Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

As with others, my first Super Mario since SNES. I remember being jealous of people who had the N64 for that Mario then.

Anyway, this is great. I worried for a moment if it might be 'too kiddy', but it charms you and you forget about it! The puzzles are nice and clever but often really intuitive which has its own strange satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hat jump:

Jump / Backflip / Sideflip / Butt-stomp-jump, then throw the hat, and hold Y.
    While the hat is spinning in place, hold ZL + press X to dive. Once you bounce off the hat, let go of ZL and you can dive again out of the bounce for that bit extra distance should you need it.

No need to have split second timing with holding Y, letting it go, tapping it again etc.

Oh, and no way to do the cappy bounce a second time unless you touch ground between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ok, finally clicked. I kept thinking I was ground pounding because I was hitting zl too early.
    It was because I was hitting it too late and it was reading it after y.
    Once you stop fighting the ground pound it's easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tried a few Koopa races last night. Got 34 seconds on Cascade Kingdom and was delighted with my time.

Looked at the leaderboard and saw 14ish seconds was top.... How the hell :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Tried a few Koopa races last night. Got 34 seconds on Cascade Kingdom and was delighted with my time.

Looked at the leaderboard and saw 14ish seconds was top.... How the hell :confused:

Once I beat the gold Koopa I moved on. I've no patience for shaving milliseconds to try and get up leaderboards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Up to 501 moons now but still haven't played the additional worlds after you rescue Peach and visit her. Kinda getting bored now though with moon hunting.

(Not sure if we can mention the names of the additional worlds?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Up to 501 moons now but still haven't played the additional worlds after you rescue Peach and visit her. Kinda getting bored now though with moon hunting.

(Not sure if we can mention the names of the additional worlds?)
    Go play the addition worlds they are challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭wolfe

I have about 8000 coins and want to buy the skeleton suit for 9999.Then i saw the bowser wedding suit. Just wondering if amibos are better value.Very hard to find amibos in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

5 moons to go, 2 paintings, volleyball, jump rope and darker side of the moon. No idea where one painting is (keep), other painting is in Sand Kingdom around the walking Koopa but can't find it. Just got the dark side of the moon bullet bill moon (the underneath one), that was awful! The game is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Molly wrote: »
    5 moons to go, 2 paintings, volleyball, jump rope and darker side of the moon. No idea where one painting is (keep), other painting is in Sand Kingdom around the walking Koopa but can't find it. Just got the dark side of the moon bullet bill moon (the underneath one), that was awful! The game is excellent.

Hints for paintings.
    Considering it's a Mario game what world might even have the word keep?

The compass is key. Koopa is a reference point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Think I have a bug.

Have completed 4 challenges in the snow place but still have a barrier left

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just beat the DSotM gauntlet.
    Wait a sec, this looks like another arena?
    Oh come on the ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Think I have a bug.

Have completed 4 challenges in the snow place but still have a barrier left
    Got it sorted, I had to knock all of the spikey shells off the platform

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Super Mario Odyssey Producer Is Open To Adding More Downloadable Content To It

Super Mario Odyssey producer Yoshiaki Koizumi:

“There’s a lot of volume (in Super Mario Odyssey),” he explained during the interview. “That was a big focus in development. Give the player tons to do. We pushed ourselves to create as much as we could. I can’t announce anything specifically today, but of course, if there was a really cool idea for us to do, then we would certainly be thinking about DLC.”

http://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/02/12/super-mario-odyssey-producer-talks-dlc-nintendo-switch/

I'm sure SMO is going to get paid for DLC. Look at all the other games that got DLC, MK8, Smash Bros., BOTW, Pokken Tournament, Fire Emblem Warriors , XC2, Hyrule Warriors, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, etc, etc.

I read a headline in the last hour, I think it said that Activision Blizzard made $4 billion from microtransactions last year alone. Nintendo are all over DLC these days and they're not going to let their flagship cash-cow pass by without milking it for all it's worth. The balloon mini-game is just the free appetiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I'd gladly pay for more Odyssey dlc. Nintendo has been on the ball for the most part in regards to paid post launch support.

They haven't really milked any game with sh*tty dlc so far, so don't see it happening here either. Just good additional content will do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Or, if you are a little less cynical, you might observe the massive amount of content the game already has.
    Super Mario Odyssey, that won Game of the Year in Edge, is a complete package as it is.
    If significant DLC is on the way why not pay for it, you can the judge of if it's worth it.
    And the payment for significant expansions is common across all formats, from World of Warcraft to Dark Souls, so this is not something to be too cynical about, at least not until you see what's on offer and for how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Eh, I have no problem with DLC when done right, I just view it as an opportunity to return to a game/world and experience something new. On other consoles, for instance, I don't think anyone could complain about The Witcher 3's DLC packs; there's no way they were cut from the base game or could have been included, and expanded brilliantly upon an already incredible game and world.

Where Nintendo have done DLC, they've generally been fairly worthwhile so far. I absolutely loved the MK 8 DLC, and there was definitely extra development time and expense put into it, so why wouldn't they charge for it?

I wouldn't really view it as milking it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Also, given the ongoing support and expansions to both Arms and Splatoon 2 it's not really their "form" to shortchange the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

While I was a bit disappointed by the Zelda DLC, but that said I would have been happy to pay 80 for the core game sans the DLC so I definitely got my value, I would more than welcome more Mario DLC, as long as it's level/story content. I don't really have much interest in the balloon games or online stuff.

MK8 is always cited as the great example of DLC done right, and it was, it was brilliant and fairly priced. But that was Nintendo's first foray into DLC, they had to make a great first impression.

However, since then I don't think some of their pricing has been great on DLC. Smash Bros. DLC was all over the show, crazy expensive. The DLC which was a fraction of the main game was more than twice as expensive as the game with no all-in-one package.

BOTW was €20, charged us before even telling us properly what was in it. I don't think overall it was worth it. Much of it should have been in the game for free. They reused existing assets and mixed stuff up. They didn't really add anything, with the odd exception, the motorcycle. The costumes were useless the Korok Mask.

XC2 to me seems to me like, this is how far your €60 goes and if you want our last year of development you've to pay us extra.

I didn't use the cash-cow/milking analogy right. I just meant I'm sure Nintendo won't pass up the opportunity to get some more money out of the game. Yes, the game is worth the asking price, I don't see the majority of DLC being value for money though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If not worth it then no need to buy it. Not aimed at you sligeach but people who do complain about DLC should just not buy it.
    The most famous example is horse armour. Yet bet people still bought it.

True, the second part of Zelda DLC probably wasn't what most expected from being told it included story expansion. I still haven't bought it yet.
    But at least they do tend to say what type of content is going to be included instead of just saying a season pass with no details. Then that season pass turns out to be costumes or 5 minute missions and little else and people get upset having spent the money.
    I usually only buy DLC after playing the game or after the DLC is actually released, unless I'm getting the GOTY which has the content included.

I just don't understand why people have to buy things before they're actually released. Same as preorders. I understand maybe for a console which will likely sell out, but I don't understand games at full price (pricing errors or Price Promise can be a reason). I'll admit I preordered a game before but that was more to be sure they would have the game in the shop since it was a time when Nintendo wasn't being stocked too well. But for games like FIFA or digital games, I don't get it. But I'm old and not a massive gamer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Currently tackling the post-game with 279+ moons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭IIGeminiII

Gotta say I have mixed feelings about the game. I felt the art direction was all over the place and didn't really come to together very well. Almost seemed rushed, which is a weird thing to say about a Mario game. Not a graphics head, but artistic direction is important, and some levels were truly beautiful, whereas others seemed very lazy, to me at least. When I think of beautiful art direction from Nintendo I think of Windwaker for example, or the new Zelda.

Buying items from humanoids who looked like they'd been pulled from an early 2000's Sims game is one example that just felt off to me. Although Loved New Donk city. No problem with them mixing it up.

No doubt there is so much more to discover with this game, but I expect I'll be trading it in for Dark Souls.

I still can't believe I only got to the Wooded Kingdom boss today, several moons and weeks after beating the main story.

Balloon World will be available on Friday it seems. It'll likely be announced in the European eShop weekly update PR tomorrow.
    23rd February, 2018 – Starting today, players can download a free update for Super Mario Odyssey that adds a new mini-game called Balloon World, a range of new outfits for Mario, and two new filters for use when capturing images in Snapshot Mode.

Once players download the free update and complete the main story, Balloon World will become available, and players just have to find Luigi in each Kingdom and speak with him to get started. In “Hide It” mode, players have a limited amount of time to hide a balloon, while in “Find It” mode, players have the same period of time to locate balloons hidden by other players from around the world. Creative use of captures is key to success! Whether players are hiding balloons or finding them, their Rank will go up based on their high score. While playing Balloon World, the atmosphere will change for each kingdom: for example, it might be raining in New Donk City, or the sun might be setting in Tostarena.

Also included in the update are a range of new outfits and Snapshot filters designed to give Mario a whole new look. The Sunshine, Musician and Knight Armor outfits have now been added and will be available in the shop after players finish the main story. There are also two new Snapshot Mode filters: Coin and Neon. Try using them to capture all sorts of fun new moments. More new outfits are planned to be added, so stay tuned to the Nintendo Australia Twitter account for more information.

A free update for Super Mario Odyssey that includes a new mini-game called Balloon World and a range of new outfits and Snapshot filters is available to download now. More new outfits are planned to be added, so stay tuned to the Nintendo Australia Twitter account for more information.

https://www.nintendo.com.au/luigis-balloon-world-makes-it-wondrous-debut

I think Nintendo have closed the link as the PR was probably released too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

For me the story is just the trial and then the real game begins. Have around 600 moons and the game just gets better and better. It's a masterpiece.

The Balloon World update is live!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

One else been playing Balloon World? Quite enjoying it, for now it is keeping me coming back!

Some of my codes, if anyone wants to try them:

Mushroom Kingdom:
    000 TXB RX7

Wooded Kingdom:
    007 LYK 8MK

Metro Kingdom:
    007 KIB 2KC

Bowser's Kingdom:
    007 2J1 PH9

Finally reached 9999 coins earlier. I also have 460+ moons as of now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Jumped back into this at the weekend to check out the update. The balloon game is a handy way of getting extra coins for doing very little.
    Ended up getting pulled back into the main game and have picked up about 50 more moons. Un locked the first of the end game bonus levels as I'm up to about 280 moons now.
    Forgot how fun the game was.

Advertisement