Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Me seven year old is on the darker side of the moon, is this the last level?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,912 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Especially after playing Breath of the Wild. Is it even possible to go from point A to point B without getting sidetracked?

I haven't started BOTW yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I haven't started BOTW yet :)

You are in for a treat!

tony1980 wrote: »
    You are in for a treat!

I picked up the Pro Controller last week so will be using that for Zelda.

Back to Odyssey, it's not very difficult or challenging but I am enjoying it a lot more now that if gotten used to the motion controls.

It's just fun, in a different way to other games I've enjoyed, but a really good adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Have to say, it's fun but no more so than SM3dW was. I enjoy playing it but it doesn't call to me when I'm not playing it. If I pick up my Switch I'm more likely to go for Rocket League or Gungeon. Disappointed so far. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    Have to say, it's fun but no more so than SM3dW was. I enjoy playing it but it doesn't call to me when I'm not playing it. If I pick up my Switch I'm more likely to go for Rocket League or Gungeon. Disappointed so far. :(

I'm finding the opposite, it's very addictive trying to collect all the purple coins in each level. The kids are loving it, thank god for separate saves. It's easily the best 3D Mario game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Back to Odyssey, it's not very difficult or challenging but I am enjoying it a lot more now that if gotten used to the motion controls.

I'm using it in handheld more with the joy cons attached to the Switch because my setup to use it as a regular console is not great, and while it is no doubt a great game even played that way, I indeed feel like I am missing out not being able to use motion control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Brainz wrote: »
    Me seven year old is on the darker side of the moon, is this the last level?

That great going for a 7 year old well done to them, Im not sure but I'd guess one or 2 more surprises when more moons are collected.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I'm using it in handheld more with the joy cons attached to the Switch because my setup to use it as a regular console is not great, and while it is no doubt a great game even played that way, I indeed feel like I am missing out not being able to use motion control.

I've played about 60% tabletop and 40% on the TV. Haven't tried Handheld mode at all.

Bob24 wrote: »

I'm playing it exclusively docked with the Pro Controller. It plays perfectly for me and the only time I've needed motion controls to get a few moons was taking over the frogs to do their extra high jump. Thankfully that's rare as it feels ridiculous shaking the controller. :D

Up to 243 moons and just reached
    The Luncheon Kingdom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I've needed motion controls to get a few moons was taking over the frogs to do their extra high jump. Thankfully that's rare as it feels ridiculous shaking the controller. :D

Didn't realise that the could do an extra high jump, good to know.

For those that say it is easy, I'm post-game with 386 moons and it is getting much trickier, plenty of tricky platforming with some under tight time limits.

Reckon I'll get to 500 and then start BOTW, going back to Mario ever now and again to get more moons.

Have over 500 moons and beat the very last level yesterday. Probably my favourite level in the game, must of took me over 100 tries. Has anyone else finished it?
    I thought I'd be ready to move on to another game. I stuck a few hours into stardew valley last night. I am starting to get into it but I still want to keep going with odyssey till I get up to 999 moons. My gaming life is in turmoil.

P.s my finished review of the game is 10 out of 10. I love it and I was right in my prediction that it just gets better and better the deeper into it you get and the more you perfect the moves. Perfection!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For those who like knowing people working for rival companies play Nintendo games

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/955203046547513344

He of Naughty Dog fame

Thought I'd made it to the luncheon kingdom everyone talks about.... but I was stuck on top of a platform way up in the sky and couldn't do anything but go back the sneaky way I came.

A little underwhelmed by New Donk City initially, as there seemed to be large areas that are completely unpopulated, almost as if I'd jumped behind a wall I wasn't supposed to. Eventually it was all explained away but it seemed like uncharacteristically sloppy level design to let me go there in the first place. And then the city won me over :D

Still playing it, so clearly it's still fun, but it hasn't changed my life or my view of gaming like BotW did. One massive thing in it's favour is that unlike, say, SM3DW (where you're running from A to B and if you can't get to B you can't progress) when you hit a bit that frustrates you you have the freedom to throw yourself at it endlessly or walk away and do something else. And in a weird way that makes you more motivated to conquer that jump or wall slide or whatever it is, because no one is making you do it.

I had been ignoring the purple coin shop until last night, finally understand what the non-outfit bits and bobs are for and realised that I've been missing a lot of flavour in my inter-world cut-scenes. It's a fun little incentive to search every nook and cranny.

Once you complete the main campaign and start hunting for moons it becomes much more interesting. My advice would be to play through without searching for all the moons, just get what's required then after the ending of the main campaign start aiming to get nearly all moons, if not all, before moving on. And learn how to do the hat jump stuff if you haven't already it really makes it more fun.

I can't do that hat-jump reliably. I don't think that's going to change. I'm playing undocked most of the time, and 80% of the time I Ground-Pound, the other 20% I jump and the hat comes back. The button you have to hold to keep the hat out is the same button you have to tap in conjunction with the ground-pound button to lunge, so it's a weird jump-tap-tap'n'hold that I can't get my hands to do.
    I've done it once or twice but never under pressure :D From watching my 4 and 9 year olds playing together, it might be easier with 2 people (or 2 controllers), you can move the hat to exactly where you want it to be and leave it there for damn near as long as you like. Handy for reaching tough areas that only require 1 fancy jump where you're not under time pressure .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I can't do that hat-jump reliably. I don't think that's going to change. I'm playing undocked most of the time, and 80% of the time I Ground-Pound, the other 20% I jump and the hat comes back. The button you have to hold to keep the hat out is the same button you have to tap in conjunction with the ground-pound button to lunge, so it's a weird jump-tap-tap'n'hold that I can't get my hands to do.
    I've done it once or twice but never under pressure :D From watching my 4 and 9 year olds playing together, it might be easier with 2 people (or 2 controllers), you can move the hat to exactly where you want it to be and leave it there for damn near as long as you like. Handy for reaching tough areas that only require 1 fancy jump where you're not under time pressure .

I'm getting better at it but still not great under pressure like when you are running against the koopas! You definitely need to be able to do it consistently in those situations!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been playing a lot more since finishing the game (I've been off sick for the last few weeks, so the Switch has been a godsend). Some of the new post game platforming sections are a nightmare!

I'm having trouble with the hat jump too. Must practice more - I'm doing sections where it would make my life a lot easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been trying the hat jump while away from the console, and all that has happened is I've stood on my flat cap, fallen in the mud or had to buy a new cap.
    So, no cap jumping for me anymore.

Is this the double hat jump you are all talking about? I couldn't do it for ages but then it clicked and is second nature now. The sequence I use is:

press B (to jump),

press Y (to throw hat),
    press and hold ZL + Y (to fly towards hat and jump on it),

after Mario jumps on the hat the first time (you'll hear a sound) - then let go of ZL+Y and repeat the same combo:

press Y (to throw hat),
    press and hold ZL + Y (to fly towards hat and jump on it)

I think the important sequence I wasn't getting initially was the holding down of ZL+Y until after Mario jumps on the hat. So the press Y, press and hold ZL+Y combo is just repeated twice either side of the first hat throw. Hope that helps. :)

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't help at all
    Because I'm struggling to do the single hat bounce and now I know I'm expected to pull it off twice

in a row, like.

Jaysus!

No, it doesn't help at all
    Because I'm struggling to do the single hat bounce and now I know I'm expected to pull it off twice

in a row, like.

Jaysus!

:pac:

Just tried it there in undocked mode (I normally play with the Pro Controller) and it's a little bit more awkward with the smaller trigger and buttons.

What about just trying the forward somersault jump instead?

B, ZL+Y

Actually ZL+Y is really hold ZL then press Y quickly after.

Get that down and you just need to put a Y in between. :)

Has anyone had moons not popping? I'm missing number 23 on Cap Kingdom (out on a hat in the fog) when I throw cappy onto the gold spike nothing happens :(

Yeah it honestly does become second nature. Just keep at it. I can do it in portable or docked or whatever. I'll record a clip shortly of me playing the last level so spoiler warning I'll quote this message. You will become so good at it you will confidently take massive risks that you never normally would. And you can cover such distance it's great.

P. S my 8 year old could do it after about 5 tries.

Has anyone had moons not popping? I'm missing number 23 on Cap Kingdom (out on a hat in the fog) when I throw cappy onto the gold spike nothing happens :(

Your holding the throw button till it spins really fast right?

iamtony wrote: »
    Your holding the throw button till it spins really fast right?

Was just throwing it onto it :confused:

Ok all coins and moons in Cap Kingdom now :)

Was just throwing it onto it :confused:

Ha. You know what to do...

Yeah it honestly does become second nature. Just keep at it. I can do it in portable or docked or whatever. I'll record a clip shortly of me playing the last level so spoiler warning I'll quote this message. You will become so good at it you will confidently take massive risks that you never normally would. And you can cover such distance it's great.
    https://twitter.com/iamtonyfarrell/status/955917781421051906

P. S you don't need to hold all sorts of buttons to do it. Just good timing. Jump, throw hat, press ground pound and then you again to dive forward, for the second dive just throw hat again ground pound and you to dive again.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/iamtonyfarrell/status/955920951622877184
    That's a better example.

Advertisement