Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

VW 1 wrote: »
    I went from squatting to deadlifting while still wearing my adipowers last week, without noticing until after. They were relatively comfortable for deadlifting in.

Anyone else take that approach?

Clarence.

You're in good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Start wearing a wristwatch and stop using a belt. Also stop eating animal products. You'll be making everyone who watches you on youtube feel bad about themselves in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

VW 1 wrote: »
    I went from squatting to deadlifting while still wearing my adipowers last week, without noticing until after. They were relatively comfortable for deadlifting in.

Anyone else take that approach?

I do. I always DL in squat shoes but think I'll change to flats to see how it feels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Vibram five fingers! I had them for a while, great for deadlifting in.

I stopped wearing them because they took so long to put on. Pure laziness. I'm going to dig them out and try them again. May even give running a go.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I deadlift in my socks. Am I the weirdo minority??
    And not deadlift slippers/socks, my normal sicks. I just take off my shoes and go.
    I've enough specific gym-footwear already.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    And not deadlift slippers/socks, my normal sicks. I just take off my shoes and go.

You're missing the part where someone was told to wear shoes in the gym. 😀

My preference is to deadlift in my socks, not big long socks, but some gyms take exception.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I imagine gyms enforce it due to hygiene and safety.

Squat shoes for squatting and flat shoes for everything else. It's not quite Imelda Marcos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I do too but that doesn't cut it at a comp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Mellor wrote:

Good enough for Von Monger.

• Advertisement

DylanJM wrote: »

They may well. But I can't see any safety or hygiene issues.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Brian? wrote: »
    They may well. But I can't see any safety or hygiene issues.

Agreed. Surely the only real safety/hygiene issue is the possibility of cross-contamination from bars scraping shins etc, but you don't see any gyms insisting on knee-length socks for deadlifting (outside of competitions).

bluewolf wrote: »
    I do too but that doesn't cut it at a comp
    Yeah sure in comp, I meant just in training.

At this stage I've got lifting shoes, runners, and wrestling boots. I drew the line there.
    If I ever compete, I'll wear the wrestling boots.
    I'm sure that's the reason.
    Makes little sense tbh. I'd imagine the average persons socks are cleaner than the soles of their shoes.
    When's the last time you walked across a pissy toilet floor or stood in dog poo in your socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I'm not really arguing for or against socks in a gym. All I'm saying is that from a gyms POV they are they likely reasons why they don't allow it. I'd imagine their insurance policies have something in them relating to people having to wear some form of footwear while on the gym floor.

I'm not really arguing for or against socks in a gym. All I'm saying is that from a gyms POV they are they likely reasons why they don't allow it. I'd imagine their insurance policies have something in them relating to people having to wear some form of footwear while on the gym floor.

It makes no sense to me at all though. You're probably right, but I genuinely can't see the logic behind it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Finally coming to the end of a fairly slow bulk, just looked back over numbers from the last few months. In early Sept '16, I weighed 74.5kg and as of today I'm up to 82.9kg which equates to a weight gain of 8.4kg over ~7 months. Average of about 0.3kg or 0.64lbs per week. Does this seem a bit too little? I've always been conscious of piling on too much, of which most of it would just be fat and I know the body can only build at most something like 1-2kg of lean muscle per month.

I plan on cutting for a few weeks to get rid of a small bit of excess fat before starting the loop again.

Oh man, today I fk'd up big time.
    Changing up my workout order this week, had a bodyweight workout with a mate from work planned today. Around 11 he sends me an email saying he can't make it, lets do tomorrow.
    No problem I think, I'll just do Bench/Deadlift instead...

...just about to walk to the gym and it hits me. I had oats for breakfast, disastershop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Was I the mofo? just started back lifting was using a 20kg bar with the supplementary weights, I just finished my squats and moved on to doing lunges and pause squats and a lad came over and asked me if I would swap my 20kg for his 15kg bar as I was not lifting significant weight. I felt patronised and said no that I paid for the gym like everybody else and I wanted to use this bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Was I the mofo? just started back lifting was using a 20kg bar with the supplementary weights, I just finished my squats and moved on to doing lunges and pause squats and a lad came over and asked me if I would swap my 20kg for his 15kg bar as I was not lifting significant weight. I felt patronised and said no that I paid for the gym like everybody else and I wanted to use this bar.

