Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers mentioning/promoting products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mad about nuts

Esp when they dont make it clear if they purchased or not.Instead they spout the line"I got this today" which is no indication if it was a freebie or purchased.Its really sly. Have sent snaps to grace about it and no reply.was blocked by jj but not before shesent me a message to say she is always transparent with her followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

Esp when they dont make it clear if they purchased or not.Instead they spout the line"I got this  today" which is no indication if it was a freebie or purchased.Its really sly. Have sent snaps to grace about it and no reply.was blocked by jj but not before shesent me a message to say she is always transparent with her followers.
    She believes her own lies!!! and even when she tries to be transparent she can't even spell #ad :angel: #add :woot: gas!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

What I've noticed recently is that when influencers show us what they've been sent, they rarely thank the brands anymore. It seems that only a massive haul impresses them and deserves a thanks.

I'm not impressed hearing on here about people being blocked for simply asking questions. It's the digital version of "Talk to the hand." It would be much more engaging to challenge the question if they disagree with it rather than blocking the person who asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

What I've noticed recently is that when influencers show us what they've been sent, they rarely thank the brands anymore. It seems that only a massive haul impresses them and deserves a thanks.

I'm not impressed hearing on here about people being blocked for simply asking questions. It's the digital version of "Talk to the hand." It would be much more engaging to challenge the question if they disagree with it rather than blocking the person who asked.

Yes, how ungrateful on their parts not to say a simple, mannerly thank you to whatever company may have sent them items. Too big for their sponsored boots I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

ratmouse wrote: »
    I don't believe that she's above the others at all.

When I say above I meant When she first started her own business I thought she had moved on from all that constant promoting.
    But she's as bad if not worse for the non transparency .
    You can't be a business woman and a non transparent product pushing blogger she's discrediting herself by doing both.

After plugging her engagement ring and now Louis Copeland suits it's turned me right off her.

I hope someone recorded him promoting Louis Copeland and reported to the ASAI

• Advertisement

Esp when they dont make it clear if they purchased or not.Instead they spout the line"I got this today" which is no indication if it was a freebie or purchased.Its really sly. Have sent snaps to grace about it and no reply.was blocked by jj but not before shesent me a message to say she is always transparent with her followers.

Well that's a joke she's the least transparent she's constantly putting one snap up of a company with no disclosure.
    Her and grace hide these ads between endless baby snaps.

Cria wrote: »
    When I say above I meant When she first started her own business I thought she had moved on from all that constant promoting.
    But she's as bad if not worse for the non transparency .
    You can't be a business woman and a non transparent product pushing blogger she's discrediting herself by doing both.

After plugging her engagement ring and now Louis Copeland suits it's turned me right off her.

I hope someone recorded him promoting Louis Copeland and reported to the ASAI

I hope so too Cria. Makes you wonder though, do they actually go in and approach the Louis Copeland store and ask (#begging) for free items or did the store approach them. I highly doubt the latter. Do some of these bloggers have no shame in terms of always trying to get freebies. Is there something wrong with spending their own money?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Cria why don't you report it???

This os the reply I got about affiliate links.

In regards to affiliate links, we would consider that once there is a commercial relationship involved, the blogger should advise at the beginning of the post of same.

Our understanding is that often a blog post can be non-commercial and contain affiliate links. While the blog itself isn't advertising, the links are commission based and therefore the blogger should notify readers on the same page that the links are commercial. A note on the about us page would not be sufficient.

Our website has further details on recognisability of marketing communications, including a guidance note and podcast, which you may find useful. http://www.asai.ie/press-releases/advertising-standards-authority-for-ireland-calls-on-bloggers-and-influencers-to-fully-declare-marketing-communications/

idunno78 wrote: »
    This os the reply I got about affiliate links.

In regards to affiliate links, we would consider that once there is a commercial relationship involved, the blogger should advise at the beginning of the post of same.

Our understanding is that often a blog post can be non-commercial and contain affiliate links. While the blog itself isn't advertising, the links are commission based and therefore the blogger should notify readers on the same page that the links are commercial. A note on the about us page would not be sufficient.

