Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The chocolate peanut butter one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »

Deadly. Sounds savage.

Very hard to find Fulfil bars here, hard to go to Holland and Barrett.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Brian? wrote: »
    Deadly. Sounds savage.
    They are :) though I still kinda prefer the peanut caramel bar.
    Very hard to find Fulfil bars here, hard to go to Holland and Barrett.

Circle K have them, often on special. (not sure where you're at tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Seems to be a €2 offer on Fulfil bars in some places the last few days. Local Spar has them. Saw a poster for the same somewhere else as well but can't remember.

Neither useful to Brian? as I think he's out fordin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hell of an achievement by James Cracknell to earn a place and compete in The Boat Race at a couple of weeks shy of 47 and 13 years after he retired. And given the cycling accident about 8 years ago.

he has some cv of completing amazing feats. The marathon de sable and trek to the North Pole were great to watch.

• Advertisement

he has some cv of completing amazing feats. The marathon de sable and trek to the North South Pole were great to watch.

True. I just thought it was mental that he could get himself to a level of fitness to earn himself a seat. But yeah some collection of achievements

bladespin wrote: »
    They are :) though I still kinda prefer the peanut caramel bar.

Circle K have them, often on special. (not sure where you're at tho)

Eindhoven in the Netherlands. But thanks :)

they/them/theirs

Seems to be a €2 offer on Fulfil bars in some places the last few days. Local Spar has them. Saw a poster for the same somewhere else as well but can't remember.

Neither useful to Brian? as I think he's out fordin.

Can’t get a fulfill bar, but there’s a man selling soup from a cargo bike in my estate. He rings a bell and roars “Soup!” Repeatedly. It’s definitely the weirdest thing about living here. Some people thing it’s the drugs and the hookers, but it’s actually the soup man.

Today is pumpkin or tomato.

they/them/theirs

Can’t get a fulfill bar, but there’s a man selling soup from a cargo bike in my estate. He rings a bell and roars “Soup!” Repeatedly. It’s definitely the weirdest thing about living here. Some people thing it’s the drugs and the hookers, but it’s actually the soup man.

Today is pumpkin or tomato.

Is it protein soup though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Got to try the new fulfil today also for €2 was delicious

Got myprotein salted caramel flavour recently and love it - really light on flavour, great with peanut butter, bananna or just with strawberries/blueberries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »

I pronounce this bar Very Tasty
    Up there with Orange as top flavours for me now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Salted Caramel for me. ****ing exquisite.

Is it protein soup though?

He said he could add some protein if I gave him a few minutes. I declined.

they/them/theirs

He said he could add some protein if I gave him a few minutes. I declined.

Couldn't help but think of this:

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Carrefour appear to be phasing out Fulfil bars here in Abu Dhabi which is a shame as they were the cheapest prices. I always grab a handful when I get a chance. No sign of the PB one but that'll be the 1st thing I pick up at Dublin Airport if they have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Wierzbicki pulls 417kg at 97kg. Beltless

https://gfycat.com/tangibleunfortunateflea

...and then 432.5kg at 98kg at a deadlift challenge

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzBWNMfBugC/?igshid=tsdr7f2lpvs

Are these kind of llifters risking long term damage to their bones and joints long term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

silverharp wrote: »
    Are these kind of llifters risking long term damage to their bones and joints long term?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends.

But no more so than any other elite level athlete who does whatever it takes to be the best at their respective sport.

Bones, probably not. Joints, maybe. But they have nothing like the injury rate of NFL players.

they/them/theirs

Most elite level competitors will likely pay a price in the long term but they know that and they'd willingly pay that price to get to elite level, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What intrigues me from a purely physics point of view is that the bar bends so much here that it's got to make the motion much easier than if there was a bar that didn't bend.

Like, hypothetically, if you replaced the thin steel bar/weights with just a thick bar of, like, (super heavy) depleted uranium, for the exact same weight, this would be a much harder lift, right?

Bones, probably not. Joints, maybe. But they have nothing like the injury rate of NFL players.

30 minutes after writing this i got a back spasm doing pendlay rows. Ooohhh the irony.

they/them/theirs

Zillah wrote: »
    What intrigues me from a purely physics point of view is that the bar bends so much here that it's got to make the motion much easier than if there was a bar that didn't bend.

Like, hypothetically, if you replaced the thin steel bar/weights with just a thick bar of, like, (super heavy) depleted uranium, for the exact same weight, this would be a much harder lift, right?

Yes. A deadlift bar has more whip and should allow you to lift more.

Some feds use a deadlift bar, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Zillah wrote: »

It's a deadlift bar. It's thinner and longer so help create the bend and generally designed to make it easier to get it off the ground. Once it's in your hands, it weighs the same as a stiff bar.

Not all feds use one. IPF uses a stiff power bar for all three lifts. But at that weight, stiff bars still have a little bend but it's just nowhere near as pronounced.

Not everyone gets more from a deadlift bar though. If your deadlift style is a grindy one with an obvious sticking point, then the bar will whip and essentially bounce up and down in your hands and pull you out of position. If you're a snappy deadlifter like Wierbicki, Belkin or Woolam, then it should help.

Personally, I'm too weak for a deadlift bar to make a difference.

Most elite level competitors will likely pay a price in the long term but they know that and they'd willingly pay that price to get to elite level, for the most part.

For sure obviously different if someone is making a career out of something, im just curious if data can be gleaned from them in terms of limits where risks to long term injury increases. I'd assume it's a complicated question, age being one factor and frequency being another.
    I saw a comment by someone recently where they said they only dead lifted up to x2 their body weight but went higher doing hex bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

...and then 432.5kg at 98kg at a deadlift challenge

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzBWNMfBugC/?igshid=tsdr7f2lpvs

And now he's signed up for the ABS Pro in August :D.

• Advertisement

I saw a comment by someone recently where they said they only dead lifted up to x2 their body weight but went higher doing hex bar.

That would make sense. They're not a direct comparison - leverages are different on hex bar compared with conventional deadlift.

People will also squat more with a low bar set up than a high bar (for the vast majority)

Advertisement