Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatoon 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Been playing this for the last hour. I'm terrible but it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Loving this even more than the first game. Bought the Splatoon 2 Pro Controller also, feel my aim is even better than using the grip with the joy-cons. Certainly feels a lot better than using my Wii U Gamepad. Mostly aim and move with gyro, using the stick rarely, with all settings at +4 sensitivity. Certainly feels like it'll be good for some local multiplayer, but don't think I'd be too interested in battling online while undocked. Will have to test that out further though to see if it just needs some getting used to.

Probably the game I miss the second screen of the Wii U most though, as I did find myself using the map quite a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Been playing this for the last hour. I'm terrible but it's fun.

It's great fun but I'm terrible... We must be twins!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    Sorry but you're completely wrong. They're online retailers like anybody else and like anybody else they have to make money, they didn't sell it at a loss. What do you want me to do, compare rip-off Gamestop's price for Splatoon to Gamestop's rip-off price for Splatoon 2? The game was available for less than €30 delivered and that's all that matters.

And just by Nintendo's own digital price, Splatoon 2 is £50. Whereas the original on Wii U was £35 or £31.50 really as anybody interested in the game had the Global Testfire downloaded. That alone is a €20 difference. And digital has always been more expensive than retail, for reasons you and I both know why.

Well, I stand by my points and I think you're just on another Switch/Nintendo bashing bender.
    You seem to be clutching at every opportunity to take a swipe at a device you don't even own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So.

Played for about 3 hours. Forgot how much I loved this game.

I was going to say it's probably Splatoon 1.5 but Salmon Run is fantastic. Adds lots to the overall package.

• FutureGuy wrote: »
    So.

Played for about 3 hours. Forgot how much I loved this game.

I was going to say it's probably Splatoon 1.5 but Salmon Run is fantastic. Adds lots to the overall package.

Find it a bit ridiculous that's it's a timed event though. Or so I read.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, I stand by my points and I think you're just on another Switch/Nintendo bashing bender.
    You seem to be clutching at every opportunity to take a swipe at a device you don't even own.

Sorry, again, you are wrong. I've proven you are wrong with evidence. And now you've moved it onto I must be on a Switch/Nintendo bashing bender again and hyperbole that I use EVERY opportunity which is simply not true. Just because I don't own a Switch doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

I've said very little negative. I think I had one quote about Nintendo and their voice chat. The World and its Granny knows it's $H1T€ and Nintendo have taken a hammering from nearly everyone over it and rightly so. Trust me, I could say a tonne about it if I was on a bashing spree against the Switch.

The only other thing in the last while I think is amiibo. Again, they deserve criticism. There's angry and disappointed people in the amiibo thread who've had their recent orders cancelled. Nintendo created this needless gimmick, well actually they copied the competition, they were late to the party. They're lining the pockets of scalpers again as very few are being produced.

Why are so few being produced? It's because the fad is over, it has been for some time. Sure the diehards are still interested but retailers and most consumers have moved on. So have the other companies that make them. Though Ubisoft are going to try their hand at it next year. There's more to it though. They put amiibo hardware in the Switch and the Pro Controller, which drives the cost up for a gimmick that is dying. And they knew that long before the Switch came out. Will they remove it in a years time to reduce costs?

Tying into amiibo, I had a go at Nintendo over Breath of the Wild and its amiibo support. Content paywalled behind these things, in some cases locking content already in the game. A lot the amiibo aren't available to buy or are very expensive. They gave no alternative to consumers that wanted the content but not the toys. As you know, I've got access to now to all of that, fits in the palm of my hand and no clutter. A missed opportunity by Nintendo.