No, that dude is the mofo. He should put an extra plate on each end and live with it.

Unless he is putting so many plates on it that he just can't fit an extra 2.5 kg plate on each end.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

hooplah wrote: »
    No, that dude is the mofo. He should put an extra plate on each end and live with it.

Unless he is putting so many plates on it that he just can't fit an extra 2.5 kg plate on each end.

I can kinda see his point for wanting the 20kg bar as the 15kg bars are usually a narrower diameter bar, however asking to swap a bar when someone is using one is a bit much!

• Advertisement

If they were preparing for a comp or had a good reason for wanting the bar (eg using a stiff bar for deads) AND if they weren't a dick about it, I'd swap bars. Otherwise gtfo.

Oh man, today I fk'd up big time.
    Changing up my workout order this week, had a bodyweight workout with a mate from work planned today. Around 11 he sends me an email saying he can't make it, lets do tomorrow.
    No problem I think, I'll just do Bench/Deadlift instead...

...just about to walk to the gym and it hits me. I had oats for breakfast, disastershop.

You should have a steak on your person at all times for eventualities like this. I have an 12oz ribeye(medium rare) in my wallet at all times.

they/them/theirs

Cake Man wrote: »
    Finally coming to the end of a fairly slow bulk, just looked back over numbers from the last few months. In early Sept '16, I weighed 74.5kg and as of today I'm up to 82.9kg which equates to a weight gain of 8.4kg over ~7 months. Average of about 0.3kg or 0.64lbs per week. Does this seem a bit too little? I've always been conscious of piling on too much, of which most of it would just be fat and I know the body can only build at most something like 1-2kg of lean muscle per month.

I plan on cutting for a few weeks to get rid of a small bit of excess fat before starting the loop again.

Well done, great job.

How did your strength progress?

they/them/theirs

You should have a steak on your person at all times for eventualities like this.

This.

There's too much at steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

brownej wrote: »
    I can kinda see his point for wanting the 20kg bar as the 15kg bars are usually a narrower diameter bar, however asking to swap a bar when someone is using one is a bit much!

I find the 15kg bars too small and if there's not a 20kg bar available I'll wait all of five minutes for one to be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If they were preparing for a comp or had a good reason for wanting the bar (eg using a stiff bar for deads) AND if they weren't a dick about it, I'd swap bars. Otherwise gtfo.

No mention of a competition, he was front squatting, significant weight was 65 from what I could see before I left, plus he got a 20kg bar 8 minutes later. No, the approach was very arrogant, 'I deserve this'. I'm more than willing to give people weights I'm not using and let them work in but felt that he was asking for something fundamental to my work out. Anyway I'm still a bit at sea when it comes to gym etiquette so thanks for the feedback.

No mention of a competition, he was front squatting, significant weight was 65 from what I could see before I left, plus he got a 20kg bar 8 minutes later. No, the approach was very arrogant, 'I deserve this'. I'm more than willing to give people weights I'm not using and let them work in but felt that he was asking for something fundamental to my work out. Anyway I'm still a bit at sea when it comes to gym etiquette so thanks for the feedback.

Its only happened me once or twice, I was asked nicely and they were asking because they were deadlifting and the bar was one of the few for deadlifting. Though me I think of it, I was asked if they could have it after I'd finished. I just swapped bars because I was going to be a while and because it doesn't matter to me on squats (it'll be a while before bar whip will bother me).

If I was asked like you were, the answer would be the same.

Was there a reason you didn't want to use the 15kg bar? I mean your perfectly entitled to use whatever bar you want. And there's no reason why did couldn't do 65kg front squats with a 15kg bar either.

I sometimes look for the 15kg bar specifically, I rather it for certain exercises.

You should have a steak on your person at all times for eventualities like this. I have an 12oz ribeye(medium rare) in my wallet at all times.
    It wasnt a total disaster tbf.
    I equalled a bench pr,
    Added 5kg to deadlift, for 4teos instead of the planned 3 reps.

Can only get imagine the session if I had bacon and eggs for breakfast

• Advertisement

It wasnt a total disaster tbf.
    I equalled a bench pr,
    Added 5kg to deadlift, for 4teos instead of the planned 3 reps.

Can only get imagine the session if I had bacon and eggs for breakfast

I had steak and eggs for breakfast once. Deadlifted 2x Toyota Hilux. True story.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement