering where that number comes from and if there is a too low

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah
    I'm just curious - MFP has 2500mg as my recommended daily amount. Some days I go as low as 300mg and today is still less than half even though I had salty crisps

Is that salt or sodium?
    In the free version of the MFP app that I have, it's sodium that you enter, not salt. So 2,500mg of sodium is 6,348mg of salt.

Is that salt or sodium?
    In the free version of the MFP app that I have, it's sodium that you enter, not salt. So 2,500mg of sodium is 6,348mg of salt.

That's sodium, sorry for being unclear. 2,300mg sodium is the "goal" in the app and other figures I mentioned are sodium also.

That's sodium, sorry for being unclear. 2,300mg sodium is the "goal" in the app and other figures I mentioned are sodium also.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spGHEnE0S-Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR4QuP1hFwj/

Joe Sullivan squats 865x1

Around 392kg for us normal people

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you have an health issue that benefits from reduced salt (like high blood pressure). Then going low is probably best sub 2000mg or even 1500.
    But if you are healthy, then there's probably no need to restrict it. 2500mg is prob fine. I add salt when cooking all the time.
    Yeah
    Be wary of taking the MFP number as concrete.
    It's been a while since I used the app, but when I was a lot of foods only had info for calories and PFC. If data was missing it was counted as 0mg. So if the sodium was missing, your daily total would under report.

It's very hard to get any of the health bodies to recommend an optimal sodium intake. But I'd guess that 300mg or anything close to 0 is sub-optimal.
    I've done zero sodium (or as close as I could) for a week and it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mellor wrote: »
    Be wary of taking the MFP number as concrete.
    It's been a while since I used the app, but when I was a lot of foods only had info for calories and PFC. If data was missing it was counted as 0mg. So if the sodium was missing, your daily total would under report.

Just to echo what Mellor has said.
    I've been using MFP for a few years now and from my experience for foods that are that in their database, it's most likely the sodium values are either just left blank (i.e. 0mg) or else the value for salt has been entered instead. So I'd be very mindful if you are tracking your sodium/salt intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Salt tastes good in food for a reason.

Article here from a controversial Scottish doctor which is worth a read ( I love the chloride angle)

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2014/05/13/salt-is-good-for-you/

If you eat a diet based primarily of wholefoods it's pretty difficult to overconsume salt; that's with liberal sprinkling in kitchen

I knew Danny Lennon had something on it

http://sigmanutrition.com/saltscience/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Probably not the best plcr, but the search function on the app isnt my friend and couldn't find the critique my form thread.

Recently back lifting after a 6 month hiatus.

Below are the last two of five sets of triples.

Any comments on form are welcome.

https://vimeo.com/209822378

https://vimeo.com/209822338

Hi, 

I Suggest you go for natural way or any supplement which ingredients should be natural.

Thank You

Wtf are you talking about?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Probably not the best plcr, but the search function on the app isnt my friend and couldn't find the critique my form thread.

Recently back lifting after a 6 month hiatus.

Below are the last two of five sets of triples.

Any comments on form are welcome.

https://vimeo.com/209822378

https://vimeo.com/209822338

How close are you to your 3rm there?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'd say if pushing I could go to 110 maybe 115, I'm only back 3 sessions after 6 months away so haven't gotten to testing any limits yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Deadlifting today, a Monday is obviously not ideal. Last Monday I pulled a triple instead of 5x.
    Trying to counter mondayness with a optimal Deadlift breakfast. Suggestions?
    Please no squats breakfast suggestions, that's Wednesday

• Advertisement

Porridge and monster

Advertisement