Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Hmm I'm finding Odyssey a bit of a chore at the moment and the motion control feels a bit odd. Maybe a bit more time is needed to fully get to grips with everything.

It does look lovely though.

I put it on for a little while last night to try it out - I don't like the motion controls at all. No doubt I'd get used to ithem if I stuck with it but will use the Pro Controller instead - don't care if there are certain moves I won't be able to do. It's kind of irritating Nintendo feel the need to stick with it imo. The game itself looks like it's going to be tons of fun but I'm going to stick to playing Zelda for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You can complete all of odysessy bar about 3 moons without motion gestures.

Motion controls are entirely optional tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Turtwig wrote: »
    You can complete all of odysessy bar about 3 moons without motion gestures.

Motion controls are entirely optional tbh.

Cheers. Will defo stick with the pro controller so. Doubt I'd have the time to hunt down all the moons anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm a fair bit into it now I think, just on the Luncheon Kingdom. Have more or less played the entire thing in handheld mode and its been fine, few times where that spinning capy thing would be handy but its been grand without it. I'm enjoying it at times but not as good as I thought it would be, some it is a real slog and the camera can be wonky at crucial parts which can be frustrating. I've been bombing through most kingdoms once I have enough moons I head on unless I find them interesting. New Donk City was good, i've hated all the water levels as I always have in mario games, the controls just don't work underwater and I get seriously annoyed with it.

I'm glad I played this first as the first few levels were really enjoyable and had me grinning from ear to ear, just kind of ran out of steam then though that could just be me. Going to finish it tonight hopefully or maybe tomorrow and will move on to BotW then. Hoping to pick up Golf Story as well and probably Stardew Valley even though I have it on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I'm a fair bit into it now I think, just on the Luncheon Kingdom. Have more or less played the entire thing in handheld mode and its been fine, few times where that spinning capy thing would be handy but its been grand without it. I'm enjoying it at times but not as good as I thought it would be, some it is a real slog and the camera can be wonky at crucial parts which can be frustrating. I've been bombing through most kingdoms once I have enough moons I head on unless I find them interesting. New Donk City was good, i've hated all the water levels as I always have in mario games, the controls just don't work underwater and I get seriously annoyed with it.

I'm glad I played this first as the first few levels were really enjoyable and had me grinning from ear to ear, just kind of ran out of steam then though that could just be me. Going to finish it tonight hopefully or maybe tomorrow and will move on to BotW then. Hoping to pick up Golf Story as well and probably Stardew Valley even though I have it on PS4.

I found the game peaked at the start, lulled in the middle as you said but came back really well in the last few levels. The ending for me in particular I really enjoyed

I’m actually enjoying collecting all the power moons at the minute

• Advertisement

I found the game peaked at the start, lulled in the middle as you said but came back really well in the last few levels. The ending for me in particular I really enjoyed

I’m actually enjoying collecting all the power moons at the minute

Ah thats good to hear. Just came across the Hammer Brothers in Luncheon kingdom and was delighted. Was like going back in time to when the family had NES. I can't see myself going back for all the moons but I might. I love the 2D platform parts, absolutely class all of them. More I play of them the more I think I need a NES mini.

Ah thats good to hear. Just came across the Hammer Brothers in Luncheon kingdom and was delighted. Was like going back in time to when the family had NES. I can't see myself going back for all the moons but I might. I love the 2D platform parts, absolutely class all of them. More I play of them the more I think I need a NES mini.

Yes, yes you do.

A DLC with ‘retro kingdom’ and I’d literally write Nintendo a blank cheque

Yes, yes you do.

A DLC with ‘retro kingdom’ and I’d literally write Nintendo a blank cheque

Jesus yeah a Retro kingdom would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Guffy

The throw backs to smb are my favourite parts so far tbh.

Just finished it tonight, watching credits now. As I said earlier, loved the start, got bored in the middle but the end was epic.
    Loved the robot Broodal or whatever its called, class boss fight. Thought the other broodal fights at the end were a bit rubbish. Same as previous ones just slightly harder. Bowser boss fight was good but took me ages to figure out the timing on the fire. I'd say my favourite parts of the whole game were still the 2D bits, just loved them. The second last level in Bowsers castle was a close second, those poke things were a really fun mechanic and i'll definitely be going back there to explore. I see the Mushroom kingdom is available now the credits end. Is there any further kingdoms or is that the end game and I can just go back and explore now?

Overall, I really enjoyed parts of it but found others a total chore. I found myself thinking at times how is this so highly rated but then I'd come across a kingdom and say oh **** this amazing so I suppose it depends on your tolerance for crappy kingdoms. I hated all the water ones, most of the snow ones. The rest I enjoyed. Its an 8/10 game for me personally as I just couldn't stand certain kingdoms but delighted I played it and has really convinced me the switch was a good purchase. Going to get stuck into Zelda now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

That's the thing. Not every kingdom will appeal to everyone.

As for my favourite Switch game, it's BotW for me, with Odyssey being second.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I see the Mushroom kingdom is available now the credits end. Is there any further kingdoms or is that the end game and I can just go back and explore now?
    Both! The big metal cubes can now be activated, giving loads more tasks in each Kingdom, and you'll unlock new kingdoms too as you acquire moons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Lads if you just "finished" the game it's really only starting. Time to learn the advanced Mario moves and get collecting the hundreds of moons out their. I promise you this is where the best parts are. What you have played so far is aimed at the entire audience of the game including kids so there's not a big challenge. Now it's time to put the kids to bed and get serious.
    Report back after you've collected at least 500 moons. Koopa free running is my favourite challenges at the moment.

iamtony wrote: »
    Lads if you just "finished" the game it's really only starting. Time to learn the advanced Mario moves and get collecting the hundreds of moons out their. I promise you this is where the best parts are. What you have played so far is aimed at the entire audience of the game including kids so there's not a big challenge. Now it's time to put the kids to bed and get serious.
    Report back after you've collected at least 500 moons. Koopa free running is my favourite challenges at the moment.
    I spotted that in the mushroom kingdom with the toad in the castle. Loads of interesting looking stuff there. Will definitely go back to it.

It wasn't a difficult game allright and I'm looking forward to heading back to some of the kingdoms. Going to play a bit of BoTW now but can see myself firing up Mario every now and then and collecting a few moons. I'm nowhere near 500, think i've around 150 but can't remember now.

Side note, how do I see how many hours i've put into a game? Curios as didn't feel that long playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I spotted that in the mushroom kingdom with the toad in the castle. Loads of interesting looking stuff there. Will definitely go back to it.

It wasn't a difficult game allright and I'm looking forward to heading back to some of the kingdoms. Going to play a bit of BoTW now but can see myself firing up Mario every now and then and collecting a few moons. I'm nowhere near 500, think i've around 150 but can't remember now.

Side note, how do I see how many hours i've put into a game? Curios as didn't feel that long playing it.

From the home screen go to your profile page in the top left of the screen. It should be their. You've probably played 10 or 15 hours. Which is only scratching the surface

If you can't do this, you haven't even played the game yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Have just played less than 2 hours of this, unsurprisingly I think it's amazing, such a sense of adventure, exploration and wonderment.

Anyway, are the Amiibos worth getting for this game? I don't collect Amiibos.

iamtony wrote: »
    Koopa free running is my favourite challenges at the moment.

Any tips on this? I literally can’t win one race in any kingdom. Find the time a bit tight. Finished 2nd once and it was an absolute push. I’ve been taking shortcuts as much as I could but seems quite difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Use long jumps and anything that boosts speed, along with short cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Any tips on this? I literally can’t win one race in any kingdom. Find the time a bit tight. Finished 2nd once and it was an absolute push. I’ve been taking shortcuts as much as I could but seems quite difficult

Best thing to do is to follow the leading Koopa and copy what he does. Once you've mastered that, chained long-jumps will give you an edge, as it's faster than running.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Also using the roll with joy con motion control gives you a great boost on flat terrain, especially near the end where it's always a flatter finish near the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Star Lord wrote: »
    Use long jumps and anything that boosts speed, along with short cuts.

This.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Best thing to do is to follow the leading Koopa and copy what he does. Once you've mastered that, chained long-jumps will give you an edge, as it's faster than running.

And this. But not just the 'lead' Koopa they all take different paths, and some Koopas do some segments better than the overall winner. Observe them all. If nothing else it will show you some really interesting modes of traversal.
    Corholio wrote: »
    Also using the roll with joy con motion control gives you a great boost on flat terrain, especially near the end where it's always a flatter finish near the goal.

It's probably faster overall not use motion control and just keep the rhtym of the rolls correct. Mashing roll as fast possible is actually slower. It's hard to explain as I don't fully understand the mechanic myself but you gotta pace the roll to the contact with the gradient and keep mario's momentum up. Like a swing, or a pendulum, at a certain cycle in his roll if you press 'Y' or 'waggle the controller' he'll maintain top speed. I think motion control gives you have a faster overall speed but the precision required for maintaining the higher level momentum is much harder. Much more consistent to just stick to analogue inputs and time the rolls frame perfectly. Even over shorter spans of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

I'm watching this speed-run in complete awe: https://www.speedrun.com/run/y9786gnm

Am I correct in assuming that this guy was most likely using the Pro controller?

Man, is the
    postgame
    ******* awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭wolfe

Super Mario Oddysey is great! whoever doesnt have the game should buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,912 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've just hit 210 moons and just about to go to the Luncheon Kingdom. Is this a lot for this far in the game?

Welp, more than I had when I reached there.

Welp, more than I had when I reached there.

I haven't gone back to any previous world's (bar Cap Kingdom) so I wasn't sure. Managing to collect the majority of the purple coins in each level as well.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    I've just hit 210 moons and just about to go to the Luncheon Kingdom. Is this a lot for this far in the game?

You are most certainly exploring for sure. I did the same.
    Drive on as you are it's fine. Hard to explain without spoiling really until you complete the game.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You are most certainly exploring for sure. I did the same.
    Drive on as you are it's fine. Hard to explain without spoiling really until you complete the game.

Not really going out of my way but if I see something a bit odd I'll have a look at it. I'd guess it's after years of playing games if something looks out of place there's usually something hidden there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Not really going out of my way but if I see something a bit odd I'll have a look at it. I'd guess it's after years of playing games if something looks out of place there's usually something hidden there.

Especially after playing Breath of the Wild. Is it even possible to go from point A to point B without getting sidetracked?

Advertisement