Our website has further details on recognisability of marketing communications, including a guidance note and podcast, which you may find useful. http://www.asai.ie/press-releases/advertising-standards-authority-for-ireland-calls-on-bloggers-and-influencers-to-fully-declare-marketing-communications/

Thanks for letting us know the response. I think the key words in their response are "should", that suggests that it isn't mandatory unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Cria why don't you report it???

I don't follow sues partner so I don't have access to his snaps I only know what I read here.

ratmouse wrote: »
    I hope so too Cria. Makes you wonder though, do they actually go in and approach the Louis Copeland store and ask (#begging) for free items or did the store approach them. I highly doubt the latter. Do some of these bloggers have no shame in terms of always trying to get freebies. Is there something wrong with spending their own money?

They would have approached and offered them the coverage,
    I'd say louis will be plugged at the wedding too.
    As they say no shame in the game it wouldn't bother me if they were honest about the freebie.

Sorry Cria I thought it was you who saw it! I have replied to them suggesting adding the usage of the #affiliate to posts.

Sorry Cria I thought it was you who saw it! I have replied to them suggesting adding the usage of the #affiliate to posts.

No problem :) .. I hope they do add #affiliate it is technically a paid ad after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I have so little faith in most of them now that unless they actually say the words 'I bought this myself', I assume it is gifted/freebie etc. Trying to word it cleverly, ie, 'I picked this up', or 'I received this today' all in my mind mean that it was sent and should be #ad, #bloggermail, #affiliate etc. The blogger market has become so saturated at this point I can see it dying a death in the coming years, and of course all the dishonesty, bitchy replies, and blocking etc doesnt help them. If only more of their loyal followers were seeing how these people respond to any kind of questions, I am sure there would be less arse licking. My God like if I spoke to someone in my work the way this lot do when they are questioned, I'd actually be fired! Totally agree with what someone above said re 'talk to the hand', they just don't care unless you are kissing ass (expect for a very small number who are more honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I never realised just how popular style me curvy is in the UK. She got invites to some pretty big LFW shows, including Mulberry. The invite was amazing, a little real mulberry purse.
    I'm so surprised none of the other big bloggers got invites like this.
    SJ got some invites also, but she had to google how to pronounce one of designers names who she was attending. Not very good for promoting the brand in my opinion.

Can we get back to talking about the thread topic please :) PM each other if you have issues.

Absolutely love Doireann Garrihys snaps. She's been sent so many free stuff recently, and she is genuinely grateful. It's nice to see. She shows it all, thanks the senders, uses the stuff and enjoys it! Its clear to see shes not being paid, she mentioning them because shes grateful! Looking at the snaps I'm like thats deadly, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I saw Rosie Connolly's snaps today with the RSA, and someone snapped her and told her her #ad was hard to see as she had it placed at the very bottom of the screen where it's barely visible as "chat" is also written there. I was impressed with how she came on to clarify that this was a mistake on her behalf and she will have it printed on the middle of the screen in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Can we get back to talking about the thread topic please :) PM each other if you have issues.

Absolutely love Doireann Garrihys snaps. She's been sent so many free stuff recently, and she is genuinely grateful. It's nice to see. She shows it all, thanks the senders, uses the stuff and enjoys it! Its clear to see shes not being paid, she mentioning them because shes grateful! Looking at the snaps I'm like thats deadly, fair play.

I'm the same! Love her ... I do follow siobhan OH as well but have found over the weekend she's gone mental with the posts but not one hashtag of ad or spon... the protein pancakes, workout gear affiliate linked, a free cross trainer... none of it? She said about the cross trainer that it was given to her to help her out by the company... it's that fuzzy area isn't it...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Absolutley love Doireann Garrihy snaps. She's been sent so many free stuff recently, and she is genuinely grateful. It's nice to see. She shows it all, thanks the senders, uses the stuff and enjoys it! Its clear to see shes not being paid, she mentioning them because shes grateful!

