Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gossies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

anna080 wrote: »
    What has being a paid blogger got to do with not wanting to go to a cringy event?

Anna I am going to the event and I don't find it cringy? Have you every been to one of these events to know or is it just your general thoughts on awards or just the gossies in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

bigpink wrote: »
    People are bigging Rosemary but she cutting down the owner of gossies in a public way no need
    She wants to be the cool anti blogger but wants the paid side of it too?

She's not really cutting her down though? She said in her article " and I really respect what Ali Ryan, who founded Goss.ie and is an all-round deadly woman, has done with her site – I’m just not enthused about the Gossies"

I started this thread as in my opinion the awards are a joke. The whole sponsor / nominee thing is a slap in the face to the bloggers who don't have a big enough following to canvas for votes. The owner literally has been out drinking etc with some of the nominees and showing off products shes been using which are products from the sponsors eg, tan.

If Ali Ryan wasn't doing these things in the lead up this awards ceremony, people might have a bit more sympathy etc. She did herself no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anna I am going to the event and I don't find it cringy? Have you every been to one of these events to know or is it just your general thoughts on awards or just the gossies in particular?

Why do people always pick on me :pac:
    No I haven't been, but tbh it sounds cringy. That's just my opinion. Good luck though, and I hope you enjoy it.

heyjude88 wrote: »
    She's not really cutting her down though? She said in her article " and I really respect what Ali Ryan, who founded Goss.ie and is an all-round deadly woman, has done with her site – I’m just not enthused about the Gossies"

I started this thread as in my opinion the awards are a joke. The whole sponsor / nominee thing is a slap in the face to the bloggers who don't have a big enough following to canvas for votes. The owner literally has been out drinking etc with some of the nominees and showing off products shes been using which are products from the sponsors eg, tan.

If Ali Ryan wasn't doing these things in the lead up this awards ceremony, people might have a bit more sympathy etc. She did herself no favours.

Sure all awards that come down to a public vote are they same. The bigger known personalities are always going to get more votes. The Irish blog awards and the beauty blog awards are another example.

They also highlight the sponsors products on the run up. At the end of the day it's a business and they need to keep their sponsor on board.

I am not saying I agree with it....but the gossies are not alone by any means.

Why do people always pick on me :pac:
    No I haven't been, but tbh it sounds cringy. That's just my opinion. Good luck though, and I hope you enjoy it.

Ahh Anna I am not picking on you at all 😊 I was only wondering if it was this particular one or any type of awards. Thank you I hope I enjoy it too, I am sure I will feel slightly uncomfortable but then that won't be anything new since I started hitting the blogging scene.

• Advertisement

Haha. No worries. I am trying to improve my posting style as sometimes I can jump the gun and be a bit harsh so I just thought "oh no what have I said now". :pac:
    I'm sure you will have a great night! Sure come back and let us know what they are actually like

I sure will and hopefully it will be positive! Written word is always harder especially when you don't have to tone to decipher the true meaning lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

I don't follow Rosemary or Ali the Goss founder but I read Rosemary's post and kudos to her for writing it. Refreshingly honest.

Ali let herself down a little with her tweets, very bitchy and spiteful.

Can you link the tweets? I don't have twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

The term girl boss always makes me think of a situation where every female managers door would say "girl manager"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

BeeMee_123 wrote: »
    Can you link the tweets? I don't have twitter

You can just google the name of the account your looking for it's public and therefore you don't need twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Alexandra should have said nothing and ignored it. She's brought even more attention to the "ethics" of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

BeeMee_123, There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with posts but I think I have them in the right order

IMG_1953_zpswzjkdewn.jpeg
    IMG_1954_zps0v5w6p4y.jpeg
    IMG_1955_zpsis9hwepr.jpeg
    IMG_1937_zpswuwd5due.jpeg
    IMG_1938_zpsxhgrhv06.jpeg
    IMG_1939_zpsuhx1rxno.jpeg
    IMG_1952_zpsnmtdizou.jpeg
    IMG_1940_zps3y04ul4p.jpeg
    IMG_1947_zpssdscrpjh.jpeg
    IMG_1948_zpsljbetdxz.jpeg
    IMG_1943_zpscfxgiymb.jpeg
    IMG_1949_zpstwtphzfn.jpeg
    IMG_1945_zpseblonjrf.jpeg
    IMG_1944_zps4xvzivuk.jpeg
    IMG_1950_zpsqxiqqmpl.jpeg

Enjoy the high traffic :p:p:p

Now Marissa Carter has gotten involved. she did a hashtag.... #gettheboat

I can actually see this whole episode creating a big divide in the blogging world!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

ratmouse wrote: »
    No way! How utterly pathetic of her. As if her stupid award ceremony itself wasn't pathetic enough without having to add further to it by possibly going down that road. The awards are a farce. The "celebrities" are a joke. The sponsor-also-nominee angle is ridiculous. I'm actually surprised that the owner didn't nominate herself for some of the award categories, that's how big of a joke ir all is.

I think you're being overly harsh to be honest.

'Stupid award ceremony', 'pathetic x2', 'a farce', 'a joke x2', 'ridiculous'

With strong anger towards the awards, Ali, the 'celebs' and the sponsors it says a lot more about you than it does about them. Neither (to my knowledge) are personally infringing on your life bar the annoyance you feel, that's something you should deal with rather than projecting on an internet forum.

Honestly the bitterness and overall catty nature in some posts in this thread is astounding. I get its a thread discussing the awards but seriously what major life threatening effect are these awards actually having on your lives that you have to run a young girl just trying to run a business down so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Yeah I kind of have to agree with the above poster. Personally, I think the awards are fairly cringey and tacky, and I would be taking the results with a hefty pinch of salt- and I charging €150 a head is excessive.

However, the absolute venom that some people are spewing here almost makes it feel like Ali Ryan is personally removing €150 from people's pockets and forcing them to vote online. I wouldn't vote for anyone in the awards because they're pretty pointless, and I could think of a million other things I'd rather spend €150 on. But if other people want to, grand.

Just seems like a lot of unnecessary anger, is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I think Rosemary doesnt come across great either.Touch of a attention seeker in her

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

You know I read the piece, and it was a clever position post from a traffic angle by her. Of course she's going to want her posts to be read by as many as possible. Last time I checked the post has 1.5k shares. That's a big reach.

Fair play to her I say. She never struck me as the type to schmooze at everything and everyone, because in fairness there's plenty of bloggers that would go to the opening of an envelope. She goes to things that are interesting/beneficial to her and her readers and that's reflected throughout her blog.

But at the end of the day all a blogger wants is attention obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

GradGirl27 wrote: »
    I think you're being overly harsh to be honest.

'Stupid award ceremony', 'pathetic x2', 'a farce', 'a joke x2', 'ridiculous'

With strong anger towards the awards, Ali, the 'celebs' and the sponsors it says a lot more about you than it does about them. Neither (to my knowledge) are personally infringing on your life bar the annoyance you feel, that's something you should deal with rather than projecting on an internet forum.

Honestly the bitterness and overall catty nature in some posts in this thread is astounding. I get its a thread discussing the awards but seriously what major life threatening effect are these awards actually having on your lives that you have to run a young girl just trying to run a business down so much.

If you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

bigpink wrote: »
    I think Rosemary doesnt come across great either.Touch of a attention seeker in her

I'm not a fan of Rosemary for various reasons (nonsense diets and some old stuff) but she is spot on with this. I would wish that not every blogger needs to be a replacement for 'irish models' who show(ed) up to every sewage plant opening or mobile phone event in a bikini. It's a tacky wannabe celebrity culture that celebrates imagined self importance and makes money for the organisers. I would hope that there are bloggers who cater for a bit more intelligent audience and having an opinion on that kind of stuff is actually refreshing. So I think she cones very well across with that blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

It's silly awards like girl boss and top snapchatter that take away from the event imo.
    Most of these bloggers would go to the opening of a gas bill, as a matter of fact I'm hosting an event called the opening of my gas bill.
    Tickets are only €40pp it's open to the public lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Now Marissa Carter has gotten involved. she did a hashtag.... #gettheboat

I can actually see this whole episode creating a big divide in the blogging world!

Oh dear, it's all kicking off again

IMG_5050.PNG

What does #gettheboat mean?

Marissa is a little old to be carrying on like this, I'd expect more from a #girlboss lol

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Oh dear, it's all kicking off again

IMG_5050.PNG

What does #gettheboat mean?

Marissa is a little old to be carrying on like this, I'd expect more from a #girlboss lol

get the boat means like, F off I think :pac: Too funny.

Jeeze its getting a bit mental. Marissa shouldn't bother. Let the owner Ali sort it out.

I agree 100% with Rosemary that sponcors and nominees should not overlap. So many people here agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Marissa has really let herself down here.

There's a girl called Emma putting in sly little digs and starting arguments on that twtitter fued. If you click on her twtitter, shes an entertainment reporter for Goss.ie. She reignited this just now. Obviously trying to drum up more attention for the Gossies.

get the boat means like, F off I think :pac: Too funny.

Jeeze its getting a bit mental. Marissa shouldn't bother. Let the owner Ali sort it out.

I agree 100% with Rosemary that sponcors and nominees should not overlap. So many people here agree.

Thanks, even Google couldn't shed any light on the meaning of that for me!

Agreed, RM is right about sponsors being nominated. It shows it up for being a pile of nonsense and Ali can't expect the awards to be taken seriously when that's what's going on.

Marissa should protect her image and be seen to be impartial by removing herself from the nominations.

Is she a business woman (girl lol) or a celebrity, she probably needs to decide in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Well RM wrote a blog post which is more or less her job, Marissa is kicking off on twitter. Starting a fight on twitter is silly and juvenile, especially for a respected business person who seems to be taking her brand international.

She should just keep out of it and not allow herself to be nominated or drawn in to it. A gossie award means absolutely nothing to anyone. Her integrity as a business person should be more important.

• Advertisement

Ah it's a shame you can't see it, it's worth a look for the lols. Cringy stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement