Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nintendo owned 2017 and Octopath seems to have been nominated in several categories.
    Also, in the family category Nintendo dominate.
    All that should take from the fact that Sony and the PS4 have had an amazing year.

Octopath just has the 3 nominations.

So Nintendo are supposed to have AAA 10/10 games every year now? Cool story bro!
    Is the Switch even out 2 years yet?

Octopath was still one of the best RPGS of the year regardless.

I expect next year to be very dominant again from a top class exclusive point of view. It takes time to makes games the quality of which Nintendo make them.

Sony clearly had the strongest year and that's ok, Spiderman & GOW were years in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nintendo owned 2017 and Octopath seems to have been nominated in several categories.
    Also, in the family category Nintendo dominate.
    All that should take from the fact that Sony and the PS4 have had an amazing year.

Nintendo didn't make Octopath Traveler. Square Enix did. I expect its Switch exclusivity will expire at some point, maybe after its a year old, we don't know the terms.

"Best Family Category"? Everyones favourite category.

- Mario Tennis Aces
    - Labo
    - Starlink
    - Mario Party

I'm not sure that even needs a response. I think the list speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

"not for you" and "bad" are not the same thing.

Really, all that list does is highlight how gaming in general seems to have forgotten that if you don't make games for kids you'll have fewer and fewer adults gaming, so you'll have to loot-box the **** out of the remaining geriatrics before they go and die and leave all their money to their good-for-nothing non-gamer kids who never did nothing for them.

Ninty should take a decade off, choke off EA's income and then return to storming success to a generation who have only heard legends about that time great-grandad lept from the back of a ravine-bound yoshi to reach an out-of-reach cloud.

So Nintendo are supposed to have AAA 10/10 games every year now? Cool story bro!

Yes they are, and that's ideally what Nintendo would strive for themselves. Nintendo's output in 2018 thus far hasn't been AAA and the only game with a chance since Super Mario Odyssey near the end of last year, is Super Smash Bros Ultimate, which is a year apart, then you've to look into 2019 and when's the next one?

Anybody that says, "bro!" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

First trailer for Darius Cozmic Collection.

sligeach wrote: »
    Yes they are, and that's ideally what Nintendo would strive for themselves. Nintendo's output in 2018 thus far hasn't been AAA and the only game with a chance since Super Mario Odyssey near the end of last year, is Super Smash Bros Ultimate, which is a year apart, then you've to look into 2019 and when's the next one?

Anybody that says, "bro!" :rolleyes:

The Nintendo Switch is out 1 year and 8 months.
    Have a look back at the PS4 and the Xbox 1 on it's initial 2 years and tell me how many quality exclusives there were?
    Again you fail to see how long the actual development cycle takes for exclusives of top quality.
    Myself and I suspect the majority of Nintendo fans don't want to see churned yearly releases and crap from Ubisoft and EA, this can be gotten elsewhere.

2019? I think it will be as big or even better than it's launch year.

The boom bust cycle continues however :rolleyes:

Actually I should know better at this stage...my bad!

2019 should be really good, potentially better than 2017 for Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Myself and I suspect the majority of Nintendo fans don't want to see churned yearly releases and crap from Ubisoft and EA, this can be gotten elsewhere.

Churned high profile sequels make money and build install base.
    Money attracts investment
    Install base attracts investment.

You bet your ass I want to see churned yearly crap from Ubisoft and EA.
    "Not for you" does not mean "bad".

And yes, I know you're not Sligeach. You're both wrong and I'm right. SUCK MY FACEBATS!
    I'm keeping that catchphrase, I love it.

"This can be gotten elsewhere" should not be an acceptable mantra for a company that wants to survive. You have to grow market share just to stand still in this industry. It's not about keeping Players happy, it's about satisfying investors. When investors think you might be in trouble, you're in trouble. As soon as you start letting doors close they lock and before you know it you are - in a business sense - in a cell waiting to starve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I used to love the Nintendo forum

Such a great group of people and no fan boy ****e just people who love games appreciating great exclusives

Like most of boards at this stage the toxicity and bitterness has arrived here

Some would say the subtle digs and pissing and moaning were trolling or at least trying to aggregate but nothing done about it

Blocking said user isn't enough as people who don't have said person blocked are replying to their posts

It's just sad I was very active here once and I struggle to add here now as the forum is being ruined by one user in particular

How an opinion is formed on the basis of someone not owning the console is just comical

Sorry for the rant folks walked in seen the ****e again and had to speak up no offense to anyone here btw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I used to love the Nintendo forum

Such a great group of people and no fan boy ****e just people who love games appreciating great exclusives

Like most of boards at this stage the toxicity and bitterness has arrived here

Some would say the subtle digs and pissing and moaning were trolling or at least trying to aggregate but nothing done about it

Blocking said user isn't enough as people who don't have said person blocked are replying to their posts

It's just sad I was very active here once and I struggle to add here now as the forum is being ruined by one user in particular

How an opinion is formed on the basis of someone not owning the console is just comical

Sorry for the rant folks walked in seen the ****e again and had to speak up no offense to anyone here btw

Haven't been on the Nintendo forum much the last while, mainly because the young lad has hijacked the Switch as his own personal Fortnite machine.

Just skimming through the latest posts only to see folks are still banging on about ports and price comparisons, groundhog day again. Or maybe it was just bad timing on my part. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

So Nintendo are supposed to have AAA 10/10 games every year now?.

It really should have since its not a primary multi-platform gaming device. Well, at least 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

I'm actually very disapointed switch didn't get more recognition for the GOTY nominations considering the strong showing of last year. I don't except Nintendo to be pumping GOTYs out in an assembly line but I can't help but feel with the lack of announcements of "big up and commers", they've taken their money, cut their losses, run and churn out mediocre content until they need a payday and then drop something mindblowing.

Taking their time to give us AAA games is one thing, but churning out mediocrity in the meantime just isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This year has been average for Switch exclusives. I can't recall any one that I'd put as GOTY material. Mario Party 8/Tennis, Labo or Kirby haven't exactly impacted many that played them; the only games I bought this year were Bayonetta 2 & Octopath Traveller which I lost interest in maybe halfway through. I can't see Let's Go Pikachu being much more than what it is but Smash might be with some people playing multiplayer over the holidays.
    Its great that so many indies are now on Switch especially from their launch but you'd miss out on stuff like Hitman 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassins Creed Odyssey & Monster Hunter World if you didn't have another system. Most of this year you could spend catching up on the games from 2017 too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Haven't been on the Nintendo forum much the last while, mainly because the young lad has hijacked the Switch as his own personal Fortnite machine.

Just skimming through the latest posts only to see folks are still banging on about ports and price comparisons, groundhog day again. Or maybe it was just bad timing on my part. :pac:

I think it's just bad timing.
    The negative nonsense has only made an appearance in the last couple of days.
    That said, people have space here to point out pluses and minuses of the whole Nintendo scene.

But...

Once a point is made I don't think persistent negative posting on that point is going to be fair on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just buy one of the other consoles or a PC to supplement the Switch. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a lack of big releases or the nonsense that is game awards. But that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Like most of boards at this stage the toxicity and bitterness has arrived here.

This is one of the least toxic forums on Boards. If you think it's toxic here, you'll need to grow a thicker skin for some of the more robust exchanges in other parts of the site. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    This is one of the least toxic forums on Boards. If you think it's toxic here, you'll need to grow a thicker skin for some of the more robust exchanges in other parts of the site. :o

What he said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

In fairness I think he meant Toxic:

giphy.gif

... to which I concur.

• Advertisement

OK, back to the news. :)

Xbox Live Arcade classic Ms. Splosion Man is coming to Switch next week.

Original Live Arcade trailer:

God be with the days, we couldn't install Xbox 360 Indie games from the specific region of the XBLA store, because of the law here, and we missed out on a ton of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Pac1Man wrote: »
    In fairness I think he meant Toxic:

giphy.gif

... to which I concur.

Ding ding ding. It has now been announced that "toxic" is the word of the year.

So after the Game Awards, how many games are we expecting trailers for to post here?
    I expect Bayonetta 3 at least and maybe Metroid Prime 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Banjo wrote: »
    "not for you" and "bad" are not the same thing.

EXACTLY! It's one of the more frustrating things about being a "fanboy" of Nintendo.

People who simply cannot accept that the entire company doesn't just exist to give them specifically what they want.

The reaction to Nintendo Labo, for example, was depressing to see. Same with Pokemon Let's Go.

Not sure why people can't comprehend that a big part of the company is focused on providing content for younger gamers. As you said, that ought to be a good thing.

I am fine with Nintendo giving me a few games that I am into and also offering games to other people who might be into other things.

Surely it's absolutely necessary for Nintendo to offer "entry level" experiences to get people into games and then allow them to move up to more challenging or complex experiences.

I always feel like a big part of it comes down to people thinking of games in the same way they think of movies.

So something like Toy Story can be very enjoyable even for adults. So people say well why can't a game like Star Link or Kirby:Star Allies do the same.

The difference being that a game is a far more involved and interactive experience for the audience. Artificially ramping up difficulty doesn't work and also adding in a more "mature" story isn't going to work for the target audience.

Anyways, yeah "not for me" does not equal "bad" and it's kind of sad to see the amount of people who seem to feel that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Andrew76 wrote: »

I wouldn't say it's particular to this forum or to Nintendo to be honest.

Pretty much any place you can go to discuss videogames online has this constant raging storm of unchecked entitlement.

I never quite understood it because my experience is that there's only so many games you can play. So if I missed a bunch of games on Wii U or if I missed Diablo 3 then it's pretty awesome to see them come back around on the Switch.

I'm never quite sure what would satisfy the crowd.

Plus it would need to satisfy the crowd without causing Nintendo to go the way of Sega (which is how I fear it will go eventually anyway).

What would we be looking for?

Hardware that matches Sony and Microsoft (so goodbye handheld mode before we even get started).
    4 or 5 first party 8 to 9 out of 10 exclusives per year. These must be good enough to be on GOTY lists.
    All of the same 3rd party games as Sony and Microsoft.
    Online service in line with Sony and Microsoft.
    The console should be affordable/cheap.
    The games should be new. Not ports and not sequels that are not ports but kind of are if you REALLY want to push negativity.
    The games should be affordable/cheap too.

I always felt that the attraction of Nintendo was that it's something a bit different from the status quo.

Some upcoming file sizes (ouch at Warframe - that's a big one)

Warframe – 12.2GB
    Onimusha: Warlords – 9.6GB
    Youtubers Life: OMG Edition – 2.3GB
    Ms. Splosion Man – 1.4GB
    Mars: Chaos Menace – 1.4GB
    Azbu – 1.3GB
    Gelly Break – 947MB
    Mimpi Dreams – 406MB
    99Vidas: Definitive Edition – 404MB
    Desktop Soccer – 297MB
    Soap Dodgem – 231MB
    Super Hydorah – 213MB
    Tinboy – 201MB
    RocketsRocketsRockets – 170MB
    R-Type Dimensions EX – 165MB
    Toast Time: Smash Up! – 98.0MB
    Cattails – 93.0MB
    Johnny Turbo’s Arcade: Heavy Barrel – 71.0MB

Source: https://nintendoeverything.com/switch-file-sizes-warframe-onimusha-warlords-abzu-more/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr E wrote:
    Youtubers Life: OMG Edition 2.3GB

Wait, what in blue hell is this?
    :confused:

It's a game. I heard about it in the Kinda Funny Games Daily podcast this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »
    Some upcoming file sizes (ouch at Warframe - that's a big one)

Warframe – 12.2GB
    Onimusha: Warlords – 9.6GB
    Youtubers Life: OMG Edition – 2.3GB
    Ms. Splosion Man – 1.4GB
    Mars: Chaos Menace – 1.4GB
    Azbu – 1.3GB
    Gelly Break – 947MB
    Mimpi Dreams – 406MB
    99Vidas: Definitive Edition – 404MB
    Desktop Soccer – 297MB
    Soap Dodgem – 231MB
    Super Hydorah – 213MB
    Tinboy – 201MB
    RocketsRocketsRockets – 170MB
    R-Type Dimensions EX – 165MB
    Toast Time: Smash Up! – 98.0MB
    Cattails – 93.0MB
    Johnny Turbo’s Arcade: Heavy Barrel – 71.0MB

Source: https://nintendoeverything.com/switch-file-sizes-warframe-onimusha-warlords-abzu-more/

I'm more surprised at Onimusha. That's ancient!

• Advertisement

R-Type Dimensions EX for me, although for an exciting moment I thought it might have been a new game.... but still, worth owning regardless.

Advertisement