But let's continue, the last point I hope. I want to be sure to cover everything. So staying with BOTW, I've criticised Nintendo for their DLC Pack 1. Which is really Pack 2 because they're ignoring that embarrassing first pack of a Switch T-shirt and the 3 treasure chests. But let's stick with calling it Pack 1. It's content that's been free in other Zelda games. It took minimal effort, the armour with the exception of the Korok Mask have the same abilities as existing armour. It's too late, the Korok Mask that is, it could have been there at launch. It's no different than any other item the Sheikah Sensor senses. The costumes can't be upgraded and so are less functional that others in the game. The Tingle armour copied everything from Dark Link right down to the NPC's cringing in fear. Traveller's Medallion, a line of code. Hero's Path, is also the worst offender, the game has been tracking our movement since launch but Nintendo only unlocked it now once we paid for the DLC. It's all filler apart from the Trial of the Sword which is good fun but over in a few hours. Oh and Master Mode, which was free in previous Zelda games. The real meat is in Pack 2, which they charged for without telling people what it was about. We're still in the dark about it. It's a 1 price option for all 3 packs, Nintendo know it's what we all want, the rest is fluff. I could have broken this long paragraph down but wanted to keep it as one main point.

/rant. Hadn't planned on that this morning. I could say a tonne more but that's enough and most probably don't care.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tying into amiibo, I had a go at Nintendo over Breath of the Wild and its amiibo support. Content paywalled behind these things, in some cases locking content already in the game. A lot the amiibo aren't available to buy or are very expensive. They gave no alternative to consumers that wanted the content but not the toys. As you know, I've got access to now to all of that, fits in the palm of my hand and no clutter. A missed opportunity by Nintendo.

I have 70 odd amiibo, which when you tot it up is about €1050 at retail, maybe a little less as I got some on deals etc. (obviously, I shouldn't be spending that kind of money on these things, but whatever.) So, I'd say the 'missed opportunity' is actually in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Whatever way you cut it, the sequel is way more expensive. Actually double the price.

Double the price? No.

Cheapest Splatoon 1 was £25. On release 1gbp = 1.399
    Cost in euros (because we're Irish and euros is the currency we use, and we wouldn't want a weakened sterling to skew the figures):€34.98

Cheapest Splatoon 2 was £39.55. On release 1gbp = 1.115
    Cost in euros: €44.10

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/splatoon-2-nintendo-switch-3955-the-game-collection-2724652

It's a 26% increase in price, using the cheapest preorder prices for both games, comparing it on a like for like basis in the appropriate currency.
    Yes it's more expensive. It's a larger game that came out at the start of the lifecycle of a new system, instead of a budget release game coming out towards the end of an older system

Saying it's double the price is actually sheer hyperbole, and is factually incorrect.

The game was available for less than €30 delivered and that's all that matters.

No it wasn't.

• Advertisement

I've decided not to engage with the identified behaviour now, given my role in these forums it's inappropriate and I am also more interested in having rational debates and a bit of fun on this hobby that I've been passionate about since the 70's.

Sligeach, I'm really, really not trying to be personal, and I do acknowledge to positive content you post with likes and, well, the like.
    But I am simply going to have to not react to your negative stuff anymore.
    It's really ruining my experience of this forum, I get caught up in it and I don't want to be That Guy who furiously types in multiquote retorts to every assumed insult to my opinion, which is only that, my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm surprised that Argos still hasn't listed it yet. Looks like I'll have to take a drive if I want to pick up a copy before my order arrives. Alternatively, I see that GS have copies in Dublin cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I watched a video of this last night... It looks so mad :pac:

I really can't justify a Switch at the minute but it's looking more and more likely I'll get one eventually :)

While queuing for a few games in Smyth's watched a new Switch with Splatoon 2 and BotW being bought at the counter, Splatoon 2 definitely seems to be doing the business though, if I'm very honest, the lack of local split screen like in Arms is a little bit of a disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Sarn wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Argos still hasn't listed it yet. Looks like I'll have to take a drive if I want to pick up a copy before my order arrives. Alternatively, I see that GS have copies in Dublin cc.

back in smyths for click and collect if that helps.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-games/splatoon-2-nintendo-switch/p/157681?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv96n5dac1QIVaL7tCh1vrwghEAYYASABEgLL6_D_BwE

the stock checker site isnt working properly tho, but smyths own click and collect will tell the stores available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I watched a video of this last night... It looks so mad :pac:

I really can't justify a Switch at the minute but it's looking more and more likely I'll get one eventually :)
    Life's too short, just get one :) This'll complement whatever setup you already have nicely. Like you say, you're going to get one eventually its inevitable so might as well jump on board now assuming you can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Sorry, again, you are wrong. I've proven you are wrong with evidence. And now you've moved it onto I must be on a Switch/Nintendo bashing bender again and hyperbole that I use EVERY opportunity which is simply not true. Just because I don't own a Switch doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

I've said very little negative. I think I had one quote about Nintendo and their voice chat. The World and its Granny knows it's $H1T€ and Nintendo have taken a hammering from nearly everyone over it and rightly so. Trust me, I could say a tonne about it if I was on a bashing spree against the Switch.

The only other thing in the last while I think is amiibo. Again, they deserve criticism. There's angry and disappointed people in the amiibo thread who've had their recent orders cancelled. Nintendo created this needless gimmick, well actually they copied the competition, they were late to the party. They're lining the pockets of scalpers again as very few are being produced.

Why are so few being produced? It's because the fad is over, it has been for some time. Sure the diehards are still interested but retailers and most consumers have moved on. So have the other companies that make them. Though Ubisoft are going to try their hand at it next year. There's more to it though. They put amiibo hardware in the Switch and the Pro Controller, which drives the cost up for a gimmick that is dying. And they knew that long before the Switch came out. Will they remove it in a years time to reduce costs?

But let's continue, the last point I hope. I want to be sure to cover everything. So staying with BOTW, I've criticised Nintendo for their DLC Pack 1. Which is really Pack 2 because they're ignoring that embarrassing first pack of a Switch T-shirt and the 3 treasure chests. But let's stick with calling it Pack 1. It's content that's been free in other Zelda games. It took minimal effort, the armour with the exception of the Korok Mask have the same abilities as existing armour. It's too late, the Korok Mask that is, it could have been there at launch. It's no different than any other item the Sheikah Sensor senses. The costumes can't be upgraded and so are less functional that others in the game. The Tingle armour copied everything from Dark Link right down to the NPC's cringing in fear. Traveller's Medallion, a line of code. Hero's Path, is also the worst offender, the game has been tracking our movement since launch but Nintendo only unlocked it now once we paid for the DLC. It's all filler apart from the Trial of the Sword which is good fun but over in a few hours. Oh and Master Mode, which was free in previous Zelda games. The real meat is in Pack 2, which they charged for without telling people what it was about. We're still in the dark about it. It's a 1 price option for all 3 packs, Nintendo know it's what we all want, the rest is fluff. I could have broken this long paragraph down but wanted to keep it as one main point.

/rant. Hadn't planned on that this morning. I could say a tonne more but that's enough and most probably don't care.
    You seem to be criticising a company for trying to make a profit. A company that is in the doldrums. I only have splatoon 2 and I can tell you it's worth every penny at full price. This game is damn good fun.

Stop moaning and just get one. You know you want to. Just be sure to leave your gamer tag on the forum so we can drench you in paint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Picking it up today, couldnt get down to wexford to pick up a copy yesterday. I was soo tempted to get it digitally last night but I'd really prefer to get the physical.

I know its not up on the website but does argos have it instore or should I bring the KY with me when I go to gamestop?

Argos have it in store for €62.99. You also get a €5 voucher for the spend over €50. Code 747/6046.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I bloody love this incarnation of splatoon, hopin between salmon run and turf wars 😀

• Advertisement

Double the price? No.

Cheapest Splatoon 1 was £25. On release 1gbp = 1.399
    Cost in euros (because we're Irish and euros is the currency we use, and we wouldn't want a weakened sterling to skew the figures):€34.98

Cheapest Splatoon 2 was £39.55. On release 1gbp = 1.115
    Cost in euros: €44.10

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/splatoon-2-nintendo-switch-3955-the-game-collection-2724652

It's a 26% increase in price, using the cheapest preorder prices for both games, comparing it on a like for like basis in the appropriate currency.
    Yes it's more expensive. It's a larger game that came out at the start of the lifecycle of a new system, instead of a budget release game coming out towards the end of an older system

Saying it's double the price is actually sheer hyperbole, and is factually incorrect.

No it wasn't.

You've not done a fair comparison. You've used a price with a discount code that's expired. But ignored the discount code on the original. And of course the price of the sequel being higher means the discount is higher. I paid €30 and I had tried before to find it on my bank statement but records only go back 2 years so it can't be checked unfortunately.

The currency market at the moment benefits us massively which again makes it look even more favorable but its base £ price is higher. I see people buying digital games for Switch from all parts of the globe because it works out cheaper than here. Splatoon came out in May 2015, the Wii U was only 2 and a half years old then. That's the midpoint of most systems lifetimes if even in some cases, not the end.

Nintendo charge £50 physically and on their eShop for Splatoon 2. The original on Wii U in physical form which is more beneficial was £25, or £23 with the discount code. So yes it is double the price by that comparison. Though I did admit Nintendo charged £31.49 on their eShop.

I've seen the bargains of buying online compared to here thanks to the exchange rate. I seen the Black Pro Controller the other day for €58 delivered on Amazon. Compare that to Gamestop charging €90 for the Splatoon Pro Controller. A €32 saving on one peripheral.

My young fella is having a ball with Splatoon 2.
    Certainly the game is far more stable than the original online, no dropped connections as yet.
    I did have to create an account for him, but at least he's off to the races now.
    He would appear to be better at the game than I... no surprises there.
    Somehow the 14 year old mind is capable of playing through Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock Infinite, BotW, Bravely Second and now Splatoon 2 in the one prolonged play session and make great headway in all.... my 45 year old noggin isn't quite so capable... bugger...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Going to grab it for 45 on the SA store later this week after I get paid. That was a good find. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

mayordenis wrote: »
    I have 70 odd amiibo, which when you tot it up is about €1050 at retail, maybe a little less as I got some on deals etc. (obviously, I shouldn't be spending that kind of money on these things, but whatever.) So, I'd say the 'missed opportunity' is actually in your head.

I think you've missed the point. 'missed opportunity' is not part of the 'scAmiibo' rant.

i) actually sourcing the amiibo you want at retail is quite difficult (between stock shortages, cancelled preorders and massively inflated prices from 3rd parties that Nintendo only see their standard RRP profits from.
    E.g. try to buy a Guardian or Anniversary amiibo right now. Not 3 weeks ago. Not when stock comes back in. Now.

ii) Amiibo cards are incredibly handy. Amiibo themselves, while cool, are a pain in the hole to carry around with you.
    If Animal crossing cards gave you anything worthwhile they'd be fantastic, I carry mine in my Switch case but stopped scanning them because the rewards are ****e. I can certainly see the appeal of an illicit set that might net you armour and weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm with the pirates on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Let's get back to discussion of the game please folks, and leave the merits of illegality to the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So far I had one successful online game without a connection problem. Am I the only one?

Zero disconnection issues here. Might be worth rebooting your console and router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

So far I had one successful online game without a connection problem. Am I the only one?

Played a good few hours over the weekend and had no connection issues.

• Advertisement

I had terrible trouble with it, as I've said, with Splatoon but so far no problems with the sequel.
    But, on the same network and connection point, I have never had any issues with the PS4, PS3, 360 or XB1.
    I always thought it was some weakness in Nintendo around such connectivity.
    Still, the Switch doesn't like weaker Wifi signals that my phone is happy to connect to, I'm assuming that Ninty are rendering weaker but serviceable signals as unreliable and so won't use them, which would be a pity.

Advertisement