Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options
1292293294295296298»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It was a great game to begin with, so it was hard to spoil a winning formula. But that's the thing, this was the Paper Mario formula before Nintendo went and changed things up, for the worse in most people's opinion. Any criticisms any reviewer may have, I don't think you're going to hear them, because I know many want this game to succeed and send a message to Nintendo that we like the traditional Paper Mario style and want it brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ThePandazorian

The sales tell a different story. Super Paper Mario (Wii), Sticker Star (3DS) and The Origami King (Switch) all sold significantly more than The Thousand-Year Door. Colour Splash being the only Paper Mario game to sell less than TTYD but that is more down to the Wii U console install base tbh. And the Metacritic scores for these games range from a (good) low of 75 to a high of 85.

I don't think the data backs up a claim that things changed "for the worse is most people's opinion", especially the sales numbers. It might be your opinion, but it's objectively not the opinion of most.

You say Paper Mario: Colour Splash sold less than TTYD due to the poor install base of Wii U. But conveniently omitted that Super Paper Mario (Wii), Sticker Star (3DS) and The Origami King (Switch) all released on systems with install bases many times that of Gamecube.

And let's wait for the sales numbers of a game that has yet to release before writing off a popularly held belief.

"Eurogamer: Following on from that, how do you develop a series further when so many fans want a return to familiar elements? Talk about how Origami King represents an evolution.

Tanabe: The game development philosophy that I adopted from Mr. Miyamoto aims to develop innovative and unique game systems. I'm not against the fans' opinions. However, I consider my game development philosophy to be independent of this. If we kept using the same game system that fans want, we wouldn't be able to surprise them or offer them new gaming experiences. We each try our best to find new ways to exceed expectations in surprising ways. At the same time, there is no guarantee that we will always succeed in this - so that is a real challenge."

https://www.eurogamer.de/das-grosse-paper-mario-interview-darum-ist-origami-king-kein-rpg

Post edited by sligeach on

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door — Launch Trailer — Nintendo Switch

https://x.com/NintendoEurope/status/1793182512413282540

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having seen the DF video about it (which is positive), I don't think the change from 60 to 30 FPS is worth it. Some of the visual upgrades are nice - though the original still looks great, and I'm not a fan of some of the changes that I reckon dull the vibrancy of the game's presentation. But that loss to responsiveness in a game that does having timing-specific inputs is a big hit, and just in general I don't think we should be accepting of that kind of downgrade in a re-release of a 20 year old game.

• Advertisement

I assume that's a typo and you're missing the "U" because Colour Splash didn't release on Wii nor did the Wii have a poor install base. I didn't conveniently omit anything but since have implied that one reason the Wii, 3DS and Switch titles sold a lot more than the GC Paper Mario game was because those systems had much higher console install bases then you will need to apply that stipulation to TTYD on Switch when we learn how that version does in terms of sales.

If Origami only sold that well because it released to much larger install base then the same can be applied to TTYD on Switch.

I'm not doubting that TTYD is held in high regard and I think it will sell well and deservedly so. But it's objectively incorrect to say "most people" think the series took a "worse" turn when the review and sales consensus says otherwise.

Yes, it was a typo, I meant Wii U. Switch sales and interest is on the wane. It'll be interesting to see how well TTYD sells, when you see recent games like Endless Ocean Luminous and Princess Peach Showtime! relatively flop. Remember too, that this is a remake/port whatever, late in a system's lifetime, unlike The Origami King which was original and released at the height of Switch sales. I also should have wrote "a lot of people's opinion".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think either Endless Ocean or PP Showtime were ever going to be big sellers.

And I don't think Paper Mario will be either, it's a relatively cheap title to make though, so presumably the projected figures for it will make it turn a profit.

I think Nintendo may have maximised the graphics on Switch, while limiting it to 30fps. When the Switch 2 releases, the game will run at 60fps there. It's far easier doing it like this, than having lesser Switch graphics and 60fps now, and then having to upgrade textures and visuals for Switch 2.

The same thing could happen for Metroid Prime 4, if the Switch even gets a port at this late stage.

This site is such a pain in the @®$€ to edit text and embed links. It's not even clear what your post will look like before you hit post comment. I'm not copying and pasting it all again. 4k mention found in data mining of TTYD.

https://x.com/RibShark/status/1793357532729418129

Meanwhile,

Printable: Paper Mario™: The Thousand-Year Door - a retro Nintendo GameCube™ cover

For just 30 Platinum coins.

• Advertisement

Hollow Knight is available to play for free until 12th June for Nintendo Switch Online members.

There's rumours that Hollow Knight Silksong will feature in the XBOX Showcase this coming Sunday at 6PM Irish time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

VI was fine but definitely wasn't as good as V; kinda not sure where they could take the series at this stage ...

I felt the opposite. Didn’t like V after IV, but played a helluva lot of VI and sometimes still do. Civ III and IV I must have put in hours in the thousands. That was when I had more free time too.
    Civ VI runs OK but not great on Switch but I’ve heard that’s down to the Aspyr porting of the game. Hopefully a day-1 version of Civ VII runs better but I also hope it’ll be best on Switch 2.

Could be nothing, but you never know.

Pushmo could possibly be returning soon

I could see it happening. It could be a remake of or a compilation of the 3DS and Wii U games. Even if it was a new game, they're not technically impressive and would be easy enough to churn out as a late title for Switch. Given Nintendo's recent output, this would be right up their alley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played a bit of them the first time around, I don't think I'll be investing again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With a 2025 release date you'd have to wonder if it'll surely be a Switch 2 title as well? Given the way the chatter has spoken of how we're on the cusp of the followup, it seems like they're gonna get lost in the mix if it's not cross (Nintendo) platform.

Aspyr seem to have a terrible time with Switch ports.

Yeah I full expect Switch 2 to be backwards compatible so at the very least Civ VII will play on Switch 2.
    Of course a native Switch 2 could also be in the works but they just can’t say it right now.

Aspyr used be great for doing Mac ports back in the day. They’ve gone downhill in more recent years it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lego Horizon Adventures was announced for the Switch as well. Coming "holiday season"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No sign of Silksong in the xbox showcase. There is a PC conference starting shortly, so it might (probably won't!) be in that. :)

Advertisement