Yes plus she doesnt overkill with the snaps and its not all about what shes been sent. Shes a genuinely funny person.

In all honesty if some of the offenders actually did interesting stuff or topics on their snaps their content would be so much better.
    Like i know James Kavanagh doesnt ad all the time but he also doesnt spend every snap flogging something or pouring tea/baby talking to a child. He talks about stuff, or does impressions. His sex ed talks were a great idea in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Agree re Doireann, I just reallllly hope she won't go down the road of her snaps becoming freebies and ads. I know if I was in her shoes I'd be thrilled to be getting stuff too, but it's tedious when everyone does it. At least her stuff is different and a bit of a laugh (like he stuff from Stork for her mum after all the buns!). I think she is gas and love her snaps. 

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bunch of offtopic removed and a ban handed out.

I am not really sure but it could be the tenth ban handed out in this thread.
    Don't be number eleven.

Ray37 wrote: »
    Agree re Doireann, I just reallllly hope she won't go down the road of her snaps becoming freebies and ads. I know if I was in her shoes I'd be thrilled to be getting stuff too, but it's tedious when everyone does it. At least her stuff is different and a bit of a laugh (like he stuff from Stork for her mum after all the buns!). I think she is gas and love her snaps. 

Did you see the place in Cork that sent her the cable ties for her TV? so funny.

Now, great free advertising for the companies, but sure thats what their social media team are paid for I suppose.

I have to say I did have a good auld lol at that! Fair play to them, see I dont think people mind as much when the stuff received is funny/interesting. It's just the deluge of the same make up (if I see one more Stila highlighter I am going to scream!!) that bores me to death, and I adore make up so that surely says something about the sheer amout of promo going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

SJ got some invites also, but she had to google how to pronounce one of designers names who she was attending. Not very good for promoting the brand in my opinion.

I could be wrong but AFAIK Suzanne is there as a MAC guest. I think it said it on one of the invites she had on snapchat or instastories today. There is no way she's being invited by designers etc. There is no way that some of the shows she'd been to would be her aesthetic or style. I was genuinely surprised to see her at the Mary Katranzou show and in her clothes because it did not look like the sosu that we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

anna080 wrote: »
    I saw Rosie Connolly's snaps today with the RSA, and someone snapped her and told her her #ad was hard to see as she had it placed at the very bottom of the screen where it's barely visible as "chat" is also written there. I was impressed with how she came on to clarify that this was a mistake on her behalf and she will have it printed on the middle of the screen in future.

I've actually warmed to her lately since she has been making an effort to be transparent. It's changed my perception of her. I still tap through a lot of the Harry snaps, cute as he is, but don't automatically close her down when she's plugging something now, when she is being upfront about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I thought the Mary Katrantzou was an odd choice too because she didn't look great in the absolutely cringey hopping into the car and chatting on the phone paparazzi type photos.

I unfollowed Dzylan ages ago cos he seems to have the personality of plywood, but I doubt Louis Copeland paid him to wear the clothes, therefore wouldn't be an ad.
    If anyone follows Triona McCarthy she went up to him today and said why are you not wearing socks it was funny. He seemed to be just standing around waiting for Sue in the snaps, scarleh.

anna080 wrote: »

That's good to see she's really making an effort to be transparent

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I've actually warmed to her lately since she has been making an effort to be transparent. It's changed my perception of her. I still tap through a lot of the Harry snaps, cute as he is, but don't automatically close her down when she's plugging something now, when she is being upfront about it.
    I'm the same she's getting better to watch i tap through all the child snaps too gets a bit boring. But apart from that I'm starting to watch her again a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 wanderlust20

SJ has to be one of the worst out there. Not only does she rarely disclose herself, she doesn't enforce it for her own business. If anybody follows bybrookelle she's a well known beauty instagrammer from New Zealand. She put up a post about her products clearly an ad with no mention. And if you click into the hashtags there are several other promotions, (one girl from TOWIE I think) and none of them #ad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement