Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

madmoe wrote: »
    WOW! I have been practising the dive onto cappy move the past few days as I want to use it in a certain race! I am finding it super hard to execute time after time though, I can get it now and again!! I do a triple jump then at the top of the third jump press and hold Y to get cappy to stay in one position. I then press Z which would normally ground pound but he dives towards cappy and then at the same time I quickly let go of Y and then press it again. Mario most of the time does the dive but does not bounce on cappy so I can throw him again for the second time and then dive onto him. What am I doing wrong? I would LOVE to master this and be able to do it as needed! I've looked at a few videos but have found none that explain it really well :-(

Thanks

Once you throw Cappy keep 'Y' held. Don't release it. Now Ground pound. The very second you see the ground pound 'animation' or hear 'flip' sound, let go of 'Y' and press it again immediately and hold.

So it's basically, roll, long jump, throw cappy, hold cappy, ground pound, "release" cappy, dive, hold cappy, bounce on cappy, throw cappy, hold cappy, ground pound, release cappy, dive, hold, fall through cappy (you cannot bounce on him more than once in succession). Note: A wall jump breaks this sequence.
    Second Note: when you exit a 'capture' you cannot bounce on cappy either until you wall jump or touch the ground with mario's feet.

It's a genius design mechanic imo.

The broodals are arguably the worst thing about this game. I just don't find any of these boss fights particularly fun now. They're arguably the only element I really don't want to replay. Contrast that to the final battle in Metroid Samus Returns which I've replayed over 30 times now because it's just great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Mushroom Kingdom? Any point collecting all those moons? I'm finding it really boring. I'm finished the story now and can't see much point playing any more.

<spoiler> Kingdom? Any point collecting all those moons? I'm finding it really boring. I'm finished the story now and can't see much point playing any more.

Some of the moons are super creative. Some, less so. Open some of the cubes and see if you are still having fun. If not, then move onto something that's fun. You might get the itch for this game again sometime. Or you might not.

Just to say, I think we've all had moments in this game where it's like. Yeah, I think it's getting a little boring but then a change of environment or discovery of a moon leads to another few hours whizzing by. There are definitely periods I found where the game sort of entered a bit of lull but simply the joy in controlling Mario kept me going through the motions of sorts until my next major discovery that ended up sparking up another chain of fun platforming and exploration. And decades of hours later, I'm still playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Up to 515 moons now (after 35 hours or so). Absolutely joyful game that would be my GOTY in any other year (BOTW deserves it that little bit more).

The level unlocked at 500 moons is crazy hard and I may be at my limit of skills trying to complete it.

I would love a quick sequel similar to Galaxy 2 and I think the capture mechanic allows for a load more creative ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is there much to be gained from acquiring moons after 500 bar getting them for the fun of it?

Doubt I'm going to 100% it in the end, so might be time to move on to other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Not that I've done it, ended up parking Mario when XC2 arrived

Mod Edit - Spoiler Tags Added (contains late game unlockables)
    Gold Mario Cap – 520 Power Moons
    Metal Mario Suit (64-era) – 540 Power Moons
    Metal Mario Cap (64-era) – 560 Power Moons

If you’re able to collect all 883 (!) Moons in Super Mario Odyssey, here’s what you’ll unlock.

The Odyssey’s sail will turn gold.
    A new portrait of Bowser will appear in the Wedding Hall.
    The Wedding Hall is located on the Moon Kingdom.
    You can also collect up to 999 Moons — just spend cash at the Crazy Cap shops and buy up all the moons until you hit the maximum amount.

Go back to Princess Peach’s Castle in the Mushroom Kingdom, and you’ll find something new — you can kick off a celebratory fireworks show whenever you want.
    Activate the scarecraw to the left of the castle, climb the stairs, then hit the second scarecrow to create a pole. Shimmy up to the top of the huge hat and swing Cappy at the metal piece in the center to start the fireworks show.
    That doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but take a trip to the Moon Kingdom and check out the portrait for a surprise. The new portrait is located on the right as you enter, and lets you re-fight Bowser with a twist.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not looking at that info incase it's filled with spoilers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Keep that in mind from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Turtwig wrote: »
    Some of the moons are super creative. Some, less so. Open some of the cubes and see if you are still having fun. If not, then move onto something that's fun. You might get the itch for this game again sometime. Or you might not.

Just to say, I think we've all had moments in this game where it's like. Yeah, I think it's getting a little boring but then a change of environment or discovery of a moon leads to another few hours whizzing by. There are definitely periods I found where the game sort of entered a bit of lull but simply the joy in controlling Mario kept me going through the motions of sorts until my next major discovery that ended up sparking up another chain of fun platforming and exploration. And decades of hours later, I'm still playing.

I loved the game, but the moons were always related to moving the story along. Now it just seems to be for those who like to collect every unlock.

I've BOTW, Skyrim and LA Noire landing tomorrow as well a Telltale batman to start playing but Ive been spending a lot of time moon collecting. Perhaps it is time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

How is everyone finding this game now? Is it too open worldy or is the fun and magic of the original Mario's still in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

How is everyone finding this game now? Is it too open worldy or is the fun and magic of the original Mario's still in there?

The fun is still there. But I'm not a completionist. I'm pretty much done with the game. No major desire to go back and collect every moon. But will probably dip back in every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I’ve put about 40 hours into it and honestly think it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played. I think it even edges BOTW for game of the year for me.

I hope to have the same level of fun you all had with the game, in under 10 days' time. Pretty sure I will.

tailgunner wrote: »
    I’ve put about 40 hours into it and honestly think it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played. I think it even edges BOTW for game of the year for me.

I've still about 50 or 60 hours short of my total time spent in BOTW. Recency bias may also be an issue here. It does feel though like Odyssesy was the most fun I've had in a game in a long long time. That said, I can see why it's not going to be everyone's Mario game though. The exploration and route ad libbing is a very different Mario flavour to Galaxies and 3D world's linears paths and sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

The exploration and route ad libbing is a very different Mario flavour to Galaxies and 3D world's linears paths and sequences.

Yeah, I just found the Galaxies and 3D World a little too linear, and the level timers too restrictive when I wanted to go exploring. Odyssey feels like the first true sequel to Mario 64, which was probably my favourite Mario game till now.

Conversely, even though I put about 50 hours into BOTW and really enjoyed it, it's just not my kind of Zelda game.

tailgunner wrote: »
    Conversely, even though I put about 50 hours into BOTW and really enjoyed it, it's just not my kind of Zelda game.

Maybe you like a middle ground between open-endedness and linearity, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

So santy brought the switch with mario but didnt the ejit sit down with a beer and play half the game... can someone tell me how to delete the save file without deleting the game (no internet at mrs claus's hous to redownload it)

Its ok.. figured it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭geotrig

Guffy wrote: »
    So santy brought the switch with mario but didnt the ejit sit down with a beer and play half the game... can someone tell me how to delete the save file without deleting the game (no internet at mrs claus's hous to redownload it)

Try starting a new game and see if it will let you overwrite the previous save file , or maybe add another user name with a . or something and then delete the original user

Start up the game.
    Options.
    Data management.
    Delete.
    Delete all save files.
    (You really should only have to delete one, unless Santy really splurged on the game.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its ok.. figured it out :D

Drink more beer.... Forget your troubles.... Inform kid that Elves must have tested the game :pac:

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Drink more beer.... Forget your troubles.... Inform kid that Elves must have tested the game :pac:

That was the plan :D

I'm curious, what was the elves impression of the game?

I'm sure they were impressed like the rest of us.

Ya it was pretty decent. I mean its no super mario bros 3, but good nonetheless ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ya it was pretty decent. I mean its no super mario bros 3, but good nonetheless ;)

No game will ever top playing SMB3 at Christmas back when it was new. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Have played a decent bit of Odyssey, parts of it I love then other times I can't wait to get to the next Kingdom. I'm just passed New Donk City and on the Snow kingdom and just finding it a slog so end up switching off after a few attempts go wrong.

From what I've played, I like it. I'm especially looking forward to getting to New Donk City.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Guffy wrote:
    Ya it was pretty decent. I mean its no super mario bros 3, but good nonetheless

Andrew76 wrote:
    No game will ever top playing SMB3 at Christmas back when it was new.

Playing SMB 3 on the nes classic right now for the first time in 20 years. Christmas day happiness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hmm I'm finding Odyssey a bit of a chore at the moment and the motion control feels a bit odd. Maybe a bit more time is needed to fully get to grips with everything.

It does look lovely though.

Advertisement