Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That explains it then, I am sure they were gutted they had to close so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That explains it then, I am sure they were gutted they had to close so :(

I was...because Flyefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

JayRoc wrote: »
    Probably the most enjoyable training sessions of my life happened in Pinnacle and Raw.

Never was in raw but dropped in when it was pinnacle for a session or two.

Howya btw...hope all is well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

tested today... squat 115 (+5) bench 60 with comp pause (+2.5) deadlift 145 (+12.5)
    i dont even like deadlifting??!
    and there was room in the tank??

what a day

20kg up on total!

Whoop whoop!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    tested today... squat 115 (+5) bench 60 with comp pause (+2.5) deadlift 145 (+12.5)

what a day

Brilliant. Great lifting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Unreal bluey!! *insert bicep emoji*

what a day

If you'd kept the upper back tighter, you'd have been going again heavier than 115 on squat.

Some big gains on top of those incoming!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Coach reckons remember to get the hips under faster. Honestly locked in the upper back as much as i could. Might try the bar lower as well he was saying the 110 it drifted up a bit. Legs are defs able to handle way more so gota sort that and I'll fly up

Coach reckons remember to get the hips under faster. Honestly locked in the upper back as much as i could. Might try the bar lower as well he was saying the 110 it drifted up a bit. Legs are defs able to handle way more so gota sort that and I'll fly up

I see what he's saying. Makes more sense in terms of trying to make it happen now you mention it. It's something I've been conscious of doing myself for years so i hear ya.

Once you nail it, you'll fly up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Stop hogging all the gains :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Is there anyway to find out about UCD studies that involve a DEXA scan? Like an online board or something. I searched before and couldn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is there anyway to find out about UCD studies that involve a DEXA scan? Like an online board or something. I searched before and couldn't find anything.

Dont know about UCD but DCU has Professor Niall Moynihan (him off Operation Tranformation & some other TV3 show about families getting fit which I cant remember the name of) seems to be the go to guy on DEXAs, maybe give his department a call if no luck with UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Bluetooth scales that claim to measure body fat - anybody have one and are they bóllix? I've a fitbit so would be handy to track it using a smart scale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

D'Agger wrote: »
    Bluetooth scales that claim to measure body fat - anybody have one and are they bóllix? I've a fitbit so would be handy to track it using a smart scale

I can't see how they would be in any way accurate. It'll likely just be an estimate, no more reliable than plugging your height and weight into an online calculator which itself is just an estimate.

Measurements and calipers are still the most reliable method IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It'll likely just be an estimate, no more reliable than plugging your height and weight into an online calculator which itself is just an estimate.
    I've never seen a calculator claim to estimate BF% from height and weight.
    Are you thinking of BMI?

Mellor wrote: »
    I've never seen a calculator claim to estimate BF% from height and weight.
    Are you thinking of BMI?

Oops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

D'Agger wrote: »

Fitbit even sell a body fat measuring smartscales.
    They are as accurate as any of these things can be. Bio impedance measurements through your feet.
    They are reasonably consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

brownej wrote: »
    They are as accurate as any of these things can be. Bio impedance measurements through your feet.

Depends on how hydrated you are. I got a 3% difference within 2 days

brownej wrote: »
    It's the classic consumer query over whether a snob good is worth the price i.e. Fitbits scale is about £120 or so from a glance on Amazon, I'd be looking at one of the cheaper options myself.

Interesting to hear about hydration possibly coming into it. Calipers are probably the best bet really might look into if it's simpler to get them for improved accuracy but it'd be handy to just hop on daily/weekly and be told :D

• Advertisement

Hell of an achievement by James Cracknell to earn a place and compete in The Boat Race at a couple of weeks shy of 47 and 13 years after he retired. And given the cycling accident about 8 years ago.

Article on the new Raw in Donnybrook House in the SBP - opening next month apparently (though fit out has not started yet according to the article).
    1800 sq metres. They will be offering Les Mills classes, "boutique" changing rooms and a towel service so seems to be in the Westwood vein. I'd say UCD Sport & Fitness will take a hit for anyone who doesn't use the pool much as they do a Les Mills/towel service set-up too.

Article on the new Raw in Donnybrook House in the SBP - opening next month apparently (though fit out has not started yet according to the article).
    1800 sq metres. They will be offering Les Mills classes, "boutique" changing rooms and a towel service so seems to be in the Westwood vein. I'd say UCD Sport & Fitness will take a hit for anyone who doesn't use the pool much as they do a Les Mills/towel service set-up too.

Yeah they'd said they were going high end because budget gyms meant they wouldn't be competitive as a standard gym like they were.

Boutique bollöcks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Yeah they'd said they were going high end because budget gyms meant they wouldn't be competitive as a standard gym like they were.

Boutique bollöcks.

Keep an eye on instagram 'celebs' suddenly going there and sharing videos/stories on it.

Caliden wrote: »
    Keep an eye on instagram 'celebs' suddenly going there and sharing videos/stories on it.

I presume Rob Lipsett will be anyway...he seems to have something to do with Raw.

I don't follow and IG celebs though so I'll be spared the amazing stories.

I just want a gym that's a gym...with half decent equipment and a scattering of sound people. Towel service, steam rooms, cleansing your chakras...not for me.

Let my form slip during leg press this morning, brought my head too far forward for a set and my breathing was off, so I pulled or strained a muscle in my neck. Got a really bad tension headache straight away. That's gone but left in a lot of discomfort now.

Icing it as we speak and took an anti-inflammatory. Dreading the day ahead in an office chair without neck support, it's not so bad lieing down at the moment.

Half tempted to get a neck brace for the day but would look like a right goon.

Let my form slip during leg press this morning, brought my head too far forward for a set and my breathing was off, so I pulled or strained a muscle in my neck. Got a really bad tension headache straight away. That's gone but left in a lot of discomfort now.

Icing it as we speak and took an anti-inflammatory. Dreading the day ahead in an office chair without neck support, it's not so bad lieing down at the moment.

Half tempted to get a neck brace for the day but would look like a right goon.
    Tension headache sounds like a dose sorry to hear it. I'd have thought heat would be the best for a neck based injury given it's likely muscular but whatever gives you relief

Tried to do a muscle up myself this morning because the gym was empty and I've been doing well enough on pull ups lately....turns out that doesn't necessarily translate to immediate ability to do muscle ups and I've tweaked my neck a bit. Have one of those microwaveable packs on the neck as I've to study today so stuck at the desk.

I recommend one of these things also, they're handy for working out kinks, have been very handy for me prior to going for a run for loosening out my back. I know it looks ridiculous but it does provide relief

Dunnes in Sandyford have the new Chocolate Peanut Butter Fulfil bars.

Dangerously, dangerously delicious.

I got one of those new fulfil bars today, will try it soon.

Fitbit reckons 2 hours of beat saber burned 700kcal this morning and 90 mins burned another 600 this evening. I think it's a bit confused

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I got one of those new fulfil bars today, will try it soon.

Fitbit reckons 2 hours of beat saber burned 700kcal this morning and 90 mins burned another 600 this evening. I think it's a bit confused

What flavour?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement